Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136563 - 07/19/10 11:09 PM the lightest camp shoe/flip flop
bmwrider Offline

Loc: Michigan, just N of detroit
I know it must have been asked before, I want the lightest camp footware for walking around camp, I don't want to make something though just want to know if there are any favorites out there.

I know alot of you don't use them and I don't most of the time but I go a few places where the ground sucks bare foot and I like to get out of my boots.

#136568 - 07/19/10 11:59 PM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: bmwrider]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We use crocs, and love them. Less than a pound in weight, and they serve as camp shoes, water shoes for wading a creek...and we even wear them in the car on the way home.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#136570 - 07/20/10 12:42 AM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: balzaccom]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I bought a pair of pac-boot felt liners for $2 at a factory outlet near my house. Then I cut them down to ankle-top height, and I put a pair of old insoles in them. The pair weighs 7.5 oz. They work ok. Biggest weakness is having rather thin soles.

#136571 - 07/20/10 01:00 AM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: balzaccom]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
If I take camp shoes, the brand is Waldies - another Crocs clone. Most of the time, I don't take camp shoes; my trail shoes are pretty comfortable, and I don't feel the need for separate shoes. I tend to take them mostly if I know I'll need something for wading; the use in camp is just a bonus.

My buddy always takes his Waldies, though.

Edited by Glenn (07/20/10 08:42 AM)

#136574 - 07/20/10 01:22 AM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: Glenn]
Tangohkr Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quark shoes are like Crocs only lighter. The lightest ones are around 3ish oz for each shoe. They are not as wide as Crocs (good for me)

#136576 - 07/20/10 07:07 AM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: balzaccom]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
+1 for Crocs. I wear socks at night so no flip-flops.

I do not wear boots. Trail runners with the insole removed work, but the Crocs are so nice.

This summer I forgot to pur my shoes on before taking my hammock down so just used Crocs to hike the three miles back to the car.

#136580 - 07/20/10 09:36 AM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: ringtail]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I don't normally carry a camp shoe - I do if I'm expecting a lot of beaches and a desire to do a lot of wading. Then I carry a pair of six dollar wal-mart croc clones.

the crocs are good for beach/wading stuff. if I just wanted a flip flop, (not for wading) there may be lighter options out there.

Browse my pictures

#136582 - 07/20/10 10:46 AM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: bmwrider]
frediver Offline

The problem I have with the Quarks and Flaps are the open sides than allow sand and pebbles in under my foot, ouch !
When I take camp shoes I take cheap canvas deck shoes or elastic topped water shoes like reef walkers or speedos.
These offer decent sole protection and prevent the pebbles getting between my foot and the shoes sole.

#136584 - 07/20/10 11:48 AM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: bmwrider]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
crocs with the closed toe to keep dirt out.

#136591 - 07/20/10 03:12 PM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: bmwrider]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I know you asked about camp shoes, but if you also want a serious lace-up camp shoe that will double for very secure wading and also work to actually walk out if your shoes get lost or fall apart, I have a pair of the lightest available running shoes. These are the specialized racing shoes (look on the internet on special running sites). My shoes (men's size 7) weigh 6.5 oz each shoe - or 13 oz. They were expensive (got them at Fleet Foot for about $70 years ago). If I take out the foot liner they weigh 12 oz. total - I hike in super-feet inserts, so use these when I wear them around camp. They actually have very roomy toe box. If you use them for wading you need to replace the cotton laces with laces that do not absorb water. I think some of these high-end shoes are even lighter now than when I bought mine about 6 years ago. I also have crocks, but take the running shoes if I anticipate really serious crossings. My crocks really are not comfortable enough to walk 10 miles.

#136596 - 07/20/10 05:43 PM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: frediver]
Tangohkr Offline

Quarks also have an enclosed front shoe, it's a little heavier. I got the ones that have 3 openings on each side of the shoe, I thought I would just duct tape them if needed. I wore them in Alaska with socks and they were pretty warm.

#136601 - 07/20/10 09:09 PM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: OldScout]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge

#136637 - 07/21/10 11:57 PM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: OregonMouse]
Tangohkr Offline

How cool are they!!! I could have used them in AK. I was going to take my goose down camp slippers but not waterproof. Thanks for the link!

#136640 - 07/22/10 01:06 AM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: bmwrider]
bmwrider Offline

Loc: Michigan, just N of detroit
thanks for the suggestions, I'm thinking of trying to see if crocs has anything other than the basic and off road that would be lighter.

#136642 - 07/22/10 10:00 AM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: bmwrider]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I have been taking my Waldies with me for yrs. Waldies are the original shoes before they became Crocs and the heel strap was added. They are perfect for wading creeks and will float if they come off. They sure beat my old pair of Teva sandals I had.

#136647 - 07/22/10 12:20 PM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: OregonMouse]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
OM, I tried the mesh shoes and they were terrible for me. Extremely flimsy and may be good around a flat pool area but the soles are so thin that every rock and pebble can be felt through the soles while camping. Also, the mesh allowed alot of dirt to get through.

#136649 - 07/22/10 02:18 PM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: OldScout]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Since I switched to trail runners for hiking, I wasn't going to take any camp shoes since the trail runners are so comfortable. Then I discovered that when I was crawling in and out of my tent at night, my trail runners really tore up the ground in front of my tent. I took the Sprint Aquatics to prevent that. I basically wore them only for the middle-of-the-night exits and entrances. If your hiking shoes are comfortable enough, you don't need camp shoes!

Now that I have switched to the Goose Feet, I'll be using the Sprint Aquatics shoes only in warm weather.

#136838 - 07/27/10 05:57 PM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: OregonMouse]
wildthing Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
They may not be the lightest, but the Teva Mush flip-flops weigh only 4oz and they are very comfortable with a snug fitting toe retainer and quite comfy foam base. They last well too, for the $25 pricetag.

http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.aspx?g=m&categoryID=&productID=6110&model=Mush Men's Mush

http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.aspx?g=&productID=6119&model=Mush Women's Mush

#136851 - 07/27/10 08:38 PM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: wildthing]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I have to agree with the Teva's. Lightweight and very comfortable. I have the Khavi's I believe they are called. But my old pair I bought for 20 bucks and lasted me for 4 years with a brutal beating. Both pairs comfortable and lightweight. Granted, I do not have a scale to weigh them out, I do know they are lighter than shoes and even my slippers.

#136856 - 07/27/10 08:59 PM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: OregonMouse]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think the Sprint Shoes you mentioned are the lightest of those mentioned so far. I just weighed my pair (size 13) and they weigh 1.8 ounces on my scale.

That's 1.8 ounces for the pair (i.e. less than 1 ounce per shoe).

#136928 - 07/29/10 03:30 PM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: bmwrider]
akluvitlivit Offline

Loc: Alaska
I'll have to throw in another vote for Crocs as a camp shoe. They are versatile enough for hanging around camp, crossing streams, etc. But the thing I like best is the durability and the weight. I just strap mine on the outside of my pack and I don't even realize they are there.

#136996 - 07/30/10 02:12 PM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: akluvitlivit]
DirkJan Offline

Loc: Driebergen, Netherlands
I always take my Vibram FiveFingers. They may not be as cheap (120 euro for KSO) as Crocs and such, but they do keep all the branches and such out (KSO-version (KeepStuffOut, doh :P)) and are lovely to wear.

They do weigh about 300 grams, but I wouldn't want to wear anything else smile (You can even use them on smaller and less rough tramping tracks, and there are people actually quite some who always use them for hiking, but I prefer more stability...)
I wear them at home whole the time, when I'm not barefoot wink

If you want something lighter you could check out ultralight running shoes, they come in from around 100 grams.

(http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/)

#137388 - 08/08/10 05:27 PM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: DirkJan]
prone2wander Offline

I have a pair of soccer slides by Hurley that have a big ole ugly silver H in the middle of the vamp which I cut out. They weighed 8.2 oz for a pair of mens 11, 8.1 after I cut out the H grin. If you live in the south I found them at Academy for about $25 I think. Not near as comfortable as Crocs though.

#138400 - 09/05/10 12:37 AM Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop [Re: OregonMouse]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I just returned from a backpack trip where I used the Sprint Aquatics as inserts for my running shoes. Worked great.

I removed the inserts that came with the shoes before inserting the Sprints.

I placed the Sprints upside down so the mesh wouldn't rub against my feet.

Don't have to remember where you put the Sprints when you need them. They are in your shoes.

#138465 - 09/07/10 07:59 PM Sprint Aquatics [Re: bmwrider]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
Re the sprint aquatics mesh shoes: my experience is that they are pretty good wading shoes - good traction on the rocks ans just enough foot protection to get me across the creek - but as camp shoes, not so good. The fit is such that I couldn't get them on with any socks on my feet ( and I have very low-volume, flat feet) and the mesh lets in any and all dust, dirt and sand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum