Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144052 - 12/27/10 10:16 PM Re: need some help. [Re: justme]
justme Offline

Loc: wyoming,usa
I have another question on the scarp. if you were going to buy would you get the mesh interior or solid wall interior? from what I understand only the solid wall is suitable for 4 season camping and only the mesh interior is good for 3 season. Am I reading something wrong?

Edited by justme (12/27/10 10:18 PM)

#144129 - 12/29/10 08:26 PM Re: need some help. [Re: justme]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Just
In general - screen = no blowing snow, in other words, not 4 season.
4 season tents do not have screen.

Lori et all, though Shug and phat do hammock at extremely low temps, their setups are heavy and cumbersome and not for use in exposed areas. Wyoming may be too exposed everywhere to camp in winter. I have never seen Shug camping at -30 in strong winds. Though you may personally think hammocks are best for everything because some people push the limits does not mean that hammocks are a good idea where winds would carrry away your tarp.

Jim
Jim

#144136 - 12/29/10 11:05 PM Re: need some help. [Re: Jimshaw]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Though you may personally think hammocks are best for everything because some people push the limits does not mean that hammocks are a good idea where winds would carrry away your tarp.

Jim

I'd really appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. I've never told anyone hammocks are the best. I have at least four different shelters myself, some with very specific purposes. Note that I do not suggest that anyone try winter hammocking - I simply pointed out that it's possible and gave examples.

As someone who's had the hammock out in wind, I also get to say, they work as well as tents do, if set up properly - site selection is always key. Your tarp is about as likely to blow away as your tent fly. Frankly, my tarp flapped around a whole lot less than my friend's tent did, in the same 40-50 mph wind. And only came loose when a careless person tripped on a corner of it. Once refastened it remained steadfast and stable all night and I slept like a baby with nary a sway of the hammock.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#144139 - 12/30/10 12:08 AM Re: need some help. [Re: justme]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By justme
I have another question on the scarp. if you were going to buy would you get the mesh interior or solid wall interior? from what I understand only the solid wall is suitable for 4 season camping and only the mesh interior is good for 3 season. Am I reading something wrong?

No you are not. in general, if you were planning on taking the tent out where there would be blowing snow and high wind, you would not like the all mesh interior - you'd probably get a bunch of spinndrift through it. OTOH, in hot weather the solid walls are awful stuffy. - so pretty much other than that nasty winter case, the mesh walls will vent better and be superior in most cases.

Again, decide realisticly when you want to go and when you are likely to go.

If you're going to be on a high mountain, exposed, in snow load, you will need something that is four season capable.

Lots of people buy 4 season tents because "they might go out in winter" - and spend nothing but time in them spring->fall where they would be better served by something lighter and more well ventilated.
Browse my pictures

#144277 - 01/03/11 12:09 PM Re: need some help. [Re: lori]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Originally Posted By lori
Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Though you may personally think hammocks are best for everything because some people push the limits does not mean that hammocks are a good idea where winds would carrry away your tarp.

Jim

I'd really appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. I've never told anyone hammocks are the best. I have at least four different shelters myself, some with very specific purposes. Note that I do not suggest that anyone try winter hammocking - I simply pointed out that it's possible and gave examples.

As someone who's had the hammock out in wind, I also get to say, they work as well as tents do, if set up properly - site selection is always key. Your tarp is about as likely to blow away as your tent fly. Frankly, my tarp flapped around a whole lot less than my friend's tent did, in the same 40-50 mph wind. And only came loose when a careless person tripped on a corner of it. Once refastened it remained steadfast and stable all night and I slept like a baby with nary a sway of the hammock.

Yea I would appreciate no word stuffing in the mouth also. I never said that either, I just said it can be done in the winter. Me personally, I only want to use my hammock in nice weather. Late Spring early Fall in Maine. If you read my past posts on this thread I never said you must do it and its a great idea to hang in snowy conditions or whatever else you can think of. I simply defended the idea that it can be done, which is a 100% true. Individual tolerance may vary.

I do agree though that those set ups seem way too bulky. For winter camping, me personally, I would stick with a tent and pad. For now at least, who knows I am an adventurous type and may try winter hanging in the future when I have the money to afford the under quilts and bomber hats etc. etc.

Lori - Thanks for the advice! I am still learning the in's and out's and what to look for in a quality hammock. So far though the price of the entry level skeeter beeter pro seems really nice. Found one on amazon.com for 52 bucks. But, still learning, and my mind changes often lol. Thanks again.

#144292 - 01/03/11 04:30 PM Re: need some help. [Re: phat]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Wyoming gets some pretty strong winds in the summer, and winter. To the OP, do you know if you need a tent to withstand strong wind loads (ie 40-50 mph)? This would really down select your tent choices. My brother lived in Rock Springs for a few years. It was crazy cold in the winter and high winds all year everywhere. My sister lives in Jackson Hole right now. With mountains and trees come less wind. Of course, I only visited there for a few days in the winter. And, I am sure there is a reason they call it the Wind River Range.

#144376 - 01/04/11 02:25 PM Re: need some help. [Re: GDeadphans]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
The skeeter beater is a great first hammock. I have one and use it. I also have a DYI that I have experimented with. Now I'm looking at a blackbird for a thru of the SHT because of the convenience. The skeeter beater must be hung and then two netting ropes hung also and I'd rather not deal with all of that after a long milage days.

#144402 - 01/04/11 06:17 PM Re: need some help. [Re: lori]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I agree with Lori here. I have camped in a hamock in the winter and if you have the right gear, you can stay as warm in a hammock as you can a tent. I am sure that Lori uses a sleeping pad and with that down blanket that she is talking about, she could probably stay pretty warm in most any temps. I know that I have stayed in mine several nights down around zero and I use stuff very similar to what Lori uses and have been on the AT in temps at nigt near zero and stayed pretty warm the entire nine days and that was in February too !!!!! So hang in here Lori and keep carrying the hammock....sabre11004...

#144415 - 01/04/11 07:30 PM Re: need some help. [Re: thecook]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I am a bit concerned with the skeeter beeter pro because there is no ridge line....0.0 I was wondering if there was a way to cut a hole in the screen and reinforcing the hole to allow the ridgeline out, but no bugs in...

#144441 - 01/05/11 12:33 AM Re: need some help. [Re: GDeadphans]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

You can glue two pieces of fabric to the netting where you need the hole (one on each side) and then use a soldering iron or woodburning tool to melt a small hole in the patch to pass the ridgeline through.

You can also do this with fabric tape.

#145619 - 01/31/11 01:03 AM Re: need some help. [Re: Samoset]
Sorthum Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey, California
Originally Posted By Samoset
Mountain hardwear lightpath 2
^ Enough said ^^

Just grabbed it for a hundred bucks on rei.com closeout. Thanks for the recommendation!

#146146 - 02/09/11 12:46 PM Re: need some help. [Re: justme]
Backtop Offline

Ther is great collection of 3 and 4 season tent. You can find them Tents here.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum