Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115556 - 05/05/09 08:53 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! ***** [Re: Teej]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Teej

Besides TP, living for extended periods of time on unsupported trips, means taking very good care of your body. You must be as clean and well lubricated wink as possible. You cannot afford to get sick, carry vitamins including C. Carry a towel. You will want to leave every thing behind except what makes you feel good (like maybe down socks). I like "no rinse" body bath, but I hate their shampoo and cream rinse. I can take a bath in 6 ounces of hot water and a splash of no rinse and it really does cut the smell and makes me feel clean and afterwards I am willing to get into a clean sleeping bag with myself. smile
Of course everything eventually runs out. Then you come home.

I think if you practiced at home, jump from the toilet into the shower? Anyway I would certainly practice before committing to it. Just My $.02
Jim

#115585 - 05/06/09 01:35 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: lori]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
For a bidet, you could just stomp on your hydration bladder. LOL.

#115591 - 05/06/09 03:07 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: chaz]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Or you could simply scoot yer bo-bo across the grass like my neighbors dog! Dew might help. grin

#115595 - 05/06/09 03:56 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Dryer]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Fresh and soft lambs ear leaves, with a light sprinkling of morning dew....Luxury!

#115629 - 05/07/09 02:07 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: frenchie]
hoz Offline

Loc: midwest
Though I was born and raised in the US I'm 1/2 Filipino and have visited the Philippines several times. There is a custom there called "Tabo" and it pertains to washing your hiney after doing the do.

Toilet paper is expensive there and often you won't find any in peoples houses, let alone public loo's. Sometimes, if you are lucky, a spray nozzle like on your kitchen sink will be attached to the plumbing but most often there will be a long handled cup or dipper and a bucket of water. The idea is to use your hand (left hand?) to wash up and then wash your hands afterward with soap.

If you see a long handled cup in a Filipinos bathroom you can be sure they are practicing Tabo.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/782151/tabo_the_toilet_paper_alternative_in.html

#115662 - 05/08/09 12:25 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: hoz]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Much of the world gets by with washing, or natural materiels.
It's really not that bad, Personally I've found being able
to wash afterwards more important anyway, for me, no amount of
wiping will make me not get "rashy" when I'm hiking all day. so I take a small washcloth ( a square of old Tshirt which stays in a ziploc) or baby wipes. I do usually take TP as well, but if I had to choose one I'd only take the former.

Besides, TP as we know it was only invented in 1880..

Edited by phat (05/09/09 11:14 PM)
Browse my pictures

#115711 - 05/08/09 08:07 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: phat]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
129 years is certainly enough for me to get conditioned to its use grin I know about using leaves (just watch out for the poisin ivy sick) or water with a rag or hand. If that was my only choice, I'd make do, but I have the option of TP where I hike and I will continue to use it thank you very much!

#115815 - 05/11/09 01:20 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: thecook]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
My friend, "Camo Bob," sent me a pic of what he's using.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#115820 - 05/11/09 08:11 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: kevonionia]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
My friend, "Camo Bob," sent me a pic of what he's using.

Camo tape? Now that's a different approach. Simply tape up the orifice and don't worry about it anymore. I bet he gains a lot of weight during his hikes! grin

#115839 - 05/11/09 02:27 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: kevonionia]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
All I gotta do is eat me one of these, and no toilet paper worries for at least a few days.

#115912 - 05/13/09 12:01 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Wolfeye]
cpetterson Offline

Loc: Alberta
Originally Posted By Wolfeye
Supposedly there's TP made for mobile homes that completely dissolves in water. Technically I don't know if it's biodegradeable.

They make tp for RVs that will dissolve, you probably meant to say. I used to work at an rv repair shop and I know for a fact that it doesn't dissolve all that well unless you have a substantial liquid in the tank, otherwise it becomes saturated. Generally if it dissolves it will be biodegradeable, because it just falls apart, where as something like a plastic bag doesn't.

#115962 - 05/13/09 02:14 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Teej]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
In the south... Leaves and cleaning up with water/wet wipe/bandana.

I've been following this thread all along and have a few good laughs and learned some things along the way. But honestly, I never expected the thread to receive this many responses.

#115971 - 05/13/09 04:05 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: finallyME]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Originally Posted By finallyME
All I gotta do is eat me one of these, and no toilet paper worries for at least a few days.

They also come with a small package of tissues anyway.

#116002 - 05/13/09 11:18 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: DTape]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I'm still appalled at the realization that they are scientifically designed to stuff you up.. Sheesh if I have to hike all day constipated my disposition becomes like a bear with a sore butt.. never mind if you then put a mattell machine gun in my hand...
Browse my pictures

#116037 - 05/14/09 11:52 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: phat]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By phat

I'm still appalled at the realization that they are scientifically designed to stuff you up.. Sheesh if I have to hike all day constipated my disposition becomes like a bear with a sore butt.. never mind if you then put a mattell machine gun in my hand...

I don't know if constipated is the right word. I never have felt discomfort. I just didn't need to go for a day or two. And when I did, I had the convenience of deciding the best time (like when you have a break, or are near a toilet). It is much better than having the runs when people are shooting at you, or even getting that emergency feeling that you have to go NOW and are no where near a convenient spot. Again, I never have felt discomfort. But, YMMV. wink

#116044 - 05/14/09 02:31 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: finallyME]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Having no direct experience in the matter, I have to think that if someone were shooting at me, I'd develop the runs pretty quickly, regardless of what I had been eating. wink

#116193 - 05/17/09 10:35 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Glenn]
chava Offline

Loc: PA
I never used TP, partly bc my first outdoor experience was with OB.

It really isn't that bad--I prefer smooth stones rinsed in a bit of water, or soft (non poison ivy) leaves. And then you don't have disgusting TP in your pack all day.

If you're female I'd still recommend bringing a small cache of baby wipes for the end of the day if you won't be able to wash.

#117874 - 06/30/09 10:34 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Bearpaw]
sawwhetowl Offline

Loc: Colorado

Do you mean spruce cones? I know of no soft pine cones.

[quote=Bearpaw]I taught with NOLS from 2001-2003.

western pine cones. They are thoroughly different from those I grew up with in the east. No sharp edges and they are basically brushes that work quite well. I've actually known students to fill a plastic bag with the softest, "downiest" pinecones they can find at each campsite so they have a ready supply of natural TP.

#118313 - 07/13/09 10:23 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Teej]
Andy Offline

Loc: Ohio
I am looking at this thread a couple of weeks late but will give a suggestion at the other "end" of the spectrum. And I'll try to keep the puns at a minimum.

Some time back I had lower intestinal problems and among other things (surgical, painful things) my doctor recommended a daily dose of powdered fiber. He said that Americans just don't get enough fiber in their diets and he recommends this to all patients, young and old.

So to make a long story short, after some experimentation to discover the "right" dose for me, it is 1 teaspoon in a glass of water in the morning and a second in the afternoon when I come home thirsty after work.

What I have noticed from this and my point is, my bowel movements are relaxed and easy because the stool is very soft but at the same time it is not wet or sticky. I only use one square of paper because there's just nothing left behind to "wipe" away. More out of habit than anything else. It is very clean.

So there's more than you need to know, sorry for that. But you could try it for a week at home to see what works for you. It takes a couple of days for your system to get used to it and settle down.

A little bit of very judicious shaving may help also.

Andy

#118990 - 08/03/09 12:20 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Teej]
mountainhick Offline

I worked for NOLS in the field for 20 years and spent most of my backcountry time without toilet paper. Snow, spruce cones, certain leaves, bundles of soft early pine needles, smooth dry sticks and smooth rocks all have some workability. I always thought that squirrel fur would be the ultimate, but the little buggers are hard to catch with your pants down.

Washing the privates regularly also helps tremendously. Any leftover smears on your butt will turn into diaper rash.

These days I carry TP and wet wipes, pack it in and pack it out. I take three small Ziplocks, one with TP, one with wipes, one for the used goods.

And remember to wash your hands. Fecal-oral contamination is a common cause of intestinal illness in the backcountry and has caused distress to quite a few NOLSies.

#119116 - 08/06/09 06:26 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: mountainhick]
Serac Offline

Loc: Washington State
I have not used TP in the backcountry for a few years now. Instead, I use a little squirt bottle that once held Campsuds soap. It is, indeed, my backpacker's bidet. I fill it with wild water and just squirt it down my backside after doing the dirty deed. A scrub or two with my left hand followed by rinsing. Wash my hands with biosoap and more water. Leaves you feeling clean and happy!

#119206 - 08/10/09 07:55 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Serac]
sawwhetowl Offline

My guess is you are not clean

Edited by sawwhetowl (08/10/09 07:57 PM)

#123309 - 11/03/09 01:18 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Teej]
Shrike Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Just a thought after reading this entire thread.
I might be wrong but it seems to me like you will do more harm to the environment if you rinse and then use soap(even if it is biodegradable) than if you just use a little tp.

Edited by Lylevp (11/03/09 01:19 AM)

#123321 - 11/03/09 11:36 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Shrike]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
I might be wrong but it seems to me like you will do more harm to the environment if you rinse and then use soap(even if it is biodegradable) than if you just use a little tp.

How so? What harm, exactly? The soap I use, (dr. bronners) is vegetable based and literally only a drop or two is used. The water was already there. I can't see it doing any more harm than the chemicals in your poop and pee, along with no telling what else your trip impacts (plastics off-gassing, car exhaust, your own human presence). NOT using TP saves weight, garbage, trees... smile.
When you wash, you are in fact, cleaner.
After a while, you're going to run out of TP anyway. What then?

#133533 - 05/11/10 02:09 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Dryer]
Pappy Offline

Loc: NC
The TP and our waste is very degradable. The problem is folks don't cover the cat-hole well enough and some critter will dig up the corpse and scatter it and the TP about the area. Very bad.

Find a large rock roll it over dig the cat-hole deep and neat, the earthen mounds will protect your calves from the dreaded splash back (GI Trots) cover the evidence with the dirt and then cover the dirt with the ground leaves. Finally replace the rock and King TUT will forever be sealed in his tomb.

Like the man said keep it fun...and for gods sake don't crap in a sandwich bag, if you carry your waste on your pack use what we did in the army a large garbage can bag.Much easier to hit the target that way. Like they say "all employee's must wash their hands before leaving."

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum