Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132282 - 04/18/10 07:30 PM Which brands would you swear by
outdoor4life Offline

Hey everyone. I'm starting up an outdoor gear and clothing store in my community and thought I'd see which brands you feel are by far the best in quality to help determine what I should carry. Are you brand loyal to any that you feel are far superior to the rest? When you purchase your gear are you more concerned with the brand or just looking for the best price?

Also I've made up a real quick survey on surveymonkey about what brands you own etc. to help me get some good info that should really help me out. I'd really appreciate it if any of you took a couple minutes to fill it out. Thanks

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/goodoutdoor

#132283 - 04/18/10 07:59 PM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: outdoor4life]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
MSR, Western Mountaineering, Patagonia, Vasque, Thermarest, Deuter

#132290 - 04/18/10 11:00 PM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: outdoor4life]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
It depends on your market. You cannot go wrong with ArcTerex, but the stuff is realy pricy. You had better have a market with lots of rich folks.

I am also impressed with Black Diamond - utilitarian, lower cost, but well thought out stuff, not the lightest, but it works. Just be aware that their tents are made for high, dry cold conditions - do not do well in downpour warm wet condtions.

I have also liked Kelty - not the lightest, but well made, consistent quality. Mid to lower price ranges.

Stuff made by companies based in the Pacific Northwest know what rain is. MSR tents are weatherproof if nothing else.

You also need to look at your local competition. You may prefer to carry brands that are not locally avalialbe. You are very brave to go into this business with all the cutthroat internet competion right now.

Good luck!

#132375 - 04/20/10 09:34 AM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: outdoor4life]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
What I'd love to see is a brick and mortar store that carries only cottage industry gear (not more of the same like MSR, etc.). I'd love to walk into a physical store one day and see things hanging on the wall from the likes of Gossamer Gear, Tarptent, Trail Designs, Elemental Horizons, 6 Moon Designs, Mountain Laurel Designs, etc. I can buy MSR stuff anywhere but my dream shop would carry more unique stuff. Though I'm not sure how realistic it is because cottage manufacturers might not be interested in selling to a brick & mortar shop. Anyway, I can dream!

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#132382 - 04/20/10 10:54 AM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: jasonklass]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Jason, how about a store that will size you for a McHale? Anyways, a cottage industry store would be cool.

#132387 - 04/20/10 11:31 AM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: jasonklass]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
The reason that I think cottage gear makers give such good value is that there may not be enough margin between the production cost and sales price to support multiple mark-ups.
We may never see our favorite gear in brick & mortar.

#132430 - 04/20/10 09:34 PM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: ringtail]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Also, the cottage manufacturers can't produce the volume needed for the big chains like REI to bother stocking. Lightweight backpacking gear is also still a niche market.

EDIT: That being said, my favorite manufacturer is Tarptent!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/22/10 06:26 PM)

#132532 - 04/22/10 06:06 PM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: outdoor4life]
CamperHiker Offline

Loc: UT
Vasque, My waterproof boots are the best piece of gear I own.

#132634 - 04/24/10 07:11 PM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: Glenn]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Yeah, what Glenn said !!!!!!sabre11004...

#132637 - 04/24/10 07:24 PM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: sabre11004]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Most manufacturers produce different lines of gear. Most have something really nice and other things are either ultralight or made more cheaply. Its all about market share. We had a sign in the lab that read GOOD, FAST, CHEAP - pick two. Light weight AND really durable at the same price, is an oxymoron. My Kelty spectra white cloud pack may be the most technically perfect pack ever made, but its an $800 pack and I don't think Kelty tents or their "normal line of packs" is special. I haven't bought a lot of gear lately because I have always bought really fine gear that lasts. And just to say, really fine gear is 20 years ahead of the competition and will be competitive 20 years from now. I like western mountaineering sleeping bags and montebell clothes and long underwear. I wear Marmot mountaineering clothes because they are bombproof yet relatively light for what you get. My favorite stove is made by Coleman, the Xtreme line is really special, but the rest of their stuff, well lets just say its nice car camping gear if you can't afford better. Stevensons warmlight produces only top notch gear, and the designs are 30 years old. By definition, a cottage industry is not a Brand Name.
Jim

#132651 - 04/24/10 09:47 PM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: sabre11004]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I forgot one: Granite Gear.

#133058 - 05/01/10 01:44 AM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: outdoor4life]
Outdoor gear Offline

i use online store also i suggest you http://www.vargooutdoors.com/ I found cheap rates outdorr gears

Edited by Outdoor gear (05/01/10 01:44 AM)

#133234 - 05/05/10 11:04 AM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: OregonMouse]
Zalman Offline

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, Washington,...
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Also, the cottage manufacturers can't produce the volume needed for the big chains like REI to bother stocking. Lightweight backpacking gear is also still a niche market.

EDIT: That being said, my favorite manufacturer is Tarptent!

I know my local, independent gear store would love to get their hands on some Tarptents to sell! Personally though, I am skeptical of any change/growth that carries even the slightest chance of hampering product quality. I watched what happened to Bibler tents when BD bought them -- even though Todd Bibler remained "in charge". And it's kinda fun to see the store owner seethe with jealousy as I describe my Tarptent.

#133239 - 05/05/10 12:19 PM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: Zalman]
OregonMouse Offline

Actually, if they contact Henry Shires of Tarptent, they might be able to work out a deal. Backcountrygear.com in Eugene, OR has been able to do this.

#133552 - 05/11/10 07:30 PM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: outdoor4life]
longhair29 Offline

Loc: Floridad
My top five brands none of which have let me down are:

Arc' Teryx
Feathered Friends
McHale Packs
MSR
Patagonia

Two notable brands that have failed me are:

Outdoor Research
and TNF

#133630 - 05/13/10 03:06 AM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: outdoor4life]
chndlr04 Offline

Loc: spotaylvania, va
i will only buy maxpedition bags. no its not UL, but every once in a while you will get a customer who want something tougher and can use it even when not backpacking. i have the pygmy falcon 2 pack, protemus and sabercat, looking into another pack soon.

#137585 - 08/13/10 12:14 PM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: outdoor4life]
tjn Offline

I second (or third) Arcteryx, I have used their Bora pack many, many times, it's bulletproof and very comfortable. Their clothes fit perfectly and function very well. As was mentioned, they are pricey, so shop around a good while.

#137614 - 08/13/10 09:59 PM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: outdoor4life]
BradMT Offline

The only "brand" I can swear by is Western Mountaineering... everything, and I mean everything, they make is top drawer. However, they are a specialty company.

As to the rest, you have to pick through... every company makes something good, a few make a few exceptional items, and most make mostly average stuff.

Brand worship is foolish IMO...

#137617 - 08/13/10 10:59 PM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: BradMT]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I don't worship any brands but I do own a lot of gear.

Six Moon Designs
Tarptent
Black Diamond
MSR

have all been very good to me.

MEC house brand has also been good, but they can have a few bad ones too.

Browse my pictures

#137620 - 08/13/10 11:23 PM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: phat]
BradMT Offline

I own a lot of gear as well... Owning a lot of gear is different than having a lot of experience to have a context to evaluate what works and what doesn't. Most of us don't have the experience to evaluate what really works and I'd include myself in that statement despite over 35 years of backpacking... I've got a very good handle on backpacks though, at least as far as my own body is concerned. Still, I'm always learning...

#137629 - 08/14/10 09:35 AM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: BradMT]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
My wife and I each own a different model WM bag, and I agree --- I've slept quite a lot of nights out in both of these bags (in colder weather I use my wife's 20F bag as she's disinclined to be sleeping out when it's colder ...). They've both held up very well and kept me quite warm.

One possible indicator of how many nights that many sleeping bag owners folks spend in their bags suggested itself to me just yesterday. I asked at my local REI store for some of the specialized soap they sell for washing a down bag. They didn't have any. The guy even checked and their store inventory was zero, and I got the impression that they hadn't had any in for a while and that he wasn't going to order any. What he initially pointed me to was "Nikwax Down Proof Wash-In", which container had printed right on it that a person should first use their "Nikwax Down Wash" product to wash the bag. The product that REI doesn't seem to be selling much of and had none in stock.

Maybe this doesn't mean anything --- I'll likely just use Woolite to wash my bag instead. But it got me thinking about how often most people actually use their sleeping bags (and other gear for that matter).

Anyway, I too like WM bags, or at least the two models I have experience with.

Another brand that I quite like is Montbell, at least for clothing. I've got quite a lot of use out of thermawrap vest and jacket, and this year I learned to really like their Alpinelite down parka. After some years and lots of use I sent my thermawrap jacket back to them with a zipper issue and they replaced the zipper and mailed it back to me for free. Very nice.

My one experience with tarptent has been quite positive too, lots of nights out with my Contrail and it's holding up very well for such a light tent --- usually one doesn't expect to get a lot of durability, years and years of use out of gear where weight was a prime purchase criteria.

#137633 - 08/14/10 01:11 PM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: BrianLe]
OregonMouse Offline

Revivex down cleaner from McNett, which both Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends recommend for washing their down products, is available by mail order from, among other online dealers, campmor.com and amazon.com. For you, Brian, it should be available at the Feathered Friends store in downtown Seattle (close to the downtown REI) or from most Western Mountaineering dealers (in your area, Marmot Mountain Works or Pro Mountain Sports), but I'd call first. An item that most people use only every 2-3 years is not something that most retail stores will keep in stock.

Woolite, is no longer a soap (as it was when I was younger) but a detergent, which could strip some of the oils from your down. If you check their website, you'll notice that it is described as a detergent.

I have been disgusted with REI for years, dating back to the 1980's when they became, as a long-time hiker and climber friend put it, "a yuppie store like Banana Republic." Most of the time I go in, spend an hour or more looking and come out either empty-handed or with, at most, an isobutane canister or two. The only significant gear purchases I've made there in recent years were items I was dubious about, the Steripen Adventurer and the Thermarest NeoAir, both of which I ended up returning. REI seems to carry less and less of the useful small stuff, too!

#137686 - 08/15/10 08:31 PM Re: Which brands would you swear by [Re: OregonMouse]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse

I have been disgusted with REI for years, dating back to the 1980's when they became, as a long-time hiker and climber friend put it, "a yuppie store like Banana Republic." Most of the time I go in, spend an hour or more looking and come out either empty-handed or with, at most, an isobutane canister or two. The only significant gear purchases I've made there in recent years were items I was dubious about, the Steripen Adventurer and the Thermarest NeoAir, both of which I ended up returning. REI seems to carry less and less of the useful small stuff, too!

I agree and disagree... been a member since 1975. Pretty much gave up on REI through the 80's... seemed, like the rest of the country, they pretty much lost their way. Sort of re-engaged with them in the 90's... a bit. Lately I think they've come out of their slump. Their brand-name stuff is actually quite a bit higher quality than it was in past decades... I honestly think much of it (maybe most) is up to the top brands.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum