Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146909 - 02/24/11 12:41 PM Rain proof hammock shelter
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I went to join the hammockforums yesterday and they wanted way too much personal info for me to be comfortable, so I declined. Instead, I decided to see what I could learn here...

I've been playing with a tarp shelter for my hammock and was wondering if anyone knows what would be the smallest (sq ft of material) designs that will keep you dry in a hammock.

We get fronts blowing through here with strong wind and hard rain. Most of the designs I've seen don't appear to be up to handling that. The one I'm using now is 10ft x 12ft and formed into a tent like structure. I'll know after this current front passes through how well it keeps my hammock dry, but if there is something smaller that works I'd like to try it too.

Right now I'm having fun mocking up design protoypes with plastic sheet and duct tape. When I find the one I want, I'll sew it up out of silnylon.

"You want to go where?"

#146910 - 02/24/11 01:14 PM Re: Rain proof hammock shelter [Re: billstephenson]
lori Offline

Depends on the size of the hammock. I have a Blackbird - smallest tarp I would use would be the MacCat Standard. Having a few inches over the ends of the hammock and enough side to side coverage, you can pitch close down to the bugnet and stay dry.

Hennessy stock tarps will keep you dry enough, while you're in the hammock. If that's all you want a simple 8x8 pitched in diamond mode might do fine for a hammock of less than 8' length.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#146918 - 02/24/11 04:29 PM Re: Rain proof hammock shelter [Re: billstephenson]
RHodo Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Originally Posted By billstephenson
I went to join the hammockforums yesterday and they wanted way too much personal info for me to be comfortable, so I declined. Instead, I decided to see what I could learn here...

Under those circumstances I normally invent info for things I'd like to keep private. You know, birthday=12/07/1941, give the phone# to dial a prayer, etc... I don't think they're up to anything nefarious with your info, more likely a holdover from the days when such questions weren't considered as invasive as they are today. It's really a pretty good site, you might want to reconsider joining.

#146931 - 02/24/11 08:49 PM Re: Rain proof hammock shelter [Re: billstephenson]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

It also depends how close to the hammock you rig the tarp bill.

I have kept a hammock dry under a 5x8 rectangle, but you have to be pretty tight up against it if you get a sidewind and have the sides of the tarp down pretty good.

A square tarp witht he diagonal dimension a little longer than the hammock is your best bet for "minimal" coverage, and you rig the tarp diagonally over the hammock.

HAving said that I *usually* use an 8x10 square. it's light enough in light materiel, and one of the nice things about the hammock is I end up with acres of space to stand around underneath, sit in the hammock sling style, watch the rainy world outside, invite nice young ladies over to chat and stay dry while amusingly watching their male companions (who decline the same invitaiton to wait out the thunderstorm under my tarp) set up a crappy huge dome tent in an inverted bowl of a tent site full of water with rain sheeting down..

For me it's those little things that make a bit bigger tarp nice - at least by the time I'm hammocking.
Browse my pictures

#146948 - 02/25/11 09:16 AM Re: Rain proof hammock shelter [Re: billstephenson]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By billstephenson

I have been a member on HF since it started. I don't understand what kind of personal info are they wanting from you to be a member. Seems really odd to me.

To keep this on topic I have a Speer Winter Tarp. I take it all the time. To me it is a yr round tarp. Unfortunately it isn't made anymore but you can catch one up for sale every now and then

#146968 - 02/25/11 02:53 PM Re: Rain proof hammock shelter [Re: phat]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I am with phat. I like my 8X10. I have had it in a few storms with great success. I like to pitch it a little high to give me walking around room. I need to hike where phat is hiking so I can invite girls under it when it rains. wink

#146994 - 02/25/11 09:40 PM Re: Rain proof hammock shelter [Re: phat]
billstephenson Offline

I've got plenty of material to mock one or two more up right now, so I'll make an 8'x10' next and play with it, and I guess I can just keep whittling it down until I find how small I can go.

Today I found an adhesive nylon "Patch" in the sewing dept at Wal-Mart called "Bondex Outdoor Restore". It shows tents, backpacks, and jackets on the packaging. It looks like it's pretty tough stuff. It might work good to reinforce the plastic sheet I'm using where the ridge-line meets the edges, the corner points, and other potential tie out points.

"You want to go where?"

#147002 - 02/25/11 11:08 PM Re: Rain proof hammock shelter [Re: billstephenson]
phat Offline

Geez bill if you're getting that clever, ditch the plastic, find some 1.1 nylon, a tube of silicone sealant, some white gas, give it a good dunking in the mix and squeegee off the excess..

Or just buy silnylon wink
Browse my pictures

#147003 - 02/25/11 11:10 PM Re: Rain proof hammock shelter [Re: finallyME]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
I need to hike where phat is hiking so I can invite girls under it when it rains. wink

I only get to do that on skyline and west coast trail.. everywhere else I go there's hardly anyone around..

Browse my pictures

#147041 - 02/26/11 01:29 PM Re: Rain proof hammock shelter [Re: phat]
billstephenson Offline

Is that the formula for making siliconize nylon? (silnylon)

Hmmm... That is really interesting.

Has anyone made a "Tied Dyed" one using different colors of silicon? laugh

I checked my plastic tarp yesterday after some good hard rain the past couple days and the hammock was dry as can be. So was the ground under it. So, I at least know a little more than I did last week.

I'm suppose I'll end up buying some silnylon, but I kind of like the clearness of the plastic tarp, and if I can make one that is comparable in weight and durability to silnylon, I might stick with it for a bit.

I have a lot to learn yet. Tom just posted a link to some videos about hammocks and I haven't spent much time on the Henry Shires site either.

"You want to go where?"

#147042 - 02/26/11 02:03 PM Re: Rain proof hammock shelter [Re: billstephenson]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Bill
buy a premade silnylon tarp on ebay, that way you do not have to figure out the catenary curve and it will come with grommets in it. So many do it yourself jobs cost more for materials than a finished product made by someone who already learned from their mistakes.
Jim.

#147045 - 02/26/11 02:25 PM Re: Rain proof hammock shelter [Re: billstephenson]
phat Offline

[quote=billstephenson]Is that the formula for making siliconize nylon? (silnylon)
/quote]

You can pretty much make homemade seamsealer by cutting clear silicone about 50/50 with white gas..

If you have a lawyer and like to smoke while working you didn't get the idea from me.

it does seam to work a lot like silnylon with smeared on thin.

but it's messy - might be easier to just buy silnylon.

It's probably the only way you could make a tie die though. make your tie dye tarp and then seam seal it.

(I would *kill* for a good ultralight tie dye hammock tarp)
Browse my pictures

#147071 - 02/27/11 12:00 AM Re: Rain proof hammock shelter [Re: phat]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Originally Posted By phat

(I would *kill* for a good ultralight tie dye hammock tarp)

That would be pretty rockin'!

#147086 - 02/27/11 02:22 PM Re: Rain proof hammock shelter [Re: Jimshaw]
billstephenson Offline

I hadn't thought about looking on eBay. I did check the hammockforums and they had nothing there except buyers.

I don't mind learning from my mistakes if I'm learning something I want to know. I bought a sewing machine a few years ago and stitching up a tarp would be fun even if it looks like I made it myself when I'm done wink

But... if I see a good deal on eBay, I'd probably snap it up. I can learn from anything I sew up right now laugh

"You want to go where?"

#147445 - 03/06/11 06:02 PM Re: Rain proof hammock shelter [Re: billstephenson]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Bill I am stitching up a siltarp today. I should have it wraped up tomorrow. I like the idea of a sea through poly tarp. I was thinking the ultimate light weight poly for such a project,would be a plastic shrink style patio door storm window kit. That plastic is real clear light and strong. My wheels are turnin again!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum