Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146549 - 02/17/11 12:17 PM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: ]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
It's mostly you. You have to learn to scrunch up more.

Seriously, I can commiserate. Although I'm not tall, I am a lefty and often find myself fumbling with stuff made by righties.

I'm sure there are others here better suited to offer advice, but I'd say your stuck with shopping online at specialty retailers, like REI, where you can order gear in your size. Big Box stores stock for the largest target. Tall people and lefties aren't even on it.

"You want to go where?"

#146553 - 02/17/11 02:12 PM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: ]
sjohnny Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I'm 6'4" and a lefty (I can do most things with either hand though so that's not as much an impediment as everything being made for short people). I have a hard enough time finding stuff - I can't imagine trying to find stuff 2" taller.

Right now I'm trying to save up to replace my 10 pound tent and most of the lightweight tents are shorter than what I want. About the best thing I've found so far is the REI Quarter Dome Plus (but it will take a good while to get the money together). Hopefully by the time I can afford something there will be a whole new line of high quality 3 pound tents for less than $100 specially made for "average sized" people (6'4" and up).

#146554 - 02/17/11 02:13 PM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: ]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
If you are young, don't worry. In a few years you will probably shrink a little. But I know what you mean. I was 6'5" with size 12+ feet. Getting stuff to fit me could be a major endeavor. Packs can be particularly problematic for me. It has gotten better though and REI is one reliable alternative. They have a stellar return policy. One point though. If you are interested in a particular manufacturer, let them know of your disappointment in not being able to get something that fits. If they know there is a demand, they will (possibly) make it.

sk

#146555 - 02/17/11 02:16 PM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: sjohnny]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
sjohnny? You are 6'4" too? Yup...Seems like 6'2" is the normal cutoff for a decent fit.

#146561 - 02/17/11 02:35 PM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: skcreidc]
sjohnny Offline

I think you're about right.

#146563 - 02/17/11 02:41 PM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: skcreidc]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
As far as clothes, I think Marmot or Patagonia (not sure which, anymore) might offer pants and jackets with longer and shorter arm/leg lengths (I seem to remember ordering "short" rain pants from one of them.)

As far as tents, have you looked at the MSR Hubba/Carbon Reflex? They offer a symmetrical "half-moon" shape, with the entrance in the long side, and a 7-plus foot length with 37" of height in the middle of the arc - this might allow you to sit in the middle of the tent and follow the arc as you lie down. (I'm only 6 feet tall, and that's exactly why I ended up choosing a Carbon Reflex, after trying out a number of tents.)

I think the reason it's tough to find stuff is that you don't fit the bell curve: all the "regular" people make up the mass market, which is where the mainline manufacturers have to target in order to make money. (Whether profit is a dirty word is another argument; the fact is that it drives gear availability.) So, the tall folks and us folks with stubby little legs (and a 29" inseam) tend to be the outliers that have trouble finding stuff that fits right.

It might get a bit pricey, but your best bet might be the small gear makers, like Mountain Laurel Designs or Six Moon Designs. Since they don't always manufacture in large runs, they may be able to accomodate your needs and customize their designs to fit.

#146566 - 02/17/11 03:54 PM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: ]
chimpac Offline

Loc: alberta,can.
If you shop early in the season there maybe some talls in the new stock.I got an Eddie Bower down parka on sale in a tall.The sleeves almost cover my hands and the body is below my butt, it is not to big around for my skinny frame and I love it.

#146572 - 02/17/11 06:49 PM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: Glenn]
sjohnny Offline

I have put a minimum length of 90" on any tent choice for me. It's a little bit arbitrary but I'm more likely not to be cramped and I've found a few tents that aren't too heavy that meet that criteria. Fortunately (?) I don't have the money to spend on one right now so I have plenty of time to look. I'm hoping to be able to have something together by this summer when I have a little longer trip in the pre-planning stage. I'm sure carrying that big tent on my overnight trip this weekend will give me some incentive to start counting pennies.

With clothes the problem I often find is in sleeve length. I wear a 37" sleeve and unless a shirt or jacket specifies sleeve length (like dress shirts) or comes in a "Tall" size they will likely be too short for me. Even the Tall sizes are sometimes a crap shoot for proper sleeve length.

#146581 - 02/17/11 08:15 PM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: sjohnny]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have had problems in some shelters not letting my head brush the tent over my head when I sit up, and I'm only 5'3" tall. I don't know how you tall guys manage!

I know that quite a few tall folks get a 2-person shelter and sleep diagonally. I also note that there are increasing complaints from you tall folks and that at least a few "cottage" gear manufacturers are responding. On the other hand, "standard brand" tents appear to keep getting smaller as their manufacturers try to make them lighter.

#146585 - 02/17/11 08:48 PM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: OregonMouse]
sjohnny Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I know that quite a few tall folks get a 2-person shelter and sleep diagonally.

That would work fine for me but I doubt that I will have very many trips where I'm alone. I think the vast majority of my trips will at least be with my son so I've been looking at 3 person tents but they get even heavier. My list leader right now is the REI Quarter Dome Plus 2 person tent. It seems to be a pretty good balance of size/weight and I guess it's not terribly expensive compared to some of the others that meet my criteria.

#146589 - 02/17/11 10:04 PM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: ]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

And then consider being a tall female!

My wife is 5'11" and mostly legs. EVERYTHING we buy for her is custom made. Thank goodness my daughter is a master seamstress.

#146623 - 02/18/11 03:55 PM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: ]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
For tents, we have two tarptents that fit well for tall people. My solo is a Tarptent Moment, and our double is a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo.

Clothing is an issue. Even at "only" 6-2, I have problems with sleeve and body length, as most of my height is in my upper body. Patagonia tops seem to have a little extra length in the sleeves, which is nice. LL Bean offers a lot of their house brand clothing in Tall sizes, as does Eddie Bauer, though I'm not sure even those will fit well to 6-6.

Beyond Clothing does custom made outdoor clothing at http://beyondclothing.com/. They have a wide variety of serious outdoor clothing on their site -- might be well worth the money for a perfect fit.

#146920 - 02/24/11 06:15 PM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: kbennett]
Cesar Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
tarptent moment for tall people? Isnt it only 84" long? You might want to look at the Double rainbow. Its floor is much longer.

Oh and check out eddiebauer first accent tall sizes as well as cabelas, and landsend's tall sizes.

Edited by Cesar (02/24/11 06:17 PM)

#147817 - 03/15/11 01:16 PM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: Cesar]
coloradowalt Offline

The Six Moon Designs - Lunar Duo is 90". I just pulled the trigger on one. I'm 6'3" and my practice run in the backyard went very well. I bought for single person use, I like my space.

#147856 - 03/16/11 12:26 AM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: coloradowalt]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I'm short at only 6'2" for this, but I also have issues with short sleeves and such.

Suggest that sjohnny look at TarpTent Website.

http://www.tarptent.com/products.html

A good number of the tents meet your length requirement.

I have a TarpTent Rainshadow 2 for going backpacking with my kids. It is long enough for me, and wide enough as well. OregonMouse recommended, and I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

#147866 - 03/16/11 08:34 AM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: Steadman]
sjohnny Offline

Wow, that's light! One of those may be on my list for later.

I ended up ordering a Mountainsmith Morrison 2 man tent yesterday. It was $130, seems to have a lot of room and weighs less than 5 pounds (not light by some standards but I'm going from a 10 1/2 pounder so it will definitely help). I don't know much about this tent and haven't been able to find many reviews on it so we'll see how it works out.

#148050 - 03/20/11 10:46 AM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: Cesar]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
Originally Posted By Cesar
tarptent moment for tall people? Isnt it only 84" long?

Yes, but that's just the length of the internal floor. There is another foot of space at both ends. My long sleeping bag and my XL Thermarest fit with plenty of extra room, and there is extra space to store gear at head and foot end. My sleeping bag does not touch the canopy at either end.

#148368 - 03/25/11 07:16 PM Re: 6'6" tall person grumbling [Re: ]
I_hate_gravity Offline

I'm 6'4+" and 300 lbs. My teenage son is 6'6" but a fit 200 lbs and he fits a lot better in a sleeping bag than I do.

My daughter is 6'4" and my wife is over 6'. None of us can buy shoes in stores and clothes are hard to find (we're all very long-legged). We've just learned to live with it and don't really have any official backpacking clothes. However, I just got my son some cool hiking shoes in size 15. I wear 16 and the selection drops even more. My son and I fit just fine in our 4-person tent; wouldn't try a 2-person.

No big deal really. I spend a month of the year in the jungles of Central America and bring gear for a night or two of camping here and there. The locals I'm with spend a month at a time in the jungle with not one item of official backpacking or camping gear. I'd be embarrassed to bring a $15 titanium camping spork along. I'm sure not going to complain about how nobody makes outdoor clothes my size.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum