Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137404 - 08/08/10 10:21 PM Layering your clothes
LiteBear Offline

Loc: California
Looking into getting some new pieces for my closet, need a good wicking shirt, a fleece or two, and a good shell that's water/wind proof. Anyone have any suggestions? Also for sizing, I'm 6'2 165 with a 37inch chest, if you guys could help me out on finding the proper sizes that would be great, thanks in advance!

#137462 - 08/09/10 07:18 PM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: LiteBear]
LiteBear Offline

Also, I forgot to add a lot of the weather is in the highs of 80-90F, and a low of 30-50.
Thank you

#137466 - 08/09/10 09:23 PM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: LiteBear]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
In conditions like you describe I tend to hike in a poly running shirt, and pants and bring with me a wind/rain shell, 100 weight fleece, poly or wool thermal bottom, and two merino wool long sleeve shirts, and a fleece toque (hat). I am sure to keep the thermal bottom and the merino's dry to sleep in. I will put the fleece on and off during the day if I am moving or sitting, along with the shell.

YMMV.
Browse my pictures

#137480 - 08/09/10 10:57 PM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: phat]
LiteBear Offline

Thank you very much, I just got a micro fleece and a poly shirt online, just need a shell now. What I was worried about is the sizing, like I said I have a 37 inch chest, biit I still need room for layering underneath the shell. any help with that would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking of one of these two:
Columbia and Craghoppers
Thank you

#137482 - 08/09/10 11:42 PM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: LiteBear]
LiteBear Offline

Sorry, also This one

#137485 - 08/10/10 12:07 AM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: LiteBear]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Those are awfully heavy! Try to find a shell that is no more than 12-14 ounces, or less (340-400 grams). The purpose of the shell is to keep wind and rain out. A thicker one won't be warmer but will only weigh you down!

#137486 - 08/10/10 12:26 AM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: OregonMouse]
LiteBear Offline

Thank you very much for the info, any suggestions would really help out a lot. Thank you very much

#137490 - 08/10/10 11:00 AM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: LiteBear]
prone2wander Offline

Man I would only use those heavy jackets for a boat anchor.

For a shell I have been using a Marmot Essence at 7.2 oz size large. You should be able to go with a size medium easy. The Marmot Pika is similar. Most of the time my rain gear is in my pack but will use the shell on cool mornings.

Edited by prone2wander (08/10/10 11:03 AM)

#137491 - 08/10/10 11:56 AM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: LiteBear]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
If you have any sewing ability at all, or know someone who does, you can make your own wind shell. I have made two from 1.1 oz ripstop. One of them, a hooded, 1/2 zip pullover weighs 2.6 oz. The other is a full zip version, also hooded, with a chest pocket and two cargo pockets that weighs 4 oz. I also made a version of the full zip, pocketed one out of 1.8 oz ripstop, it weighs 6 oz and is probably a bit more robust. These were all adapted from the Green Pepper Oregon Jacket pattern. None of them cost me more than $30 to make. They are all sturdily but not elegantly sewn.

I carry a separate, store bought, hooded, WPB, 6 oz rain jacket for wet weather. When necessary, I wear the rain jacket with a set of silnylon rain-chaps and a short silnylon kilt.

#137493 - 08/10/10 03:45 PM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: LiteBear]

Lots of info about various layering options on Mark Verber's website. He gives a good overview ranging from the latest innovations to low budget options.

The ideal rain shell would be one made of eVENT or an equally breathable fabric, with pit zips and full zipper for more ventilation (even the most breathable fabric gets sweaty inside with exercise), weighing no more than 4 oz. and, of course, costing under $100. Since a jacket like this is definitely in the "unobtanium" class right now, most of us take the lightest we can get and can afford!

I personally haven't found Goretex any more breathable than plain old coated nylon, and my budget doesn't run to eVENT at this point. I therefore stick with the coated nylon (actually, silicone-impregnated nylon) when it's cold and just get wet when it's warm (making sure I put on an insulating layer plus rain jacket when I stop). Your Mileage May (and probably will) Vary. I just bought a Marmot Precip jacket for around home, but I haven't yet had it out in prolonged rain. I already found that I have the usual problem of getting too sweaty inside even with the pit zips open.

Unless you're going to be doing brush bashing or rock climbing, DriDucks is a highly breathable, lightweight, inexpensive solution for which many people opt. It isn't durable enough for anything off-trail, though. The front zipper stitching may need to be seam-sealed (test it in the shower).

You need to be sure you get something that is WaterProof and Breathable (WPB) rather than Durable Water Repellent (DWR). The latter may work for a light drizzle but definitely will not keep off prolonged rain.

#137499 - 08/10/10 04:39 PM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: OregonMouse]
LiteBear Offline

Thank you very much for the reply, tons of great info from you and the site! Gonna check out the DriDucks first, then the others as followed and I'll update with some of the ones I choose and I'll post them, so I could get some help on the final pick.
Thanks again for everything!

#137501 - 08/10/10 05:30 PM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: LiteBear]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
Hey, Litebear,

Most of the folks on this site are into light or ultralight hiking, so that's the sort of perspective you'll get here.

For warm weather layers (low temps above freezing, highs in the 70s or 80s), I hike in a short sleeve very light wool t-shirt and synthetic shorts with very light wool boxer briefs. (The wool is 150-weight merino -- never stinks, cool when it's warm and warm when it's cool. Not cheap, though.)

For a warm layer, I bring anything from a microfleece zip tee to a down pullover, depending on the expected low temps. For my legs I usually bring lightweight wool long john bottoms.

If it's cool or windy, I often hike in a light (<3 ounce) wind shirt, which makes a surprising difference in comfort, and is much more breathable than a rain shell. For a rain shell, the Marmot Precip jacket is great -- reasonably light, can be had for around $75 on sale, and has some great features. Not so good on breathability, but hey it's only $75. If the weather is going to be cold and wet, I bring rain pants, too.

Hope this helps. Have fun out there.

#137508 - 08/10/10 09:25 PM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: kbennett]
LiteBear Offline

Hi Kbennett, thank you for the information, helps to hear experiences. I was thinking of the PreCip , Aegis , the Aquanix , the BetaSL , the Revel And the Torrentshell
Thank you again!
-LIteBear

#137520 - 08/11/10 01:16 AM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: LiteBear]

For hiking/backpacking, you don't want your outer shell to contain any insulation--it should be strictly to keep the rain (and wind) off. Otherwise it will get too hot inside!

Several of these jackets are too heavy at 15 oz.

If you can afford $250 (the Arcteryx jacket), then check out the eVENT jackets at Integral Designs/Rab. Here is one for $240: Integral Designs jacket eVENT is far more breathable than Goretex. The Rab Momentum jacket is also made of eVENT. (RAB, a UK firm, recently bought Integral Designs.) Both brands are carried, often at a discount, by prolitegear.com

Edited by OregonMouse (08/11/10 01:28 AM)

#137522 - 08/11/10 02:30 AM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: OregonMouse]
LiteBear Offline

Thank you very much for the link, those are perfect! I'm gonna check out all the ones try offer, and post my selection.
Thank you again

-LiteBear

#137581 - 08/13/10 10:44 AM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: LiteBear]
tjn Offline

My own three-layer system is composed of a light weight polyester mix long sleeve shirt (any TNF undershirt for instance), a thicker weight fleece with some extra durability and DWR (a lot of good brands) and then a lightweight shell (such as the Arcteryx Beta SL). I love this combo, and they breathe well and are good for climbing from 8-14,000 ft and in a variety of temps (30-70 degrees).

#137636 - 08/14/10 01:54 PM Re: Layering your clothes [Re: tjn]
LiteBear Offline

Thank you for the reply, I think I'm gonna go for the Arcteyrx beta SL, or the eVent, but I'm feeling the beta a little bit more.

-LiteBear

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum