Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147378 - 03/04/11 08:09 PM Doing backpack research - under 3lbs
vandal99 Offline

I currently have a MEC Brio 62L pack. I want to upgrade to a lighter one, as this one is rated at 2.8kg ~ 6 lbs.

I am looking for a pack that is:

1)approx 3 lbs
2)50 - 65L
3)comfortable
4)would remain comfortable in wet conditions ***
5)the only feature I am interested in is to have 2 access points (top and bottom, or like the Brio, a zipper across the whole height of the pack...anyways a method that would allow me to reach the bottom of the pack.

***I was looking at Golite Pinnacle reviews, several people said that the frame-less backing got ruined after a downpour. While this pack is bigger than I'd like, I was wondering if this may be true for other brands.

For example I really like Granite Gear - Escape and Latitude Vapor. Another one was Osprey-Exos

My price limit is $230-ish.

Any suggestions from other brands? I looked at major websites, and these where my top choices.

PS I'd like to take this pack for my honeymoon this august/septmeber on the Napali coast

Thanks in advance

#147380 - 03/04/11 08:57 PM Re: Doing backpack research - under 3lbs [Re: vandal99]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Not sure about those reviews-- I own a Golite Jam, Pinnacle, Peak and an Ion and have not experienced anything unusual about any of these packs in rain, snow, wind or hail.

Anyway, back to your question. If you are looking for a sub 3lb pack then I would stay away from "mainstream" brands (Osprey, Deuter, Gregory etc) since not only are many of them very expensive, but they tend to be quite a bit over your 3lb limit (with a few exceptions). However, if you want to go to a store and try on packs then the two most common lightweight packs are: Granite Gear's Vapor Trail and Golite's Jam or Pinnacle.

Note: Both the Jam and Pinnacle are currently on sale at Golite.com for 40% off using their code "DSW10"-- also wait until Monday since their clearance page becomes live and you may find those packs discounted even more.

Other brands:
-Gossamer Gear
-Mountain Laurel Designs
-ULA-Equipment

All of these have packs that weigh less than 3lbs, have the required capacity and are in your budget. Also, if you look across the boards you can find quality used packs for great prices.

#147389 - 03/05/11 09:35 AM Re: Doing backpack research - under 3lbs [Re: ChrisFol]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Chris is spot on. I can only add the Six Moon Designs Traveller which is panel loading.

http://sixmoondesigns.com/packs.html?pag...;category_id=11

#147392 - 03/05/11 12:29 PM Re: Doing backpack research - under 3lbs [Re: ringtail]
vandal99 Offline

Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm glad to hear that the Jam/Pinnacle can handle wet weather.
Also, thanks for the suggestions of the other brands that I probably would never find on my own.

And I'll keep an eye out on here for the classifieds.

Edited by vandal99 (03/05/11 12:30 PM)

#147401 - 03/05/11 03:49 PM Re: Doing backpack research - under 3lbs [Re: vandal99]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
You might consider getting a pack cover-I used one down in NZ where it rains regularly. Kauai in August/September will be hot, so keep that in mind as well-Get something that has a breatheable panel against your back, if possible.

I worked on Kauai for a couple of months many years ago-up in the rain forest somewhere and don't remember getting rained on that much, but against the mountains on the Napili side, that is a distinct possibility.

#147407 - 03/05/11 07:04 PM Re: Doing backpack research - under 3lbs [Re: vandal99]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Congrats... I hope you have a joyful marriage. Hawaii is a great place for a honeymoon.

Two access points or a panel loader will severally limit your choices. You might what to rethink this as an requirement. As others have suggested, you could also check out the panel loading packs from Six Moon Designs. You could also keep an eye out for a used Mountainsmith Ghost.

I don't know that any pack is "comfortable" when wet, though packs with a well ventilated back like the Osprey Exos might will be better than the classic frameless pack. There are a bunch of people who really like this pack. I don't use it because the hip belt wasn't right for me.

I have a list of some other light weight backpacks, ignoring your panel / two opening requirement.

--Mark

Edited by verber (03/05/11 07:16 PM)

#147453 - 03/06/11 09:12 PM Re: Doing backpack research - under 3lbs [Re: TomD]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Offtopic, but I hope you find useful

August/September you should still be in the dry season (changes in the fall), but the Napoli coast on Kauai is on the windward (wet) side of the island; trade winds will dump moisture there when the wet air rises to go over the mountains.

Bring bug repellant!! I haven't done the Napoli coast, but wet areas in HI are loaded with mosquitos.

Bed and breakfasts were a good deal on Kauai; if the surf is the color of chocolate milk, don't go swimming!!

#147459 - 03/07/11 06:51 AM Re: Doing backpack research - under 3lbs [Re: Steadman]
lexaaa Offline

#147460 - 03/07/11 09:06 AM Re: Doing backpack research - under 3lbs [Re: vandal99]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I have a panel loading Mountainsmith Cross country. I used it last year. This pack has all sorts of neat pockets etc. 5 pounds though! Tough as nails. With all that organization I feel it is no better than the g4 top loader at a pound. I still couldnt find anything unless I cleaned it out. If you dig bag out of bottom guess what all your other stuff goes there when it is removed! I am organizing more this year with silnylon stuff sacks, and a four pnd lighter pack! Just my particular situation doesnt warrent a panel loader. Food for thought?

#147507 - 03/08/11 10:31 AM Re: Doing backpack research - under 3lbs [Re: vandal99]
jivebaby Offline

I have been using the golite pinnacle since 2007 and never had any problems including the one you decribed. Generally I backpack in the adirondaks, white mountains and vermont three times a year. It even has enough volume for winter trips of 4-5 days. In spring and fall I bring along a sil-nylon cover from equinox.

One nice feature I really like is its ability to collapse down to a smaller volume for day trips from camp. Anyway I highly recommend it and it is my goto pack all year long. I'm still looking for a extra large expedition pack but I never found a reason to actually buy it.

Mike B

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum