Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136465 - 07/17/10 02:57 PM Hiking Pole Question
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
A couple of years ago I gave adjustable hiking poles a try, didn't like them and gave them away. They would slip at the adjustable joint if I put a lot of pressure on them.

Are there poles available that won't slip under a heavy load? Canes and crutches come with a near failsafe adjusting system that uses a spring loaded button. Something like that would give me more confidence in the hiking poles.

#136474 - 07/17/10 06:32 PM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: DJ2]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Are there poles available that won't slip under a heavy load?
Yes. Take a look at the Black Diamond Flick lock or the various other "me too" designs from Leki (SpeedLock) Exped (?) and Easton (RockLock).
If you are a heavy person look for the longer type (53-55") . At 5'7" I use the longer type simply because they are more versatile for my tents
as well as extra length for the downhill bits without having to extend them fully.
Franco

#136483 - 07/18/10 08:54 AM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: Franco]
Otis Hiker Offline

Loc: MA
+1 for the Black Diamond system. I started hiking the Long Trail with cheapo trekking poles that came with my snow shoes and they lasted all of 10 miles before breaking and not staying locked in position. Those ended up in a hiking box and I went to the closest EMS and bought the black diamond poles. Those lasted me the rest of the trip (260 more miles then the cheapo's) and they're still in excellent shape and still lock into the desired height. Don't give up on trekking poles just yet, just try out a new system/brand.

#136484 - 07/18/10 08:59 AM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: DJ2]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Nope, Black Diamond flicklock is closest, but I can collapse mine. The critical need sensor works great - they always collapse at the wortst possible time.

The supposed advantage of adjustable poles is that you can stow them on your pack when bushwhacking or on third class trails. I think they need to collapse to 25" or less, but few do.

#136485 - 07/18/10 09:15 AM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: ringtail]
Ambersdad Offline

Loc: Norman OK
If you can afford the nicer poles, certainly give them a try. Have a pair of Dyno trekking poles that I paid less than $30.00 for including the shipping. Probably have about 50 miles on them so far. Most of my use is boulder hopping. Keeps me from having to get down on all 4's in spots. Far as I'm concerned I've gotten my monies worth out of them.

#136486 - 07/18/10 09:15 AM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: DJ2]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
It sounds like you want a single-section pole. The obvious answer is go to the local hardware store and pick up some sort of hoe or rake handle (my first was called a "utility" handle), drill a hole at top and run a cord through it for a strap. A bit heavy and bulky, but it won't break - or, if it does, the cause will be so traumatic that a collapsed pole will be the least of your problems.

A lighter alternative is the Tracks Lite Staff: http://www.trackspoles.com/walking_hiking.asp?Action=LiteStaff

It's a nice, sturdy staff. I used this for a while, too (this was way back when collapsible poles were still getting started.) It never gave me any problems - although, if you happen to fall in such a way that you pin it against a good-sized rock and wrack it just right, it will bend. (Don't ask how I know that. The answer would involve a moss-covered rock under half an inch of water, and a bit too much trust in my boot tread.)

#136553 - 07/19/10 05:20 PM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: DJ2]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah

Mine don't slip under a heavy load, but then again, they aren't collapsible. I got mine at a thrift store for $3. They are just ski poles. Maybe I will put straps on them someday.

#137390 - 08/08/10 05:56 PM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: finallyME]
prone2wander Offline

I have been using Leki poles for over 10 years and they never slip if properly maintained. I have an ultralight, 15.4 oz per pair, all aluminum version that is a few years old and I can poll vault over creeks with them. I weigh about 195 lbs.

I heard their aluminum strength is the envy of aluminum manufactures but Leki won't share how they do it.

#137393 - 08/08/10 06:23 PM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: DJ2]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I use a pair of K swiss aluiminum adjustables. They are twist lock desighn. They support my weight and supported a friends that is over 100 pounds overweight. They tend not to if you twist your wrist while they are bearing weight as this unlocks them. They cost 9.99 at Farm and fleet and on my last trip to the smokies, there were many leiki users. They could not beleive they were that cheap! They are good poles and I talked to a couple thru hikers that had them. They bought them at backpacking stores and paid 30.00 a piece. I saw same poles in a shop in Estes Park a few weeks ago for 30.00 as well. If you are in mid west go to Farm and Fleet!

#137394 - 08/08/10 06:25 PM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: finallyME]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
They dont need straps those are considered a strapless grip ski pole!

#137430 - 08/09/10 10:50 AM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: prone2wander]
Roocketman Offline

Originally Posted By prone2wander
I have been using Leki poles for over 10 years and they never slip if properly maintained. I have an ultralight, 15.4 oz per pair, all aluminum version that is a few years old and I can poll vault over creeks with them. I weigh about 195 lbs.

I heard their aluminum strength is the envy of aluminum manufactures but Leki won't share how they do it.

Maybe there is nothing to share.

It CAN happen that a pole manufacturer knows some secrets about aluminum that the aluminum industry doesn't. It can also be like one of those fantastic emails that circles around and never dies because people WANT to believe the story (David vs Goliath).

#137455 - 08/09/10 04:43 PM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: Roocketman]
prone2wander Offline

Maybe there is nothing to share.

It CAN happen that a pole manufacturer knows some secrets about aluminum that the aluminum industry doesn't. It can also be like one of those fantastic emails that circles around and never dies because people WANT to believe the story (David vs Goliath). [/quote]

Fair enough and I hate those emails and didn't mean to be so vague! I was told when I was a rep for Leki, maybe I was lied to but I don't think so. Been a while since I repped them though.

#137579 - 08/13/10 10:36 AM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: DJ2]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By DJ2
A couple of years ago I gave adjustable hiking poles a try, didn't like them and gave them away. They would slip at the adjustable joint if I put a lot of pressure on them.

Are there poles available that won't slip under a heavy load? Canes and crutches come with a near failsafe adjusting system that uses a spring loaded button. Something like that would give me more confidence in the hiking poles.

I've used hiking staffs, ski poles, trekking poles, ice axes and everything in between. I've used a cane for the last six years and would never use anything else:

#137640 - 08/14/10 04:49 PM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: BradMT]
DJ2 Offline

Thanks for the picture and idea. I pretty much use my ice axe like a cane anyway. That's why I got one that is longer than normal.

Your wooden cane looks pretty classy. I have an adjustable aluminum one that should do the trick, however. I think I will give it a try.

When I hurt my back a couple of years ago I was using adjustable aluminum crutches at home. I was considering them as an option also. I liked them.

#137641 - 08/14/10 06:17 PM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: DJ2]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I haven't had any problem with getting Leki poles tight enough, or adjusting them to use with my shelter--even though I'm one of those who has to get a neighbor to help when I need to open a jar! I don't have enough strength in my fingers to work the flicklocks on Black Diamond or the new Leki poles, though. Just proves we're all individuals!

There are fixed length hiking poles available, or you can get used ski poles. I can't use fixed length poles because the length I need for hiking is shorter than what I need to support my shelter. If you're not a shorty like me, it's easy to adapt a longer pole to a shorter shelter.

The advantages of using two poles are great. I used a single hiking staff for 15 years after my knee injury before switching to two. The improvement in my hiking speed and in my balance was infinitely greater, and I'd never go back to a single pole!

Here is an excellent site showing how to adjust and use trekking poles.

#137689 - 08/15/10 08:43 PM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: DJ2]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By DJ2
Thanks for the picture and idea. I pretty much use my ice axe like a cane anyway. That's why I got one that is longer than normal.

Your wooden cane looks pretty classy. I have an adjustable aluminum one that should do the trick, however. I think I will give it a try.

When I hurt my back a couple of years ago I was using adjustable aluminum crutches at home. I was considering them as an option also. I liked them.

Update... picked up this Komerdell cane and used it this weekend. I don't find it quite as comfortable as my well worn shepherds crook version, but it's a couple ounces lighter, can collapse to a small size and can be made longer if I want it (my regular cane is 90cm)... picked it up at REI for a hefty discount. I don't like the "anti shock" stuff (this isn't) and it seems very stout. http://www.rei.com/product/783183

#137787 - 08/18/10 04:20 PM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: Kent W]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By Kent W
They dont need straps those are considered a strapless grip ski pole!

Well that is cool. I have never skiid, just snowboarded. I just know that the height and cost were perfect.

#137862 - 08/20/10 11:04 PM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: DJ2]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
Here is what I have used for quite a while now.

http://trackspoles.com/walking_hiking.asp?Action=SherlockStaff

They also come in a lighter fixed version if you prefer.

I believe they are made in WA

Copy and paste the link.

Howie

#137868 - 08/21/10 12:41 AM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: Howie]
DJ2 Offline

I like that adjusting button. It looks similar to what is used on aluminum crutches and canes.

#137874 - 08/21/10 11:17 AM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: DJ2]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I absolutely love my Tracks. They work so well, and yet on this forum they are never mantioned. It could be that they are slightly heavier than some poles, but I really don't see a problem with them in that regard. They are extremely strong. Sometimes I have caught one in a rock cleft and stumbled, thinking surely I damage my pole, but no. After eight years or so they are still just as good as new besides a few scratches.

The rubber tips screw on very securely with an option to remove them and use the spike instead. I have always stayed with the rubber tips but under icy conditions the spikes would likely be the way to go.

Howie

#137896 - 08/21/10 05:39 PM Re: Hiking Pole Question [Re: BradMT]
DJ2 Offline

For comparison purposes I weighed and measured the adjustable aluminum cane that I have here.

It weighs 10.5 ounces and will adjust from 30" to 39" long. It easily comes apart and then consists of 2 pieces that are each a little less than 21" long.

If one was flying I think they would allow the cane to be carried on intact.

If one wanted to pack the cane into suitcase or backpack the 21 inch disassembled length would work well.

The cane is very strong, will carry a lot of weight and gives no indication that it would ever slip from the adjusted position.

On a side note, my wife doesn't want me to take it on the trail because it makes me look even older than I am. I like the idea of using it and was thinking that I might take one of those self defense classes called canefu (sp?).

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum