Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134835 - 06/08/10 03:11 AM Does environmentally friendly tent fabric exist?
Evalon Offline

Hello smile

I'm trying to find (very) environmentally friendly lightweight fabrics for making a tent.

Any of you who have come across this?

Suggestions are appreciated.

Best regards,

Jesper (Denmark)

#134841 - 06/08/10 01:02 PM Re: Does environmentally friendly tent fabric exist? [Re: Evalon]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
What do you consider environmentally friendly. Some would say that only natural fibers. Others say that the production of natural fibers isn't very environmentally friendly.

#134871 - 06/08/10 09:32 PM Re: Does environmentally friendly tent fabric exist? [Re: Evalon]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Here's one interpretation of environmentally friendly from Big Agnes. They say the polyester has been recycled.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/SaltCreek2

#134886 - 06/09/10 04:20 AM Re: Does environmentally friendly tent fabric exist? [Re: DJ2]
Evalon Offline

Hey,

@ DJ2: Thanks for the link. I found the Salt Creek some weeks ago and also contacted BigAgnes to find out if there were some lightweight env. fri. materials. As you might have noticed the Salt Creek is about 2 lbs heavier than their other tents of this size. Their reply was that it's difficult to find lightweight recycled materials as of now. There's also greenoutdoor.co.uk, however, their Green Peaks tent is also quite heavy for my purposes (it's a big size tent), and they don't sell their fabric ...

@finallyMe: Yeah, it's a good question. I've heard the same said, and reckon that it depends on discernment in the actual situation. What I do know though, is that my body (i.e. the way it feels on my skin) clearly prefers natural materials (cotton, wools, natural silk, natural fibers etc.) but these materials - as far as I know - tend to get quite heavy and may not be fully waterproof.

I'm "just" hoping somebody has investigated this - or works in this area - and has suggestions. Very lightweight natural fibers are preferred, yet to they exist?

Greetings,

Jesper

#134887 - 06/09/10 08:06 AM Re: Does environmentally friendly tent fabric exist? [Re: Evalon]
Roocketman Offline

There aren't likely to be many, as the market demand is slim.

Try the old fashioned ventile cotton fabric

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ventile.co.uk%2F&rct=j&q=ventile+fabric&ei=EoMPTLiGN5CCNo6EzPUM&usg=AFQjCNE20pYik8rjQ6jyKWq1l7kUSreKoA

or

http:// fawww.ventile.co.uk/

#134894 - 06/09/10 09:27 AM Re: Does environmentally friendly tent fabric exist? [Re: Evalon]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Silk is lightweight. You can get it at the same weight as ripstop nylon. You can also siliconize it to make it waterproof. Or you can oil it. You can also oil cotton to make it waterproof. For a sleeping bag that doesn't need to be waterproof, making a down bag with silk would be the same weight as one with a nylon shell. A tent isn't next to your skin, so you gain no tactile advantage from using all natural. Anyways, they make some pretty tight weave cotton that is approaching nylon weights, and would make a somewhat light shelter if used sparingly.

At any rate, check out this guy. He tries to only wear natural material.
Raven lore

#134899 - 06/09/10 12:26 PM Re: Does environmentally friendly tent fabric exist? [Re: finallyME]
MarkNM Offline

Loc: Pompton Lakes, NJ
I have a waxed canvas day pack that has lasted for years...its crazy tough, but quite heavy...and in driving rain will eventually get wet in some area where the wax is faded/weak like right near the straps.

I've recently seen NF come out with the "TreeHugger" pack and it appears to also be made of canvas...

the real issue is yes there are envrionmentaly friendly natural fibers, yet not combined with technology and low weight

what about using Tyvek as a shelter? not sure how natural it is, but it may feel better to you as you mentioned the feel on your skin is a factor

#134907 - 06/09/10 03:39 PM Re: Does environmentally friendly tent fabric exist? [Re: Evalon]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
buffalo hide thanks or a lean-to made of branches, perhaps a cave? smile
Jim

#134939 - 06/10/10 05:11 AM Re: Does environmentally friendly tent fabric exist? [Re: finallyME]
Evalon Offline

Hey - & thanks for replying :-)

I've searched Ventile's webpages but didn't find information about weight per area so have contacted them to find out more.

@finallyME:
Originally Posted By finallyME
Anyways, they make some pretty tight weave cotton that is approaching nylon weights, and would make a somewhat light shelter if used sparingly.
. Do you have a productname or a link to a webpage for this?

Regarding silk, yes, I've considered it, but as far as I know silk is not that feasible when used in the sun. Apparently, the sun decomposes the structure of the silk, making it rather short-lived when exposed to the sun. However, Indian people use silk extensively, and there's some sun in India .... Another aspect, which also is important to me is the way it's manufactured and as far as I know some silk is still manufactured in ways that are quite hard on humans. But thanks for the suggestion about waxing or oiling the silk. Might be feasible if I can find the right type of silk ("natural silk", which is not the correct name, though, can be made without killing the silk worm, as well).

@MarkNM: Yes, Tyvek's also a possibility. I've checked it out - very lightweight! - and although I'm not otherwise sure about its environmental credentials Dupont does offer to recycle it free of charge when end of life is reached ....

Hmmm ... thanks again for your comments and suggestions. I would say that I now know what I need to move on.

Cheers,

Jesper

#134997 - 06/11/10 05:56 AM Re: Does environmentally friendly tent fabric exist? [Re: Evalon]
Evalon Offline

Hi again,

FYI I spoke with Ventile yesterday and they have a 165g/m2 (L34 it's called) tight-weaved impregnated cotton fabric that most likely is also available in organic cotton and as far as I understood also with an organic impregnation. It is waterproof, although we didn't talk about to what degree in mmH20.

Cheers,

Jesper

Edited by Evalon (06/11/10 06:04 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum