Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147111 - 02/28/11 08:39 AM Convertible pants?
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Need some input.

I've always been a shorts guy, whose "long pants" consisted of layering long johns under the shorts for cooler weather, or using my rain pants if I really needed long pants. However, lately I've been on a couple of trips where the long johns weren't enough, or the rain pants were too hot. So, I'm looking at picking up a pair of long nylon pants. (Narrowed it down to the OR Equinox or Equinox Convert pants.)

My question is: Do you all prefer plain old long pants (with perhaps a pair of shorts in the pack), or the zip-off leg style that converts to shorts?

#147112 - 02/28/11 09:56 AM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Glenn]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I have two pair of Columbia XRT zip offs . I love em. I where 1 pair and carry a spare pair. They dry extremly fast, and are very comfortable. Try a pair or something similar, you will not be sorry!

#147113 - 02/28/11 10:01 AM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Glenn]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I 2nd zip-off leg pants. You have the best of both worlds. I read on another site that Walmart have the zip-off pants for 15.00. At that price you could buy quite a few. I bought my gf a pair yesterday at Bass Pro Shops for 20.00.
Oh don't forget to check Goodwill for them. I bought a pair there for 5.00.

Edited by Ewker (02/28/11 10:01 AM)

#147118 - 02/28/11 11:49 AM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Glenn]
nwguy Offline

Hate zip offs. I never unzip them... though I'm very light skinned. Cold weather hiking I have been using 5.11 pants. They are not lightweight. Built for cops and rescue workers.

#147119 - 02/28/11 11:55 AM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Glenn]
sjohnny Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I just got my first pair so I haven't had a whole lot of time to try them out but so far I really like them. Mine are North Face that REI had marked down to $25 a couple weeks ago. They're comfortable and lightweight and I like the idea of just carrying legs in my pack instead of a whole pair of pants if they are needed or just throwing the legs in my pack if I start out with them as long pants.

Cabelas recently had some of the Columbia zip off pants in the Bargain Cave for about $20 or $30. They may still be available online.

I will be getting another pair or two of some kind of convertible pants at some point. Seems to me to be the best of both worlds.

#147123 - 02/28/11 12:25 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: sjohnny]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have a pair of convertible pants from Campmor bought several years ago. I bought them because I had planned a couple of trips with a lot of stream fording and thought it would be useful to zip off the legs. However, several experiences changed my mind:

(1) At the fourth ford, I tripped and fell in. blush Even though it was drizzly, cool weather, my pants and shirt were dry after 15 minutes of hiking. In fact, by the time I emptied out my pack, dumped the water out of the bottom, checked my sleeping bag and puffy jacket and repacked, they were over half dry. After that incident, I stopped zipping off the lower pant legs for stream crossings. (BTW, that's why your critical insulating gear should always be inside a waterproof pack liner or in dry bags--stuff sacks or a pack cover wouldn't have kept the water out.)

(2) I never hike in shorts. I'm allergic to sunscreen so need to keep covered up. I also prefer not to show off my varicose veins and large scars from my knee surgery. However, my main desire is not vanity but to avoid exposing my already sun-damaged skin to further damage. If it doesn't matter that my lower legs get wet in stream crossings, why bother with shorts?

(3) The convertibles weigh almost 6 oz. more than my regular supplex hiking pants, almost double the weight. You might want to do a weight comparison of pants plus lightweight nylon gym shorts (a more versatile combo) vs. convertibles.

YMMV, of course!

#147124 - 02/28/11 12:35 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: OregonMouse]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I second OM's opinion on zip-offs. I now try to keep my skin covered regardless of the temperature.

In the past three years I have had four basal cell carcinomas removed from different parts of my body. So far no basal cell carcinomas on my legs but I don't want to encourage them there either. Also, I don't like the way that zip-off pants rub and chafe the inside of my legs while walking.

I just wear a pair of lightweight nylon cargo pants such as the REI Saharas but without the zip-off feature.

#147129 - 02/28/11 12:54 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: OregonMouse]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
OM's response sounds like something that I could have written, including the sunscreen allergy and ugly veins.

Zip-offs weigh too much for my tastes and often the zippers (or facings)rub hot patches on my thighs when I hike uphill. Also, most zip-off are made so that one needs to remove shoes to add or remove the lower leg of the pants. My preferred hiking pants now are some very lightweight nylon pants to which I've added a button and ribbon to each outer leg. If I want some lower limb ventilation, I roll up the pants and fasten with the button (outside) and ribbon (attatched inside). Most of you will have seen such a set up on shirts with "roll-up" sleeves. Two buttons and length of ribbon weigh less than two pairs of separating zippers, and the fabric doesn't need to be heavy enough to hold up to the zippers. I find this to be a far lighter solution and a quicker change, since I don't have to fiddle with my shoes.

OM-Check into titanium or zinc oxide-based sunscreen. They seem to be more of a direct block than a chemically reactive-block, and work for me.

CamperMom

#147132 - 02/28/11 01:03 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Pika]
Glenn Offline

The sun factor is something I hadn't mentioned. I'd never had any issues until the last couple of years, when my legs started burning in early spring weather, when it was still cool. (Previously, they just tanned nicely; more of those getting-older compromises!) So, not only will they help in cooler weather, but they'll also allow me to expose my legs gradually to the sun.

I'll have to check the weight, too. I suppose I could deduct the weight of a pair of shorts from the zip-offs, and be close enough on the weight of the legs.

I was leaning toward non-zips, just because of my general bias toward simpler-is-better, but I wanted to get other opinions, too, before making up my mind.

#147136 - 02/28/11 01:19 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Glenn]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I used zip-offs for years and found I mostly did not zip them off anyway. Between mosquitoes and scratches from off-trail travel, I really did not need them. I now have several lighter weight pants that have relatively wide legs and I just roll them up when needed. If you get your pants a bit baggy, you get ventilation and stay cool.

#147137 - 02/28/11 01:26 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: wandering_daisy]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Similar experience here. I've accumulated several pair of convertible pants and while I wear them, I seldom take off the lower legs. Too useful for fending off bugs, branches and debris. Unzipping the vertical zips helps vent heat while on the go.

They're always on sale, which probably explains why I have so many.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I used zip-offs for years and found I mostly did not zip them off anyway. Between mosquitoes and scratches from off-trail travel, I really did not need them. I now have several lighter weight pants that have relatively wide legs and I just roll them up when needed. If you get your pants a bit baggy, you get ventilation and stay cool.

#147138 - 02/28/11 01:44 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Rick_D]
JollyRogers Offline

Loc: Iowa
I like the convertible pants. I use them for everything from motorcycling to fishing and hiking.
I typically use compression shorts for undergarments and when combined with convertible pants everything dries quickly. So many times I can swim in them. They are also nice because sometimes I have to use a neoprene/velcro knee brace and I can easily get to it without having to disrobe.

It saves space and keeps me from losing things or forgetting them because I have to switch things from 1 set of pants pockets to another.

Most of mine are either Field & Stream or Columbia. Columbia tend to be more durable and heavier, while the Field & Stream are much lighter and less expensive.

Edited by JollyRogers (02/28/11 01:46 PM)

#147139 - 02/28/11 01:46 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Rick_D]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
Same here too. Got them, use them, but rarely actually zip off the leggings. Rather have the sun, scratch, and bug protection. The zips are a pain in the neck and hard to unzip(on my two pairs). But, as I said, I got them and so I wear them instead of buying new ones without the zippers.

#147140 - 02/28/11 03:31 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: CamperMom]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I do use Ti dioxide sunblock or zinc oxide ointment. They are messy, though, and rub off on my clothing where they cling to any passing dirt. I use sunblock only on my lower face and chin where there's reflection off snow/water/light-colored ground, and keep covered up otherwise.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/28/11 03:33 PM)

#147145 - 02/28/11 03:57 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Glenn]
Glenn Offline

Thanks, all, for the input.

Still not sure which way (if either) I'll go. Of course, I could always get one pair of each, and see which I prefer (don't tell Karol I said that.)

I found it interesting that, with a couple of exceptions, the depended on which side of the Mississippi you were on: west of it, no-zips dominated; east of it, zip-offs were the rule.

#147147 - 02/28/11 04:59 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Glenn]
lori Offline

I wear zip offs because I can't find cheap versions of the same pants without the zippers. I did manage to score some Mountain Hardwear pants that are similar.

I also have 5.11's, but only wear them when I must - when I'm on search and rescue, or when heavier, durable pants are called for. Tho mine are nylon they just aren't the same. I like lightweight pants that dry in no time.

Long pants keep the poison oak, ticks (if you treat with permethrin), scratching branches, sunlight, and dirt off your legs.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#147148 - 02/28/11 05:02 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Glenn]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
maybe hot humid east versus dry heat west???

#147150 - 02/28/11 05:20 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: OldScout]
Joshuatree Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I have a couple pairs of zipoffs but never wear them. I get sunburned to easily and don't like the fact I have to take off my boots, and the zippers are designed by someone who doesn't hike. I really like the Kuhl Kuhldry jeans they are priciy unless you find them on sale but I've had my two current pairs last through 3 years of abuse and one just finally developed a hole. They dry in a flash no matter what the weather is they absorb abuse like iron and resist stains. They are light enough and breathe well enough to wear all summer even when the temps push into the 90's.

#147155 - 02/28/11 07:04 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Glenn]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Personally I dislike any type of long pants on the trail or in the city but I wear them when temps/bugs/flora/abrasions dictate.

I don't wear zipoffs to save weight. I wear them for convenience. When the day starts out cold and then warms up, or when I start on a trail and end up bushwhacking. I don't like them for long trips in the summer because, after wearing shorts all day, I like to have a relatively clean pair of long pants to wear in camp when the temps drop. In general I use zip offs for dayhikes and shorts with separate long pants on overnights. In my case, both systems weigh about the same.

One thing to watch out for on zipoffs. The zippered seams between the shorts and the pant legs can chafe your legs after many hours. The zippers are usually covered with a small flap of fabric on both sides which makes the whole bottom edge of the shorts rather bulky. Like anything else, YMMV.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#147164 - 02/28/11 10:30 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Trailrunner]
SockPuppet Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Originally Posted By Trailrunner

I don't wear zipoffs to save weight. I wear them for convenience.

Same here. My personal favorite is The North Face Paramount Peak pants. They are fairly light, but handle abuse well. Most stains wash out easily (save for tree sap, of course) and they don't seem to retain odors.

#147168 - 02/28/11 11:24 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Pika]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I will also chime in here - I've tried zip offs, but again, I never unzip them off - they're just heavier than a lightweight pair of nylon pants.. If I *really* think I'll be needing shorts I take a pair of cheap swim trunks. them and the pants together are lighter than the zip-offs. (If I'm just swimming, that's what underwear, or nothing at all is for..)
Browse my pictures

#147169 - 02/28/11 11:27 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Pika]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I agree with OM and Pika - I never hike in shorts. I generally hike in levis... funny how we can go full circle. cool
Jim

#147188 - 03/01/11 01:54 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Pika]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I guess I'll toss in a contrary opinion. I wear zip-off convertible pants during summer hikes and I do zip them off for a couple of hours a day, mostly on uphill pulls in the late morning or afternoon.

I carefully ration my sun exposure and I far prefer to use clothes over sunscreen lotions (or deet for that matter), but the ability to ventilate my legs on the sweatiest trail sections during hot days is valuable to me. I even partially unzip my legs at times so they ventilate better, but still cover my skin. ymmv

#147192 - 03/01/11 02:05 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: Glenn]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
It depends a bit upon the trip and circumstances, but I find zipoffs quite useful and versatile a great deal of the time.

#147197 - 03/01/11 03:34 PM Re: Convertible pants? [Re: oldranger]
Glenn Offline

Well, given that conclusive 10-9 split (which becomes 10-10, when I add in my hikng buddy's answer), I think I'll go ahead and try the zip-offs. At worst, they become my yard-work pants and I'll order the no-zip for hiking. smile

Thanks again - I really do appreciate the input, as always; it eliminates a lot of learning curve for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum