Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138599 - 09/10/10 09:52 AM Comfy + Light Sleeping Pads-Ether Elite?
wildthing Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
Since my Exped broke, I'm stymied by the choice in sleeping pads. POE alone has 29 models, but few of them are light enough to fit into the 1lb category.

Speaking of which the Exped weighs 27oz but is the most comfortable pad I've owned! I also had the Stephenson DAM but it was a PIA since it was slippery and the valve failed. My tightly wound backpacking buddy awoke one morning to find himself wreathed in down from the DAM, and was not amused! I laughed when he had to use his camp towel to make sure every vestige of the down was gone from the tent.

Now the valve has failed on the Exped and I'm trying to find something lighter for summer use. OregonMouse has kindly suggested the POE Ether 6 but can't find any to buy locally or online. Then I stumbled onto the POE Ether Elite. Anyone else have this pad? I'd like to hear comments from other folks before I buy one for an upcoming trip to the wet coast.

#138601 - 09/10/10 12:34 PM Re: Comfy + Light Sleeping Pads-Ether Elite? [Re: wildthing]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
I had to run the same gauntlet recently. My Exped is wonderful but heavy (I have the "Delux"). I ended up buying the POE Ether Elite because I decided to commit to the concept that I would only use it for 3 season use. I chickened out and didn't get the short but rather purchased the "regular" size. I have only used it for two nights so far but you'll love the smaller packed size. Nights were warm so didn't get cold. I was camping out in the Cascades above Rockport. I see you are in Victoria so our camping is similar. I'm on Whidbey Island. I had to search for it online and POE is backordered.

#138612 - 09/10/10 05:25 PM Re: Comfy + Light Sleeping Pads-Ether Elite? [Re: OldScout]
wildthing Offline

Old Scout, I hear you, it's even tougher in Canada as have to go across the pond to Vancouver for a lot of things, but I found a store, West Coast Sports, that would order one for me from Quebec, and they'll ship direct to me!

Thanks for the report on the pad!

#139199 - 09/23/10 07:36 AM Re: Comfy + Light Sleeping Pads-Ether Elite? [Re: wildthing]
wildthing Offline

The Elite arrived as promised in two days from the distributer back in Quebec City (I'm on Vancouver Island)as I ordered it through a retailer in Vancouver and had it shipped direct.

Size:
It folds small. The size of a local newspaper folded in half! Seriously, it is less than half the bulk of the Exped Downmat7.

Weight:
I was glad to keep my weight down with the Elite, which weighed in at a swelte 15oz including stuffsack and repair kit. Think I'll keep both with the pad as this pad material is thin! At present, my big 4 is down to 7lbs with the change!

Test:
Took out the POE Ether Elite on a test run last weekend to the Juan de Fuca Trail. Just an overnighter but did 10km the first day and 12km the second. I found the Elite inflated easily in a few minutes with a screw valve that was easy to use, much easier than the Exped. The pad itself is not as thick or luxurious as the Exped, which was hard to ignore as my backpacking companion had one! It is 2.5" thick versus the Exped7 at 2.8" but the Exped did look quite a bit thicker. Laid down on the sand, it felt pretty comfy. It is narrower than the Exped, so my arms were not on the pad. I sleep warm so that's fine. As it turned out it was 13C and 100% humidity so it did't matter! I was awake for quite some time, but that gave me a lot of thinking time to consider the pad as I endlessly turned on my side, again on my back, on my side...

Comfort:
Not quite as plush as the Downmat7. I think I filled it up too full but was too lazy to let out some air. The torso only insulation kept me warm enough. I think this pad at an R-Value of 4 in the torso, but 2 without the insulation would do quite nicely down to 0C. The R-Value of the Exped, at 5.9, would be good down to -10C, which I'm not planning to experience any time soon!

Suitability for Long Trails:
This pad is light and packs small! It is plenty comfortable enough and will be an integral part of my kit from now on. A few mountain passes on the CDT or the PCT might go below freezing but in the main this pad would be fine for long distance. Chris Townsend has chosen this pad for his current trek so I await his review. Apparently POE is coming out with an even better pad so stay tuned. I haven't found the "more advanced" and "better" pads are always lighter.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum