Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143932 - 12/25/10 05:51 PM what one would you choose
justme Offline

Loc: wyoming,usa
looking at these two water purifiers. I normally just use polar pure but I want a filtration system. these are the two im looking at and wondering out of these two which one would you choose?

http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-prod...adyn-vario-usa/

or this one

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-trea...ofilter/product

#143938 - 12/25/10 06:27 PM Re: what one would you choose [Re: justme]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
The MSR Miniworks. I've used both, but I prefer the comparative simplicity and the ability to easily field-clean the Miniworks. I've had no problems in a fair amount of use; I never had any problems with the Vario, but never used it a lot. They work a lot the same; I'd just choose the Miniworks, personally. (I do, however, have a fairly strong bias toward MSR gear; that may also be part of the reason. That bias is based on a lot of problem-free use of MSR gear in general.)

Edited by Glenn (12/25/10 06:31 PM)

#143948 - 12/25/10 07:44 PM Re: what one would you choose [Re: Glenn]
justme Offline

Loc: wyoming,usa
Originally Posted By Glenn
The MSR Miniworks. I've used both, but I prefer the comparative simplicity and the ability to easily field-clean the Miniworks. I've had no problems in a fair amount of use; I never had any problems with the Vario, but never used it a lot. They work a lot the same; I'd just choose the Miniworks, personally. (I do, however, have a fairly strong bias toward MSR gear; that may also be part of the reason. That bias is based on a lot of problem-free use of MSR gear in general.)

thanks glenn. also had someone else suggest the msr when comparing the two.

#143961 - 12/26/10 01:44 AM Re: what one would you choose [Re: Glenn]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Originally Posted By Glenn

I have to second the miniworks one sweet bomber peice of gear smile

#144021 - 12/27/10 11:40 AM Re: what one would you choose [Re: justme]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By justme
looking at these two water purifiers. I normally just use polar pure but I want a filtration system. these are the two im looking at and wondering out of these two which one would you choose?

http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-prod...adyn-vario-usa/

or this one

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-trea...ofilter/product

Neither. If I were buying a filter today it would probably be a katydyn hiker pro - it will save you 150 grams of weight over either of those two.

I own an MSR miniworks. I never take it anywhere, it's heavy, and will clog up without babying.

There are filters lighter than the katydyn (the new hyperflow and the like made by msr) but they have filter elements that are damaged by freezing, and I can't have that where I typically hike.

I generally do not filter - I use chlorine dioxide treatement instead (aquamira) - lighter and faster.

Browse my pictures

#144035 - 12/27/10 07:05 PM Re: what one would you choose [Re: phat]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
How is aquamira faster? You have to wait 15 minutes to 4 hours depending on what you are trying to kill.

For groups I use a Hiker Pro and can fill a 3 liter bladder in just a few minutes then immediately drink. For solo, I use a sawyer filter in a bottle. Dip the bottle, insert filter and drink.

#144056 - 12/27/10 10:59 PM Re: what one would you choose [Re: thecook]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Pretty easy to make a gravity filter. Mine is 5.5 oz. Using chemicals, I'd have to carry an extra quart of water for several hours while the pills work. With the filter (and, obviously frequent water sources!), I have to carry only a pint of water at a time. In other words, using the filter I have 2 lbs. less water to carry. Assuming the worst scenario of a soggy wet filter at about 8 oz., I'm still saving 1.5 lbs. by using the filter! With a gravity filter, I don't have to put my back out standing over the water source pumping--just scoop up the water and let it drip!

Note that aquamira liquid is not strong enough to kill protozoa cysts (giardia and crypto)--you need a higher concentration and longer treatment time than the label states (note that the label mentions only bacteria and viruses). If you haven't gotten sick when using it, either your water sources are pristine or you've developed an immunity to giardia.

#144059 - 12/27/10 11:08 PM Re: what one would you choose [Re: OregonMouse]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I remember a while back seeing a water bottle with a integrated filter in the cap. Just fill it up and go!

Too bad I cant remember the name of it - nor find it on the internet with a quick search.

Anyone know what I am talking about/maybe have tried it?

#144062 - 12/27/10 11:16 PM Re: what one would you choose [Re: GDeadphans]
KWeb Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Originally Posted By GDeadphans
Anyone know what I am talking about/maybe have tried it?

These?
http://www.filtersfast.com/Katadyn-ExStr...xstream%20Olive

I've used it. Works well.

#144065 - 12/28/10 02:49 AM Re: what one would you choose [Re: OregonMouse]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"Note that aquamira liquid is not strong enough to kill protozoa cysts (giardia and crypto)--you need a higher concentration and longer treatment time than the label states ..."

"Not strong enough" at default treatment time, yes, but it's another one of those experience things --- because as you go on to say, it is strong enough with sufficient treatment time. Personally, I treat my water overnight when I can, and assess the water source when I cannot; if it's suspect, then indeed increase treatment time and possibly dosage.

For my trip this coming year I expect to run into a few sketchy water sources, and so plan to carry a very light inline filter to augment my default aqua mira liquid treatment (filter then chemically treat). The right approach varies, I think, based on anticipated conditions.

Ditto the trade-off in weight of using a filter vs. chemicals, it depends very much on how close or spaced out your water sources are. Sounds like where you are, water sources are pretty close together. A number of other factors also adjust the calculation, including whether you tend to drink more or less than the average, how hot and dry the ambient conditions (which impact how much you drink), and how difficult the terrain/slope is (ditto). My point here is that the weight-optimal solution isn't a one-size-fits-all kind of thing.

FWIW, you might consider weighing your water filter when put away wet --- 5.5 oz dry is fine when first starting your trip, but after that it will weigh a bit more (obviously not the dominant factor however ...).

#144092 - 12/28/10 04:35 PM Re: what one would you choose [Re: BrianLe]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Yup that is the water bottle. Looking at it again on the net makes me wanna get one again xP

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum