Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109728 - 01/20/09 09:15 PM Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent
NightForce Offline

Loc: MD, USA
Okay, I've been searching again and found a lot of stories but I haven't found many discussions about camp site lighting. I have many high power flashlights (mods from some CPF days) but I'm looking for a good camp lantern. I used to own a dual mantle coleman many years ago and was looking at the newer versions and see some pretty nice butane models, liquid fuel models and more temping, the Primus canister model. Something like 80W on max with some very nice run times. With further research, I see some awesome variable output compact fluorescent, but battery weight turns me off to them.

Anybody have some insight and/or experience to share...

Thanks!

#109733 - 01/20/09 11:39 PM Re: Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent [Re: NightForce]
grandtheory Offline

Loc: Indiana
Check out the Fenix L2D. Excellent flashlight with a bright, clean light and a great lantern tip. This is not your father's flashlight. And best of all, no need to carry extra gas.

Edited by grandtheory (01/21/09 04:54 PM)

#109734 - 01/21/09 01:07 AM Re: Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent [Re: NightForce]
BpackerDon Offline

Loc: Northern Calif
Are you looking for a lantern for car camping where size/weight don't matter, or for a backpacking lantern where lighter is better? I have a Primus single mantle isobutane lantern, it is very nice except that it weighs about 8 ounces + the weight of the fuel container.

#109737 - 01/21/09 08:16 AM Re: Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent [Re: BpackerDon]
NightForce Offline

I'm looking for a backpack lantern and I don't mind a little extra weight. I figure if it works backpacking it should work for car camping.

I'd like to find a place to get 8oz canister fuel but it seems really hard to find a place around there that carries it.

#109743 - 01/21/09 09:29 AM Re: Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent [Re: NightForce]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
"and I don't mind a little extra weight"
Famous last words laugh laugh laugh
Keep in mind that this is a LIGHT weight forum (light being not heavy as opposed to not dark wink ), so answers are going to reflect that. You need to answer a few questions first.
WHY do you NEED a lantern?
Do you want to throw a lot of light everywhere?
What tasks do you need all that light for?
Why isn't a head lamp or flashlight enough?

Personally, I don't need a lantern. And if I was to bring one, it would be a candle lantern. My head lamp is VERY adequate for anything I want to do. Combine that with a small flashlight and/or campfire, and all my lighting needs are met. I don't need to sit around after dark in the light. Especially something that attracts insects. I go backpacking to come closer to nature, and a lantern would only place me farther away. I love it when my eyes adjust for the darkness, and I can see without a light. I have done many hikes in total darkness, and loved it. I probably should restate "total darkness" as moonlight. Full moons are amazingly bright. Full moons on snow are even brighter. When I was a boy scout, we would always play "Capture the Flag" for hours in the dark, no flashlights. I would say that on average, I use my flashlight/headlight for about 20 minutes each day on a trip. But, this is just me. Maybe you are different. I will let you carry a heavy lantern. crazy Now, as for batteries vs fuel, I would think that a lantern with batteries is lighter than a lantern with fuel and fuel bottle. Especially since the lanterns that use fuel have to be heavier just to be able to use the fuel. But, I haven't done the calcs so I could be wrong.

Edited by finallyME (01/21/09 09:32 AM)

#109745 - 01/21/09 09:43 AM Re: Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent [Re: grandtheory]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“Check out the Felix L2D. Excellent flashlight with a bright, clean light and a great lantern tip.”

Amen. Even the Fenix L1D is more than adequate for backpacking. It stands a little easier on its end since it’s shorter. The lantern tip is a neat invention. I got one for Christmas. The battery life on the L1D is better than actual battery lanterns (for runtime vs lumens vs weight).

Another trick is stick the L1D in a cheap white styrofoam cup. That makes enough lantern light for 8 scouts to play cards by w/o getting blinded.

-Barry

Edited by BarryP (01/21/09 09:44 AM)

#109750 - 01/21/09 11:16 AM Re: Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent [Re: BarryP]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I think you'll find most of us shy away from what you might call a lantern for backpacking. as mentioned, they're ususally heavy and excessive.

Not to mention that with LED technology a good led headlamp can be used instead with great battery life, or as mentioned, a good led flashlight with a "lantern head" so you can hang it for area light works fine. again, the modern ones have great battery life for the
weight of a couple of AA or AAA batteries.

The only time I take a traditional lantern
is car camping.

Most of the time when backpacking, I personally take only a decent LED headlamp with a long battery life. gives me lots of light to work, and enough to read by without carrying a lot of weight. before the days of led headlamps and lights I used to take a candle lantern to read by, because headlamps didn't have the battery life - now I don't.

Buy a traditional lantern for car camping. leave it at home when backpacking.
Browse my pictures

#109792 - 01/21/09 06:53 PM Re: Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent [Re: phat]
NightForce Offline

Thanks for the replies.

I actually ordered a P3D after checking them out. I'll modify it with an idea I've been throwing around in my head for a while for a nice campsite/tent light.

Thanks everyone.

Smaller and about the same cost as a any type of 'lantern' out there.

#109794 - 01/21/09 07:10 PM Re: Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent [Re: NightForce]
Larrold Offline

Loc: Va
Where are you planning on going?

#109806 - 01/21/09 09:20 PM Re: Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent [Re: NightForce]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Nightforce

I use the Coleman x system, so I have an Xcursion butane/propane lantern that has its own internal fuel bottle that is charged from a larger X fuel bottle. Besides the fact that any traditional lantern mantle may shatter with impact even if covered, its very rugged. Spare mantles are a must even though plastic covers slide up over the glass "bowl". I believe that its a 9 watt max output but I could be completely wrong. It puts out white light brighter than several candles, maybe, crazy, but it almost feels cool above it. I have used it in an igloo and it made little difference in warmth, but the light was nice. After seeing what a small controlled flame it is, I am not frightened of carbon monoxide from it. It weighs 13.75 oz full of fuel.

Long ago my wife and I had a 6AA cell fluorescent mini-light with a 4" long fluorescent tube. It was cool. Use lithium batteries in cold weather and make it so it can hang from the top of your tent.

Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (01/21/09 09:21 PM)

#109893 - 01/22/09 07:32 PM Re: Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent [Re: Jimshaw]
NightForce Offline

Larrold,

First, planning on my parents farm. laugh I've got 3 y.o. and a 6 y.o. girls and a wife who like her luxuries, ie. central air and hot showers; so I thought I'd take it slow for a bit. Hoping to get to a real trail for some hiking and camping at least for an extended weekend. That's about all I think I'll be able to get out of the family.

JimShaw,

I looked at the Coleman refillable but ended up deciding on the Primus Alpine, wish I could find 220g+ isobutane bottles tho. I haven't purchased it yet, but I did purchase a Fenix P3D that I plan on making a scattering head for that will throw light in a diffuse pattern. If it's successful I probably won't get a lantern.

#109948 - 01/23/09 03:26 PM Re: Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent [Re: NightForce]
Larrold Offline

Loc: Va
I see. I was just curious because I'm still looking around for good places and I'm close to Maryland.

#111196 - 02/13/09 03:08 PM Re: Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent [Re: Larrold]
NightForce Offline

I thought I'd update everyone on this subject.

I bought a Primus Easylight with piezoelectric ignition and although I have yet to put it to the test of actual field use, I love the light so far. The only 'real' testing that I've done is setting it up and packing it away a lot, using it in the house to simulate emergency lighting and using it outside as deck lighting but so far I've been rather impressed. I have yet to knock off or damage the mantle though-out this testing phase. Light output is great and probably really does produce about the same light as an 80W light bulb at about 2500-2700°K.

#111209 - 02/13/09 08:11 PM Re: Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent [Re: NightForce]
scottmphoto Offline

Loc: Russellville, Arkansas, USA
We have several different kinds of lanterns for when we car camp or I'm out with the Scout troop. We have kerosene (I burn citronella oil in it), propane, florescent and many flashlights. I have recently started going towards LED lanterns for this type of camping.
When I'm out on the trail, I use my headlamp as it does just about everything I need it to do so far. It's a AAA LED Energizer one, by the way.
Eagle Scout - BSA /
Vigil Honor - Order of the Arrow

#141053 - 10/24/10 08:14 PM Re: Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent [Re: scottmphoto]
NightForce Offline

I thought I'd post an update to my own post from long ago. I had a chance to finally go camping with the family. Last year we did make it to my parents farm to camp and it went well. Two weeks ago we ended up getting to Martinak State Park here in MD for some car camping. Only one real glitch, I forgot the tent poles. eek mad Packed them away in the original box but somehow the glue on the side of the box gave up and the poles slid out. Never even checked I was so sure they are in there...won't make that mistake again.

The wife liked it and my two girls LOVED it, they keep asking when we can go again!

Anyway, got a chance to try out several headlamps, some flashlights, the scatter head I made for a flashlight and the Primus Easylight. The Primus lantern work great for area lighting while making dinner and cleaning up plus general illumination for the girls to play but I'd like to have had more light so I got a Coleman NorthStar dual fuel to take next time. The had lamps were great for me, walking out of the campsite to gather some firewood and general use around the site and the flashlights work great too. My scattering head worked excellent too for the tent so the wife and girls could read.

Overall, I'd say a headlamp (mine is a Zebralight H30) would be the way to go for light backpacking as I used it the most and was great for one person use. For car camping and overall site illumination a high output lantern can't be beat.

#142205 - 11/23/10 10:23 AM Re: Lanterns - Gas/Liquid or Compact Fluorescent [Re: NightForce]
MistaBrown Offline

I have the Primus lantern and it's a pretty cool gadget, but I find that despite having it with me, I've used my headlamp more. We had the lantern going for several hours off of one fuel can that never ran out, but for best use I think light that you can direct is best. Everything that I try to do with that lantern is more difficult because some of the light is directed into my eyes. After this last trip I think we will be leaving it at home from now on. Would probably be nice to take backpacking if you were with a larger group and would spend more time socializing without a campfire.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum