Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138704 - 09/13/10 11:14 AM Backpack + Trailless Peaks
kjspgd Offline

So...

I'm not a newbie, but have a weird question.

In a few weeks, I'll be backpacking in the Catskills a ways in, setting up camp and hitting some trail-less peaks returning to the backcountry camp. So I'm in a quandry as I'd like my large volume (4700) pack for backpacking in... and then a daypack for the peak day.

How do people handle this? Do they carry a daypack with them? I also need to get a hydration bladder, so I am condsidering getting a hydration daypack - but I am thinking it would be ugly (heavy) to strap a hydration daypack on my multi-night backpack.

Thoughts?

#138719 - 09/13/10 03:14 PM Re: Backpack + Trailless Peaks [Re: kjspgd]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
We carry a small and very lightweight daypack when we backpack. It's really just a sack with a couple of shoulder straps. And we not only use it for a day pack--it's great for carrying our water bottles back and forth from camp to lake...and we fill it with clothes for a pillow at night.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#138720 - 09/13/10 04:02 PM Re: Backpack + Trailless Peaks [Re: kjspgd]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I carry my backpack as a summit pack also, which saves the weight of carrying a smaller pack. Three nice things about taking the backpack with me:
I can take any of my gear needed since it already fit into the backpack size is not a problem.
It keeps my $800 pack close to me where its safer.
The pack is modular and can be from 29 ounces up to about 54 oz with all of the pockets, shovel holders and gadgets attached so I could simply remove the pockets, stiffener, etc and leave them in my tent. smile Backpack makers have been loath to produce modular packs since then people might only have one backpack, like me essentially. I do have an ancient Kelty Tioga external frame to loan friends. (and ok yeh I have 6 or more little packs including a Ray Way pack, but I don't ever carry them)
This was perhaps the final idea/use that made me pay $500 in 1988 for a Kelty White Cloud. A few years ago the water proofing started coming off the spectra so they sent me a new Cloud 6500. Nice people at Kelty.
Jim smile

#138731 - 09/13/10 05:43 PM Re: Backpack + Trailless Peaks [Re: kjspgd]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I often carry a fanny pack with me and use it on day hikes from my base camp.

I bought a big one at Wal-Mart that came with two "Nalgene" type water bottles, and I have a small one from LL Bean that was given to me many years ago.

I've seen backpacks that have a detachable part that can be used as a fanny pack too.

If you have to bring climbing gear with you then I have no idea how that'd work for you. Bringing an empty, full-sized daypack might be the way to go. I think my Peak daypack weighs about 3 lbs. That'd be a tough one to want to lug along.

Edited by billstephenson (09/13/10 05:44 PM)

"You want to go where?"

#138733 - 09/13/10 06:11 PM Re: Backpack + Trailless Peaks [Re: kjspgd]
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
Since this is a lightweight forum, I'll suggest something like these:

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=770&CFID=1711017&CFTOKEN=63456768

http://www.owareusa.com/ under daypacks

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=139

One of these should fit your needs. Some of them could do double duty as stuffsack for other gear in your pack when backpacking.

#138740 - 09/13/10 09:45 PM Re: Backpack + Trailless Peaks [Re: kjspgd]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Balzacom has the right approach. Very light daypacks have been around for years. I have used a Lowe "Alpine Attack Summit" for years (Anyone carrying an "Alpine Attack Summit" must be a really gnarly, tough dude, right?)

Despite the silly name, it is very light (3-4 oz), carries a day load very comfortably, and has a lid that protects the interior contents quite nicely. It even has a light daisy chain for technical stuff. On the approach, it is very nice stuff sack for the sleeping bag and/or clothes.

Don't bother with the hydration stuff unless you really like complex, fiddly gear that is heavier than necessary. It's just water. A plain bottle will hold it very well.

#138742 - 09/13/10 10:02 PM Re: Backpack + Trailless Peaks [Re: kjspgd]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
I normally carry a very light pack, so I just take everything up to the summit. I don't have to return they way I came. I don't need to find the gear I left behind. If the conditions turn against me, Ihave all your gear with me.

If you carry a light pack but want to save weight for the assault? Use your pack, but leave whatever you don't need behind in a dry bag or protected by your shelter. There are some packs which have been specifically designed to carry large loads during an approach, and then shrink for summiting. Example of this sort of design are a number of packs made by HcHale Packs, and modular packs like the Kelty Cloud line.

There are a number of companies that make stuff sack / daypack combo that are light weight. Personally, I haven't found one of these that is really comfortable, but some people really seem to like them.

Use an ultralight (frameless) packs from MLD, Gossamer Gear, Montbell, Zpack, etc. They will be between 4-16oz and carry pretty comfortably.. especially if you take your sleeping pad with you.

--mark

#138746 - 09/14/10 12:59 AM Re: Backpack + Trailless Peaks [Re: oldranger]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By oldranger
It's just water. A plain bottle will hold it very well.

I love this line! And will repeat it, with your permission!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#138769 - 09/14/10 11:45 AM Re: Backpack + Trailless Peaks [Re: kjspgd]
kjspgd Offline

Good deal; thanks for everyone's responses.

I'll let you know what I do, but it's unlikely to involve a hydration pack. Bottles, those I have! Since it's a trailless peak and sounds pretty dense, I think I'm going to avoid using my larger full pack. I'll keep my eyes open for a light daypack...

Kevin

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum