Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134810 - 06/07/10 01:50 PM Granite Gear Escape AC 60
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I just received this pack; what follows is a quick and dirty review, lifted from an email I sent my hiking buddy. (The remarks about the Exos and Atmos packs are good-natured ribbing we give each other, and are not intended as trashing those packs. He uses an Atmos 50 and is familiar with the Exos series, though he hasn't switched over yet. I thought leaving the references in might help readers visualize the Escape features.)

Hi, Mike:

The Escape AC60 pack came today. It’s more of a rust than RED, so that’s a plus. I had just enough time at lunch to give it a five-minute inspection, load my gear into it quickly (which means weight distribution may need tweaked a bit), and put it on over my work clothes; I haven’t played with the adjustable torso yet, and I haven’t taken it for a walk.

It’s rated for 35 pounds, though I can’t see myself ever needing to carry more than 25. It’s advertised as weighing 3 pounds, 2 ounces. I didn’t have time to get it onto a scale, but I lifted it in one hand, and my Nimbus Ozone (3 pounds, 3 ounces, by my scale) in the other – they felt pretty equal.

Based strictly on the initial quck loading and wearing, this thing may just be a real keeper. The foam is more like the foam on the Exos hipbelt, in that it’s about the same thickness (maybe ¼” to ½”?) and has some holes (“Air Currents” – thus the AC) bored in it. The thin, solid sheet of foam has lots of little nubbies on top of it to keep it from resting flat on your back. (Unlike the Exos/Atmos, there’s actually foam there, not just a picture of foam.) wink The whole thing is covered with light material that’s very much like the no-see-um mesh on a tent; unlike the Exos/Atmos, it covers the foam snugly rather than being a tensioned, external-frame style backband. REI’s website has a good view of it. It should work just as well as the Vapor Trail/Nimbus Ozone when I use it as a pad extender at night. The framesheet is molded and shaped, fairly stiff (it may have a metal stay, though I can’t swear to it from my initial brief inspection) and seems to fit my back very, very well indeed.

The straps came set in the longest configuration, and it seems to be fine (maybe a bit long – my pants belt may be keeping it from settling in like it should.) The shoulder straps follow my shoulders properly, and the load lifters come off at a 25 or 30 degree angle – which seems to be about standard for Granite Gear packs. I may need to set the torso one setting shorter; we’ll see. It will be easy to do: remember the old Coleman packs, with the buckle that slipped in and out of slots in the frame? Same deal here.

As far as features: it has a zippered hydration sleeve inside the pack – no bungees-on-an-open-sleeve to snag gear as you load it in or remove it. I’m thinking it might be a nice spot to fold and slide my NeoAir into for packing, eliminating a stuff sack. The top pocket is huge, split by a left-to-right center zipper (instead of being at the low end of the pocket) – it holds my rather oversized first aid kit, my full roll of toilet paper, and my repair kit, with enough room left over for some other stuff, like keys, wallet, gloves, or hat. The lid is both floating and detachable, and there are a couple of webbing loops on the underside that would suggest it can be attached to the hipbelt (or at least a piece of wide, flat webbing with a buckle) to make a fanny pack; I haven’t played with that feature yet, and may never do so.

There are two flat side pockets, like the Vapor Trail/Nimbus Ozone, but made of Cordura and not stretchy neoprene. One holds my Dromlite, the other holds my map and compass. Each pocket still has the little cutout corner, I assume to drain water; it might also leak little items like knives; I won’t have a problem with it, since I carry my map and compass in an envelope-style zippered stuff sack. On top of each side pocket, there is a water bottle pocket of stretchy neoprene. It holds a quart Nalgene bottle, but just barely – if the shockcorded top were an inch longer, it would be perfect. I found it secures above the neck of the bottle if I load the water bottle in before loading the pack; otherwise, the bottle doesn’t always slide below the cuff, which raises a remote possibility that it might pop out on the trail. That’s a minor nit, though, and more than offset by the fact that you can reach the pocket easily to get your bottle and to put it away. There’s a pocket on each side; I put my water bottle on one side and the water filter on the other.

There’s also a large back pocket, running vertically down the pack, with a small pocket below it to hold the pack cover. I’ve got my rain gear in the large pocket, where it fits perfectly, with a tiny bit of extra space (maybe enough for my Houdini windbreaker?) There are six lashing loops , 3 per side, on the side seams of the pocket. These could be used to lash additional gear on, though I’d never need to do so – the interior holds all my gear, with plenty of room to spare. I shouldn’t have any trouble carrying four days of food, plus down jacket, pants, booties and mittens, when we go to W. Virginia (assuming an early fall.) There are two tool loops at the bottom of the pack – but no corresponding loops at the top. They are in a direct line with the lashing loops, though, so it would be very easy to use a small cord loop to make a top loop to hold the tools in place. (This isn’t an issue for me, since I’ve never used tool loops. On the few occasions I’ve carried my hiking poles on my pack, I’ve always used the side compression straps to hold them.)

The hipbelt is the standard Granite Gear hipbelt – except they’ve added some nice webbing loops for attaching things. (Chalk bags? Waistbelt pockets? Camera or glasses cases? Time will tell.) Of course, the hipbelt has the side stabilizer straps, and the shoulder straps have load lifter straps. Hipbelt and shoulder straps are the standard, well-padded (but not excessively so), comfortable variety.

The Line-loc compression system (cordage, instead of webbing) that worked so poorly on the Exos packs we tried seems to work better on this pack. I’m not sure, but I think it’s a bit larger diameter cord, and perhaps a bit less elastic. The buckles that close the lid over the pack are small and light, fitting the cord well, but seem adequate and easy to use. All the compression points are sewn to Cordura panels, not to silnylon, and seem to be quite strong.

This is a step away from the minimalist approach Granite Gear has taken with its previous “ultralight” packs like the Vapor Trail and Nimbus Ozone, whose only nod to “features” was the stretchy side pocket. It’s truly a nice pack; I’ll let you know how it works after I’ve used it on this week’s 12-mile Scout hike, carrying about 19 pounds.

Glenn

#134815 - 06/07/10 05:59 PM Re: Granite Gear Escape AC 60 [Re: Glenn]
lori Offline

Is the framesheet with the adjustability the same as the topoflex on the Nimbus packs, with shoulder strap attachments (screws to fasten) at one inch intervals and the narrow/wide option? Or is it like the Deuter/North Face adjustable frames with velcro and sliding adjuster?

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#134819 - 06/07/10 08:45 PM Re: Granite Gear Escape AC 60 [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

It's not like either one.

It's a fairly stiff framesheet (I haven't been able to determine whether there's a stay in it or not) with slots in it at about 1" increments; each shoulder strap (connected by the carry loop) has a rectangular, flat buckle on the end that slips through the slot, then rotates to lie flat against the inside of the framesheet (kind of a "tab A into slot B" thing.)

Granite Gear does show an Escape 60 Ki on its website (use the drop down menu on the home page, and go onto the sideways drop-down under ultralight packs to find it; there's no listing for it if you just click on ultralight packs - appears to be a website error.) The Ki series packs are women specific. I don't know whether that means narrower shoulder straps and spacing or not. For whatever it's worth, I don't have particularly broad shoulders, and they fit me very well.

You must be one of the younger folks on the forum - Coleman used to use a similar tab-and-slot system on its molded external frame series (though, as one of the older folks, I can no longer remember its name!) grin

I'll add a post, or edit my original post, after the trip this weekend, and let you know how it performs.

#134877 - 06/08/10 10:57 PM Re: Granite Gear Escape AC 60 [Re: Glenn]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

The Coleman was the Peak 1 frame.

Do you want a picture of one. I happen to have one in the garage.

I guess that makes me old. Today I feel it.

#134888 - 06/09/10 08:12 AM Re: Granite Gear Escape AC 60 [Re: Tango61]
Glenn Offline

Yeah, Peak 1 - that was it. I think they had a couple of different models, one green, one a brickish red. My son had one; I was too much of a purist: Camp Trails Adjustable II.

Ah, the good old days. Well, the old days, anyhow. Given the gear we have now, I think THESE are the good old days!

#135100 - 06/13/10 08:45 PM Re: Granite Gear Escape AC 60 [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

Just got home from my first weekend with the Escape pack. It performed flawlessly: it didn't slip down, and it carried the load very comfortably - a couple of rest stops, I forgot to take it off. The padding is just enough to be comfortable, and the torso adjusted to a perfect length. The feature set was perfect: everything was just where it was most useful.

The framesheet conformed well to my back, and didn't twist or flex under a load. The padding was not as thick as other Granite Gear packs, but it's more of a closed-cell foam than an open-cell foam, so it doesn't have to be as thick to give equal comfort. And it is as comfortable as any of the other Granite Gear packs I've ever used. I can't comment on the "Aircurrent" ventilation - I was hiking in 85-degree heat, with 80% humidity (except when it was actually raining.) Under such conditions, my back has always been wet, regardless of what pack I used (including the old external frame packs, with the drum-tight mesh backbands that held the bag away from your back.) It wasn't any hotter than any other pack.

The only flaw I noticed was that, if I turned the pack so the water bottle pocket pointed downward, the bottle fell out if it was full (stupid gravity!) - so I learned not to spin or twirl it.

It also worked well as a pad extender at night.

I'm really pleased with this pack.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum