Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134472 - 05/31/10 10:21 PM Caddo Lake, TX
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Well, I thought I'd post a few pic's of our recent weekend trip to Caddo Lake.

I didn't get to take as many pic's as I would have liked to, but I was paddling stern and navigating as the lead canoe.

Navigating the swamp is pretty straight forward as there are marked trails, referred to as 'boat roads'. The trick is making sure you don't miss a turn coming down the river channel and end up taking a "detour".

I plan on doing this trip again in either the fall or spring when it is cooler and we have more time. You can rent canoes in the park, Caddo Lake State Park, for $30/day plus tax. Several groups canoe out on Friday night to Goat Island and spend the day exploring and paddle back on Sunday. The park office has navigation maps of the lake and I would highly recommend getting one. If you have the map, you can really spend some time exploring the different "trails".

Here's a link to the album:
http://picasaweb.google.com/tango61x/CaddoLake#

Edited by Tango61 (05/31/10 10:26 PM)
Edit Reason: added link to album

#134483 - 06/01/10 12:37 AM Re: Caddo Lake, TX [Re: Tango61]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Thanks for posting this, Tim! Thats how I remember Caddo as a kid. Most of the pictures I've seen lately show the 'boat roads' paved in that tiny invasive floating plant stuff. Nice to know there is clear water there.

#134511 - 06/01/10 02:33 PM Re: Caddo Lake, TX [Re: Tango61]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
That looks like some fun paddling. It's a completely different experience than what we have out here in Cali.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#134531 - 06/01/10 11:07 PM Re: Caddo Lake, TX [Re: Dryer]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Hi Paul,
The boat roads were pretty clear but if you got out of them very far you could get into the 'weeds' pretty quickly. There were lots of lilly pads and another that I can recall the name of.

They are having a very vigorous education campaign about the giant salvania and getting people to check their boats both before and after putting in or taking out. There were signs at the boat ramps, the canoe rental place and at the ranger's office. It's really nasty stuff as you know.

#134545 - 06/02/10 12:57 AM Re: Caddo Lake, TX [Re: Tango61]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Tim, the latest (last three years) of TPWD magazine pics of Caddo show no water visible at all, only a field of green with a canoe/kayak in it. I forget the name of the stuff but it a very tiny floating leaf thing, maybe 3mm wide. I'm aware of the campaign to keep things like salvia and zebra mussels from hitchhiking. Most park boat ramps have no wash facilities, so I'm not sure what can be done.

#135315 - 06/19/10 10:34 PM Re: Caddo Lake, TX [Re: Tango61]
baba Offline

Thank you for the information about the boat roads. Our crew was looking at that as a weekend paddle. Our only concern had been looking at it as a big swamp and we could get lost. Appreciate your photos.

#136217 - 07/13/10 05:04 PM Re: Caddo Lake, TX [Re: Tango61]
Mike1239 Offline

This is one of my "home" lakes and I recommend it! Tributaries too!!!

There is generally plenty of open water. Plenty of choked green areas too! Pretty much all the green dies in winter. The boat roads generally are open, though. Giant Salvinia is the nasty stuff, water hyacinth too. Fortunately it doesn't stick to the bottom of canoes too well.

You can definitely get lost. Carters Lake is probably the easiest area to get lost in. The area right by the island you camp on is the worst imo. Never spent the night from getting lost but been close.

If you are worried about getting lost get off the lake before dark. It all looks the same when the light gets low, it seems. There are plenty of boat roads and maps are readily available. Even if you go off a boat road in to the woods you usually aren't too far from a boat road, and can get out.

The lower part of the lake from Uncertain to Louisiana is more open and perhaps harder to get lost in. But pay attention.

I usually put in at Mossy Brake, Johnson's Ranch (Uncertain), or Carter's Lake. The state park is very nice but is one of the worst canoeing spots around, since you are stuck on the main channel of the Big Cypress whichcan get crowded weekends in the summer,for a couple of miles.

If you want more info feel free to contact me! Don't forget the tributaries, the Little, Black, and Big Cypress Bayous. Tons of good canoeing in E. Texas!!!

#167830 - 07/13/12 06:19 PM Re: Caddo Lake, TX [Re: Mike1239]
Frederick Offline

Loc: Lago Vista, TX
The little green dots of plants is called duckweed and it grows like a weed and gets so think that no sunlight can penetrate below the water surface. Also, after paddling in any water that has any invasive species, be sure to wash your boat or craft down real well before putting into another water body so you don't cross contaminate that body of water.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum