Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134316 - 05/27/10 12:43 PM Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants
Redfacery Offline

Loc: NY
I couldn't find any results searching about hiking pants with reinforced knees. I'm curious about whether people here own or use summer-weight pants with reinforced knees.

I always find after a few days on the trail my pants' knees are dirty as can be, from kneeling for cooking, fire building, or just general wear. Also, with moderate knee problems already, a single thin layer of nylon isn't exactly good protection for my knees.

I find that sometimes I will zipoff the legs when I get into camp (if I'm wearing convertible pants obviously), just to keep the pants cleaner, even though that can end up with bug bites, muddy knees, or whatever.

#134317 - 05/27/10 12:48 PM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: Redfacery]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I have thought about doing it myself. I would sew patches of Cordura onto my knees and probably the rear area. I also thought about doing it on my elbows.

#134318 - 05/27/10 12:57 PM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: Redfacery]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I love my Railrider pants. They are showing little sign of wear after 4 years of use. Nice deep pockets, bombproof fabric, nice features. The fit is loose by design and some people call them "bloomers". But I like the freedom of movement and the ability to layer underneath. They're not zip-offs but I can easily roll them up to my knees if necessary. They have double fabric in several places but they're still thin enough for summer use. They're not cheap but a good bargain if you think long term.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#134328 - 05/27/10 03:30 PM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: Trailrunner]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I haven't had any problems with wearing at the knees of my hiking pants. The part that goes first is the cuffs, which fray. I definitely would not want double-knee pants! Back when I was younger, I did the typical cowboy squat instead of sitting or kneeling. That maneuver was developed by cowboys on purpose to keep knees and seat out of the dirt. Of course that maneuver has gone by the board since my knee surgery 20-some years ago! Now I just sit down, usually on a piece of thin foam pad.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/27/10 03:33 PM)

#134331 - 05/27/10 03:42 PM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: Redfacery]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“I'm curious about whether people here own or use summer-weight pants with reinforced knees.”

Anytime I kneel or sit, I whip out my 14”x14”x1/4” CCF (0.3oz). It keeps the pants clean. And it minimizes worn pants (no matter the brand). But more importantly it saves my knees from kneeling on hidden rocks. Also, most of the ground I kneel on is soaked. The pad keeps the knees/butt dry.

-Barry

#134336 - 05/27/10 03:55 PM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: BarryP]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I use Schoeller climbing pants - regular and zip-offs. These are pricy but last a long time and are really tough - essential for off-trail travel. They are heavier, but since they are not in my pack on my back, I do not mind. I just bought some lighter ArcTerex climbing pants at REI sale.

The first place that wears out for me is the seat. When I worked at NOLS, we would sew on an extra seat patch.

#134350 - 05/27/10 06:21 PM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: wandering_daisy]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
Just buy iron on patches from any fabric store. hiking is not meant to be glamorous

#134351 - 05/27/10 06:42 PM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: Boomer]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Iron-on patches on nylon pants might result in some melting of the latter!

#134374 - 05/28/10 11:17 AM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: Trailrunner]
KWeb Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Originally Posted By Trailrunner
I love my Railrider pants.

I dont need reinforced kness so I have the Eco-mesh pants. Pair those with my Eco-mesh shirt and I'm happy wherever I go. Their products are top notch. Light, dry fast, and stand up to abuse well.

#134377 - 05/28/10 12:43 PM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: OregonMouse]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I can almost guarantee that it will...sabre11004... lame

#134592 - 06/02/10 07:17 PM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: Redfacery]
wildthing Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
I heartily recommend the railriders too. They don't zip off but have deep pockets and good construction plus the extra layer on knees and rear.

Not cheap, but quality turns out to be cheaper over time and nylon pants take so long to wear out that it is just not worth it! Had those silly North Face ones for 5 years and hated them all the way.

#134597 - 06/02/10 08:34 PM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: wildthing]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Montane Terra pants.
They have Cordura patches in all the right places. With the side hip vents and ankle zip, they are very versatile too.
http://www.prolitegear.com/pl_montane_terra_pant.html

Franco

#134684 - 06/04/10 01:26 AM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: finallyME]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Best reinforced hiking pants for the money that I've found are "5.11" brand nylon canvas pants. They have a double seat and knees. The knees have inside vertical "pocket" openings to insert 5.11s optional 1/8" thick neoprene knee pads. Great for rock scrambling. The price is about $50. These are TOUGH pants.

The company makes "tactical" clothing for law enforcement agencies but all the stuff I've had from them is top quality.
These particular pants come in 100% nylon or 100% cotton.

#134930 - 06/09/10 10:55 PM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: 300winmag]
Redfacery Offline

Ho-hum, those look like some great pants for the price. I'll be heading to cabella's this weekend to see if I can find a pair of hunting pants that meet my standards, but those might be the fallback.

Enough people here seem to have good things to say about getting reinforced knees (though I'll avoid ironing onto nylon wink ) that I'll definitely be getting some for this season's major camping.

#134951 - 06/10/10 12:54 PM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: Trailrunner]
CCH Offline

Loc: Colorado
I've always liked Railriders and they offer a couple of styles with reinforcement. Just had a wonderful customer experience with them that makes me a devoted customer. I wear their Backcountry Khakis as an all around pant and had the button fall off. I contacted them asking if I could get a replacement button so I could repair them and they sent me a new pair of pants. The day those showed up, the button fell off another pair. So there's obviously a button problem going on here. The new pair uses a sewed on button that would have to rip off and can't fall apart. I thanked them for the new pants and let them know about the second pair but told them I wasn't looking for a replacement pair. They still offered, but I declined as it seemed overkill for a button and they had already done it once. Anyway, to me that is some pretty awesome service. Super durable pants -- other than that round of defective buttons. smile

#134970 - 06/10/10 05:39 PM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: Redfacery]
frediver Offline

300mag.
Do you have a source for the 5.11 nylon canvas pants, I thought they stopped making them, my favorite as well.

#135553 - 06/27/10 02:50 PM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: wildthing]
granolaking Offline

Best reinforced knee hiking pants I've seen are L.L. Bean Timberledge pants, hands down. The construction and design are worth the money.

#139564 - 09/29/10 10:24 PM Re: Reinforced Knee Hiking Pants [Re: Redfacery]
Redfacery Offline

Just wanted to report - I decided on a pair of cabella's camo pants. These aren't exactly the model, but it's the closest I could find online. They were $49 on sale this summer, and I can't say enough good things for them.

Extremely light compared to my LLBean convertible pants, dirt resistant, near silent in the woods while hunting/stalking. The permethrin coating was also super effective, once it wears out, no harm, since I didn't buy them for the permethrin. I liked the pocket setup, and the reinforced knees, while not as thick as I would like in colder weather, were exactly right for the month-long wear I gave them.

I also learned something I'm sure most people here already exercise, which is discipline in packing clothes - I brought a pair of LLBean convertibles out for the 30 days in the bush, and found that they were truly extra weight. Lesson learned the hard way. (especially when I considered that I had long johns, and rain pants, and gaiters - don't feel sorry for the extra weight in clothing, I brought it on myself and won't make that mistake again.)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum