Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131946 - 04/12/10 05:12 PM Walking 5,450 Miles Across The USA!
mikewalks Offline

I am planing a walk across America through the southern states from New York City to Astoria Oregon. It will be about 5,450 miles and should take a little over a year. I will be releasing weekly videos in episode format throughout the entire walk. After the walk I will edit together a documentary from all the footage.

The hike starts March 1st, 2011!

I have a website for the walk but I dont know the rules for link dropping here so if you want the link just ask for it.

Edited by mikewalks (04/12/10 05:14 PM)

#131980 - 04/12/10 11:20 PM Re: Walking 5,450 Miles Across The USA! [Re: mikewalks]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Are you going to be in the hot humid south in summer? I am not fond of humid heat (we in the west are really wimps about humid heat). I think I would have headed north! Good Luck! Have a great time.

#131986 - 04/13/10 01:00 AM Re: Walking 5,450 Miles Across The USA! [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Had you thought about the American Discovery Trail instead?

#132009 - 04/13/10 01:52 PM Re: Walking 5,450 Miles Across The USA! [Re: mikewalks]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I can't say that I would relish walking that far on roads, regardless of the weather. But, as we all know from watching Forrest Gump, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. I won't be following your progress, but good luck and I hope you get out of it what you hope to get out of it.

#132985 - 04/30/10 06:54 AM Re: Walking 5,450 Miles Across The USA! [Re: aimless]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
i dont want this to be taken the wrong way but the purpose of walking from one destination to another is kind of lost on me. People do these walks to find something in themselves.... shouldnt they just do them to the point where they've found what theyre looking for?

#133010 - 04/30/10 01:45 PM Re: Walking 5,450 Miles Across The USA! [Re: Boomer]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Having a destination as a goal makes it easier to explain to others (and oftentimes to oneself) what you are doing. It helps with planning, too. But, I think you are right about the inner goal being the important one, and it can be achieved without reference to the outer goal.

#142492 - 11/29/10 11:34 AM Re: Walking 5,450 Miles Across The USA! [Re: mikewalks]
Chris_R_ Offline

Loc: USA Northeast
That's awesome! Are you doing it for a cause? Maybe you'll get on CNN or something like that.

#143542 - 12/18/10 03:25 PM Re: Walking 5,450 Miles Across The USA! [Re: Chris_R_]
PackMan Offline

8 just started the planning phase of a very similar trip for myself. My end point is Berkley CA however on paper at least. I don't plan on keeping any sort of real schedule so whatever happens happens.

I've had a very difficult time finding any gear reviews for gear going on very very very long trips like this. So I will certainly be following your progress. If you could include some sort of gear list/review that would be awesome. youguysarestupid doesn't have any sort of list and imjustwalking used a push cart which is cheating IMHO.

I'm really interested in tent durability, I'm thinking of getting a Kelty Gunnison 2.1.

So have fun on

#143572 - 12/18/10 09:37 PM Re: Walking 5,450 Miles Across The USA! [Re: PackMan]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"I've had a very difficult time finding any gear reviews for gear going on very very very long trips like this."

Some more conventional long distance hikers have used their gear on multiple trips and so can probably give a good idea about gear durability, but after two such myself my sense is that for the most part durability is less of an issue than you might think. Stuff will happen to gear, but more typically not durability type of "failures", something else has happened along the way to tear up or otherwise damage/compromise gear.

For example, my tarptent contrail was carried on most of two thru-hikes, and is still doing fine, and it's not something selected for durability.

My Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus packs did indeed seem to me to be good for no more than about one standard thru-hike each, i.e., 2000 - 3000 miles, whereas my hiking partner for much of the AT this year replaced his ULA Catalyst (with a ULA Circuit) after he had 5000 miles on the Catalyst, and it was still entirely functional when he replaced it. Not primarily designed as a super "durable" pack, I think that the ULAs are nevertheless noticeably more durable than the more extreme ultralight options.

Recognize also that you might be swapping out some of your gear along the way, so you won't necessarily be carrying every item for all of any given many-thousand mile trip.

#143586 - 12/19/10 02:10 AM Re: Walking 5,450 Miles Across The USA! [Re: BrianLe]
PackMan Offline

Those are some awesome points Brian, much appreciated. It most certainly puts a whole new perspective on shopping out gear.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum