Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144521 - 01/06/11 10:08 AM Snow Camping in Mt. Hood National Forest, Oregon
Loomis Offline

Loc: Milwaukie, Oregon USA
I am planning another snow camping trip this weekend. I will be going to the Upper Clackamas, Oregon area off forest service road 58 (cuts north off Timothy Lake road) towards Hideaway Lake. We will be hiking on the road pulling pulk sleds with all our gear. Area map.

Last weekend I did the same thing, but to Twin Lakes (near Frog Lake SE of Government Camp). The problem with Twin Lakes is it is popular and there are an abundance of people.

Do any of you fellow Oregonians know other good snow camping spots around Mt. Hood that afford a degree of solitude? I live in Portland and prefer to keep driving time to a minimum to get as much time as possible outdoors. Due to work, my trips are normally only overnight, so hiking distances cannot be too great.

#144526 - 01/06/11 01:03 PM Re: Snow Camping in Mt. Hood National Forest, Oregon [Re: Loomis]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Loomis:

Got no advice, but I do want to compliment you on that great site of yours, and the trip report to Twin Lakes. I like that sled set-up, and you did a great job with the 'snow cave' -- I think Allen & Mike (of really cool backcountry skiing fame) would be proud.
goodjob

Looking forward to pix and report of the Upper Clackamas trip.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#144547 - 01/06/11 07:30 PM Re: Snow Camping in Mt. Hood National Forest, Oregon [Re: Loomis]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
So I see you have two sleds - the Paris Expedition Sled and the Pelican Snow Trek 60 Sled.

Would you mind providing a comparison of the two? likes/dislikes etc and what kind of conditions you've used them in?

Thanks!

Heather

#144565 - 01/07/11 09:35 AM Re: Snow Camping in Mt. Hood National Forest, Oregon [Re: Loomis]
Loomis Offline

@ kevonionia - Thanks for the compliments. I am hopeful I can continue to provide useful information and trip reports.

@ hhavel - I will be posting a review of the Pelican Snow Trek 60 Sled shortly. In short, I prefer the Pelican Snow Trek 60 to the Paris Expedition (review) for a couple reasons. First, it's slightly wider size provides more stability. In Oregon, just like Alaska, we have lots of mountains and very little flat terrain. The wider sled is less prone to tipping over on steep slopes. Second, the Pelican sled is thicker plastic with higher sides. This means more durability and easier to load more gear piled higher. Third, the Pelican has pre-molded pole attachment points in the front. This makes it really easy to install removable pulk poles or a snowmobile hitch (although I have not tried with a snowmobile as I do not own one, but it is nice to have the option). The only pitfall is the Pelican sled is 15 pounds versus the Paris at only 5 lbs. This is not a problem if you are in shape and used to pulling lots of gear.

I plan to post more information on my setup in the near future including details on the inexpensive pole setup I am using. I will be sure to provide links and am happy to answer any questions.

The simple pole design I have on my Paris Expedition sled is from http://skipulk.com. Ed has a wealth of information on his site about pulk sleds. I look forward to letting him know about the Pelican Snow Trek 60 to see what he thinks.

#144731 - 01/12/11 08:24 AM Re: Snow Camping in Mt. Hood National Forest, Oregon [Re: Loomis]
Loomis Offline

I had a rewarding snow camping trip last weekend in the Upper Clackamas area near Shellrock Creek. Check out the pictures here. There were no other hikers in the area and we only saw one group of respectful snowmobiles pass us while hiking. The weather was great with off-and-on snow giving way to scenes of the surrounding mountainsides.

If anyone knows other places in the Mt Hood National Forest that are well suited for snow camping, please share.

#144741 - 01/12/11 12:14 PM Re: Snow Camping in Mt. Hood National Forest, Oregon [Re: Loomis]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
So what kind of chainsaw did you carry?
Jim

#144742 - 01/12/11 01:00 PM Re: Snow Camping in Mt. Hood National Forest, Oregon [Re: Jimshaw]
Loomis Offline

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
So what kind of chainsaw did you carry?
Jim

One of my favorites, a Stihl MS180, that I borrowed. My Stihl MS270 is just too big.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 121 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum