Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147694 - 03/12/11 10:32 PM Smartphone
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
My dad surprised me today by getting me an Incredible smartphone on the Android system. I downloaded the Backpackers GPS Lite App for free. I was wondering if anyone else got any Apps that are related to backpacking or hiking. I wasn't really planning to use this for GPS or navigational purpose, but more of trip planning and emergency. I know SPOT has a satellite bluetooth where you can send out S.O.S. calls and update your position VIA satellite, but it's $100 a year subscription... I figured if there an App on here with really cool maps and stuff I could plan out future trips with it while eating lunch or between classes or whenever. Or just simply use it to update my position in case I'm alone, so my parents or anybody that cares mind will be at ease. lol.

#147698 - 03/13/11 01:13 AM Re: Smartphone [Re: ETSU Pride]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I've been using Gaia GPS on the iphone - it's also available on android - It's not too bad. My only problem with the iphone is battery life.

the main thing I've been using my phone for on hikes has not been that - it's been reading - using the amazon kindle app. the phone is lighter than a paperback - and the battery lasts a good long while in airplane mode. Trouble is I do have to take it out of airplane mode to use it as a gps, and then I may find I'm not reading to instead use the phone for gps.. so the jury is still out on whether I use the phone, or get a separate gps.

Browse my pictures

#147700 - 03/13/11 06:30 AM Re: Smartphone [Re: ETSU Pride]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
My dad surprised me today by getting me an Incredible smartphone on the Android system. I downloaded the Backpackers GPS Lite App for free. I was wondering if anyone else got any Apps that are related to backpacking or hiking. I wasn't really planning to use this for GPS or navigational purpose, but more of trip planning and emergency. I know SPOT has a satellite bluetooth where you can send out S.O.S. calls and update your position VIA satellite, but it's $100 a year subscription... I figured if there an App on here with really cool maps and stuff I could plan out future trips with it while eating lunch or between classes or whenever. Or just simply use it to update my position in case I'm alone, so my parents or anybody that cares mind will be at ease. lol.

To just update your position without having to have the GPS on constantly, try Google Latitude.

Other apps:

Backcountry Navigator. It isn't free, but you can download maps for offline use.

My Tracks. Free basic breadcrumb track maker. Uses google maps. Gives basic trip info.

As was stated, the GPS use will drain the battery faster than any other use. Thrifty use of any GPS based apps can make them useful for backwoods travel. For example, turning it on to upload position with Latitude or mark waypoint on My Tracks or BC Navigator.

#147702 - 03/13/11 11:08 AM Re: Smartphone [Re: DTape]
ETSU Pride Offline

HTC Incredible doesn't have that great of battery life either. lol. I think all smartphones are like that. May have to get a little hand crank charger or solar charger. If they make a charger that is compact and lightweight.

#147704 - 03/13/11 11:55 AM Re: Smartphone [Re: ETSU Pride]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
If a charger isn't feasible, can you get a spare battery to carry along? Then recharge both when you get home. (Remember, I'm a tech idiot - I only use my cell phone to make phone calls.)

#147707 - 03/13/11 02:15 PM Re: Smartphone [Re: Glenn]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Exactly --- spare battery, works great. Solar charger can work well in areas that get a lot of sun, i.e., not hiking under trees all the time, and of course southern latitudes are better. There are also little separate units that take a AA lithium battery and deliver charge, but my personal experience with one of those was poor and I've read mixed reviews; they seem to work pretty well for some people/phones. I've never heard of anyone using hand-cranked units for any real significant power boost.

Apps to consider; I recently posted something about this on a similar Whiteblaze thread, so I'll copy/paste that here:

=================================================

One app you might consider (search the app market) is Droidlight --- turns your phone into a battery-burning flashlight. Obviously something you hope to never use, but maybe as a backup light source, i.e. use to change batteries on your primary for example.

Some sort of book reading software, such as Aldiko. I don't read on the trail much, but can be nice when waiting for your laundry in town or that sort of thing.
I suggest that you look round to find some sort of backcountry first aid book(s) for it.

Consider which browser you like best; maybe not the default one. I'm using Opera Mini now, not sure which is best.

Some sort of software that allows you to journal, if you're inclined (I bring a folding blutooth keyboard for mine). Quickoffice is free, consider installing that.

I like having a voice recorder, so consider something like VirtualRecorder.

I don't like the default calculator, so consider finding a replacement (I prefer RPN calculators and so found one of those).

I suggest that you get the "advanced settings" app so you can turn off the phone "radio" without explicitly going into "airplane mode".

Certainly some good mapping software would be good, I thus far have no experience at this (other than google maps) with this phone.

I suggest that you look at gear manuals for any gear items you carry that are at all complicated (for example, maybe an altitude watch) and find those in pdf form online and put them on your phone. I rather like having gear manuals for several items along with me in electronic form.

I would encourage you to play with the phone quite a bit before starting, try to do all the things you plan to do on-trail while doing day trips or, better yet, some local backpacking. Figure out which icons you need readily available, learn how to use the camera well enough before you lose photos due to lack of familiarity. Above all figure out how to minimize power drain; a particular issue I have with this phone is a relatively slow boot time, thus I'm more inclined to try to keep it "on" with screen turned off, and work hard to eliminate background power-sucking tasks.

I figure I'll really be getting to know my new Droid X by the time I've finished my next long trip ...

#147740 - 03/14/11 12:05 PM Re: Smartphone [Re: ETSU Pride]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I heard the other day where there is an app which lets you make phone calls using a smartphone. Probably only a rumor.

#147748 - 03/14/11 01:44 PM Re: Smartphone [Re: GrumpyGord]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
lol

#147752 - 03/14/11 02:00 PM Re: Smartphone [Re: GrumpyGord]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Heh, the forgotten function!

My bride's jonesing for an iphone now that they're available for Verizon. So she's offered me her HTC as a hand-me-down, but I'd have to pick up the monthly freight of $70, minimum.

Math geeenius that I am, I quickly decided that I'd keep my current dumbphone and pocket the $840/year, thanks. No iphone for spouse, sadly (not really, I'm becoming an Applophobe).

#147779 - 03/14/11 11:11 PM Re: Smartphone [Re: Rick_D]
ETSU Pride Offline

So far I've only loaded my stock portfolio and bunch of business news sources and other news. I really like it so far. I'm getting ready download an office suit apps, so I can use Excel and Powerpoints when I'm away from my laptop. I don't even think I'm going to use navigation system for backpacking or hiking. Just the camera (got a 8 megapixel camera) and probably find a kindle app with some books to read when I'm sitting in the tent.

#147795 - 03/15/11 02:24 AM Re: Smartphone [Re: Rick_D]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Rick_D
Heh, the forgotten function!

My bride's jonesing for an iphone now that they're available for Verizon. So she's offered me her HTC as a hand-me-down, but I'd have to pick up the monthly freight of $70, minimum.

Math geeenius that I am, I quickly decided that I'd keep my current dumbphone and pocket the $840/year, thanks. No iphone for spouse, sadly (not really, I'm becoming an Applophobe).

Rick You just have to embrace the whole Apple cult properly

Here's an instructive guide to owning apple products (warning, comic is probably PG-13 rated.)

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple
Browse my pictures

#147816 - 03/15/11 01:09 PM Re: Smartphone [Re: phat]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Hah! Beautiful, I totally get it (stares at shiny thing).

I kan haz new pad thingie nao? Look, seven gagillion apps since 2010.

Cheers(hic),

Originally Posted By phat
Rick You just have to embrace the whole Apple cult properly

Here's an instructive guide to owning apple products (warning, comic is probably PG-13 rated.)

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

#147916 - 03/17/11 06:56 AM Re: Smartphone [Re: Rick_D]
Wilderness70 Offline

Had the Incredible since day one, and I still love it. Definitely get a second battery. I have a seidio 1750 but it seems to be loosing its charge on me (after 5 months, not bad) so you might want to research them. Also consider either an Ottorbox or Seidio Rugged case for added protection (I own the rugged and love it, fits over the Innocase II Surface).

GPS will annihilate the battery, especially if the phone doesn't have a cell signal to help narrow down your location first. I take my phone with me, but GPS is just for emergencies.

I took the Incredible with me for the first time last September on a two night trip with a buddy and it came in handy. We listened to music for about six hours (in Airplane mode) over the two nights, and I maxed out my digital camera memory card so used the Incredible to take some pictures and they turned out great.

Aldiko is a great app for ebooks if you're interested (as already pointed out), and the Amazon Kindle app will sync with your Kindle if you have one. MortPlayer Audio Books is a great app for audio books (obviously), it has the ability to bookmark points in a single track so you can find it easier after a restart.

Google Sky Map is cool but will need GPS (it shows you the constellations so you can identify them at night).

Edited by Whiskeyguy (03/17/11 06:58 AM)

#147946 - 03/17/11 10:20 PM Re: Smartphone [Re: Wilderness70]
ETSU Pride Offline

I'm getting the Seidio case. Both the innocase II and rugged. Glad to know you like the phone. I'm stuck with it for at least 20 months. haha.

#147950 - 03/17/11 11:02 PM Re: Smartphone [Re: ETSU Pride]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I don't think you need to get a particularly rugged (and thus heavy) case. I've done two long distance trips with my smartphone in a neoprene case on a pack strap, and had no problems as a result. I just put the phone inside a snack-sized ziplock when it's wet out, and took reasonable care along the way.

#147986 - 03/19/11 03:35 AM Re: Smartphone [Re: BrianLe]
Wilderness70 Offline

Originally Posted By BrianLe
I don't think you need to get a particularly rugged (and thus heavy) case. I've done two long distance trips with my smartphone in a neoprene case on a pack strap, and had no problems as a result. I just put the phone inside a snack-sized ziplock when it's wet out, and took reasonable care along the way.

The Rugged isn't very heavy. Basically you have the Innocase Surface II case (for everyday use) which is very thin that fits over the back of the phone. On top of that goes a Silicone skin that creates a pretty good seal over the ports of the phone, and then a plastic skeleton piece that goes over that and protects the corners of the phone. Then you snap the phone screen-first into a holster (that fits wide utility belts) and you have pretty good protection.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum