Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136357 - 07/15/10 01:04 PM Personal Health Regimen
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Jim Shaw's post, "trust your MD?" and midnightsun03's response, and Pika's post, "I hope I can get it back!" got me to thinking that it might be beneficial to discuss our personal health regimens here. We might all benefit from learning from each other.

Mine is pretty simple. I don't really do any type of physical training with weights or exercise machines. I do physical labor, hike, and swim to keep in shape.

I take two packets of "Emergen-C" every morning. And I try to take a tablespoon of raw honey every morning too. Since doing this my wife and I haven't had a serious cold or flu, but every year all of our neighbors have.

I watch what I eat now pretty close. I did learn that Nitrates were causing me some problems with waking up at night coughing. As soon as I read about a link between lung problems and nitrates I cut them out and the problem went away.

Last year I relearned here (from phat, I think) that it was a lack of salt in my diet that was contributing to my leg cramps at night. This happened during times of extreme heat. I really should have known that, but I never had them before a couple years ago and hadn't made the connection until it was brought up here.

I don't go to doctors for every little hiccup I experience. I've learned to give my body a rest when it needs it and, for the most part, it does pretty good to heal itself.

Finally, stretches and massages, I think, do a lot to maintain health too. I was feeling especially crappy earlier this year after working hard in the garden and yard for a few weeks. After getting a deep tissue massage from my wife one night I felt amazingly better the next morning, and still do (I might be about ready for another now though wink.

Knocking on wood, I'll say that my health is pretty good, but I am interested in what is working for others too, and how you've dealt with issues that have come up.

"You want to go where?"

#136362 - 07/15/10 03:48 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: billstephenson]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm 65 and retired for 8 years now. I work on house and in the yard and garden for a couple of hours a day and spend a couple of hours a day at the gym. Two light beers a day,good nutrition, social life, pets and stress reduction have kept me helathy enough to hit the trails whenever I want.

Herniated a disc in my back about 2 years ago that set me back some. That seems to be behind me now, however, and I'm as good as I was but more cautious.

#136368 - 07/15/10 05:27 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: DJ2]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
I have been exceptionally healthy for the last several years, and I'm not entirely sure what to credit because the only thing I've really changed is my marital status. I am MUCH happier now than I used to be. Coincidentally, despite working in a petrie dish - a/k/a the Emergency Department - I have been amazingly healthy even when my seasoned co-workers were catching every bug that went around. I did get mild versions of a couple of stomach bugs (hard to avoid), but I can't remember the last cold I had that took me completely out of the game. I'm not a vitamin popper either. Every once in a while I take a B-Complex, but not a multi-vitamin. If I've been exposed to something I'll often top off my A-C-E vitamins, zinc occassionally, etc. My big bugaboo are my electrolytes. For whatever reason I can't seem to keep my potassium levels up naturally, so I usually drink a Zipfizz every day, especially when I'm doing alot of exercising. I also struggle with my magnesium and calcium. The Cal is easy to supplement, but the magnesium makes me nauseated, so I'm still trying to figure that one out. But I do notice it in my nervous system when I'm depleted on both the Cal and the Mag.

Honestly, I think the biggest key for me is really knowing my body very very well. I had a long period in my life (previously discussed) when I was terribly sick and nobody could figure out what was wrong, so I spent a TON of time doing research and really learning about cause and effect, my symptoms, standard diagnosis and differential diagnosis. I know my body so well now that when something starts to get out of whack I know immediately and can alter my behavior to bring it back in line. Apparently this is working for me, because despite the extraordinarily stressful events I've just gone through (2 weeks after applying to school I was accepted and had 3 weeks to quit my job, empty out my condo, leave all my friends and loved ones behind, and move from AK to NC with nothing but the 2 pieces of luggage the airline allowed), the only consequence has been a flare up of a chronic neurological condition I have (brachialplexitis) caused by my stress hormones depleting my Ca and Mg reserves. A co-worker of mine was also moving out of state at the same time with similar stress levels, and she ended up with pneumonia.

Oh... my Celiac does require me to eat relatively healthy... I can't eat 95% of the fast food out there, or any quick and easy meals off the shelf. Fresh meats, grains and vegetables are my staples, so that helps alot too, I'm sure.

My vice is rum and red wine.

MNS

#136412 - 07/16/10 11:40 AM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: billstephenson]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I'm in my 70's and have been retired for nearly 20 years. I have made an effort to stay healthy and fit since I got out of the Army in the early 60's and have been at it long enough that my diet and fitness regime are more of a habit than a daily chore.

I have, with time out for injuries and general sloth, maintained a relatively strenuous fitness routine since my army days. My first priority has always been, and still is, to maintain a good level of aerobic fitness. In my active hiking and climbing days, I was out almost every other weekend from late-April through October. I am nowhere near that active now and prefer longer trips when I do get out.

To maintain my aerobic base between hiking and climbing trips, or during the winter, I run, cycle, row or play squash and handball. I have always tried to vary the activity to minimize boredom. I schedule at least an hour of aerobic activity 5-6 days per week. I try to reach at least 75% of my MHR on most days but only 65% of my MHR on the long, slow days. I use a heart rate monitor to gauge my effort.

I have also kept up a weight training routine over the years. My objective here has been to maintain some upper-body strength and to keep my legs strong. I never worked at "bulking up" with weights; I have never seen much point in developing muscles just for display.

Until my recent bike/car accident, I was cycling at least an hour a day, 5 days per week. I was also walking 2-6 miles per day 5 days per week and doing a mild upper-body and leg strength routine with weights 2 days per week. I am currently about half way back to that regimen.

My diet is nothing exceptional. I am not a vegetarian of any stripe nor do I subscribe to raw food or organic-only meals. I try to keep my food fairly low on the glycemic index but am not obsessive about it. I will occasionally eat a bag of potato chips, enjoy it immensely and feel no subsequent guilt.

For over 35 years I abstained from drinking anything alcoholic. But, recently, I have been enjoying a glass or two of wine before dinner.

Because I am prone to migraine headaches, I have to screen my diet to avoid migraine triggers. For me these include MSG and nitrites. Fortunately, coffee does not seem to be a trigger because I am a caffeine addict. I don't need a lot of caffeine but that that I need, I need.

I also take a multivitamin every day.

#140509 - 10/15/10 06:43 AM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: billstephenson]
midnightsun03 Offline

In light of Rionda's thread about recovering from an overuse injury in the "Over The Hill" category I thought I'd reawaken this thread here, because keeping physicially fit is one of the best ways to stave off overuse injuries from backpacking.

I haven't had any time to backpack, so I've recently changed my fitness focus to different goals. In the process I'm finding alot about how my body responds to sudden exercise. Ahem. Anyway... after my long drive to NC I noticed that my hips were so sore I could barely move, so I resumed the daily 3 mile walk routine I'd had all summer, and added more distance as I started to feel better. After spending a week wearing a lead apron and realizing how quickly that exhausted me, I started adding my weight vest to my walks. I think I walked with weights (8 pounds) for a couple of weeks before I decided to try running again. To my surprise, when I started running my joints did not hurt at all! Normally when I run my hips, knees ankles and shins hurt from the impact (even with my new shoes that were supposed to minimize that). I really think the weight bearing exercise helped prepare my body, so I'm glad I added that in. I thought I would offer it here as a suggestion for people wanting to stay in backpacking shape between trips. I got my weight vest at Wal-Mart for under $50 and currently have 12 pounds of weight in it. I use it on days when I don't feel like running but I know I need to keep the exercise routine up.

My new focus right now is triathalon training (no, not iron man, but short 3-sport sprints), so I've added swimming and biking to the mix as well. Hill climbing on my bike has been great, especially for cardio. Swimming I just started yesterday, but I can tell it is going to really help me gain strength and cardio as well. I'm amazed at how hard it is to get back into really good cardio condition - I've been working on it for over a year now and I still have a long way to go!

Does anybody else train for other sports or maintain a regular exercise routine that helps with the hiking?

MNS

#140525 - 10/15/10 11:23 AM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: midnightsun03]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
I don't have to train - I just keep trying to keep up with my boys and that keeps me reasonably fit. In fact some parts have a tendancy to get overused - like my baseball elbow.

#140541 - 10/15/10 11:12 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: midnightsun03]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I'll be 54 this December. At 6'4" and 195lbs I've actually shrunk since I've been a teenager. My "exercise program" is essentially a maintenance regime. What I've found out these last four years is that if I can do a minimum of 1.5 hours of hard cardio at least five days a week, my cholesterol drops from 220 total to around 190 with an excellent hdl/ldl ratio. I tried diet and moderate exercise prior to this for around 5 months with minimal success. This enlightenment occurred after we picked up a german shorthair pointer pup (now almost 4). As it turned out, the key ingredient for that relationship to work was exercise (and training). So,the pup and I started putting on miles in the local open space park. For the last two years Tica and I put on 5 to 8 miles up and down local mountains at least 5 days a week come rain or shine. Luckily, it usually doesn't rain much in San Diego. Much of the time we start before the sun comes up. I carry 10 to 12 pounds in a light backpack when I go.

The other parts of the program include stretching and physical therapy for some problem body parts. But, probably the biggest change has been in my diet and the amount I eat. My goal is to get to 185 pounds...I can feel my weight in certain parts of my body and as I slowly loose weight these periods of pain have become less frequent. Having a regime you can stick to is the key, whatever it is and this seems to work for me. Surfing and swimming is something I've done since I was a kid but that is out now while I rehab my shoulder. Getting old sucks. Glad I can still get into the backcountry!

A PS is (reference to jimshaw) that I don't trust my doctors all that much. They seemed way to hot to get me on Lipitor (tm) rather than try anything else. This made me very determined to drop my cholesterol by any other reasonable means.

Edited by skcreidc (10/15/10 11:18 PM)
Edit Reason: added jimshaw reference

#140543 - 10/16/10 09:27 AM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: skcreidc]
midnightsun03 Offline

Originally Posted By skcreidc
A PS is (reference to jimshaw) that I don't trust my doctors all that much. They seemed way to hot to get me on Lipitor (tm) rather than try anything else. This made me very determined to drop my cholesterol by any other reasonable means.
You know, don't be too hard on your doc wink - you are an exception to their rule that most patients would rather take a pill than do anything to modify their lifestyle or diet.

Dogs can definitely be great for making an excuse for exercise. Personally, I feel guilty when I have a dog and don't take them out for a hike or run. I don't have one myself, but I used to borrow my son's dog (who lives with his father) whenever I went hiking.

MNS

#140551 - 10/16/10 01:11 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: midnightsun03]
rionada Offline

Im married to a doctor, and I'm with Jim.

Most doctors (IMO - and I've met lots of them) are in their profession not because they are naturally gifted healers, but instead because the money is good and the position has high social prestige.

A good doctor (good healer) is the exception, not the rule.

#140557 - 10/16/10 05:38 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: billstephenson]
NorthTxHillbilly Offline

Loc: North Central Texas
Plenty of German beer or bourbon and a good helping of meat everyday is what I recommend.

As far as doctors, I try to avoid them. I don't like the idea of them "practicing medicine" on me. If they're still practicing, they must not be very good at what they're doing!

On a serious note, in my small area of Texas (and probably elsewhere as well) there have been doctors who have over prescribed xanax and hydrocodone to the point that a large portion of the local population is walking around like the living dead. I even had a friend with a malignant tumor on his spine that went undiagnosed for over a year because the absolutely horrible doctors in this area just assumed he was another junkie looking for a scrip and sent him home with a prescription for pain pills he didn't even want after talking to him/evaluating his condition for all of 3 minutes. He eventually died from it.

It got so bad around here that word eventually got out and some of the quack doctors were arrested and a couple were just fined. But due to the backlash over the pillfreaks, another friend of mine was denied pain medication when his shoulder was seperated. When the doctor tried popping it back into place and it wouldn't go, my friend asked for a pain shot. The doctor snidely replied that he didn't need one, just deal with it. My friend got up and walked out of the emergency room and said he'd go to another hospital. He went down the road to Gainesville, Tx and they eventually gave him a shot and popped it back into place. But only after arguing with the doctor and nurses there for several hours. Turns out the doctor from the first hospital called the second one and told them he was coming and he was just a doper looking for a high. He finally convinced the second doctor that he hadn't just yanked his shoulder out of its socket for fun and got it taken care of. But permanent damage was done due to the length of time the shoulder was seperated. Good news is that the first doc lost his job. My buddies sister-in-law has a close relative on the hospital board. But things are messed up around here because of the downerheads.

#140562 - 10/16/10 06:31 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: NorthTxHillbilly]
rionada Offline

Ah, doctor bashing. Such low hanging fruit.

I'm glad my wife doesn't read these threads. But, then again - she's one of the good ones. No, really.

Edited by rionada (10/16/10 06:32 PM)

#140566 - 10/16/10 07:49 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: rionada]
midnightsun03 Offline

It's also thread drift... sigh... there is another thread about doctors (the one JimShaw started a while back) if folks want to continue on that line. Otherwise, can we get back on topic please?

Thanks...

MNS

#140604 - 10/17/10 07:53 AM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: NorthTxHillbilly]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
If you only consult a physician when you have an acute problem, you are not using medical expertise in the best way. I have the very good fortune to have been seeing the same doc for over twenty-five years on a routine basis. He has a good baseline on me, and he thoroughly understands my priorities in life style and health care. It doesn't hurt that he is one competent dude and I have certainly contributed by trying to follow a healthy lifestyle and diet. It really is a partnership kind of thing.

It has paid off for me in the quick and easy resolution of prostate cancer a few years ago, and in catching a serious heart condition in time just recently.

#140618 - 10/17/10 11:56 AM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: oldranger]
NorthTxHillbilly Offline

Okay, I'm done trashing doctors. As far as my personal health regimen, I actually do eat pretty healty, very little packaged/processed food, and a lot of garden fresh veggies, free range beef and wild game. I also remain pretty active hunting and fishing and taking care of all of the usual stuff that goes with living on a farm. I don't do vitamins or supplements, I guess its a phobia I have, but a friend of mine messed himself up pretty good from taking too many supplements.

I haven't had a physical in several years, but then again, I haven't been ill/injured (knock on wood) in several years either. So I guess if that qualifies as only seeking medical attention when i have an acute illness, I'm guilty as charged. But hey, I don't have insurance and can't afford insurance, so I guess I'm like millions of other folks. If its a choice between going to the doctor just for checkups and giggles even though I feel fine or replacing the treadbare tires on my truck, I'm gonna choose the latter. I am only 31, so as my age catches up with me I'm sure my body will be more likely to "need repairs" every so often. Hopefully I can afford it by then.

#140621 - 10/17/10 12:04 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: midnightsun03]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I don't have anything like a "plan" - I probably should.

I usually cycle to work spring->fall - I stop around september because it's not light early enough and I just hate cycling to work in the dark.

I play hockey in the winter, but should do more then.

I usually crank up the cycling regime in the spring to make sure I have legs and lungs for hiking wink I know I did that this year before doing a 150km yoyo on vancouver island in the spring and I'm sure that helped me a lot.
Browse my pictures

#140623 - 10/17/10 12:17 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: phat]
NorthTxHillbilly Offline

I really need to tune up my mountain bike. There's supposedly a great mountain biking area about 15 minutes from me called "The Breaks at Bar H Ranch" and I've never even been there. I used to ride a lot, I need to get back at it.

#140641 - 10/17/10 06:44 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: oldranger]
skcreidc Offline

I do see a physician once a year for a checkup. I can tell MY doctor is a good guy, but I do not trust the other guy that I get when my dr. is unavailable. Now I am just complaining midnightsun03 because I am not sure as to what to do. I had blood tests done 3 times one year before my cholesterol "problem" was fixed. When I came in the last time (and had great results), my doctor, the one I like, didn't remember my previous results. Instead, he told me how lucky I was to have good genes! To be honest, I don't blame the doctors so much as I blame the system. My old doctor, from before health plans, would have remembered. At this point I feel it is up to me to be aware of what my body is telling me, do regular checkups, and eat healthy(er).

oldranger, don't change physicians! It sounds like you have a good working relationship with him. Maybe that is what I need to look for.

#140643 - 10/17/10 08:36 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: skcreidc]
midnightsun03 Offline

Originally Posted By skcreidc
To be honest, I don't blame the doctors so much as I blame the system. My old doctor, from before health plans, would have remembered. At this point I feel it is up to me to be aware of what my body is telling me, do regular checkups, and eat healthy(er).

If only everyone was so aware! We also have to advocate for ourselves... if we feel something is wrong and the first doc won't listen, don't give up. The system has made alot of doctors disillusioned about their profession, and as another poster pointed out, jaded in their response toward patients. There have been tremendous advances in medicine - especially the interventions that are now possible - but basic doctoring (i.e. listening to the patient and respecting what they have to say) has been eroded away by people abusing the system.

Anyway, point being, we really do need to be aware of our health, what our numbers are (Blood pressure, and lab tests like cholesterol and PSA [for men]) what they mean, and what alternatives (if any) can be tried before taking medication.

MNS

#140647 - 10/17/10 08:59 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: midnightsun03]
oldranger Offline

Well said. You nailed it.

#140679 - 10/18/10 11:31 AM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: midnightsun03]
NorthTxHillbilly Offline

Originally Posted By midnightsun03
Anyway, point being, we really do need to be aware of our health, what our numbers are (Blood pressure, and lab tests like cholesterol and PSA [for men]) what they mean, and what alternatives (if any) can be tried before taking medication.

My mother used to be an EMT, and she has a lot of medical equipment laying around her house. A few months back she took my blood pressure just for the heck of it. I don't remember the reading, but she was actually somewhat surprised at how good it was. As far as a PSA, I don't know what that is. A prostate exam maybe? I've never had one. Hopefully by the time I'm 40 they'll figure out a better way to do that test!

#140688 - 10/18/10 01:16 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: NorthTxHillbilly]
skcreidc Offline

NorthTxHillbilly... all I can say is, Dude! The rubber glove is nothing. Wait till they scope your colon without putting you out! That was the MOST uncomfortable 10 min I have ever spent. Next time I'm telling them to put me under and do the whole thing. Least they won't have to listen to me wimper. Least its only every five years.

See Ya later...its back to the back country travel topics!

#140719 - 10/18/10 06:18 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: NorthTxHillbilly]
oldranger Offline

Believe me, there is a prostate (exams) in your future! The PSA is a blood test (Prostate Specific Antigen, I believe). A low number is good - a high number, or a number that increases over time, is bad. I much prefer having my blood drawn to the traditional prostate exam, but a competent doc will do both. See what you have to look forward to?

They probably will figure out a better way to screen for cancerous prostates, but you can bet it won't be cheap!

#140721 - 10/18/10 06:35 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: NorthTxHillbilly]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
PSA is an acronym for a protein called prostate specific antigen. For many males as they age, the prostrate enlarges and restricts the urethra, a malady known as BPH (benign prostate hypertrophy). This is the cause of frequent urination, inability to empty the bladder and a constant feeling of the need to urinate in old guys. At home, these symptoms are merely annoying; in a tent on a rainy night the symptoms are beyond annoying and are one reason for a lot of older male backpackers carrying a bottle in which to pee at night.

A man's PSA level will increase gradually as the prostate enlarges with age but will normally not exceed 3-4. The PSA level in a young male is generally 2 or less. A sudden increase in PSA or values above age-normal can indicate the presence of a tumor. A good physician will always do both a PSA screen and a digital exam. If any suspicion arises from these procedures, then a needle biopsy is ordered to evaluate the biopsy material for prostate cancer.

#140734 - 10/18/10 08:04 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: Pika]
oldranger Offline

The good news about all this is that cancer is often detected early, and that means you have better odds of a good result and lots of treatment options.

#140786 - 10/19/10 12:37 PM Re: Personal Health Regimen [Re: skcreidc]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
The American Cancer Society issued revised guidelines for Prostrate screening earlier this year. It's worth looking into what's changed and why, and learning more about the test and cancers themselves.

It's very important to understand that "Not all prostate cancers need treatment. Treatment for prostate cancer may have risks and side effects, including urinary incontinence, erectile dysfunction or bowel dysfunction."

"You want to go where?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 78 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum