Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137530 - 08/11/10 01:54 PM Re: Backup gear *** [Re: billstephenson]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Bill, I think it fits right in with my original intent: it's backup gear people carry, they just don't know it because it's in your pack.

I tend to do the same, and toss in some extra stuff if I know I've got a rookie (or an incredibly disorganized veteran) backpacker with me. It's sometimes an extra plastic spoon, or a pair of socks, or a mug, or a sweater or down vest. Because, yes, I've had a guy come up to me at supper and say, "Umm, I don't know how to say this, but I guess I forgot my bowl and spoon, heh, heh..."

I find I do this more often with people who have their own gear. If they're relying on loaner gear, I've got more control: I know my spare pack has a poncho, a small first aid kit, eating and cooking utensils, and so forth already in it when I give it to them at the trailhead and watch/teach as they pack it up.

#137532 - 08/11/10 02:04 PM Re: Backup gear [Re: balzaccom]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
balza
I didn't say I have never used a compass, I said I have carried one that never gets used, because I have a GPS sometimes, and because generally I am in mountain country where only a complete ditz could get lost. In fact I have studied celestial navigation etc etc for the purpose of navigation at sea, and I was a boy scout, and I actually know how to orient a compass and chart a route, however I find that I never need those skills, perhaps because I have them, but this is why I am so persistent in my feeling that a compass is just not worthy of being on the ten essential list. And of most people don't know how to use it or read a map so why carry them?
Jim

Glenn,
When I can if I take a newby camping I supply a pack and everything in it. I tell them to bring 3-5 items, their own pants, shirt underwear, and other than that I say "pick up that pack and lets go", then I KNOW they have what they will need.

Edited by Jimshaw (08/11/10 02:08 PM)

#137533 - 08/11/10 02:17 PM Re: Backup gear [Re: Jimshaw]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Among the very few items I carry as backups, in case my primary equipment fails, are:

- an LED pinchlight, backing up my LED headlamp
- a spare bootlace
- stormproof matches

#137534 - 08/11/10 02:39 PM Re: Backup gear [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Offline

Jim:

It's scary that we think so much alike. Very scary. grin

I also keep a second complete set of gear to loan to someone new to backpacking; they only have to bring their clothes and toothbrush. I do make them take everything out and pack it themself, while I explain what the different items are and how to pack a pack.

I usually give it to them at the start of the trip - at the trailhead, or maybe the night before as long as it goes straight into my car. Learned that the night I sent it home with a guy who just couldn't resist looking at it one more time and practicing how to pack it. Said it felt a bit lighter the next morning. Maybe that was because he'd set the tent poles aside and forgot to put them back in before he left.

I find it removes my worries to have control of that part of the trip (accountants barely missed taking the anal-retentive championship from engineers), and it also removes some of the newcomer's trepidations because they have a certain comfort level in knowing that I think they have everything they need. (Silly newcomers! wink )

#137535 - 08/11/10 02:43 PM Re: Backup gear [Re: aimless]
Glenn Offline

At least you exercise SOME restraint: I used to take a PAIR of shoelaces! (Then I learned to check my laces before I left, after which I also found out that the paracord I already had will also work.)

#137537 - 08/11/10 02:51 PM Re: Backup gear [Re: Glenn]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Glenn, Aimless,
Shoelaces? (a pair of them????) smile
I think I broke one when I was 19, but not since. Now check my gear before I leave. I believe a piece of my food hanging cord would suffice to get home.

One time I was on a design team and they were trying to figure out to make a machine self testing. I said "All of the self test circuits complicate the design, create potential failures, and anyway this stuff is all ruggedized. I suggest instead that we find a way to test something with a higher failure rate, like the on/off switch." The team agreed with me and we dropped it.

#137539 - 08/11/10 03:10 PM Re: Backup gear [Re: Glenn]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Originally Posted By Glenn
accountants barely missed taking the anal-retentive championship from engineers

We could have won, if you and I were on the team. OM, however is pretty normal. grin

I took a guy that had NEVER backpacked on a 4 night trip into the Grand Canyon. I provided the complete kit except for clothes and hygiene. I told him I was more worried about him bringing something he did NOT NEED than not having something he needed. He did great.

#137542 - 08/11/10 04:05 PM Re: Backup gear [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Offline

You saying my switch ain't necessarily on? grin

Some days, you may be more right than you think.

#137543 - 08/11/10 04:24 PM Re: Backup gear [Re: ringtail]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Quote:
OM, however is pretty normal.
thanks

That's probably because I didn't start my accounting career until age 45 and have now been retired for over 20 years! I had plenty of more "broadening" experiences (both physically broadening, like several pregnancies, and mental, such as a degree in literature) beforehand, and have stayed away from accounting in the 20 years since!

I must admit, though, that I do have my gear list divided into "fixed" weight and "variable" weight instead of "base weight" and "consumables"!

#137546 - 08/11/10 04:55 PM Re: Backup gear [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Offline

And do you compute the ratio of variable to fixed cos...er, weight?

#137548 - 08/11/10 05:44 PM Re: Backup gear [Re: Glenn]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
No, didn't bother with that! More concerned with getting the fixed (base) weight down so I can go out for more days without resupply!

#137549 - 08/11/10 07:01 PM Re: Backup gear [Re: Glenn]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
I tend to do the same, and toss in some extra stuff if I know I've got a rookie (or an incredibly disorganized veteran) backpacker with me.

Among the small things I started bringing is a little box of temporary dental filling in my first-aid kit. It made it in there about 20 years ago after someone I was with lost a filling and was in pretty bad pain as a result. I replace it every few years, and about 7-8 years ago I had it when this happened again.

I carry about 20-40 ft of "Trot Line" with me. I can use to hoist food, help tie off a tent, tarp or hammock, and replace a broken shoelace. It won't help you repel down a cliff face, but it has many uses and I almost never use it for myself.

I carry a big curved needle and heavy black thread. This I sometimes use as a deterrent to what I perceive might be upcoming stupid behavior. I pull it out and announce "Hey, if anyone gets a good cut or gash I have my needle and thread with me and I've always wanted to stitch someone up with it!"

So far I've only stitched up a few cheap day packs.

I carry a few "Imodium", aspirin, Advil, Tylenol, generic OTC allergy pills, and some antacids. I've only used the aspirin or Advil, and very seldom used those. I really bring them to give away to others and often do.

To be honest, pulling these little "Rabbits" out of my pack is kind of fun, the guy who lost the filling was amazed when I pulled that stuff out of my pack and so was I when it worked wink

Having something that someone needs or forgot also provides a good excuse to pester them with some of the lessons you've learned. Who doesn't enjoy that? smile

"You want to go where?"

#137550 - 08/11/10 07:26 PM Re: Backup gear [Re: billstephenson]
Glenn Offline

Now I gotta find me a big curved needle. Who needs electronics for entertainment?!

I have to admit, it is fun to play "grizzled mountain guy" sometimes.

#137551 - 08/11/10 08:41 PM Re: Backup gear [Re: Jimshaw]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Shoelaces?

When you are out for a couple of weeks with no resupply and a bootlace breaks, it is not a fun situation. Not fatal, but well worth avoiding.

I can tell you this from experience. I don't know how it happened, but Vasque was sending out its brand new Breeze boots with some very inferior laces. I have owned two pair of Breeze and all four laces on them failed within 250 miles - an exasperating thing to have happen.

So yeah. I bring an extra bootlace. I think it weighs two grams. (looks pugnacious) You wanna make sumpin of it, buster?!

#137699 - 08/15/10 11:10 PM Re: Backup gear [Re: Glenn]
Cdiggy Offline

Loc: NJ
Xtra Bic lighter and a pepsi-g stove to back up my pocket rocket. Seems isopro can be hard to come by sometimes and at 1/2 gram the pepsi-g is cheap insurance. Also clean dry socks and extra gloves in winter will always be in my pack. ClO2 backs up my filter and Stanley makes a really light tripod light that uses watch batteries which backs up my headlight. I think that's it.

BTW- has anybody seen the baseball cap w/built in light in brim? My buddy picked one up from Lowes. Forgot to ask how much he payed though it looked well made.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum