Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133349 - 05/07/10 11:29 AM Kid Carriers
hikingwithkids20 Offline

I purchased a new Kelty Kid Carrier FC3 from Bill & Paul's Sporthaus and was wondering if anyone has any advice as to whether these are good for hiking especially with a 4 year old. Any thoughts?

#133466 - 05/10/10 06:33 PM Re: Kid Carriers [Re: hikingwithkids20]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I have a kelty kid carrier. Usually by the time they are 3 1/2 years old, they are too big. I make them walk on their own all the time when they are 4 for sure. If you only have one kid, or this one is your youngest, and you don't plan on any more kids, I would take it back. But, I really like mine for 6 months to 3 years.

#133511 - 05/11/10 07:34 AM Re: Kid Carriers [Re: hikingwithkids20]
dolomiti Offline

Loc: houston, tx
Originally Posted By hikingwithkids20
I purchased a new Kelty Kid Carrier FC3 from Bill & Paul's Sporthaus and was wondering if anyone has any advice as to whether these are good for hiking especially with a 4 year old. Any thoughts?

4 year old? I had one of these when my son was 18 months. We did some hiking with it and it was fine (he weighed in the high 20s). The last time I used it, I took him for a 5 hour - 14 mile hike in Texas, in August, when he was 30 months and weighed 35 or so. I sold it the following week.

He is now 3.5, and I will occasionally carrying him on my shoulders if we are day hiking with no pack. If we are doing an overnight, he has to walk and we take breaks. Giving him his own hiking stick has been a big motivator.
you can leave right now.

#133544 - 05/11/10 03:59 PM Re: Kid Carriers [Re: hikingwithkids20]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
I quit carrying son #1 at 3 1/2. I got tired of being kicked in the kidneys, poked in the ears, hair pulled and most of all his heavy bowling ball butt on my back grin

I am back to square one now and face years of carrying son #2 but I can tell you that at 4 years you can train them quickly to hike smile Yes, you won't go as fast but you can realistically expect them to give you at least 4 miles after a couple hikes. I had son #1 hiking 10 mile days by 4 1/2 - which granted not many kids want to do, but with training and lots of treats can do smile

#133592 - 05/12/10 12:56 PM Re: Kid Carriers [Re: sarbar]
Claus Offline

Loc: Central Iowa
We did the 10k Volskmarch up Crazy Horse and a few days later hiked Harney Peak (also in the Black Hills, SD) with our 4 year old boy walking most of it. His 1 year old daughter got the ride in the kid backpack. He did very well even though he hated walking. To over come that we needed to play games, do little races, etc to keep his mind of it and make it more enjoyable.

I just got small hydration backpacks for my kids and they are very excited to use them. So hopefully that will help give them more interest in hiking. BTW, they are now 6 & 3 years old and I'm not taking any of them in the carrier.

Anyway, just stick your kid in the carrier and go for a walk. That will be the best way to determine if the carrier and you are up to i.

#133910 - 05/18/10 06:27 PM Re: Kid Carriers [Re: sarbar]
finallyME Offline

Yeah, I am back to square one as well. Just waiting for him to be able to hold up his head to put him in the carrier. And, I just kicked his brother out. A little more than a year ago, I had them all at REI. I put my then 2 1/2 yr old and his 3 1/2 yr old sister on the scale they have for gear. Both weighed in at 30 lbs. I wanted to see how much weight I was carrying when I put one in the Kelty carrier and one on my shoulders. Good thing I never did that for a long distance.

#135869 - 07/05/10 10:13 PM Re: Kid Carriers [Re: hikingwithkids20]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
4 years old - how heavy/tall is she/he?

Reason I ask is there is a weight limit for the child and for the pack (child+gear) that you need to consider.

Kelty's website should have the information if you bought it used and don't have the documentation.

Steadman

#138173 - 08/30/10 04:16 PM Re: Kid Carriers [Re: finallyME]
sarbar Offline

finallyMe, did you have another baby? smile Walker just passed 5 months and has been in his front carriers pretty happily. We have a Deuter Kid Carrier 3 but it will be another month or two before he can be in it - it is a big pack, designed to haul even older kids well - so the little ones get kind of lost in it. Oops!
Me carrying Walker a month or two ago:

#138299 - 09/02/10 04:27 PM Re: Kid Carriers [Re: sarbar]
finallyME Offline

Yeah, he is 9 days to 6 months old. He is starting to sit up. He is 95% in his weight and height group. He was 25% when he was born. He is a chunker. I put him in our kelty kid carrier when he was about 4 months. He didn't like it, probably because he couldn't hold his head very long. I have carried him in the front loader we have a bunch of times, but never for a hike. But, you can't walk fast with those because it bopps their head around too much, unless they are facing you. He hates that. He has to look around. His older brother turns 4 this month and is pretty strong to hike a ways without having someone carry him. We probably should go on a day hike soon. All my other kids have been begging me to go. I am taking my oldest son backpacking on the 10 and 11th with the scouts. Hopefully I will finish his pack in time.

#138351 - 09/03/10 02:29 PM Re: Kid Carriers [Re: finallyME]
sarbar Offline

Walker has really good neck strength/control so we do get out a lot - but I can't do much where I have to use my feet. Takes me 4 times as long to go over rocks, etc as without him on me - due to not being able to see my feet.

That was us yesterday at Rainier.

#138454 - 09/07/10 11:08 AM Re: Kid Carriers [Re: sarbar]
finallyME Offline

Well, I haven't put him in anything for over a month. He seems to have strong neck muscles now, so I am obviously over due.

#138482 - 09/08/10 10:17 AM Re: Kid Carriers [Re: finallyME]
finallyME Offline

Sarbar, I just found this picture. Forgot I had it. I think it was taken either early July or late June. He was around 4 months then.

I went on a walk on level ground with him here for about 1/4 of a mile. It sucked. I'll chalk it up to me being a wuss. It was hard to keep his head from bobbing around. Now, I think he is old enough for the Kelty, and strong enough. Plus, he is too heavy for the front carrier.

#138493 - 09/08/10 01:00 PM Re: Kid Carriers [Re: finallyME]
sarbar Offline

I think why I can carry Hefty Pants still in his front carrier is the carrier I use - it pulls in quite a bit so he is tight against me - also no flopping is a good thing (helps my balance). It also has a full lumbar/hip support.
I walk in town with him in a Bjorn, but for the trail I use that Kelty.
It will be a week or two or three till I can get him in the Deuter back one. Since it is designed to carry kids longer than a Kelty or similar the baby has to be pretty big, at least 6 months old, which he isn't yet. It swallows him but it will be worth it when he is 2 years old! That and Daddy can wear the Deuter as well smile

But I will say this about any front carrier - I had to train myself around town to even like it and be comfy. So instead of pushing him around in his BOB jogger every day I would carry him one or two days in his carrier. Gets ones back in shape laugh

#145488 - 01/27/11 08:53 AM Re: Kid Carriers [Re: Claus]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
I have exactly the same pack (Kelty Back country) and I still carry my daughter (4 years old and 30+ lbs) every now and then. It isn't bad as the sholder straps and waist belt are great. Usually my 2 year old gets preference with the carrier though.

That said, my wife wouldn't want to carry our 4 year old daughter in it.

We use ours all the time and took our 1 year old on a 3 day backpacking trip with it a few years ago. She had a great time. My wife carried our 1 year old and I carried the pack (with all the dirty diapers).

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#146676 - 02/19/11 11:39 PM Re: Kid Carriers [Re: hikingwithkids20]
sarbar Offline

Well, Walker just moved to a backpack carrier from his many front carriers smile Exciting times!

The Deuter Air Comfort III is a very nice pack - though I will not fib it is also very, very heavy. But the weight rides well.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum