Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143836 - 12/23/10 11:21 AM KIFARU (ex-Mountainsmith) new UL line of backpacks
Zeno Offline

I believe this is new. Please correct me if I'm mistaken. I've been to the site many times and never noticed the Ultralights tab.

http://www.kifaru.net/KU.html

I don't work for them. I've never carried a Kifaru pack (never cared for how the Mountainsmiths fit me). Price notwithstanding. Just thought it was interesting* that this company was offering ultralight packs. Another option for us is all.

*interesting is not code for anything.

Look at the KU3700. I like the beefy belt. Obviously with the hunter in mind when mentioning 100LB loads are possible.

#143839 - 12/23/10 12:56 PM Re: KIFARU (ex-Mountainsmith) new UL line of backpacks [Re: Zeno]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Interesting; new to me too. Seems to be in the general weight range of a ULA pack (for example).

One way that they might be bringing the weight down, however, is to offer various add-on pockets and pouches separately (cost difference too of course), so one would want to think in terms of total cost and weight of the desired end product. The ULA that I use has built-in belt pouches and side & back mesh, none of which these KIFARU models include.

Still, a good sign to see more options, thanks for pointing this out.

#143849 - 12/23/10 07:46 PM Re: KIFARU (ex-Mountainsmith) new UL line of backpacks [Re: BrianLe]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
They look like nice packs. Though I have an extremely hard time justifying spending 518 bucks on a pack.

The next pack I buy I think I want something like the Mountain Laurel Design Exodus 3600. Only 15oz, and 185 bucks. Not too shabby.

Edited by GDeadphans (12/23/10 07:48 PM)

#143857 - 12/23/10 11:48 PM Re: KIFARU (ex-Mountainsmith) new UL line of backpacks [Re: GDeadphans]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
$518 - wow!

Kind of reminds me of the kid running a lemonade stand who priced lemonade at $100 a glass. Someone told him he wouldn't sell many glasses of lemonade at that price. He replied, "I only have to sell one."

#143864 - 12/24/10 01:57 AM Re: KIFARU (ex-Mountainsmith) new UL line of backpacks [Re: Zeno]
Zeno Offline

Mystery Ranch and Kifaru make a lot of money as government contractors. You can overprice your goods when selling to the Pentagon. Private sales are likely to be bonus sales. Also, both are made entirely in the USA and are strongly tied to local economies. Whether that is of value to anyone is another matter, but it does play into the high prices.

Kifaru is by-order, so no retail or distributors. Buy direct. Mystery Ranch might be the same. Considering that, you'd think they could be more competitive in the overall pack market, but maybe they don't need to be since they cater to government contracts and hunters who have never been known to be spendthrifts.

Again, I do not work for either company, and I do not own a pack from either company. I find this area of the pack market to be a bit strange and definitely intriguing.

I've never had a problem spending money on any kind of gear, whether it be hiking, bicycling, or audio equipment. They're high priorities in my life, so value comes from many angles. $600 on a backpack? Sure. $15K on a car? Not a chance.

#143867 - 12/24/10 07:55 AM Re: KIFARU (ex-Mountainsmith) new UL line of backpacks [Re: Zeno]
prussicnot Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
What is the connection to Mountainsmith?

#143871 - 12/24/10 09:44 AM Re: KIFARU (ex-Mountainsmith) new UL line of backpacks [Re: prussicnot]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Patrick Smith was the founder of MountainSmith. He sold the business and founded Kifaru.

Kifaru is about a mile from my office. It is a good place to kill some time at lunch. They do have samples in their reception area, but not a showroom. The facility is mostly warehouse, but they also have a production room with about six sewing machines.

Nice people with high quality gear, but the niches they service are the military and hunters. When you carry a $3,000 rifle a $500 pack seems reasonable. Hunting is an expensive sport.

#143874 - 12/24/10 10:59 AM Re: KIFARU (ex-Mountainsmith) new UL line of backpacks [Re: ringtail]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By ringtail

Nice people with high quality gear, but the niches they service are the military and hunters. When you carry a $3,000 rifle a $500 pack seems reasonable. Hunting is an expensive sport.

It's only expensive if you make it so.

and the critters don't know the difference between a $3000 rifle and a $400 one - at least if you can shoot. Most people I see with a $3000 rifle should have bought the $400 rifle and spent some money on ammunition to practice with wink

Browse my pictures

#143876 - 12/24/10 11:40 AM Re: KIFARU (ex-Mountainsmith) new UL line of backpacks [Re: phat]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Just trying to rationalize my Excessive Gear Acquistion Disorder (EGAD). crazy crazy

#143877 - 12/24/10 12:32 PM Re: KIFARU (ex-Mountainsmith) new UL line of backpacks [Re: ringtail]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By ringtail
Just trying to rationalize my Excessive Gear Acquistion Disorder (EGAD). crazy crazy

Just do what I do.. Stop trying to rationalize it and just accept it as is and enjoy it..
Browse my pictures

#143887 - 12/24/10 04:48 PM Re: KIFARU (ex-Mountainsmith) new UL line of backpacks [Re: Zeno]
sjohnny Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Originally Posted By Zeno
Mystery Ranch and Kifaru make a lot of money as government contractors. You can overprice your goods when selling to the Pentagon. Private sales are likely to be bonus sales.

Also, there are a large number of people who will pay almost any price for gear that is labeled as "Tactical" or "Operator Grade". Kifaru has the added bonus for people impressed by that stuff as actually being used by "real life operators" and being of high quality. Having the "Tactical" label and the real credentials to back it up means big money.

#143934 - 12/25/10 06:07 PM Re: KIFARU (ex-Mountainsmith) new UL line of backpacks [Re: phat]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By phat
Most people I see with a $3000 rifle should have bought the $400 rifle and spent some money on ammunition to practice with wink

LOL, ain't that the truth... seen it too often.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum