Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144406 - 01/04/11 06:40 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Jimshaw]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I don't think that the hiking and camping is the problem, but I do think that doing something "dangerous" my lead to some apprehention. It really seems strange that you would mention 'something dangerous' because most of us, any way, go out of our way to avoid doing any thing that may be dangerous in the backcountry.

#144407 - 01/04/11 06:42 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Jimshaw]
sabre11004 Offline

Where in GOD"S name do you get all these statistics???? They claim that 87% of all statistics are made up...

#144408 - 01/04/11 06:46 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: lori]
sabre11004 Offline

I think that is a lot of my problem. I have buddies that hike, but you really could not say that they are hikiers. They go occassionally and have limited gear, therefore, I ususally end up either supplying some sort of gear or at least showing some body along for the ride how to use it. I think that has taken away from my enjoyment a little bit, but I do enjoy helping them. It makes them think that I am smarter than they are LOL.....

#144409 - 01/04/11 06:49 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Pika]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
Originally Posted By Pika
For me it is plantar fasciitis.

The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution helped me tremendously.

#144410 - 01/04/11 06:49 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Trailrunner]
sabre11004 Offline

I took my first solo trip last year and have been hiking for twenty years or more. It was in January and was on the AT. It was very very cold and the solitude was something that I have never experienced in it's totallity. It was really earie at times but man did it do me a lot of good to experience that solitude..I don't think that I have been any where that I have experienced total solitude. Not even a sound...Not one..Scary a little but was nice...

#144414 - 01/04/11 07:24 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: sabre11004]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By sabre11004
Where in GOD"S name do you get all these statistics????

I would say that personal experience leads me to "feel" those numbers are about right.

If you do the math it works out to about 50 out of a 1,000 people hike and about one in 10,000 hikers are climbers. That sounds about right to me.

They claim that 87% of all statistics are made up...

Hmmm....

Yep. That "feels" about right too! laugh

"You want to go where?"

#144420 - 01/04/11 07:55 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: sabre11004]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
...the solitude was something that I have never experienced in it's totallity. It was really earie at times...

It is different backpacking alone the first time. I'd hiked and car camped alone a lot, since I was 18, but I was probably in my early 40's when I did my first solo backpack. I had wanted to for a long time, but other things postponed it.

It's hard to describe how I felt when I finally did. I didn't get the heebie jeebies, but I did feel weird when I set up camp, cooked dinner, and sat there eating. It was kind of like having a party by myself.

"You want to go where?"

#144434 - 01/04/11 10:03 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: sabre11004]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey

87% statistics are made up.

I think that is a lot of my problem. I have buddies that hike, but you really could not say that they are hikiers. They go occassionally and have limited gear, therefore, I ususally end up either supplying some sort of gear or at least showing some body along for the ride how to use it. I think that has taken away from my enjoyment a little bit, but I do enjoy helping them. It makes them think that I am smarter than they are LOL.....

HAHAHAH! That is exactly my situation sabre. Well for about 80% of my hiking friends (that is truly made up based on fact confused). I have to take applied statistics this semester. What a load of crapola.

#144456 - 01/05/11 02:57 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: hikerduane]
MaryPhyl Offline

Loc: Arizona
Age and the feet that come with it are my weak spots. This is part of why my load had gotten so light--it helps to compensate.

I seem to take about half again as long to get anywhere on foot--what used to be 4 hours is now 6. I don't mind all of this but I have to remember not to set myself up for any more than 10 miles in a day and 6 or 7 is more in line with my abilities now.

#144501 - 01/06/11 02:13 AM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: hikerduane]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Buying gear is apparantly mine; I was pretty sure last year that all the gear I had already would be fine for my next sizeable trip, but now I find myself incrementally replacing tent, down jacket, and now sleeping bag, plus a new GPS ...

No one of these things do I absolutely *have* to have, but they all represent improvements (I think) over what I have been using, and on a per-mile and a per-day-of-hiking basis they amortize pretty well, and each of the new items will give me (yet) more flexibility in future years to tune gear to the specific trip.

But still.

#144513 - 01/06/11 06:06 AM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: MaryPhyl]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Age is my biggest challenge. I used to be able to go 15-20 miles per day at 2 MPH. Now I find that 8-10 miles is good and 1 to 1.5 MPH is good. I still start up in the morning as soon as it is light enough to see but by 3:00 I am looking for a campsite. In some ways it is better than when I was younger. I guess that we mellow with age. In the past I thought that backtracking on the same trail was really bad. Now I just go until half of my trip time is used up and turn around. I remember reading that you should do all of your trips before you are 60 and I am 10 years beyond that and still going out.

#144522 - 01/06/11 10:42 AM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: GrumpyGord]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Right on Grumpy Gord!

#144524 - 01/06/11 11:17 AM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I didn't do the math, but I think the general principle is right: use tends to get concentrated in the most accessible parts of the area. Both times I visited Isle Royale, the boat was full going over (100 or so people.) The campground at the dock/lodge area was full, with no vacancies. Three Mile, the nearest "backcountry" campground, was full the first night; that "crowd" of 50 or 60 moved on to Daisy Farm the next day - and when we left Daisy Farm around lunch, we didn't see more than 5 people the rest of the trip, until we returned to Three Mile the night before we got back on the boat.

#144528 - 01/06/11 01:36 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Glenn]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
At the beautiful Pacific coast of Oregon there are many, many state-owned waysides and access points to our beaches. Predictably, the beach area within 1/4 mile of the parking lot always has the crowds. The further you walk, the fewer the people. This predictor tends to work well almost everywhere, in my experience.

Another rule of thumb I apply consistently is "if you want solitude, don't camp near a lake". People are drawn to lakes for many reasons: swimming, fishing, the guarantee of a view across the water, and they are just so easy to see on the map.

#144551 - 01/06/11 09:10 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: hikerduane]
stonemark Offline

Loc: China
my weak link~ ennnn, maybe the speed, I can't catch up with the others at the start of the hiking, maybe I need to exercise more?

#144564 - 01/07/11 09:16 AM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Glenn]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
There is a corollary to Jim's statement (which I think is correct, BTW) - 80% of the problems are caused by 2% of the visitors. That 2% spends a lot of tax dollars.

#144567 - 01/07/11 10:11 AM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: oldranger]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By oldranger
There is a corollary to Jim's statement (which I think is correct, BTW) - 80% of the problems are caused by 2% of the visitors. That 2% spends a lot of tax dollars.

usually made worse in groups:

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." - K
Browse my pictures

#144573 - 01/07/11 01:12 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: phat]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
good point phat, I've seen by normally environmentally conscious people not worry about max # in a group since we know what we are doing. Burning beer cans and garbage in coastal campsites so they don't have to pack it out. Sad, here I'm a little bit redneck and I would not do that stuff, can't do anything about the group size since I was invited and not organizing the trip, I can pack it in and pack it out though which I do and police my site, usually for something to do.

#144577 - 01/07/11 03:57 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: hikerduane]
ALLEN Offline

Loc: Ohio
My weak link is the knees and my windage. The knees start aching then I find I'm huffing and puffing so its time to sit a spell. But, at 63 years, I don't care that much. I just keep thinking that eventually I'll get where I'm going and thats good enough. If I had better memory I'd recall just where that fountain of youth was.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum