Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144814 - 01/13/11 04:10 PM SOCKS! I cant get it straight
MADxMAC Offline

I am getting back into backpacking recently as it has been nearly 10 years since I have gone. Fore reference I will be backpacking in the mounains of Virginia in the George Washington and Jefferson national forrests for starters. I have hit a snag in my selection of socks. It is my understanding that a person wants 2 socks (for the most part) one thin sock for the foot iself and another thicker sock for padding outside of that. In reasearching things I understand that the main concern is whether the sock is made from hydrophilic or hydrophobic fibers. If I am wearing a pair of Saloman Mission GTX light boots (my pack is about 20lbs) for a 3 day hike which socks should I lean toward for summer and winter wear? I currently have some poly/acrylic thick sports socks which will repel water nicely, should I combine those with some wool to add a wicking ingridient to the mix?

#144816 - 01/13/11 04:17 PM Re: SOCKS! I cant get it straight [Re: MADxMAC]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I haven't worn two pair of socks for hiking since the 70's. That is about when I started wearing running shoes for virtually all of my trail hiking. I did wear two pair of socks when I stopped to put on my climbing boots but that was mostly because I did a lot of ice and snow climbing. I now wear one pair of Smartwool light-weight or mid-weight socks with my trail running shoes. Sure my feet get wet on occasion but they generally dry quickly. I think you will find that trail runners and one pair of fairly light socks are the norm for people on this site.

#144817 - 01/13/11 04:19 PM Re: SOCKS! I cant get it straight [Re: MADxMAC]
Loomis Offline

Loc: Milwaukie, Oregon USA
Summer and winter are completely different beasts. The type of boots you have and whether your feet are prone to getting cold are also factors.

In the winter I personally wear a pair of poly liner socks and then a pair of wool socks over that. Wool is a very good insulator and continues to insulate when wet. My feet are prone to getting cold, so I like thick socks in the winter. I also wear Sorel Conquest Boots which provide a good degree of insulation. In the winter you do not want so much sock that your boots feel tight as that will cut of circulation and result in cold feet.

In the summer I normally only hike in a single pair of lighter synthetic socks. I normally wear trail running shoes as I like to pack light and move fast. If your feet are prone to blisters than a thin poly liner sock plus an outer synthetic sock might be a good idea.

The bottom line is to stay away from cotton.

#144822 - 01/13/11 04:58 PM Re: SOCKS! I cant get it straight [Re: MADxMAC]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
For a three day backpacking trip in the summer then a couple of pairs of thin poly-pro sock liners and trail runners will suffice for most trips.

For a 3-day backpacking trip in the winter, then that is a completely different beast. I tend to get really cold feet and hands and thus it is not uncommon for me to wear two pair of liners plus a wool sock to keep my feet warm even when moving. I also wear a pair of Keen's Summit County Winter boots that are rated to -35. When I am in camp I also use down-boots to keep my feet warm when I am inactive.

In each case I will always bring one pair of "sacred" socks that I only use to sleep in and on wash days. That way I know I will always have one pair of clean, dry socks to wear during the night in my bag.

#144823 - 01/13/11 05:35 PM Re: SOCKS! I cant get it straight [Re: MADxMAC]
MADxMAC Offline

Thanks everyone. I normally can deel with cold feet. Around town I am a flip flop kind of guy. I will wear flip flops until temps reach the 30s. One the other hand, I cannot STAND wet feet. From what I have learned I think I will go with thin poly liner socks with wool on the outside in the winter and switch to just poly in the summer to keep breathability up.

Thanks again for all the input

#144829 - 01/13/11 06:14 PM Re: SOCKS! I cant get it straight [Re: MADxMAC]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
The whole idea for the sock "liner" is to ensure that moisture is wicked away from your feet to keep them dry as possible. One thing for sure , if you trek any kind of distance and have wet feet, you are going to have a real problem with blisters, and blisters are no fun in the backcountry. I have in the past, taken some extra precautions as far as keeping my feet dry. Usually a couple of days before I leave, I start rubbing isopropol alcohol all over my feet. This keeps them nice and dry and the day before I leave I may even rub them down real good with deoderant of some kind, usually a roll on. This seems to work very well and has become important to me when I know that I will be trekking in the pouring rain for a while.. I hike on the AT and it can rain up there any time at all with no warning at all so I have just gotten into the habit of taking those extra precautions...sabre11004
P.S. Make sure that you take foot powder and you can keep them dry on the trail...

#144860 - 01/14/11 09:58 AM Re: SOCKS! I cant get it straight [Re: Loomis]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I usually do what others have said here. But I will add this. For the most part, my boots are not sock flexible. That means that for each pair of boots I have, there is a sock combination that works perfect and anything deviating from that combination doesn't. For my winter boots (gortex insulated Army issue) I wear a thin liner with a thick wool outer. If I wear just the thick wool, they hurt, if I wear a thicker inner and the wool, they hurt. If I wear just a thin, they flop around too much. My trail runners are much more sock flexible, but I never wear two socks with them.

#144861 - 01/14/11 10:44 AM Re: SOCKS! I cant get it straight [Re: MADxMAC]
lori Offline

My feet sweat, so there will always be a small amount of damp in my socks. I use Hydropel sometimes when I know I will be putting in the miles (more than 10/day). Have not used a second sock in a long time.

Another factor is conditioning. Walk/hike a lot and your feet will learn to tolerate the friction. That and a good pair of shoes that really fit, no blisters, no soreness.

What will give you blisters is heat plus wet plus friction. On a route with 10 creek crossings in about 75-80F temps, I started just wading through instead of bothering with water shoes. Water ran out of my trail runners like a sieve each time. I didn't get a single blister. My shoes fit me very well, and the cool dousing felt pretty good.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#144948 - 01/16/11 01:05 AM Re: SOCKS! I cant get it straight [Re: MADxMAC]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
If you are wearing boots rather than trail runners, I would recommend a double sock even in the summer. There are two reasons for the classic wool outer sock, poly liner sock. One is moisture management. Poly wicks away from feet, wools provides insulation and buffering.

The second reason is that the typical boot doesn't give or conform to your foot, so when you are walking there is a bit of friction. The double sock typically puts the friction between the socks, rather than between your foot and the sock. [BTW: best to have the more textured part of the wool sock toward the outside of the boot, smooth facing inward which often means using wool socks turned inside out.]

--Mark

#145452 - 01/26/11 03:59 AM Re: SOCKS! I cant get it straight [Re: verber]
stonemark Offline

Loc: China
and I have several socks for different trails ~

#145459 - 01/26/11 12:54 PM Re: SOCKS! I cant get it straight [Re: stonemark]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
I hike in only merina wool socks. I will tell a story about my son and a 50 miler Scout hike. The hike leader INSISTED that my son wear two sets of socks. Within the first two days, my son had several large and painful blisters. (No, it is not fun to have to comfort your son who you find weeping in the morning because his blisters hurt so much and he knows we have five more days.) I pulled parent priority and told the poor kid to wear only one pair of socks. The problem went away and he has now never worn two sets of socks again. FWIW

#145477 - 01/26/11 11:45 PM Re: SOCKS! I cant get it straight [Re: MADxMAC]
Zeno Offline

always wear a poly liner. wicks most of the moisture away, and I rarely get blisters. I'm not sure I've ever had a blister on the trail. They work THAT well for me. Wool sock as a 2nd layer. I believe 100%, high quality wool can absorb 60% of its weight before feeling damp to the touch. In other words, as the poly liner is pulling moisture away, the wool is soaking it up and slowly drying due to body heat. A dry foot is a happy foot.

I also wear a clean pair of poly liners when I go to bed, even in the summer months. A dry foot is a warm (or cool) foot.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum