Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144458 - 01/05/11 03:18 PM Anyone else take a footprint?
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've rarely, if ever, used a footprint under my tent.

However, lately I find that I often take a footprint (groundcloth) with me. I still don't put it under my tent, except in the rare day-long rain that turns everything to mud, but I find it handy enough to have that I take it anyhow.

I've used it once or twice in the rain, with my fly and tent poles, to make a nice snug shelter for lunch.

Also, in the east-central woods where I hike, we're encouraged by the various land managers to use "established backcountry campsites," where the impact price has already been paid, to prevent broader impact. (Some of these sites are created by the managers - such as state parks - while others were chosen by hikers. Lots of hikers.) As a result, these are always bare dirt (bare mud, in the rain), and it's kind of nice to have a groundcloth to spread out. It keeps my clothes and chair kit cleaner, and my sweaty legs aren't resting in the dirt. I also find myself pulling it out at pack-off rest stops, maybe opening it half, to use as a sit pad.

Just curious - anyone else find themselves doing anything similar?

#144461 - 01/05/11 03:43 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Glenn]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
I take along a 4 foot by 4 foot piece of Tyvek for those purposes. Slides into an outside pack pocket and I pull it out when I need a clean surface.

#144465 - 01/05/11 04:42 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Glenn]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Car camping - I always take a footprint.

Backpacking - only if I expect really soggy conditions under the tent.

#144466 - 01/05/11 04:46 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Glenn]
Richardvg03 Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca
I have never ever used a footprint.

Already getting notifications to be more "gentle"..?? smile

#144467 - 01/05/11 04:50 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Glenn]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I take a piece of painters plastic and put it under when I camp locally - tundra and rocks are sharp sometimes, and I love my $30, 2 pound tent. So I don't want to take the chance wrecking it.

#144469 - 01/05/11 05:22 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Heather-ak]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
I used to, now I leave it at home and choose my tent spot a little more carefully. It's been about ten years since I started to leave the footprint at home (which was just window plastic) and I've never had a problem with the bottom of my tent.

#144474 - 01/05/11 06:44 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: rionada]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Yea, I have been. Mainly because I have been renting various tents to see what is currently out there and the footprint is included. Interestingly, I have noticed that the "4lb" tent weighs closer to 5 lbs. In other words, add about 1lb to the weight (and I do not take the tent bag or anything extra). I have to admit that I like the looks of the lightheart tents but I am not ready to cough up for one. Still looking.

sk

the lightheart solo will fit my dog and me nicely.

Edited by skcreidc (01/05/11 06:48 PM)

#144475 - 01/05/11 07:29 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: skcreidc]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
No footprint here--just unnecessary weight, IMHO. If you feel you absolutely, positively must have something under your tent, use a piece of thin plastic painter's drop cloth cut to an inch or two each side smaller than your tent. Or, for an ounce or so heavier, the polycro plastic sheets sold by Mountain Laurel Designs, Gossamer Gear or at your local hardwear for storm windows. These are tough enough to last a season or more.

I've never had any moisture leakage through my silnylon tent floors--even when I had a SMD Lunar Solo with the extra lightweight floor. I always "police" my tent site to remove sharp stones, sticks and pine cones. The important thing is tent site selection: don't pick a site in a depression that will become a pond during a cloudburst.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/05/11 07:31 PM)

#144477 - 01/05/11 07:36 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Offline

Like I said, I never use it under my tent - but I've found it handy to have around for other uses. Kind of surprised myself, since I'd never carried one before, so I just thought I'd toss it out onto the forum.

#144478 - 01/05/11 07:38 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: OregonMouse]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I have to admit that I have a lot to learn about tent site selection. I usually hike until I'm dead and put my tent up there (obviously NOT in a depression.) Sadly, I think the only way to learn tent site selection is pick bad ones and then say - Ug never again do xyz. =)

#144479 - 01/05/11 08:02 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Heather-ak]
Glenn Offline

Like I said, around here the land managers "encourage" you to use beat-up sites; most of them are beside a creek. I usually do if I'm with a group, since those are higher impact no matter how hard they try not to be; it also simplifies water issues. When I'm alone, or with one other experienced person, I'll simply carry an extra 2 or 3 quarts of water to a better place, and camp there following low-impact guidelines (including minimizing the amount of wandering around I do.) Those sites are often on a ridge top, in a clearing with a view - much nicer. Usually, those sites are even legal.

#144480 - 01/05/11 08:48 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: OregonMouse]
skcreidc Offline

Yes. Never put your tent in a depression. That is a good one for the words of wisdom thread. I got my first tent in 1984 or something for $30. A three person dome by who knows who. Zipped on down to Punta Baja (in Baja California) to do some graduate work. No excuses, we put this thing up, brand new, in a clay depression (no footprint by the way). The place is known for intense fog and fog drip, hence the desert in that area is pretty "green". I wake up in the morning, lay my arm down on the tent floor and it feels like I am in a water bed. I couldn't believe it. There was almost 2" of water in the depression, and the tent did not leak.

sk

#144485 - 01/05/11 11:00 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: skcreidc]
lori Offline

It also probably helps to have a decent tent to begin with.

A friend was given an old North Face Windy Pass - he wanted to see what it would do in the rain, so out we went on new year's. I stayed warm and dry under my tarp with my quilts and hammock. His tent floor started to leak through around 4 pm, before he put his pad in. And his fly was sagging mightily.

Another way to avoid problems in rain - stake out your tent so it's nice and taut, to avoid puddling on the fly, or sagging, etc. He would have improved things by doing a better job guying out the tent. He didn't use a ground cloth, either, tho I'm dubious about how much that would have helped.

My friend slept in it and stayed dry - by adding layers to his pad to get him up off the floor. There were puddles alongside. Rain was pretty constant all night.

I took a tent too, a new one, Sierra Designs, to test my seam sealing acumen. My gripe wasn't with waterproofness - didn't leak a bit. But the water puddles on the top of the fly near the seam unless you stake out the back center loop, and they didn't give me enough stakes to do that. Fortunately I brought a whole bunch with me to guy out my massive tarp with eight tie outs as well as the tent. Pulling out the loop a couple inches changed the profile of the fly and let the water run free.

I don't use a ground cloth but will use my multi use sheet of silnylon (ostensibly a pack cover, never really seems to be used that way) in the vestibule as a ground cover. I've also used it, or a trash bag, or my sit pad, as a place to put my feet getting out of the hammock while I"m reaching for my shoes.

Attached is a shot of a Windy Pass, long past its prime. It's worth about a thousand words. I was amazed he actually slept in it.

Attachments
IMG_31692.jpg

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#144486 - 01/05/11 11:10 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: lori]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I will take a footprint sometimes - when expecting to camp on rockshards of nastyness I will take a piece of tyvek. I'll also take it when hitchiking back to my car (a flag with HIKER TO CAR works real well on it..)

However most of the time I don't I'm either hanging (hammock) or I can tarp/tent it where I don't need a footprint.

Edited by phat (01/05/11 11:11 PM)
Browse my pictures

#144493 - 01/06/11 12:25 AM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: lori]
skcreidc Offline

I am in total agreement with you on the having the tent taut. (Sounds like the start of an alliteration). The tent you show is one that really needs to be set up right to avoid moisture issues (in my experience). Too easy to get a sagging mid section.

sk

But who am I too talk, I will take a poncho to sleep on in the desert in winter. No tent or grouncloth. If it rains I sleep setting up all nite.

#144497 - 01/06/11 01:11 AM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: skcreidc]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We use a light painters tarp underneath our tent. Not really sure why. On longer trips it does help keep the thing a little cleaner, and may reduce condensation in the morning.

Now you've got me thinking....

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#144502 - 01/06/11 02:16 AM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: balzaccom]
Wilderness70 Offline

I just received a footprint for my Kelty Gunnison 2.1 this Christmas and plan on taking it with next trip to try it out. The Kelty has a pretty thin floor and even though I try to clean out a spot as best as possible there's still a chance of cutting it.

Also, I think the footprint will help a lot with insulation, limiting heat loss through the ground.

Edited by Whiskeyguy (01/06/11 02:17 AM)

#144529 - 01/06/11 01:44 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Glenn]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Depends entirely on the conditions. I only have an actual tent maybe half the time I'm out. Tarp/hammock/bivy do the rest. When I do use a tent I will usually use a footprint. But these days my footprint is THIS.

If I choose to carry the luxury of a tent I realy don't mind an extra 1.6 ounces to keep it clean. During wet multi day trips I really don't like rolling up a tent with a muddy bottom. Even if you fold the muddy sides toward each other, eventually the dirt gets everywhere. I guess I'm kind of a clean freak even when I haven't had a shower for a week!!!

Also......the silnylon floors of my particular tents are not truly waterproof and they will become wet on the inside due to hydrostatic pressure. The waterproof nonwoven polycro material takes care of that problem.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#144531 - 01/06/11 02:43 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Glenn]
Jmeyers Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
For awhile I used a heavy duty poncho. Real heavy duty. Weighed quite a bit and didn't pack well.

Benefits: Ground cloth
Rain gear
Emergency shelter
Pack liner
Signaling (inside was yellow)

Draw backs: What if I need more than one at a time....?

#144532 - 01/06/11 02:44 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Glenn]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I'm with Trailrunner on this issue; I don't like dirt sticking to my tent floor. I take a strip of kite Tyvek 22" wide and 60" long and put it under the tent floor where my sleeping pad will be. It keeps dirt from sticking to most of the underside of the floor and it only weighs 1.3 oz. It also provides some protection for the floor itself. I may be the exception but I have had holes poked in my tent floor in the past even though I am pretty careful about looking for sharpies. Probably the next time I'll have a hole poked in both the ground cloth and the tent floor. I'll let you know.

#144534 - 01/06/11 03:25 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Pika]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I use the footprint that came with my marmot tent just because I love that tent and try to keep it as clean as possible.

#144537 - 01/06/11 03:54 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: GDeadphans]
skcreidc Offline

The footprint or groundcloth really helps in keeping the bottom of the tent clean. And its easier to fold up the dirty side, wet or dry, to keep it away from the rest of the stuff in your pack. BTW, trailrunners $4 UL groundcloth looks nice. Does anyone know how long these last?

sk

Edited by skcreidc (01/06/11 03:55 PM)

#144555 - 01/06/11 09:48 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Pika]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Maybe if I camped in Arizona I might, but NO - NEVER. Buy a decent tent and take care of it instead, but of course, some people camp where there is dirt and mud... wink Calling our volcanic dust "soil" is the accepted norm, but nobody calls it dirt.
Jim

#144563 - 01/07/11 07:26 AM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Offline

Yeah, the dirt and mud can be annoying - but I recall the words of John Wayne, when asked if his deputies (a drunk, a kid, and a geezer) "is all you got?", replied, "It's WHAT I've got." wink

#144566 - 01/07/11 10:04 AM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Heather-ak]
Loomis Offline

Loc: Milwaukie, Oregon USA
Originally Posted By hhavel
I take a piece of painters plastic and put it under when I camp locally - tundra and rocks are sharp sometimes, and I love my $30, 2 pound tent. So I don't want to take the chance wrecking it.

I also use thick painters plastic (6 or 8 mil I think) under one of my backpacking tents to protect from rocks and mud. I use a piece of Tyvek under another tent for the same purpose. hhavel, what tent do you have that is 2 pounds and only $30? I love a good deal especially if it is light!

#144692 - 01/11/11 11:36 AM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Heather-ak]
stipper09 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, Pa
That's why I switched to the ENO hammock. The ENO hammock is new and I only spent one night in it, but felt much better in the morning. There is still certain amount of site selection, but no worries if the ground is uneven or rocky.

#144897 - 01/15/11 07:25 AM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Glenn]
ALLEN Offline

Yes. I figure its a layer of protection for my tent that will help it to last longer. Folds up to almost nothing and weighs little. When its go time I can pack up the tent with a clean bottom, flip the base layer over and let air a bit then shake off the dirt, fold up and stuff somewhere.

#145078 - 01/19/11 09:46 AM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Glenn]
Ender Offline

Loc: ME
I always bring a footprint now, one that I made out of Tyvek for a tarp setup I used to use years ago, even though I've recently been mostly hammocking. It's nice to have a quick and easy way to instantly have a clean place to sit down, do tasks, etc etc etc, even during quick breaks or lunch breaks.

When I do tent, I still put it under the tent, since I'm carrying it anyway.

#145087 - 01/19/11 12:19 PM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: Ender]
skcreidc Offline

Used to be I just left footprints...

#145160 - 01/20/11 03:39 AM Re: Anyone else take a footprint? [Re: skcreidc]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
I use a small piece of tyvek, 1x1.5 m, with grommets in the corners, as sitting mat, table cloth, partiel footprint, or extention of tent floor under the abside, can even be hung from tent apex as a kind of porch, or sun shade, or even rain protection for bits of laundry hanging from trees.
Or emergency poncho for toilet runs at night, when I don't bother putting on raingear...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum