Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148073 - 03/20/11 07:03 PM clothing
skysail Offline

Loc: chicago
I was wondering how many pairs of clothes people bring on a week long trip like the AT. I know im going to have to carry one set of clean clothes for the trip home, but on average, during the summer how much do people usually bring? How do you wash your clothes besides going to a laundromat.

#148080 - 03/20/11 08:44 PM Re: clothing [Re: skysail]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
We use lightweight synthetic shirts and pants...and wash them once every 2-3 days on the trail. Then we just put them on and keep walking. No need to carry a pack full of laundry, dirty or clean.

Undies and socks: 2 pair. One gets washed while we wear the other. ANd we can go for weeks with that system.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#148086 - 03/20/11 09:10 PM Re: clothing [Re: balzaccom]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I pretty much wear one set of clothing the whole time, and one set of base layer to sleep in. So usually a pair of syntheic pants or convertible pants, a pair of synthetic undies, and a synthetic shirt on me.

in my back will be a change of undies (1) sleeping socks, synthetic long johns (top and bottom) that I sleep in, a long sleeve shirt and an insulating layer like a fleece or down sweater.

I will wash out socks and undies, and that pretty much consists of scrubbing them out on a rock. not "doing laundry".

I tend to try to wash *myself* quite frequently - that avoids the funk more than the clothing.

I will have clean clothing to go back in, but that stays in the car - I don't carry it with me.
Browse my pictures

#148089 - 03/20/11 09:46 PM Re: clothing [Re: skysail]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I bring a change of socks, and a change of underwear. Depending on weather forecast, I might also take a spare T-shirt and shorts, and a second chang of socks. This is in addition to rain gear, which doubles as wind garments.

Cold weather adds in a set of long johns (which may end up being worn most of the time), down jacket, and (depending on temperatures) a down vest and down pants. Also the accessories: hat, gloves, and such.

#148093 - 03/20/11 11:28 PM Re: clothing [Re: skysail]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Fully agree with the previous posts.

For a 4+ month trip on the AT last year I took one pair of pants, one long sleeved and one short sleeved shirt (the latter a smartwool "town shirt"), one pair of underwear and a pair of shorts that work as both secondary underwear and pants to wear in town while washing the one pair. Two or three pairs of liner socks, one or two pairs of wool socks (two in colder weather).
That's it, apart from warmer outerwear which varied based on time of year.

Just make sure all of your clothing is synthetic (or smartwool if you're inclined), and quick drying stuff.
I didn't have a clean set of clothing for the trip home; I just put on my shorts and town shirt to wash my trail clothes and wore those.

How to wash besides at a laundromat: in the sink or bathtub in hostel or motel. Again, quick drying clothing, generally dry by morning (don't wash the thick wool socks unless you have access to a dryer ...). Note that some hostels and motels along the AT have a washer and dryer; it's always a good idea to ask at any rate.

Edited by BrianLe (03/20/11 11:28 PM)

#148112 - 03/21/11 01:01 PM Re: clothing [Re: skysail]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
For a week long trip in warm weather I would take one extra pair of jockey shorts (yes cotton) and 2 spare cotton tee shirts - some "no-rinse body bath" and a small deodorant stick.
I started camping decades ago in all cotton including levis and I have returned to that for warm weather in Oregon. Cold weather is a dofferent story.
Jim

#148115 - 03/21/11 01:51 PM Re: clothing [Re: skysail]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My rule is to take no more clothing than I would wear all at one time in the worst conditions I might encounter on the particular trip. Exception: one extra pair of socks.

I don't take extra undies because I can rinse mine out and they dry in maybe 30-45 minutes--I go without while they're drying. Or I can put them back on wet and my body heat dries them in about that time. I fell in love with ExOfficio underwear several years ago and wear it all the time, not just for backpacking. They make men's underwear, too. I've found it far better than cotton for hot weather.

I don't worry about dirt because everyone else out there is dirty, too. Occasionally, though, there's the problem of food spills, something you probably don't want in the tent. With modern synthetic fabrics you can rinse them out and they'll dry as fast as the undies, whether hanging on a bush or on the body. Or you can just spot-clean. I take a 2-gallon plastic bag to use for washing. I don't use soap, but I still want to dump the water 200 feet away from any water source (I don't want anyone to have to drink my dirty socks!). My rain gear is always available to keep me covered during the laundry process.

My change of clothes stays in my car at the trailhead.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/21/11 01:52 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum