Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143956 - 12/25/10 10:40 PM Toddler's sleeping bag
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
After looking for small kids sleeping bags I am beginning to think I will have to make one for my grandson. But I would rather just buy one. Problem is that he is small for his age (he will be 3 end of January). Most "kids" bags are big enough for me! And they weigh well over 2 pounds. I want a true small child's bag that he can actually carry himself and that weighs no more than 1.5 pounds. There are baby bags out there but mostly for inside use. Does anyone know of a bag that is only about 36-40 inches tall? Since he now sleeps in a "sleep sack" (arms stick out) my daughter thought a similar bag made of the same materials as a regular sleeping bag would be good. He could then just sleep in his jacket and hat in the beefed up sleep sack. Any other ideas?

#143957 - 12/25/10 11:32 PM Re: Toddler's sleeping bag [Re: wandering_daisy]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
Hey WD,

It's a pricey solution ($200) and not as short as your talking about, but the WM tamarak is a wonderful bag. It only weighs 19 oz. I bought 2 for my twin boys and they have worked out beautifully. I had them overstuffed by 3 oz which increased the loft dramatically. We have had them out in subfreezing conditions and the boys report being comfortable all night long. It also stuffs down to the size of a canalope. It's expensive, but you can sell it for almost what you paid when you're done with it.

#143987 - 12/26/10 09:23 PM Re: Toddler's sleeping bag [Re: wandering_daisy]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Can't think of his name, but there is a guy over on BPL's forums who makes custom bags - and kid ones he does as well.

With my oldest, Ford, I didn't do down though. He had a Tigger by North Face, which while a bit heavier (1 14?) it was a well built bag that took a lot of abuse and still looked new when I sold it when he got too tall.

Only problem with a sleep sack would be arms getting cold at night. I understand the sleep sack though - my youngest, Walker, used one between 3 and 6 months.

#144000 - 12/26/10 11:52 PM Re: Toddler's sleeping bag [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'd also recommend the North Face Tigger. It takes a lot of abuse and frequent laundering and still, surprisingly for a synthetic bag, has maintained its loft over the past 5 years (for the oldest bag). I would never, never get a down bag for a child who still has "accidents" at night! By the time a kid is 4, a middle-of-the-night "accident" will overpower any diaper/training pants combination you can possibly dream up!

It's also amazing how fast my grandkids have grown out of small sleeping bags. My 10-year-old grandson outgrew his Tigger a year ago. I picked up an REI SubKilo (on sale) for him that hopefully will last through his teen years! His 6-year-old little brother now has his Tigger. He sleeps in it at home, too! "Sissy" has almost outgrown the Tigger but not, completely, the tendency to "accidents." There's a SubKilo for her waiting in my closet.

#144076 - 12/28/10 11:15 AM Re: Toddler's sleeping bag [Re: sarbar]
Slowfoot Offline

Loc: Missouri
The guy on BPL is Enlightened Equipment. He does both down and synthetic.

#144157 - 12/30/10 05:11 PM Re: Toddler's sleeping bag [Re: Slowfoot]

Unfortunately, per an announcement he recently made on the BPL forum, Tim Marshall is temporarily closing his Enlightened Equipment business while he completes a merger with another firm. He promises that he will open back up, but it could be 6 months.

It's really unfortunate that basically none of the "cottage" firms make backpacking gear for children!

#144169 - 12/30/10 11:56 PM Re: Toddler's sleeping bag [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

I bought a kids 30-degree Marmot synthetic bag on sale and am going to simply cut off the bottom foot of the bag and re-sew the foot section. The bag was cheap enough ($40) that if it is outgrown in 2-3 years its OK. There is a little brother who then could use it. I picked this bag because it was the lightest and the narrowest. Sorry but I cannot remember the name of the bag. I am traveling so not at home to look at the box! PS. We got caught in the Arizona storm- trying to get to Albequeraue NM - had to drop all the way to Hw10 through Tuscon. Light snow and heavy wind nearly all the way to Truth or Consequences where we are now happily indoors.

#144187 - 12/31/10 12:34 PM Re: Toddler's sleeping bag [Re: wandering_daisy]

Sounds like what I did for one of the grandkids' packs--there was an older model REI Comet on sale at REI and I butchered the daylights out of it to get it down to less than 2 lbs.

#144199 - 12/31/10 07:52 PM Re: Toddler's sleeping bag [Re: OregonMouse]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
OM, if I had the time I would. I did when Ford was around 4-6 in making gear. I cannot even keep up with cozies. The baby falls asleep and the last thing I wanna do is sew grin More like "where is MY nap?"

#144608 - 01/08/11 04:37 PM Re: Toddler's sleeping bag [Re: sarbar]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
The Lucky Bums brand is very good:
http://luckybums.com/camping.aspx

BF cool

#144842 - 01/13/11 09:51 PM Re: Toddler's sleeping bag [Re: bigfoot2]
wandering_daisy Offline

I seriously doubt the temperature ratings for those Lucky Bums bags. They are cotton lined and synthetic. Both weigh about 2 pounds, but one is supposedly a 50-degree bag (I do believe that) and the other a 15-degree bag (I seriously doubt that). Cotton lining is not good for backpacking- it would really absorb moisture. These bags seem more like sleep-over bags or car-camping bags for a dry, warm summer area.

#144853 - 01/14/11 02:52 AM Re: Toddler's sleeping bag [Re: wandering_daisy]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
WD, I see you already found a bag, but if you want something else about that size in the future, look for what's called an "elephant's foot." It is basically a half bag made for climbers for emergency bivies where they use their jacket, mitts, etc. with the half bag.

#144864 - 01/14/11 11:54 AM Re: Toddler's sleeping bag [Re: TomD]
wandering_daisy Offline

I did consider elephant's foot- but they really are quite expensive and down is not suitable for a 3-yr old who still has accidents (bag must be VERY washable). They also are designed as half bags so do not have a hood or draft collar. I actually sewed a synthetic elephant's foot for myself in the early 1970's and spent more than 50 nights out in that elephant's foot and down parka. The elephant's foot became my children's bag. After many years and many moves, I no longer have it- must have given it away.

#144871 - 01/14/11 04:13 PM Re: Toddler's sleeping bag [Re: wandering_daisy]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Yeah, I saw they were pricey and didn't take into consideration the "accident" factor. One of the bags I saw was insulated with Climashield and another one was down and twice as much.

#145262 - 01/21/11 05:00 PM Re: Toddler's sleeping bag--North Face Tigger [Re: TomD]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Here is one for sale on Craigslist for $25.00:

http://eugene.craigslist.org/spo/2170425849.html

I am not selling it, only saw it while browsing. Hope it helps someone.

BF cool

#145952 - 02/06/11 02:40 PM Re: Toddler's sleeping bag--North Face Tigger [Re: bigfoot2]
Cesar Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
I just found this on REI's website
Deuter Little Star EXP Kids 22oz but doesn't list a temp rating

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum