Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143949 - 12/25/10 07:53 PM need some help.
justme Offline

Loc: wyoming,usa
Hey guys. Im in the market to purchase both a 3-4 season two man tent for camping year round. I want to keep the price 300 or under and preferably some what light weight for back packing. Any suggestions?

I would also like to get a light weight bivy or hammock for spring through fall camping and i cant decide if I want a bivy or hammock. I know nothing about the pros or cons of either. Im 6'1" around 210lbs if that makes a difference for the choice of a bivy or hammock. Just looking for some info on both. Thanks

#143955 - 12/25/10 10:06 PM Re: need some help. [Re: justme]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Howdy Justme!
Did you try using the search engine for 'tent' in the subject?
I recall several threads within the last 6 months here that had good discussions about the various tents. If this search engine doesn't find them you can try google and include the backpacking.net in the search string. For $300, there are lots to choose from and it is more about specific features that you are wanting.

As for bivies or hammocks, I'm a hammock guy.
The best place to find info on hammocks is over at hammockforums.net. Prepare to spend a lot of time reading.

A lot of it depends on where you plan on doing most of your hiking. If you're above treeline, you'll obviously need a bivy.

#143960 - 12/26/10 01:41 AM Re: need some help. [Re: justme]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Mountain hardwear lightpath 2
^ Enough said ^^

#143966 - 12/26/10 02:50 AM Re: need some help. [Re: justme]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
It's just a bit over $300, but for a 3 - 4 season tent you could consider the tarptent Scarp 2.

The problem with getting pro's and con's about bivy vs. hammock is that different people will come to different conclusions. Ultimately the only way to know what you like is to try stuff out. Bivy is simpler, but has some unique downsides (and upsides of course). Hammock camping is a longer and steeper learning curve.

Ideal would be if you could borrow or rent gear to try it out, or at least the bivy option. Are you thinking straight bivy, or bivy with some sort of tarp? Perhaps a poncho tarp? If the latter then you're also starting to involve your clothing choices ... this stuff isn't easy if you're really trying to optimize weight.

#143967 - 12/26/10 02:55 AM Re: need some help. [Re: justme]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
I always find it difficult to suggest a full 4-season season setup that is also adequate for 3-season use.

My expertise lies with tarps and not tents; so if you are not interested then I apologize now for the post. My 3-season shelter as been the SpinnTwinn-- a great two person shelter and a palace for one in the 3-season Colorado Rockies. It weighs in at 9.8oz including line.

My winter tarp is an MLD Duo-mid, comes in at around 13oz.

Both cost less than your $300 price range and weigh under a pound.

I am not a hammock camper, but I do own a bivy-- a TiGoat which is 6.8oz.

So my three season shelter (Tarp, bivy, stakes) = 19.6oz. Total cost is about $300.

#143971 - 12/26/10 09:58 AM Re: need some help. [Re: ChrisFol]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I have never used a bivvy before. But I remember reading on this forum a while back that there can be issues with water vapor collecting.

I too am buying a hammock. My buddy has an ENO with a screen and tarp tent and its pretty nice. But again my experience is limited with hammocks, unless its lounging in the backyard smile. My plan is to search the hammock forums cause there is so much information on it.

#143980 - 12/26/10 02:15 PM Re: need some help. [Re: justme]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Just as a reminder to those who are responding to justme, that "3-4 season" means different things to different forumites. In this case, he apparently lives in Wyoming, where the season called "summer" includes snow, hail, and frigid lashing winds on any day of the year.

I don't think a hammock could under any stretch be used in a Wyoming winter. You'd need a "5-season" hammock for that! grin

#143989 - 12/26/10 09:34 PM Re: need some help. [Re: Tango61]
justme Offline

Originally Posted By Tango61

Howdy Justme!
Did you try using the search engine for 'tent' in the subject?
I recall several threads within the last 6 months here that had good discussions about the various tents. If this search engine doesn't find them you can try google and include the backpacking.net in the search string. For $300, there are lots to choose from and it is more about specific features that you are wanting.

As for bivies or hammocks, I'm a hammock guy.
The best place to find info on hammocks is over at hammockforums.net. Prepare to spend a lot of time reading.

A lot of it depends on where you plan on doing most of your hiking. If you're above treeline, you'll obviously need a bivy.

I agree searching the forums you can find alot of info. Just seems like most of it doesnt pertain to the same question. I will search if i cant find a good answer from my post. thanks for the suggestion

#143990 - 12/26/10 09:38 PM Re: need some help. [Re: Samoset]
justme Offline

Originally Posted By Samoset
Mountain hardwear lightpath 2
^ Enough said ^^

thanks for the link. is this tent a side or front entry?

#143992 - 12/26/10 09:52 PM Re: need some help. [Re: BrianLe]
justme Offline

Originally Posted By BrianLe
It's just a bit over $300, but for a 3 - 4 season tent you could consider the tarptent Scarp 2.

The problem with getting pro's and con's about bivy vs. hammock is that different people will come to different conclusions. Ultimately the only way to know what you like is to try stuff out. Bivy is simpler, but has some unique downsides (and upsides of course). Hammock camping is a longer and steeper learning curve.

Ideal would be if you could borrow or rent gear to try it out, or at least the bivy option. Are you thinking straight bivy, or bivy with some sort of tarp? Perhaps a poncho tarp? If the latter then you're also starting to involve your clothing choices ... this stuff isn't easy if you're really trying to optimize weight.

I really like that scarp. how is it for two large people say around 6'1" and gear inside? I dont really like leaving my gear outside and to me it doesnt really look like their is a vestible. How well will theese tents hold up to the wear and tare?

#143993 - 12/26/10 10:03 PM Re: need some help. [Re: ChrisFol]
justme Offline

Originally Posted By ChrisFol
I always find it difficult to suggest a full 4-season season setup that is also adequate for 3-season use.

My expertise lies with tarps and not tents; so if you are not interested then I apologize now for the post. My 3-season shelter as been the SpinnTwinn-- a great two person shelter and a palace for one in the 3-season Colorado Rockies. It weighs in at 9.8oz including line.

My winter tarp is an MLD Duo-mid, comes in at around 13oz.

Both cost less than your $300 price range and weigh under a pound.

I am not a hammock camper, but I do own a bivy-- a TiGoat which is 6.8oz.

So my three season shelter (Tarp, bivy, stakes) = 19.6oz. Total cost is about $300.

I really like the idea of just a lightweight tarp but im not a fan or crawlies or snakes. I kind of want somewhat of a shelter to kee[ stuff out. I really like the bivy idea for myself plus a tarp. the tent is going to be used for two people and we could split the gear between us.

#143997 - 12/26/10 10:22 PM Re: need some help. [Re: justme]
justme Offline

is their any bivys that have a support pole to keep the fabric off of your face? I dont really like that by looking at them

#144002 - 12/27/10 12:45 AM Re: need some help. [Re: justme]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By justme
is their any bivys that have a support pole to keep the fabric off of your face? I dont really like that by looking at them

There really are a lot of options.

I use a Tigoat bivy with the net hood and the netting as a tie off loop. So you simply set up your tarp and tie a piece of line from the netting hoop to the tarp pole and there you go-- a fully bug-proof, waterproof, lightweight shelter.

In fact most bivies are like this since a bug proof net that lies on your skin isn't much use.

#144005 - 12/27/10 01:10 AM Re: need some help. [Re: justme]
lori Offline

I really like the idea of just a lightweight tarp but im not a fan or crawlies or snakes. I kind of want somewhat of a shelter to kee[ stuff out. I really like the bivy idea for myself plus a tarp. the tent is going to be used for two people and we could split the gear between us.

Look at the Six Moon Designs Meteor Bivy - you can download the pattern and make it, or order one. Also check out bugnet shelters to pair up with a tarp - there are one and two person models around. Seen those at REI for not very much money.

It's interesting how I used to be so very concerned about creepy crawlies and have found that it isn't so much of a problem as I used to think. I have yet to wake to find things crawling on me for all the nights I've spent under a tarp without a net. Not parking myself next to rotting logs or in foliage really cuts down on the bugs. There are some locations where you can't get out of grass - that's where I take a full tent or hammock setup. On duff or rock in late summer I don't worry about it.

For the worst part of mosquito season I use a fully netted/zippered hammock - for someone who dislikes things crawling on them, a hammock with net is ideal - treat the straps with permethrin and nothing will crawl down the suspension, treat the bottom and nothing will land on the hammock fabric.

Never had a snake anywhere near me while sleeping. Never heard of anyone having that problem, either. I had a mouse under my tarptent once - on Angel Island, where it's not even what you could call backcountry camping and the animals actively seek people in search of scraps.

Tarptents for two people can be pretty light and roomy, and excellent bug protection. I believe you can download a pattern for the original two person tarptent as well.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#144006 - 12/27/10 01:14 AM Re: need some help. [Re: aimless]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By aimless
Just as a reminder to those who are responding to justme, that "3-4 season" means different things to different forumites. In this case, he apparently lives in Wyoming, where the season called "summer" includes snow, hail, and frigid lashing winds on any day of the year.

I don't think a hammock could under any stretch be used in a Wyoming winter. You'd need a "5-season" hammock for that! grin

You haven't seen some of the winter hammock setups, or you would know there are plenty of deep freeze hammockers pulling pulks out with hammock huts, wood stoves, and multiple down top and underquilts to conquer the Great White North. There's a Canadian (nick)named Turk on youtube that excels at Extreme Hammocking. Just takes an appropriate amount of determination and gear....

My 3 season camping also includes some amount of subfreezing temps and weather... I realize that California has a certain reputation for mild weather, but "milder than other locations" does not mean we're all palm trees and sunshine. At 10,000 feet all bets are off. (I've hammocked at 10k, in snow and wind.)

#144013 - 12/27/10 05:30 AM Re: need some help. [Re: lori]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I took down my tent once on Santa Rosa Island and found three dead deer mice, crushed as I flailed about in my sleep. This was during a mousy population peak - they were everywhere.

I've never had a problem with snakes, even in Arizona desert camping, with or without a tent.

#144016 - 12/27/10 10:36 AM Re: need some help. [Re: aimless]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey

He/she had mentioned wanting a bivvy or a hammock for spring fall and summer - so that reply was for that part of her message. You most certainly can hammock in the winter. Its an amazing set up. Just watched a bunch of videos on it actually by Shug over at hammockforums.net whose from Minnesota. Had a set up for -2F. crazy

Justme I have a Marmot Twilight 2P and I love that thing. Some people on here would consider it a bit on the heavy side at 5 lbs 4oz. But I love the small pack size and its certainly lighter than the first tent I ever owned lol. I got lucky and found one for a $180 on Zappos.com believe it or not, but they normally run around $240. There is plenty of room inside. The tent's roof pitch is sufficient enough so you can sit up comfortably when needed. Inside there is the perfect amount of room for two averaged sized humans. I wouldnt want to sleep in that tent with anyone else but my significant other or an extremely close friend, but it is still comfortable.

Two side doors each with its own vestibule so you and your spouse or friend can put their gear on their side and have there own entry/exit point. Also a neat little window thing inside so you can look out. There is also a ventilation "system" on the rain fly. It pops up and allows moisture to escape, a really great feature.

lori What kind of hammock do you own? I am just getting in to hammocking and researching the different brands and different set ups. I am thinking about a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro. Any thoughts?

#144018 - 12/27/10 11:09 AM Re: need some help. [Re: GDeadphans]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By GDeadphans

lori What kind of hammock do you own? I am just getting in to hammocking and researching the different brands and different set ups. I am thinking about a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro. Any thoughts?

That would be an inexpensive way to go... at about the same cost a Warbonnet Traveller would allow for a flatter lay (same hammock as the Blackbird without a bugnet) but you would need to purchase the bugnet separately. Or the Switchback, which lets you change directions (can put head on other end of the hammock and still have a nice diagonal lay) or roll up the bugnet. Skeeter Beeter does not have a ridgeline so you have to tie up the netting. If you're not a tall person the Skeeter Beater may work for you, but taller folks who want the nice flat lay on the diagonal look to the larger Hennessy models, the Warbonnet hammocks, or even a ENO double hammock.

I have a Blackbird. Very spoiled with it. I'm taking it snowshoeing at the end of January, expect I will be much warmer that way. I'll probably sleep like a rock in my cocoon of down. I have a 0 degree underquilt with a mylar liner.

#144019 - 12/27/10 11:28 AM Re: need some help. [Re: justme]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

The scarp 2 is really nice. side entry from each side, and a vestibule on each side.

I've spent some time in one as I bought one for one of my swiss buddies who occasionally meets me for hiking trips. I've slept in his scarp 2 on two different continents! (tasmania, and vancouver island)

Browse my pictures

#144020 - 12/27/10 11:33 AM Re: need some help. [Re: aimless]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I have hammocked comfortably down to a low of -18 Centigrade.

Having said that, doing so isn't exactly lightweight. I normally go to ground in those temperatures.

But back to the OP - my advice to you is simple. Get *REALISTIC* about how many times you will be out in the winter. Want my advice? rent first. Want my second bit of advice, if you're like most people, spend your 300 on a good lightweight 3 season tent, unless you are mountaineering. it will be lighter, and more comfortable than a true 4 season bombshelter. Now, when you are occasionally going out in 4 seasons, RENT a 4 season tent from rei or a local gear shop.

Me? I have more than one tent. but that way I'm not suffering by carrying a heavy, stuffy 4 season bombshelter that can take a snow load the 95% of the time I don't need it!
Browse my pictures

#144034 - 12/27/10 06:58 PM Re: need some help. [Re: phat]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
REI around here (great frozen north of Minnesota) doesn't even rent bomber mountaineering tents. If you rent a "4 season" tent from them what you'll get is a sturdy three season REI brand tent. Works for most winter camping, just don't try to use it above tree line in a mountain storm.

#144047 - 12/27/10 09:42 PM Re: need some help. [Re: ChrisFol]
justme Offline

thanks for the info

#144048 - 12/27/10 09:51 PM Re: need some help. [Re: lori]
justme Offline

Originally Posted By lori

Look at the Six Moon Designs Meteor Bivy - you can download the pattern and make it, or order one. Also check out bugnet shelters to pair up with a tarp - there are one and two person models around. Seen those at REI for not very much money.

It's interesting how I used to be so very concerned about creepy crawlies and have found that it isn't so much of a problem as I used to think. I have yet to wake to find things crawling on me for all the nights I've spent under a tarp without a net. Not parking myself next to rotting logs or in foliage really cuts down on the bugs. There are some locations where you can't get out of grass - that's where I take a full tent or hammock setup. On duff or rock in late summer I don't worry about it.

For the worst part of mosquito season I use a fully netted/zippered hammock - for someone who dislikes things crawling on them, a hammock with net is ideal - treat the straps with permethrin and nothing will crawl down the suspension, treat the bottom and nothing will land on the hammock fabric.

Never had a snake anywhere near me while sleeping. Never heard of anyone having that problem, either. I had a mouse under my tarptent once - on Angel Island, where it's not even what you could call backcountry camping and the animals actively seek people in search of scraps.

Tarptents for two people can be pretty light and roomy, and excellent bug protection. I believe you can download a pattern for the original two person tarptent as well.

I really like that six moons bivy. I think that and a light weight tarp would be great for solo camping. It seems here we have a lot of flies during the summer and they drive me nuts landing on me. Snakes is just my own fear since i hate them so much and you really never do run across them here in the mountains but i would Rather not deal with them anyways lol.

I really want to try a hammock but i just havent sprung for one and havent really looked at them that close.

#144049 - 12/27/10 09:54 PM Re: need some help. [Re: GDeadphans]
justme Offline

Originally Posted By GDeadphans

He/she had mentioned wanting a bivvy or a hammock for spring fall and summer - so that reply was for that part of her message. You most certainly can hammock in the winter. Its an amazing set up. Just watched a bunch of videos on it actually by Shug over at hammockforums.net whose from Minnesota. Had a set up for -2F. crazy

Justme I have a Marmot Twilight 2P and I love that thing. Some people on here would consider it a bit on the heavy side at 5 lbs 4oz. But I love the small pack size and its certainly lighter than the first tent I ever owned lol. I got lucky and found one for a $180 on Zappos.com believe it or not, but they normally run around $240. There is plenty of room inside. The tent's roof pitch is sufficient enough so you can sit up comfortably when needed. Inside there is the perfect amount of room for two averaged sized humans. I wouldnt want to sleep in that tent with anyone else but my significant other or an extremely close friend, but it is still comfortable.

Two side doors each with its own vestibule so you and your spouse or friend can put their gear on their side and have there own entry/exit point. Also a neat little window thing inside so you can look out. There is also a ventilation "system" on the rain fly. It pops up and allows moisture to escape, a really great feature.

Thanks for the suggestion on a tent and by the way im a dude lol

#144050 - 12/27/10 10:07 PM Re: need some help. [Re: phat]
justme Offline

Originally Posted By phat

I have hammocked comfortably down to a low of -18 Centigrade.

Having said that, doing so isn't exactly lightweight. I normally go to ground in those temperatures.

But back to the OP - my advice to you is simple. Get *REALISTIC* about how many times you will be out in the winter. Want my advice? rent first. Want my second bit of advice, if you're like most people, spend your 300 on a good lightweight 3 season tent, unless you are mountaineering. it will be lighter, and more comfortable than a true 4 season bombshelter. Now, when you are occasionally going out in 4 seasons, RENT a 4 season tent from rei or a local gear shop.

Me? I have more than one tent. but that way I'm not suffering by carrying a heavy, stuffy 4 season bombshelter that can take a snow load the 95% of the time I don't need it!

to me the scarp doesnt seem that heavy at 4lbs and it claims to be a 4 season shelter. I think if i had a tent that would work for a four season shelter i would be motivated to go camping during the winter since i have the right gear.

I agree on renting gear but their is no where to rent here. maybe your on to something i havent thought of.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum