Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144676 - 01/11/11 07:39 AM Hiking staff versus trekking poles
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I did a quick search, and couldn't find any threads where this particular question was addressed as a specific topic (there were a few where it came into the discussion incidentally.) I thought it might be useful to have a specific discussion to help new hikers.

Question: Strictly for hiking, do you prefer to hike without a pole, with a single staff, or with a pair of trekking poles?

I'd prefer not to clutter the thread by discussing the auxiliary use of the poles as shelter supports and the various shelters available; that's a thread in itself. I'll stipulate to the very valid point that, if you are committed to lightweight hiking, a great way to save some weight is to select a shelter that uses your trekking poles to support the shelter, eliminating the need for separate tent poles. In addition to plain old tarps, there are a number of specific shelters out there: the Lunar series from Six Moon Designs leaps to mind, along with several models of the excellent TarpTent; MSR has a couple like the Twing and Twin Sisters, and just added the Fast Stash, a reintroduction of a design that they discontinued a few years ago. Black Diamond also offers some of these, as does Integral Designs and Granite Gear. Most such shelters are single-wall, and highly functional. There are also some, like other TarpTent models, that combine a single tent pole with a pair of trekking poles to optimize the setup. There are also some pyramidal-shaped shelters that only require one pole; however, some of these allow the use of "linked" poles to get increased headroom. If you're a new hiker, and interested in this approach, check these shelters out, and start a new thread if you have questions.

Because these shelters are all covered exhaustively in other threads, I'd prefer not to rehash all that here, and limit this thread to the relative merits of hiking with or without poles, using single vs. double poles, and related topics such as flick-lock versus twist-lock, anti-shock versus no anti-shock, and collapsible versus fixed.

#144678 - 01/11/11 08:26 AM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: Glenn]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I use a single hiking pole (staff). It is a Leki adjustible, twist lock with a "handle" that makes it look a bit like a cane. At my age the cane configuration may be appropriate.

I find that I prefer a staff to hiking without a pole or to using trekking poles. The staff helps with balance when negotiating talus and as a third leg when crossing streams. When I don't need it I just carry it in one hand. I got accustomed to having something like this when I did a lot of mountaineering and used an ice axe for much of what the staff now does.

I don't like to use trekking poles because I like to have one hand free. I also don't find that my hiking style is much, if any, improved by using two poles, even going downhill. I've given all of them a good try: no staff, one pole and two poles. For me, the single staff is the best compromise. YMMV. And, I can use the staff to hold up my tarp (oops! grin ).

#144679 - 01/11/11 08:27 AM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: Glenn]
mike Offline

I Prefer 2 poles.

I hike mostly in the Smokies where there are very few flat stretches of trail. 2 poles allows for me to get my arms involved on the uphills and helps with my knees and balance on the downhills.

Also, they help me keep a faster pace on steep downhills because they aid with balance. On top of that, they are marvelous for rock hopping/creek crossing.

#144680 - 01/11/11 08:43 AM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: Pika]
Glenn Offline

Sounds like our experience is similar. I started, 30+ years ago, using a single, fixed-length pole (a "Scout stave" purchased at the local Scouting store), the graduated to an adjustable-length Tracks pole. Eventually, experimenting with ultralight gear, I switched to a pair of trekking poles (motivated by the dual use of shelter support.) Now, I'm occasionally back to using a single pole (and a lightweight tent that has its own pole.) I always felt a tiny bit awkward with a pair of poles, though that feeling greatly diminished with a bit of use. I also, very occasionally, missed having one hand free to grab a tree or rock.

I use at least one pole, for a couple of reasons. First, poles help keep a rhythm to my pace. They also act as an excellent brake on a steep downhill. I'm also convinced that poles take a lot of stress off my knees - a big consideration, at age 60, still using my original knees, without modification. Finally, they give me a lot better balance when crossing streams or even negotiating tricky trail sections (lots of loose rocks, ascending or descending tree-root "staircases," etc.)

I also notice that, without poles, my hands tend to swell a bit (edema?) by late afternoon. With a pair of poles set to keep my arms bent at a 90 degree angle, I don't have this problem. (With a single pole, I get to choose which hand swells.)

As far as features, I tend to choose sectional poles without the antishock feature (the "click-click" is annoying.) I've never had any problems with flick-locks, and my hiking buddy loves that feature, but I tend to prefer twist-lock for no particular reason; however, if one ever fails me, I'll probably become an instant convert to the mechanically-simpler flick-lock.) I also like the push-button adjustment on the Tracks Sherlite staff I sometimes use: it's simple, and has also never failed.

I've used Leki, Black Diamond, MSR, and Tracks brands; all are high-quality, and I've never had any failures. The Leki included a single staff and paired poles, all in aluminum; Black Diamond was paired poles, in aluminum. MSR poles (my current paired-pole choices) are the Denali III aluminum poles and the Carbon Overland carbon-fiber poles. The Tracks pole is aluminum. I really like the weight, balance, and feel of the Overland Carbon poles; the handle is also a "fuzzy" hard-foam grip that feels good. However, like the Carbon Reflex tent, I just haven't developed total confidence in carbon-fiber yet. There's no justifiable reason not to; I suspect that it's more a function of age and emotional reaction - the carbon-fiber poles just look a little too much like the old fiberglass poles from 30 years ago, and they used to break (often on the first use.) I'm working my way toward a more informed judgment, though.

Edited by Glenn (01/11/11 02:54 PM)
Edit Reason: additional info on brands

#144681 - 01/11/11 08:58 AM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: Glenn]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Ususally I use two, although I will for the most part be content with one, and if I'm in "scrambling" kind of terrain on a mountain I will deliberately use one to have a hand free.
Browse my pictures

#144686 - 01/11/11 09:39 AM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: Glenn]
chimpac Offline

Loc: alberta,can.
I carry a hoe handle with an 8" bolt screwed into the end. The bolt is sharpened to a wicked point and covered with a piece of light pipe held on by a presto pin thru a hole in the bolt. The presto pin keeps the end from sinking to far in soft ground.
I fixed up the stick to walk in the mountains and to cut a hole in ice. I had a dream the other night that made me think I will carry it here on the farm. We have coyotes around that may take a calf if the cow leaves it alone. A small dog would never make it accross a field here. I have never been threated by a coyote but in my dream I was 1/2 mile from home and my snowmobile quit and I started to walk home when I saw a coyote, he was close between me and the house, he was laughing like a hyena.
I went back to the snowmobile for something to defend myself and could not find a thing so the only thing I could do is wake up.

Edited by chimpac (01/11/11 10:39 AM)

#144687 - 01/11/11 09:39 AM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: phat]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Truthfully, I am up in the air. I have used all three and haven't decided yet. Right now I am experimenting with two one-piece poles that don't adjust, $5 at a thrift store. I have used them for about a year now and am not sold on them. Although, I don't mind them either. When hiking with my dog, it is hard to hike on-leash with her and have two poles. Sometimes they seem in the way, and sometimes I see a benefit. I will keep using them for a little while longer to give them a fair shake.

#144690 - 01/11/11 10:49 AM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: Glenn]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Like Pika, use of an ice axe influenced me to try a hiking staff. My first was a repurposed shovel handle that made me resemble an Old Testament prophet. I have also used sticks plucked from brush piles and modified, as well as a mop handle found on a beach, but probably the most used is a Leki collapsible. I bought a pair but typically use only one. What I appreciate most is the ski-type strap which allows me to loosen my grip and still retain the pole. I also appreciate the collapsible feature -very handy for stowing in confined places.

I have tried using two poles, but it just doesn't feel that comfortable for me.

#144691 - 01/11/11 11:04 AM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: oldranger]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
And for a minority report---we don't either. Most of the studies we've seen show that both poles and staff actually increase the amount of work you do, although there are some ergonomic benefits for those with prlblem knees or backs.

ANd Colin Fletcher SWORE by his hiking staff!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#144694 - 01/11/11 12:20 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: balzaccom]
stipper09 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, Pa
I prefer two collapsable poles. Leki purchsed used and one did not collapse at an REI garage sale some years ago. Aluminum construction. My back feels better and my arms are busy. All other benefits have been mentioned...

#144696 - 01/11/11 12:22 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: Glenn]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I use a single pole. When I first started hiking I found that I was spending the first half hour looking for a suitable branch to use for a staff so I bought a Tracks collapsible pole. When I started using a tarptent it required an adjustable pole so I bought a pair of poles but have only used one at a time. I tried the two poles and could not get used to them. Like others have said it acts like a third leg for stability and acts like kind of a pace setter. Kind of like a metronome.

#144697 - 01/11/11 12:36 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: balzaccom]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
Originally Posted By balzaccom
Most of the studies we've seen show that both poles and staff actually increase the amount of work you do, although there are some ergonomic benefits for those with prlblem knees or backs.

What "studies" have you seen?

#144698 - 01/11/11 12:37 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: Glenn]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Is it off topic to ask if anyone has noticed if there is damage done by trekking poles?

I ask this in good nature, because I'm trying them out (bad knees and swelling in the hands) - but have noticed big holes in the ground / ground kinda ripped up depending on the type of ground by trekking poles. This was more noticeable in the desert where one there were (_a lot_) more hikers, more poles and sandy/ish ground.

Sorry if not appropriate,

Heather

#144700 - 01/11/11 01:01 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: Glenn]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I use a staff. Have for years now. The current one is about 6-8 years old, it's a "Beaver Stick" (the bark was stripped clean) I found on the shore of lake.

It's about chin high, I have a piece of heavy string on the top for a handle and even one of those tacky NF medallions nailed on it (the Buffalo River one).

I use it much the same as Pika, and to push brush, branches, and bramble out of my way when bushwhacking.

I fashioned a pair of lightweight beaver sticks to use as trekking poles and I just can't get used to them. I want and use that free hand way to much. I am constantly grabbing trees and rocks with one hand while climbing and using the pole for leverage and balance at the same time.

--

Chimpac, I love that dream!

It reminds me of a story about a guy I knew when I was about 15.

Y'all know how I am, so I'm sure you'll pardon my digression while I tell it wink

This guy was wealthy, his grandfather was Edward Doheny, and my father built cars for him. I won't go far into this part, but he was feeling blue so he decided to take his Greeves Trials Bike and go riding out in the desert on Christmas day. He rode for a few hours and the motorcycle broke down. He dinked with it for about an hour and then got angry and started yelling and kicking the bike till he was worn out with that, and then he sat, hands and head on his knees, and considered what he was going to do. It occurred to him that he didn't even know where he was, or how to get to his car, and that it would be getting dark, and then very cold, soon. He sat there thinking that it would really suck to freeze to death, all alone, in the desert, on Christmas day.

After a few moments he lifted his head and looked around. There, sitting about 100 ft in front of him was a coyote, staring at him. Thinking he'd rather freeze than get eaten alive, he got up and yelled and threw rocks at the coyote. The coyote just trotted a few more feet away and sat down and stared at him. This was repeated several times. Finally the guy gave up and walked back to his bike. The coyote followed him, but kept his distance, and sat back down and stared at him.

After a minute or two the coyote got up, still looking at him, trotted a short distance and stood waiting, then trotted back and sat and stared at him. This was also repeated a few times.

He told me, "It looked like he wanted me to follow him, so I did." He followed the coyote for about 20 minutes, pushing his bike, then resting, then following again, until he saw his car.

He was loading his bike on the trailer as the sun was setting, and the coyote was still sitting there, a couple hundred feet away, watching him.

He actually told me all this to explain why he was going to pour gas on that bike and enjoy watching it burn. I did a whole lot of fast talking, and then a whole lot of sanding on a car, and ended up with the bike smile

You can see a picture of the car here. I have many memories, but no pictures of the bike wink

"You want to go where?"

#144701 - 01/11/11 01:06 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: Heather-ak]
Glenn Offline

Great point, and one I've never really thought of. The type of terrain could very well influence your decision. Where I hike (Eastern US, mostly Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, and Virginia), it's not a problem - though now that you mention it, I have seen a few scratch marks where a trail might run across bare rock for 50 or 100 feet.

However, more fragile terrain might react more poorly. Do you think that using the rubber tips (like Leki or Tracks have) would avoid the problem without negatively impacting the functionality of the poles?

#144704 - 01/11/11 02:28 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: Glenn]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I used a single pole (Leki hiking staff) for many years before switching (at my daughter's insistence) to two poles 6 years ago.

The difference was phenomenal--almost 100% improvement in hiking pace, balance, support for knees going downhill, lessened fatigue going uphill. The poles have saved me from a number of potentially serious falls.

I also use the poles (with rubber tips on the points) for exercise walking at home. Using the poles turns walking into a full-body exercise that really works on the core muscles.

I switched from aluminum to carbon fiber poles several years ago, and found another big improvement in lessened fatigue. However, I still use the aluminum poles around home and for dayhiking, saving the carbon fiber ones for backpacking. Both sets of poles are also Leki--I'm very satisfied with their products.

While the rubber tips help reduce damage in sensitive areas, and I have used them in high alpine areas, you definitely do not want to use them on wet rock!

On how to use trekking poles: "Pete's Poles Page" is the best site I've found.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/11/11 02:30 PM)

#144707 - 01/11/11 03:08 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: billstephenson]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Of course, you never hear stories from the hikers who are led deeper into the wilderness by the renegade coyotes.......

There is one other very useful application for a hiking staff (or poles, too, for that matter)in dense brush. In the true spirit of "It looks dangerous, you go first" I keep my hiking staff more or less out in front of me, so that it can detect any snakes that might be around .

Edited by oldranger (01/11/11 03:13 PM)

#144710 - 01/11/11 04:54 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: oldranger]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By oldranger
Of course, you never hear stories from the hikers who are led deeper into the wilderness by the renegade coyotes.......

HA! ain't that the truth!

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't follow one that was laughing at me, no matter how fine a point I had on my hiking stick wink

"You want to go where?"

#144711 - 01/11/11 05:22 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: Glenn]
lori Offline

I always take two. I usually regret the hikes I go without them.

I had thought I wouldn't get twist lock again, but the Gossamer Gear Lightrek version is sufficiently different than those used by other mfrs that I have had zero issues with them. Rock solid poles.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#144712 - 01/11/11 05:32 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: lori]
BethON Offline

Loc: Near North Ontario
I use one pole if I have the dog with me because I don't have three hands... grin

Hiking with a partner that can be depended on to handle the dog, I switch to two poles.

They've saved my butt more than once on mud and creek crossings and I can't begin to tell you how much they help on both uphill and down grades.

I also use one pole here in town when I take the dog out for his walks...the outrigger effect works well on slippery sidewalks!!

#144713 - 01/11/11 06:02 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: Glenn]
X Ring Offline

Loc: S.W. Ohio
As a newbie to the backpacking world could I chime in and ask what features one should look for in a good set of poles. I’m getting overwhelmed with all the choices out there. It seems you could spend almost as much as you want on a set of these things. I’ve used a set for light ‘walking’ that I bought from Wally World a few years ago. They work just fine and I like the mechanics of using them, I’m just wondering if ‘trading up’ would be beneficial somehow.

#144714 - 01/11/11 06:15 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: X Ring]
lori Offline

Poles that stay locked and can briefly support your body weight. The rest is all preference. If you want to use them for a shelter support an adjustable pole is preferable.

I would use what you have until they bend/break, and start reading threads about trekking poles again. Lots of folks start with the WalMart poles. They're just heavier than a lot of other options.

I started with Komperdell - they lasted about a year. I still have one of them but the other fails to lock.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#144715 - 01/11/11 06:43 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

If you're new to hiking, but already have the Wallyworld poles and like them, do the same thing you'll do with any other new gear: take them on a training/shakedown hike where you'll be able to see if they hold up under more strenuous use but won't be "betting the farm" on them.

If you're an experienced hiker, you do pretty much the same thing with any new gear: take it on a trip where you won't be at risk if it does fail (you can bail out easily, have a backup with you, etc.)

#144716 - 01/11/11 07:05 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: X Ring]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The link in my post above will give you lots of information.

#144720 - 01/11/11 07:50 PM Re: Hiking staff versus trekking poles [Re: Glenn]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
For me, trekking poles are useful when you are on trail or easy cross country. Since I go with my dog, I go free hand or with a rattan pole. There is a particularly nice 1.5 man solo tent by light heart that uses trekking poles for support. It looks like a very nice design. I have been drooling over it since TomD posted the link at the end of summer. Perfect for me and my dog.

sk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum