Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137863 - 08/20/10 11:16 PM Hiking Chair
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
One thing that bugs me on my overnight hikes is the fact that there is nowhere to sit comfortably at these wilderness camps, unless one considers a log to be comfortable. I know they make an accessory for a Thermarest that converts it into a chair of sorts, but I want something along the lines of a confessional folding chair. I don’t want to sit on the ground. I would like to be able to sit on the chair in my tent and read a book free from the numerous mosquitos and black flies we have in our country. Do they make such a chair that is comfortable and still light enough? Us older guys need a little comfort smile Thanks.

I am finally starting to lighten my load and now I am finding new ways to add weight back on smile

Howie

#137869 - 08/21/10 07:00 AM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Howie]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm also old, and have used one of the Thermarest chairs for years. I really like them - they're a good balance of light weight, function, comfort, and durability. If you don't want your legs on the ground, and if you use a full-length Thermarest, they make a "lounger" that covers the whole pad and never needs to be removed; it puts length out under your legs.

Try Campmor if you want an actual chair - they tend to carry stuff like that. I'm a little curious: what kind of tent are you carrying that would be tall enough and wide enough to sit in a chair? (One other consideration: will the chair legs abrade the tent floor?)

#137872 - 08/21/10 09:31 AM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Glenn]
Howie Offline

Thanks Glenn. I actually have not been using a tent but rather a syl nylon tarp set up as a lean-to. I rig up mosquito netting from the ridge line. I like not having a floor. It has its advantages. That said, I am considering buying a Scarp 2. It looks like that one has lots of room in it and I can order it with an all mesh interior. Its interior height is 45". I don't need a really tall chair. Perhaps a smaller children's version might work.

Howie

#137879 - 08/21/10 12:18 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Howie]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Interestingly, I am perfectly comfortable and relaxed (even at my relatively advanced age) sitting on the ground with a thin sit pad under me and with my back against a log, rock, tree or (during the day) my pack. I have never felt the need for a chair. In fact, I've tried a few camp chairs and didn't find them at all comfortable. YMMV, obviously!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/21/10 12:19 PM)

#137882 - 08/21/10 12:59 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: OregonMouse]
Howie Offline

I have done that, but then I have to fight the bugs. I want a chair that will work either inside a tent or outside when conditions are such. As kids we used to sit cross legged on the floor for hours but for me at least I just cannot do that anymore either. Too hard on my back.

My wife reads every night while laying in bed. Me, I cannot seem to do that comfortably for some reason.

Howie

#137885 - 08/21/10 01:36 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Howie]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I'm with you, OM. We use two little sheets of close-cell foam to sit on. They go on the outside of our packs (good use of those tiny bungee cords there!) and we pull them out all the time, both on the trail and in camp. We sit on them to eat, to pull on our boots, we use them for shielding the stove if it's really blowing, kneel on them to get into the tent, and I even use them as part of my pillow at night.

If the bugs are fierce, we'll put on our headnets...but the idea of a chair...inside a tent....

Wow. That's luxury. I'm not sure we would want to carry the extra weight, or find the actual chair comfortable. But I appreciate the investigative research! Tell us what you find out, Howie!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#137887 - 08/21/10 02:01 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Howie]
Lucky489 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I am getting this one at 22 oz. I can swing that.

Chair

Originally Posted By Howie
One thing that bugs me on my overnight hikes is the fact that there is nowhere to sit comfortably at these wilderness camps, unless one considers a log to be comfortable. I know they make an accessory for a Thermarest that converts it into a chair of sorts, but I want something along the lines of a confessional folding chair. I don’t want to sit on the ground. I would like to be able to sit on the chair in my tent and read a book free from the numerous mosquitos and black flies we have in our country. Do they make such a chair that is comfortable and still light enough? Us older guys need a little comfort smile Thanks.

I am finally starting to lighten my load and now I am finding new ways to add weight back on smile

Howie

#137893 - 08/21/10 04:01 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Lucky489]
Howie Offline

Looking good. I wonder how high it is when set up? Also, I hope it is strong, as my fat butt has broken a few similar looking stools.

Howie

#137894 - 08/21/10 05:25 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Howie]
Lucky489 Offline

They have a heavier one also at 2 lbs 2 oz.

X-large Chair

#137897 - 08/21/10 06:39 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Howie]
Lucky K Offline

Loc: NY
This might interest you:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3664474

I saw it at EMS, but didn't get to try it out. It has two legs, and you sort of balance in it.

#137899 - 08/21/10 07:45 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Lucky K]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
there are many variations on hammocks, as in small hanging chairs can be morphed from hammocks.
Jim

#137900 - 08/21/10 07:56 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Jimshaw]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
True. Although it would be hard to hang a hammock inside a tent.

#137901 - 08/21/10 08:16 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Lucky K]
Howie Offline

Thanks Lucky. It looks like that Monarch chair will fit the bill.

Howie

#137905 - 08/21/10 10:10 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Howie]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I have a Slinglight chair with the headrest, weighs about what the stool weighs or an oz less. I can't sit on the ground on a pad with my back. I either need to lean against a tree or rock, but then my butt starts going numb. In the chair I'm just a little better and have a clean place to sit.

#137906 - 08/21/10 11:03 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: hikerduane]
Howie Offline

I just ordered the Alite Monarch chair. It is on sale but with shipping and stuff it cost $76.00. I can hardly wait for it to arrive and try it out.

Howie

#137909 - 08/22/10 01:14 AM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Howie]
countr21 Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
I have the Monarch chair. Just be reminded that it is a two legged chair and does require some effort getting in/out of it. But I like it.

#137944 - 08/23/10 01:17 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Howie]
MaryPhyl Offline

http://www.slinglight.com/ I carried this for years until I decided any chair was too heavy. Now I carry two sections of a z-rest and fold them the wrong direction for my tail end--and then lean back on my pack. This is nice year round for insulation and padding. At night the z-rest goes under my legs and feet as I have a very short pad. When cooking it is nice for my knees on rocky ground. It also makes an acceptable cozy for zip bags.

#137970 - 08/24/10 12:32 AM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Howie]
Narf Offline

Loc: Missouri
Friend has the Monarch. Its neat, little too expensive though. Light and packs small, however does bad in soft ground (loose gravel/rocks, mud) since all the weight is pretty much on 2 little ball-points. And yes getting out of them requires an art.

I just use a REI 3 legged stool whenever I feel the need for a seperate chair (i hammock). http://www.rei.com/product/765283

#138000 - 08/24/10 05:36 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Narf]
ral Offline

Loc: San Francisco
I do not always take it but I do have a slinglite----it is a real chair and weighs something like 22OZ----I have been finding myself taking on most trips-----once you are in it it is really nice----but it is pretty low so getting in and out takes effort especially if you are good and worn out

#138001 - 08/24/10 06:07 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: ral]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If you have to carry a bear canister (which I don't do unless I absolutely have to!), you do have a nice stool to sit on as well. I sure wouldn't carry a canister just to have something to sit on, though! But if you have to carry one, at least there's a second use for it.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/24/10 06:07 PM)

#138004 - 08/24/10 06:22 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: OregonMouse]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Same with the 5 gallon buckets that are allowed on the ocean beaches of Olympic National Park in Washington, instead of a bear cannister.

I considered converting a 5 gallow bucket to a pack so I would always have a stool to sit on. One would still be carrying extra weight, however. Hate to mess with anything that affects my base weight.

#138039 - 08/26/10 12:27 AM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Howie]
Howie Offline

#138040 - 08/26/10 12:49 AM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Howie]
Narf Offline

Loc: Missouri
got REI's labor day sale ad in the mail. just a headsup . has 30% off camp furniture. Makes the monarch and others a little more reasonable. sale starts friday

#138056 - 08/26/10 03:04 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Howie]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
THATS not a knife. THIS is a knife!!

#138067 - 08/26/10 09:10 PM Re: Hiking Chair [Re: Howie]
Tangohkr Offline

Very nice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum