Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135955 - 07/07/10 09:09 PM home made stove vs store bought
corduroy lion Offline

Loc: norcal
what are the pros and cons of making your own stove vs buying one? i have the optimus crux and i like it. but im still too new to backpacking to understand the differences between the two. the thought of a homemade stove out of a pepsi can actually sounds really cool though. but wouldnt the weight of the fuel that you would carry equal the weight of the butane/propane? thanks so much for your thoughts!!! im trying to soak as much info like a sponge that i can!!!

#135957 - 07/07/10 09:47 PM Re: home made stove vs store bought [Re: corduroy lion]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY

Weight savings depends mostly on your stove's efficiency and your use. This calculator may interest you: http://www.howardjohnson.name/Backpacking/Stove/Stoves.htm

For most, the draw of the alcohol burner is the make your own gear itch and trying different designs.

In general the butane stoves are all the same basic design. The homemade stoves can vary to nth degree. IMO the "pepsi stove" is one of the more "pain in the neck" to make and isn't all that fuel efficient. There are much better designs out there. My go to alcohol stove is known as the fancee feest stove as it uses a fancy feast cat food can. It is fast, fuel efficient and lights immediately even in sub-zero weather. For example I get a 2-cup boil with 15ml of denatured alcohol (more in colder weather/water).

...got to go. more maybe later.

#135967 - 07/08/10 12:28 PM Re: home made stove vs store bought [Re: DTape]
corduroy lion Offline

Loc: norcal
dtape-
im definatly now going to try and make a couple this weekend and see how they work. it sounds like a lot of fun. and a cat can sounds more durable then a pepsi can. im gonna see what i can find on your fancee feest stove and try it out!!! thank you soo much for your reply!!

#135971 - 07/08/10 02:22 PM Re: home made stove vs store bought [Re: corduroy lion]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
CL,

Be forewarned, the DIY alcohol stove bug can easily become an obsession. You will know when you have started down the road when you look at all metal containers as potential stoves. LOL

Have fun, don't get burned. Feel free to msg me if you have any questions.

DT

The fancee feest stove was designed by a guy named zelph. Should make searching easier.

#136480 - 07/18/10 12:48 AM Re: home made stove vs store bought [Re: corduroy lion]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
It looks like DTape already pointed you in a good direction. I have an oldish Giga stove and a really simple alcohol stove that I made, and I've found that the alcohol stove + fuel is lighter for short trips (maybe three nights?), while I save weight during long trips by using the canister stove + its fuel.

I think I prefer alcohol stoves in most cases. Their fuel is easy to find, they're quiet, and they are easy to replace. On the other hand, you can't see the flame very easily, you have to be more careful about where you do your cooking (spillage = more flame), and you need a good windscreen.

Canister stoves are easier to actually cook with, if you like to chef it up. They're also a lot faster. They don't work very well in cold weather - I can see a difference in mine between summer use and when it gets around freezing. Liquid fuel stoves seem the best for that sort of thing. I don't know how alcohol stoves fare in cold weather.

My alcohol stove is the one recommended on the Zpacks website: cut off the bottom 1" of a soda can, use a hole punch to make 16 holes 1/8" from the edge, and carefully mash the bottom flat with a hammer. That's it, no stand necessary. You can build it in a few minutes. For fuel I use yellow HEET from automotive stores.

#136495 - 07/18/10 12:04 PM Re: home made stove vs store bought [Re: corduroy lion]
Cajun Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Try looking here for some ideas.

http://zenstoves.net/

#145586 - 01/30/11 02:37 PM Re: home made stove vs store bought [Re: Cajun]
james__12345 Offline

I love the penny stove. Haven't actually used it in the field, but I have cooked with a few times here at the house just messing around with it. It sure beats the pepsi can stove I tried the first time. I really like the "simmer ring" option for it too. The pepsi or cat stoves dont have that option that I know of.

#145746 - 02/02/11 01:59 PM Re: home made stove vs store bought [Re: Wolfeye]
Outcasthiker Offline

I agreee with wolfeye. The only difference is I use denatured alcohol. Alcohol is just like the canister fuel. Warm it up when it's cold out. Usually just put in pocket or near fire.

Originally Posted By Wolfeye
It looks like DTape already pointed you in a good direction. I have an oldish Giga stove and a really simple alcohol stove that I made, and I've found that the alcohol stove + fuel is lighter for short trips (maybe three nights?), while I save weight during long trips by using the canister stove + its fuel.

I think I prefer alcohol stoves in most cases. Their fuel is easy to find, they're quiet, and they are easy to replace. On the other hand, you can't see the flame very easily, you have to be more careful about where you do your cooking (spillage = more flame), and you need a good windscreen.

Canister stoves are easier to actually cook with, if you like to chef it up. They're also a lot faster. They don't work very well in cold weather - I can see a difference in mine between summer use and when it gets around freezing. Liquid fuel stoves seem the best for that sort of thing. I don't know how alcohol stoves fare in cold weather.

My alcohol stove is the one recommended on the Zpacks website: cut off the bottom 1" of a soda can, use a hole punch to make 16 holes 1/8" from the edge, and carefully mash the bottom flat with a hammer. That's it, no stand necessary. You can build it in a few minutes. For fuel I use yellow HEET from automotive stores.

Edited by Outcasthiker (02/02/11 02:00 PM)

#145753 - 02/02/11 03:41 PM Re: home made stove vs store bought [Re: Outcasthiker]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
I would definitely recommend Mark Jurey's penny stove. Probably the most efficient can stove. I've used it on 3 day trips and had no problem. It even has designs for a simmer ring that lowers the heat and lengthen's the cooking time.
Link here.

Oh, I should mention that he compares it with a few other purchasable stoves and it is pretty much on par!

Edited by Paulo (02/02/11 03:42 PM)

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#146102 - 02/08/11 05:40 PM Re: home made stove vs store bought [Re: DTape]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Originally Posted By DTape
CL,

Be forewarned, the DIY alcohol stove bug can easily become an obsession. You will know when you have started down the road when you look at all metal containers as potential stoves. LOL

Have fun, don't get burned. Feel free to msg me if you have any questions.

DT

The fancee feest stove was designed by a guy named zelph. Should make searching easier.
obession ,addiction i here its only really a problem if your trying to quit.
depending on pot size my vote goes to jimwoods cat stove slightly modified of course.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum