Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146766 - 02/21/11 04:45 PM Dehydrating Canbells soup
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I love Cambels Tomato Soup. I was very sucsessful drying Spagetti Sauce. I wonder If I could dry tomato soup then grind up to powder in blender? Maybe add some dry basil and T. powdered milk to the bag? Add boiling water in camp and presto?
Anyone ever try this? If it works How am I gonna dry a grilled cheese to go with it?

#146772 - 02/21/11 05:42 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: Kent W]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
You can do it but 2 thoughts:
One, get the 98% fat free version, it will dry better and faster.
Two...consider getting the lower sodium version as well (Healthy Request), drying salty items can ramp up the flavor bad.

And yes you can just add hot water and it will come back. If you want it creamier add in dry milk as well.

If you want to try making a homemade soup this tomato soup is good smile
http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/creamy-tomato-soup

#146773 - 02/21/11 05:46 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: Kent W]
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I just heard on here the other day that hard cheeses, like cheddar (real cheeses not processed stuff) will keep for quite a while out on the trail. My guess would be get the packs of butter like mcdonalds has for their hot cakes and actually do the "grilling" on site ..... seems you could take a piece of one of those throw away pans to fix it on. Just a thought, not something I've ever tried though.

#146802 - 02/21/11 11:04 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: james__12345]
sarbar Offline

Oh sure, real cheddar cheese carries well. As does bread and salted butter. Cheese will get soft and oily but is edible.

#146803 - 02/21/11 11:14 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: Kent W]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
You probably could dehydrate tomato soup, but it may be worth seeing if you can find tomato "Cup-a-Soup" first and see if you like it. It takes time and energy, plus packaging to put together trail meals. Sometimes it is worth shortcuts.

CamperMom

#146817 - 02/22/11 09:43 AM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: Kent W]
Byron Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Hi,

I have never thought to try something like this. I am curious how it comes out, please let me know(especially taste wise). I know the lighter the better and taste is a bonus.

Thank you,

Byron

#146833 - 02/22/11 12:28 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: Byron]
Kent W Offline

Give me a couple days and I will let you know. I did dry a jar of defratella spagetti Sauce. and cooked then dried noodles. I added some dried green Peppers and also drid mushrooms and some cooked and dried ground round. I added aprox . equal portion of boiling water to the bag and let sit in cozy ten min closed up and 4 min uncovered to thicken.
I was amazed at the consistancy and flavor. Awsome, much better than any freeze dried I have tried yet.

#146839 - 02/22/11 01:23 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: Kent W]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I agree that the "Cup-a-Soup" or other powdered soup mixes will save dehydration time. Check the health/organic food stores or sections of supermarkets for other interesting powdered soup mixes. I would save the time and bother of soup dehydration for home-made soups!

For the grilled cheese part, perhaps biscuit mix with cheese in it, cooked on a stick or in a frying pan?

Edited by OregonMouse (02/22/11 01:25 PM)

#146860 - 02/22/11 08:50 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: OregonMouse]
Kent W Offline

O Mouse, I hear ya but I have to dehydrate some onions peppers and vegies anyhow. I have plenty of hydrator trays so why not filler up? I havent been able to find dried tomato soup mix around here?

#146864 - 02/22/11 10:09 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: Kent W]
sarbar Offline

Kent, look in the soup aisle - up high. As well, Asian markets often carry Japanese brands of the same stuff (many times better tasting!), I have even found Asian versions of Knorr in cup packets.

So take a long walk in your local mega store - you will find many, many things.

#146868 - 02/22/11 10:49 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: Kent W]
CamperMom Offline

It sounds practical to fill your dehydrator but more food may slow down the process overall. I think there is a point of dimishing returns here.

You may want to set your dehydrator on a back porch or at least a closed-off room that you can vent to the outside if you are dehydrating onions and peppers. I buy the club-sized dehydrated onions, so you are braver than I... And, I dry tuna, salmon, and shrimp when the guys are likely to be out for many hours. Stinky!

CamperMom

#146878 - 02/23/11 09:43 AM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: CamperMom]
Kent W Offline

LOL,we will be fine we love Onions and Peppers. We Have used about 45 Pounds of a fifty pound bag of Onions since the end of October! I still have dried Jalopinos form last fall.

#147021 - 02/26/11 10:11 AM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: Kent W]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
mmm the smell of onions and peppers frying is excellent.

Dehydrating campbells soup such as cream of mushroom can some how be added to other dried foods to make a tasty meal. Or dehydrating campbells chunky beef stew and throwing it on top of my instant mashed potatoes. Whaaaaaaat.

#147030 - 02/26/11 11:07 AM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: GDeadphans]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
You know what grew really well for me was habaneros. Very few seeds in them, tasty, and you need less to spice things up. I love the orange color of them too though that changes a bit when you dry them.

sk

Edited by skcreidc (02/26/11 11:07 AM)

#148541 - 03/28/11 02:14 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: skcreidc]
WSARmedic Offline

So what process would one use to dehydrate soup? Running it in some sort of double-boiler? On my SAR team we are usually just issued our meals (usually MREs), so it's never been an issue, but I think I would like to implement this myself to add variety. I've never really been a fan of beef stew and I sure as heck am not after the 5th straight packet of it.

Thanks,
WSARmedic

#148545 - 03/28/11 02:40 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: Kent W]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By Kent W
I love Cambels Tomato Soup.

About 4 years ago I decided I wanted to make homemade Tomato soup. I'd asked around and couldn't find anyone who'd ever made it before, or even tasted it before, so it became a mission for me to try it.

I gathered up as many ripe tomatoes as I could find in my garden, begged for some more from neighbors, and went to work on it. I de-skinned them, crushed them with a potato masher, filled a big pot and started simmering it. I stirred and stirred for hours until it had thickened up to a bit more than a perfect "soup" consistency. Then I stirred in a little milk, added a bit of salt and pepper, and tasted it. I'll tell you, I was pretty well amazed with what I ended up with...

It tasted just like Campbell's!

Ever since I've figured that Cambells Tomato Soup is about the best you'll find anywhere and I haven't felt even a twinge of need to make it myself again. (I have had an urge to make a painting of the can though laugh

"You want to go where?"

#148548 - 03/28/11 03:09 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: billstephenson]
Kent W Offline

Wsar , you need a food dehydtrator. Mine came with plastic fruit leather trays. litley grease trays with butter or olive oil and pour a can of cambells tomato soup on tray. dry till untacky. I then grind to powdery consistancy in blender. Put powder in ziplock bag with about 1/4 C powdered milk. Store in freezer till backpackin trip. Add about 1.5 C boiling water to bag let sit about ten min and enjoy!

#148551 - 03/28/11 05:45 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: Kent W]
WSARmedic Offline

Originally Posted By Kent W
Wsar , you need a food dehydtrator. Mine came with plastic fruit leather trays. litley grease trays with butter or olive oil and pour a can of cambells tomato soup on tray. dry till untacky. I then grind to powdery consistancy in blender. Put powder in ziplock bag with about 1/4 C powdered milk. Store in freezer till backpackin trip. Add about 1.5 C boiling water to bag let sit about ten min and enjoy!

Thank you for your response!

What food dehydrator would you recommend for doing this? I have been looking at one for a while now but have never really been able to justify the cost of buying one to myself. I think I may just go ahead and buy it though- if nothing else, I can make my own jerky!

#148552 - 03/28/11 06:25 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: WSARmedic]
Kent W Offline

If you do, get a jerky gun and make it out of Ground Round . This is the best tenderest jerky out. Ground venison is awsome too. I have a American Havest dehydrator, made bye Nesco. This is a great little unit. I highley recomend it. Im sure there are better high priced professional dehydrators out there, but for the buck its a dandy!

#148565 - 03/29/11 10:55 AM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: Kent W]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Kent, what's a jerky gun? Best, jcp

#148572 - 03/29/11 01:50 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: JPete]
WSARmedic Offline

Originally Posted By JPete

It's a Play-dough Factory extruder for meat.

#148573 - 03/29/11 02:54 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: JPete]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By JPete

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80045

Lots of places have them cheaper too.

#148578 - 03/29/11 04:48 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: GrumpyGord]
JPete Offline

Wow, never knew anything like that existed. Interesting idea. Thanks, best, jcp

#148583 - 03/29/11 07:09 PM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: JPete]
CamperMom Offline

Obviously, you did not grow up making cookies and have not seen a "cookie (dough) press." You might know more about a caulking gun. Same idea.

Commenting on another question. Excalibur dehydrators are the "Cadillac brand." American Harvest seems to be the second choice among many of the gang at FoodPreserving@yahoogroups.com.

CM

#148614 - 03/30/11 08:53 AM Re: Dehydrating Canbells soup [Re: CamperMom]
JPete Offline

Actually Mom, I did grow up making cookies, and still do. I was aware of the cookie gun, but never used it (either dropped or cut from rolled dough). Funny you should mention the caulking gun. It's one of the few home repair tools that I cannot seem to master (and I'm reminded of my failure every time I take a shower). Maybe I'd better stay with the french knife for jerky strips. Thanks. Take care, jcp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum