Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136921 - 07/29/10 12:18 PM Yikes--Yellowstone region bear fatality
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Yellowstone area grizzly fatality

Mama not raising the young'ns right. Sheesh.

Edited by Rick_D (07/29/10 02:39 PM)

#136949 - 07/29/10 05:37 PM Re: Yikes--Yellowstone region bear fatality [Re: Rick_D]
akluvitlivit Offline

Loc: Alaska
What a tragedy... And as for the survivors, how terrifying that situation must have been for them. Considering my location, when I am in a tent, I am in serious bear country almost all of the time. I'd be lying if I said the thought of something like this possibly happening to me or someone I know had never crossed my mind.

#137011 - 07/30/10 08:26 PM Re: Yikes--Yellowstone region bear fatality [Re: akluvitlivit]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I saw Jack Hanna talking about this. He said the bears would come back and sure enough, they did. The rangers caught the mom and two cubs; one got away.

I sawa another story about him using bear spray to fight off a cub that attacked him and his wife a short while ago. He had one of those big cans of what looked like Counter Assault. He said he had to spray the bear 3 times, the last as close as 10 feet.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/07/28/earlyshow/main6720870.shtml

Edited by TomD (07/30/10 08:36 PM)

#137015 - 07/30/10 09:21 PM Re: Yikes--Yellowstone region bear fatality [Re: TomD]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
They seem to have gotten the third cub and have euthanized the mother. The cubs may go to zoos--evidently momma taught them too much about preying on humans. Story

#137039 - 07/31/10 05:22 PM Re: Yikes--Yellowstone region bear fatality [Re: Rick_D]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
This seems to be one of those exceptionally rare instances where someone successfuly used bear spray against a bear. Its good to know that it might work against a large male griz. I have camped in the wilds of alaska, along the 40 mile river in Dawson country, and along the Kenai Penn. The bears out there are as big as pickup trucks... When something that big is sniffing around your tent at night you lay real still... smile
And the idea of unzipping the door and turning on a flashlight just doesn't seem reasonable, then what? I know its a gun safety violation but in Alaska I slept with my rifle next to me with a full magazine and one chambered. The chambered one was questionable but necesary for quiet operation. I'm glad I never had to shoot a bear. The Alaskans prefer a .44 6 shooter because it saves bears as you can wait for the bear to be at point blank range before you have to shoot so if it stops its charge say ten feet away, it lives, and so do you. Other Alaskans say a even a large caliber powerful rifle is not much insurance. I think your body language and fear are really major constituents of how any bear responds to you. And a secret - the bears I have encountered hate the landslide sound - a rock banging down. So pick up a rock, a big one, and instead of throwing it at the bear, throw it down hard at your feet, and I'll bet you the bear backs off, especially if you hit your toe and scream and dance for him.
Jim YMMV

#137064 - 08/01/10 10:21 PM Re: Yikes--Yellowstone region bear fatality [Re: Jimshaw]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
lol, sorry to laugh at your painful story there Kev. A good one at that. Its amazing how potent capsacian is.

I have only come in contact with black bears and they are pretty timid. Its definitely true to make lots of noise and make yourself seem a lot bigger than you really are. Now with a grizzly, I would love to think I could keep my calm, but jeez, a pick up truck with talons, idk it sure would be tough.

#137067 - 08/01/10 11:00 PM Re: Yikes--Yellowstone region bear fatality [Re: Rick_D]
Mike1239 Offline

Was hiking around Bozeman about a week ago. Would probably go again in a second. Bears scare me, but a thunderstorm moved through, with lightning, and you should have seen some of the driving of the people I was with. In the lower 48 at least, and perhaps Alaska as well, hypothermia is perhaps a more reasonable fear. Bears are very spectacular, but I do not think they are the biggest threat.

Was talking to an old gentleman who had spent a lot of time outdoors and I believe was volunteering for the Forest Service in the Wind River Range when I ran in to him last time I backpacked there. He said there had been 30 fatalities to moose in theat area in the last 75 years and one to a grizzly. Granted, I don't know that that was grizzly country at the time, but my point is there are other, albeit less spectacular, dangers in the wilderness and lets not get too caught up in bears. Friend's brother died snowmobiling in that region. Probably never made the news much. May have had a heart attack, though.

Hiked with my cousins husband who grew up in Billings. He's never seen a bear of any kind on the trail in his life.

#137137 - 08/03/10 07:07 AM Re: Yikes--Yellowstone region bear fatality [Re: Mike1239]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
You've got it. Death by bear is a spectacular, news attentive way to exit, but we are more likely to croak from falls, drowning, or weather extremes. Bees kill many more people than bears.

#137190 - 08/03/10 10:47 PM Re: Yikes--Yellowstone region bear fatality [Re: oldranger]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Amen.

I hike in grizzly country all the time. I meet them semi-frequently. I carry bear spray, I give them their space.

I worry a *lot* more (and had a close call coming back from a hike in jasper last night) about the lunatics on the road driving to and from the trailhead than I do bears. If hiking kills me, odds are it will be in my car getting to or from it.

Does that mean I don't take proper bear precautions? No, of course I do. but that's as much to protect the bear as it is me.

Browse my pictures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum