Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134821 - 06/07/10 10:10 PM 100.00 a pound
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I have been searching for a replacement sleeping bag for my 30 plus year old Snow Lion Mt. Light. I reallly want a Western mT UL but hate to spend the money. Looking at Marmot Helium as well. I know it is a life time investment, But dang it backpacking gear on average goes up in price about 100.00 a pound. That is in lost weight! Why are those lighter feathers so much more than the heavy ones! After my Smokies trip I have the bug, I will save and get what I need to drop the pound or so in weight! Might be worth it I can take a little more Vodka and Tang Happy Trails! Ps. I guesss in perspective my snow lion cost about 120. 00 in 1980 or so. It has served me well! So I guess with inflation wmul is a deal? Is the cup half full or half empty?

#134822 - 06/07/10 10:23 PM Re: 100.00 a pound [Re: Kent W]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Ps. I guesss in perspective my snow lion cost about 120. 00 in 1980 or so.

How many hours did you have to work to earn that then ?
How many hours someone doing the same job has to work to earn that now ?
Franco
BTW, my comment was just meant to be a gentle reminder that "things" were probably not as cheap as we tend to remember...

#134823 - 06/07/10 10:43 PM Re: 100.00 a pound [Re: Kent W]
lori Offline

if you look at a bag with 800-900 fp down and a same-rated bag with 500-600 fp down... the first one will pack smaller as well as be lighter.

But, some people don't care as much about a few inches and a few ounces as others do. smirk

I've also noticed the higher quality down doesn't leak out the seams as much. Fewer actual feathers in the mix, apparently.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#134824 - 06/07/10 10:51 PM Re: 100.00 a pound [Re: Kent W]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
$100/pound to lighten your pack is cheap. I used to figure $10/oz 15 years ago, and its worse now, tough to prove though.
Jim

#134828 - 06/08/10 12:19 AM Re: 100.00 a pound [Re: Jimshaw]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I bet I can help you lose a pound for less than $100.

Skip dessert!

Edited by balzaccom (06/08/10 12:20 AM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#134890 - 06/09/10 08:41 AM Re: 100.00 a pound [Re: balzaccom]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
Yeah, $100 per pound seems pretty reasonable to me. At this point in my lightening process I think I'm at the point where it's closer to $100 an ounce.

Get the Western Mountaineering bag. They make wonderful bags that will, with some care, last forever.

#134897 - 06/09/10 11:25 AM Re: 100.00 a pound [Re: Kent W]
Roocketman Offline

US postal rates are a fairly good approximation to inflation.

first Class Stamp costs
1978....$.15
2009....$.44

Inflation factor 1978-2009 = 44/15 = 2.93

Old sleeping bag cost = $120 (assume 1978)
New 2010 sleeping bag = $120 X 2.93 = $352

Franco said that things in the old days really aren't as "cheap" as we remember.

You could look up the other inflation indexes such as the CPI (consumer price index) and give it a go yourself.

The modern bag at that price range will have lighter fabric and much loftier down so the weight per warmth will be much less or the same warmth of bag will weigh less.

Get real and buy a good bag. I managed to get a Western Mountaineering MightyLite for well under $300 by looking all winter for bargains and doing trading. I paid $250 for something new and managed to sell it for $320 and used that to buy a WM bag for less than $300. Had money left over, sorta.

Previously, I had never spent over $140 on a sleeping bag - after the usual careful shopping for long periods.

I'm very happy.

#134913 - 06/09/10 07:53 PM Re: 100.00 a pound [Re: Roocketman]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I am old enough to remember when a first class US postage stamp cost $0.03. I was going to say "unfortunately" until I thought of the alternative!

#134919 - 06/09/10 09:43 PM Re: 100.00 a pound [Re: OregonMouse]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I am not argueing and did the math in my head as well. It is just hard to turn loose of 400.00 for a sleeping bag I only get the chance to use a couple times a year.However after backpacking again for the first time in 30 years or 28 Losing a pound or two is worth a bundle. I have already lost over two pounds just bye finishing making my silnylon tent. Happy trails unhappy wallet!

#134937 - 06/10/10 01:01 AM Re: 100.00 a pound [Re: Kent W]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By Kent W
I am not argueing and did the math in my head as well. It is just hard to turn loose of 400.00 for a sleeping bag I only get the chance to use a couple times a year.However after backpacking again for the first time in 30 years or 28 Losing a pound or two is worth a bundle. I have already lost over two pounds just bye finishing making my silnylon tent. Happy trails unhappy wallet!

Kent, you really hit the nail on the head. If a person only uses a bag "a couple times a year" then I would advise against spending $400+ on a high quality down bag when you will hardly see the benefit for a couple of summer trips per year. Personally, if I only went out 2-3 times a year then I would look into Campmor's +20 or REI's Sub Kilo-- both are light, cheap, 3-season bags and will last those who spend limited nights per year on the trail a lifetime with proper care.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum