Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137453 - 08/09/10 04:41 PM Highest storable calorie to weight ratio?
humblefan Offline

What are some good foods for long term stocking for hikes that are high calorie foods without much weight in a ready to eat format?

So far I got peanut butter is .5 oz mylar squeezables, tuna in oil packets, marshmallows compacted in foodsaver bags, and dehydrated apple slices for snacks.

Anything else I might consider?

#137458 - 08/09/10 05:20 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: humblefan]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Lard - you can eat it with a spoon.

Now haven given you the most obvious answer to your question that probably isn't all that helpful - how about I ask you for a little more info...

*for what reason* - backpacking? why is "long term storage" important.. etc..

Browse my pictures

#137463 - 08/09/10 07:40 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: humblefan]
Roocketman Offline

Originally Posted By humblefan
What are some good foods for long term stocking for hikes that are high calorie foods without much weight in a ready to eat format?

So far I got peanut butter is .5 oz mylar squeezables, tuna in oil packets, marshmallows compacted in foodsaver bags, and dehydrated apple slices for snacks.

Anything else I might consider?

Do a google search for the file below:

Calories per oz 7500 plus foods.pdf

Copy the filename above and paste it into the google search. If you surround it by quotes, you may get a better result.

"Calories per oz 7500 plus foods.pdf"

This gives you a list, arranged by calories per ounce, for 7500 foods.

You can do with it what you want. You can also find the same files in a spreadsheet form, XLS instead of PDF.

It will help you to understand the data better if you remember that the macronutrient fat provides 9 Calories per gram or about 255 Calories per ounce.

Carbohydrates and Protein provide 4 Calories per gram or about 114 Calories per ounce.

Water provides 0 Calories, but it is essential for other reasons.

You might want to remember that meat is typically 3 parts water to one part protein with some fat thrown in and maybe some bone. Freeze dried meat has the water component almost completely removed.

#137467 - 08/09/10 09:33 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: Roocketman]
phat Offline

What I actually TAKE backpacking for high calorie stuff:

1) Hudson's Bay Bread - google the recepie. A 3 inch square of this slathered in peanut butter has as much voom in it as an entire commercial dehydrated backpacking meal.

2) Walker's shortbread cookies - oh god these are good, and so bad for you. I only take them winter hiking.

3) smoked almonds. almonds have tons of calories, and tons of fibre - all good.

4) sausage - I love landjaeger or dry salami or pepperoni sticks

6) Cheese - parmigiano reggio keeps forever, softer stuff less so.

7) Chocolate

So my snack loadout for 4 days out, doing 90 km in four days last weekend was:
6 landjaeger sausages
1 175 gram piece of emmentaller cheese
1 can black diamond smoked almonds (in a ziploc)
4 3 inch squares of hudson's bay bread
150 grams of peanut butter.
A small ziploc sandwitch bag full of dried fruit (mangos cherries, cranberries)

I ate oatmeal or egg and taters with coffee for breakfast,
and a dehydrated backpacking dinner for dinner.

I walked off the trail with a sausage and small piece of cheese which I ate in the car at the trailhead, and a few almonds and fruit, half an HBC bread, and some peanut butter.
In other words, I a had enough snacks to do an extra day if I needed to. - about as I had planned it. I didnt' feel hungry or wanting and made good time.
Browse my pictures

#137481 - 08/09/10 11:30 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: phat]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
An old standard is to add some olive oil to any cooked meal. Tastes darned good too.

#137497 - 08/10/10 04:21 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: BrianLe]
HalfPint Offline

An old standard? what do you mean? Sorry if this sounds ignorant....I am just curious.

#137503 - 08/10/10 07:24 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: HalfPint]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Old standard...
Well before Mountain House came about there was olive oil.
A few thousand years ago olive oil was in use on travel because of his many uses and not needing refrigeration/preservation.
Obviously it is food, but was also used as medicine ,fuel for lamps and as a cosmetic product (hair and skin)
look up " olive oil medical use"
BTW, Extra Virgin (cold pressed) is best
Franco

#137510 - 08/10/10 09:46 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: HalfPint]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
"An old standard? what do you mean? Sorry if this sounds ignorant....I am just curious."

Franco's reply is, as usual, a good one. I just meant, however, that it's a very common way to get to move closer to the goal of "calorically dense" food, i.e., as the thread says, a high ratio of calories per unit weight of food.

Among long distance trail (thru-) hikers, olive oil is perhaps the most widely used approach --- because it's not too hard to obtain (in the AT this year I even found 8-oz mini-bottles of olive oil in a couple of gas station mini-marts), it's calorically dense, and when your body is burning lots and lots of calories per day it's particularly tasty to add to any cooked meal. I typically add about an ounce (fluid or weight, take your pick) to any dinner meal, including a Mt. House (a 2-person Mt. House is a small to moderate sized dinner for a thru-hiker ...).

Okay, so an aside that I was expecting someone would trot out in this thread (seems to come up every time on this topic): chocolate and nuts are both very calorically dense, so at one point in a discussion of how to most efficiently fill a bear can, one wag suggested that pouring in a mix of macadamia nuts in melted chocolate to fill the can would be most efficient --- and that if a person got sick of eating that mix, they could trade for other food along the way. Assuming, of course, that you could manage to chip chunks out of the hardened mix!

#137513 - 08/11/10 12:40 AM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: BrianLe]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Great thread--and fun answers.

But I'm curious. What is the RDA for Voom?

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#137619 - 08/13/10 11:04 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: balzaccom]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By balzaccom
Great thread--and fun answers.

But I'm curious. What is the RDA for Voom?

Depends how much you're trying to voom..

"You're flagging - sit.. eat this.. drink stuff.. now voom" smile
Browse my pictures

#137632 - 08/14/10 12:30 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: phat]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Dried foods, either freeze-dried or dehydrated, contain very little fat. You want to remove as much fat as possible from home-dehydrated foods to keep them from becoming rancid, and they should be stored in the freezer.

A few squirts of olive or canola oil mixed into your dinners when you rehydrate them will help make up this fat deficiency. The monounsaturated fat in these oils is also much healthier for you than the saturated fats found in meat. I personally love high-quality olive oil (see Franco's post) and use it instead of butter at home.

My main source of fat out on the trail is nuts: almonds, hazelnuts (called filberts here in Oregon), walnuts, peanuts and (my favorite) cashews. In lieu of lunch, I nibble on nuts and dried fruits throughout the day. Again, this is healthy monounsaturated fat. I seem to be able to digest this kind of fat, while having digestive problems with the fats found in meat and dairy.

#137646 - 08/14/10 08:16 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: OregonMouse]
Franco Offline

My historical context type reply was a bit cheeky , nevertheless true...
I would add pine nuts and Brazil nuts the the Oregon Mouse list.
Maybe an easy way to remember is just to look at the most expensive types.
We have Macademia nuts here. More fat content than any other nut. (toxic to dogs)
Although peanut butter is cheap and works too.
For a cold weather boost before bed, a nice hot chocolate with a bit of olive oil added will warm you up for the night.
Franco

#137730 - 08/16/10 09:49 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: Franco]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
How about Neutella? I don't have any on hand but since it is mostly chocolate and hazelnuts I would think that it has a high calorie content.

#137768 - 08/17/10 09:29 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: thecook]
Franco Offline

Ferrero advertise Nutella as an healthy spread made seemingly with hazelnuts, skimmed milk and cocoa.
The actual ingredients change according to the market place, however there is a fix 13% hazelnut content, 7-8% cocoa powder and 5-7% of skimmed milk.
The main ingredient at around 50% is sugar.
Franco

#137769 - 08/17/10 09:35 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: Franco]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Candy like that will just give you a short term energy burst.

Chocolate is the best thing to have when you want to warm up quickly. Because it is a lot of sugar, your body burns it quickly and you create metabolic heat. I usually eat some on a cold night before I go to sleep. This way I feel a bit warmer when I get in to my bag. Caffeine, unless i have a few cups of coffee, doesn't effect me that much.

#137771 - 08/17/10 09:40 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: GDeadphans]
Franco Offline

Re: Nutella
BTW, don't take my word for it...
This is from Ferrero :
How much sugar and fat does nutella contain?
We recommend that nutella is eaten in a 15g portion, and per serving it contains 80kcals, 4.7g fat (2.6g monounsaturated, 0.6g polyunsaturated, 1.5g saturated) and 8.3g sugar. The Food Standards Agency ‘Eatwell plate’, states that both sugar and fat are acceptable in appropriate quantities as part of a balanced diet. The key is balance and moderation - some foods like fruit and vegetables in large amounts and others like nutella, other spreads such as jam and peanut butter, in small amounts.
(FAQ : how much sugar ? http://www.wakeuptonutella.com/faq.html)

#141901 - 11/15/10 10:01 AM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: humblefan]
MistaBrown Offline

A friend of mine who has participated in some adventure racing swears by Cheetos. They are one of, if not the highest calorie to weight ratio. Keep in mind though, that they eat them because of the need to consume 5,000+ calories per day to travel rough terrain contstantly. It's probably not the healthiest solution!

#141908 - 11/15/10 12:25 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: Franco]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I thought the calorie count of Nutella (yum!) was somewhat equal to peanut butter; about 200cal/2 tablespoons. High density calorie foods includes nuts...and the king of them all is the macadamia nut. 320 calories per chopped 1/3 cup. I've substituted these into Phat's snack bar formula and it works for my taste buds. Lots O fat in those suckers (Macadamia nuts), but it is good fat. Hey, you are going to burn it off backpacking or mountaineering.

sK

#141922 - 11/15/10 03:58 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: skcreidc]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
What could have a higher ration than good ol' Crisco? - perhaps with a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg for a bit of flavoring.

Edited by oldranger (11/15/10 03:59 PM)

#141924 - 11/15/10 04:05 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: oldranger]
sjohnny Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Cinnamon Crisco. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

#141937 - 11/15/10 07:02 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: humblefan]
lori Offline

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#142613 - 11/30/10 09:27 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: humblefan]
PDA Offline

@lori - excellent site.
Re Hudson Bay Bread. Looks good, but I would suggest that the history is probably false. I attended the UK army outward bound school in 1961, and the recommended high energy food was "Edmund Hillary's favourite - Kendal Mint Cake." (This is a sugar/glucose opaque confection flavoured with peppermint.) as an alternative, fruit cake was recommended. Hillary was rumoured to have taken 4 tea chests of Kendal Mint Cake to the Everest expedition and the party complained that there might not be enough! Certainly, I can report that pupils of the Outward Bound School consumed enormous quantities of Kendal Mint Cake and we all placed copious quantities of it in our packs as "emergency rations". Nowadays I prefer home-made fruit cake which contains complex and simple carbs, dried fruit, nuts, and if I made it, a good slug of rum. Makes it moist and delicious. Slather it with butter to up the fat content. I suppose modern energy bars are easier, but much less fun.

#142756 - 12/04/10 11:39 AM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: oldranger]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
As kids we would mix Crisco with brown sugar for a treat.

#142759 - 12/04/10 01:45 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: DJ2]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
OMG! I was trying to be funny.....

#142762 - 12/04/10 03:47 PM Re: Highest storable calorie to weight ratio? [Re: DJ2]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Brown sugar plus Crisco-

Kinda like apple pie without the apples in the middle and the flour in the crust.

Yum! (NOT!)

CM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum