Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133721 - 05/14/10 09:53 AM Six Moon Desi Swift '10 vs Goss Gear Mariposa Plus
hikenc9
Unregistered

I'm on the look for a new lighter pack and it's between these two and the GoLite Jam. Since I can't get the Swift or Mariposa in a store I plan on ordering just one. Does anyone has experience with either of these packs? I'd like to hear the good and bad.

thanks

#133738 - 05/14/10 01:16 PM Re: Six Moon Desi Swift '10 vs Goss Gear Mariposa Plus [Re: ]
lori Offline

I have a Mariposa Plus and have carried it with up to 30 lbs - the comfort zone is around 25 lbs and it has to be really well balanced to be comfortable above that (at least for me). With the new stay it works very well and is more comfy with a bear canister than before. I have light but bulky gear (some of it anyway) and the capacity is pretty good - light stuff I use during the day goes in the mesh pockets, the rest inside.

One of the things about these packs - if you order and try around home, it's likely they will let you return it if it doesn't work. If you do use it on trail and it doesn't work out, there's a pretty good secondhand demand for ultralight gear, especially over at the Backpacking Light forum.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#133897 - 05/18/10 10:48 AM Re: Six Moon Desi Swift '10 vs Goss Gear Mariposa Plus [Re: ]
hikenc9
Unregistered

Thanks for the info! I just started looking at the Golite Jam pack. Any reviews on this pack?

#133901 - 05/18/10 12:48 PM Re: Six Moon Desi Swift '10 vs Goss Gear Mariposa Plus [Re: ]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By hikenc9
I just started looking at the Golite Jam pack. Any reviews on this pack?

I use Golite's Pinnacle for winter backpacking, both packs are pretty much identical except for capacity. I love mine and woudn't hesitate to purchase another one. There are lots of field reviews on the Jam if you use Google and search.

#133904 - 05/18/10 02:03 PM Re: Six Moon Desi Swift '10 vs Goss Gear Mariposa Plus [Re: ]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have a Jam2, the earlier version w/o the hip belt pockets. I use it almost exclusively for hikes of up to five days.

I have used it a couple of times with all my gear and a Bear Vault 500. It worked but it was a little more than the pack seemed designed to handle in terms of volume; it is fine with the BV-200 "weekender". I generally get about 15 lb (10 days) of food in the BV-500 and the jam is OK with the 17.5 lb food and canister weight

I performed some surgery on the Jam and got the weight down to 18.5 oz. It is durable and comfortable to carry.

I just finished making a G-4 pack for longer trips where I will need to carry the larger bear can. Still working on the best way to load that pack but it is also comfortable.

#133999 - 05/20/10 08:51 AM Re: Six Moon Desi Swift '10 vs Goss Gear Mariposa Plus [Re: ]
mosquito Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I've got the Swift 10 and have used it 3 tjmes this spring. Twice for about 5 1/2 miles with up to 24# and no problems. The 3rd time I used it as a daypack with about 12# and 14 miles. It did great. I use 2 gossamer gear sit pads for the frame. I think it will handle up to about 27# with ease. I will try it next using just one pad.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum