Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146636 - 02/19/11 10:34 AM Repackaging bulk items
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
My grandmother gave me one of those vacuum sealer thingies, which I have yet to try out. But I was wondering what I can repackage down from bulk, and what I need to buy in small packages.

Specifically, summer sausage. I have a foot-long stick (Hillshire Farm), but that's way too much for one meal. Can I cut it into three or four pieces and vacuum seal them? How long will that be good?

What about items in cans? Pineapple, olives, etc.

Some things are pretty obvious. Like minute rice, couscous, etc. Those are shelf-stable and should be ok. It's the canned "refrigerate after opening" stuff I'm curious about.

Thanks for the help!

#146637 - 02/19/11 11:23 AM Re: Repackaging bulk items [Re: Barefoot Friar]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
There are several problems with using a vacuum sealer with backpacking food. First, with dry materials, especially those containing things like noodles and other sharp-cornered items, is that the package will soon spring a leak where the plastic is tightly stretched over a sharp point. Second, vacuum sealed packages form an irregular-shaped, hard mass. Packing these "masses" leaves a lot of air space in your food container. Third, if you vacuum seal anything with grease or oil in it (eg. Fritos, nuts etc.), the grease or oil will migrate through the entire package. Finally, if you try to vacuum seal liquids, they will get sucked into the vacuum sealers plumbing making a major mess. Otherwise, they work just fine.

#146639 - 02/19/11 11:39 AM Re: Repackaging bulk items [Re: Pika]
lori Offline

I have a FoodSaver model with a "wet" setting that handles wet food okay. It's built to do that without drowning the components.

However - if you must take a bear canister, the last thing you want is a bunch of vac-sealed bricks. Unless you master the art of vac-sealing them in such a way that they all fit together neatly like tetris blocks within the shape of your particular canister. That, I would love to see.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#146644 - 02/19/11 01:32 PM Re: Repackaging bulk items [Re: Barefoot Friar]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
That summer sausage is going to spoil quickly once you've cut it up and repackaged it, unless you can find a way to do this under completely sterile conditions. The same is true for canned stuff. Best to look for (or make your own) dehydrated, which is lots lighter.

It's better to buy small packages of sausage, etc. that you can eat all at one time once opened. Check the links on Sarbar's Trail Cooking website for sources.

Hard cheeses, such as real cheddar (not the processed stuff), parmesan, manchego (to name a few) will keep for weeks even after the wax coating is cut off. Wrap the cut surface in cheesecloth and air dry it when you can. Any mold on the surface can be trimmed off. That won't work with meats, where the mold (and associated bacteria) travel throughout the meat.

#146659 - 02/19/11 05:40 PM Re: Repackaging bulk items [Re: lori]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By lori
Unless you master the art of vac-sealing them in such a way that they all fit together neatly like tetris blocks within the shape of your particular canister. That, I would love to see.

Me too! Great line, Lori!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#146663 - 02/19/11 08:31 PM Re: Repackaging bulk items [Re: OregonMouse]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
Thanks, OM, that's what I was afraid of. The cheese I knew about, but I wasn't sure about the meat and didn't want to find out the hard way.

As for canned food... yeah, I know it's way too heavy, but what I had in mind was a first-night meal. I'll drop back and punt.

@Lori and Pika: You're right, of course. I'll stick to ziplocks. wink

Edited by Bear (02/19/11 08:32 PM)

#149036 - 04/08/11 04:39 PM Re: Repackaging bulk items [Re: lori]
hikemikehike Offline

Ive used the foodsaver brand for years and have had great experiences with it!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum