Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144623 - 01/09/11 05:58 PM Touching the sides of my new tent?
Jackhammer Offline

Hey all, this is my first post here so bear with me.

Backstory first: I've been camping since almost before I could walk, but this summer me and the girlfriend will be taking our first stab at backpacking. I've spent these cold, dreary winter months acquiring the necessary gear, and I've run into my first snag.

We are tall people (6'4" and 6'1" respectively) and the tent I've bought (Sierra Designs Vaporlight 2XL) seems to be big enough, but only just. My pitch-in-the-basement analysis reveals that while our pads and bags will indeed fit inside, its going to be awfully tough to keep the bags from touching the upper part of the bathtub floor/side of the tent. Now with the Coleman Special tents that I'm used to this would result in a very wet night, but with a modern tent with modern waterproofing, am I going to be all right?

#144633 - 01/09/11 07:45 PM Re: Touching the sides of my new tent? [Re: Jackhammer]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I cannot speak about that specific tent but my experience is that with a double wall tent, touching the sides in not an issue, if it were I would be in big trouble. I sleep with my dog who is constantly either touching or resting against the inner tent wall. We have been in some very heavy downpours and stayed nice and dry.

Back in my Boy Scout days we used Egyptian Cotton tents and being single walled we had to be careful not to touch the sides when it was raining. A nylon tent with a good fly is a totally different matter.

Howie

#144638 - 01/09/11 08:32 PM Re: Touching the sides of my new tent? [Re: Jackhammer]
lori Offline

Seam seal the fly as indicated by the instructions and don't worry about touching the walls.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#144641 - 01/09/11 10:10 PM Re: Touching the sides of my new tent? [Re: Jackhammer]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Just to reinforce that it is okay in a double-walled tent. When I go car-camping with my wife's family we bring an actual doubled-walled tent and my bag is forever touching the inner wall.

This has never been an issue, although some nights I have woken up to a damp footbox on my bag-- but it is not something that I would worry about.

#144646 - 01/10/11 09:33 AM Re: Touching the sides of my new tent? [Re: Jackhammer]
Loomis Offline

Loc: Milwaukie, Oregon USA
Condensation on the inside of a double wall tent is often factored by the temperature, humidity, and amount of ventilation. In warm, dry climates, with adequate ventilation, there will be likely be no condensation on the inside of your tent. In cooler more humid environments with no ventilation (tent windows all closed up) there will be some condensation inside. In either case, touching the sides will only result in a small amount of water getting on the outside of your bag. Ventilation is key. Condensation can be kept to a minimum if you leave vents open in your tent (many 3-season backpacking tents have mesh panels that are always uncovered to allow ventilation).

#144650 - 01/10/11 11:07 AM Re: Touching the sides of my new tent? [Re: Jackhammer]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Loomis pretty well summarized the issue of condensation on the bathtub walls of a tent. It depends on several factors. I offer my experience for contrast to some of the other replies. I do have trouble with condensation on the bath tub floor walls. From the replies it looks like most people don't.

I very often backpack in the Pacific Northwest early and late in the the season where temperatures are low (20s and 30s F) at night and humidity is high. My clothes are usually wet from rain and/or sweat plus my body gives off quite a bit of moisture, even when at rest. So the inside of my tent is usually pretty humid (even with bagging of wet clothes and venting).

When the humid air hits the cool bathtub walls I get a lot of condensation. Over a several day trip, without drying during the day, my bag can lose significant loft in the foot area if I can't avoid touching the walls.

In some of my home made tents I have eliminated bath tub floor walls because of this problem.

#144664 - 01/10/11 05:48 PM Re: Touching the sides of my new tent? [Re: DJ2]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Depending on where you are, you might consider putting your bags in a very lightweight bivy sack like a Black Diamond Winter Bivy, which I have and use for winter camping. It is just a bag with a cross zip and mine is made from Epic. It weighs 8 oz.

They aren't made anymore, but I've seen the remaining stock for sale online. May be hard to find, though. Someone else must make something similar.

#144682 - 01/11/11 09:25 AM Re: Touching the sides of my new tent? [Re: TomD]
Jackhammer Offline

Excellent information chaps. Cheers.

#145489 - 01/27/11 11:31 AM Re: Touching the sides of my new tent? [Re: Jackhammer]
Byron Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Hi,

This is also my first post! I want to learn more about hiking and camping which is why I have joined. I do have a suggestion that is hopefully helpful. I have found that although the tents of today do seem more water resistant I always water proof the tent especially the seams. I have always been a late spring - early summer camper/hiker and this has always kept me dry. I also, for waterproof and insultion, place a tarp under the tent. This keeps the tent clean and helps protect it from moisture. I hope this was helpful and not a ramble.

Thank you,
Byron "BB"

#145600 - 01/30/11 07:38 PM Re: Touching the sides of my new tent? [Re: TomD]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
I also bivy with good results. Two sources: Commercial, ID (like their work, and it's Canadian); Cottage, Ron Bell, MLD (much lighter, and he can, I'm sure, make what you need. Best, jcp

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum