Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133480 - 05/10/10 09:42 PM survival/day pack. what items do you have?
justme Offline

Loc: wyoming,usa
Hello guys I just purchased a new lower back/ waist pack. its 920 cu. in. The purpose of this pack is going to be a hunting/fishing/survival pack. I will use it for hiking day trips from my base camp in the big horn mountains. The items im looking to include in this pack is for survival if I happen to get lost or injured im looking to include items in this pack for surving 24-32 hours.

Im looking for suggestions on what to carry and what you also carry in your day pack? Im going to make a least from greatest to least on the importance of items I think I will need. feel free to make any suggestions on what I should add and or change for something else.

1.nalgene water bottle with fresh water
2. water purification tablets( what else would you suggest beside purification tablets? looking for the least space it would take up but still effective)
3. first aid kit(gauze, band aids, waterproof tape, pain relievers) What all do you keep in your first aid kit?
4. magnesium fire starter/ or waterproof strike anywhere matches( brand of matches or fire starter you would suggest?)
5. petroleum Vaseline soaked cotton balls.( in a zip lock bag wrapped up with rubber bands around)
6.compass
7.map
8. power ball or some type of high calorie energy bar( looking for suggestions of some brands or something that is light weight and small besides a power bar)
9. emergency poncho
10.fixed blade knife. thinking a Swedish Mora from sports mans guide.
11. high quality flash light or headlamp. (thinking a surefire or boker but open to suggestions)
12. signal mirror.
13. 550 cord
14. a piece of folded tinfoil
15. bags. ( thinking at lest one if not two standard garbage bags and one or two gallon and pint Ziplocs)
16 knitted hat, cloth gloves, and spare socks ( in a Ziploc)
17. toiletries ( some tp, tooth paste, and cheap tooth brush)

Im sure im missing something important in my list but this is the first time I have set up a pack like this thus open to suggestions. I didn’t say any ammo or any fishing stuff because that’s a given for me that I will have it on me.

thanks for your time on any suggestions. much appreciated

Edited by justme (05/10/10 09:46 PM)

#133485 - 05/10/10 10:20 PM Re: survival/day pack. what items do you have? [Re: justme]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
If you haven't already done so, check Youtube. It has a gazillion videos on this subject.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#133492 - 05/10/10 11:29 PM Re: survival/day pack. what items do you have? [Re: justme]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
When you say you need to survive for 24-30 hours, you mean overnight. You assume that you will stay warm by building a fire. OK if below timber - not so if above timber. Or if you are hurt, gathering wood may not be possible. Here is what I take on a day climb in the Wind Rivers - similar to Big Horns.

1) Waterproof outer layer - rain jacket with hood and rain pants
2) extra insulating layer - 200 fleece or equivelent wool top
3) wool or wind-pro hat or balaclava
4) extra pair wool socks
5) day pack - long enough to stuff my feet in up to my knees
6) reflective metallic type mylar survival blanket
7) small 2 ft x 3 ft ensolite pad to sit on - doubles as backpad in my daypack
8) 2 trail bars, 2 sticks of cheese
9) first aid - similar to yours
10) maps ( I do not use a compass in areas I know well)
11) fire starters - REI waterproof matches
12) water bottle - 1 qt. old vinegar bottle
13) down vest in spring or fall when nights are colder

I have spent a few nights out on climbs with this gear and survived but did not get much sleep. This stuff will not fit in a hip pack. I personally favor extra clothing over depending on being able to start and keep a fire going.

I am sure I left of a few things - did this list off the top of my head. I honestly have never used a knife in a bivouac situation. Best other item - a warm partner. Spending a night out without bag or tent is easier when lots of bodies huddle together.

#133505 - 05/11/10 03:12 AM Re: survival/day pack. what items do you have? [Re: wandering_daisy]
CJC Offline

Loc: Southern Nevada
Nice list, but I would add 3 more items: headlamp, micro-pure tablets and large black trash bag.

#133512 - 05/11/10 07:56 AM Re: survival/day pack. what items do you have? [Re: CJC]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I agree with Daisy - knives are overrated - a very small one will do just fine. A headlamp will be more useful than a handheld, and it should be small. Since it may not be in constant use, be careful of the batteries you put in it. A light that accepts lithium batteries will be there when you need it, unlike failure prone alkaline batteries.

First Aid Kit. Basically, the contents depend on your training. Get thee to a first aid class! Once you get above the band aid level, you need to be able to stop bleeding, and possibly splint fractures. CPR is a useful skill, but if you need to apply it in a back country situation, you are pretty much done for (except for drowning).

Being able to build a fire/create and conserve heat makes all the difference in an overnight situation. What you will carry will depend on the country into which you are venturing.

#133515 - 05/11/10 08:50 AM Re: survival/day pack. what items do you have? [Re: justme]
Cstolworthy Offline

Loc: American Fork, Utah
For small water purification look into the STERIPEN.

For the first aid kit, I would recommend some benzalkonium chloride towelettes. They are a disinfectant that can be used directly in a wound without damaging tissue.

REI Waterproof matches are great. I am a fan of Swedish fire steel.

A small knife does work just fine, but I love my Kabar.

You may want to consider carrying a small ziploc bag with some sort of an electrolyte replacement in it. Just make sure you try it before hand to see if you like it.

You didn't mention what you were going to start out wearing when you are hiking. You will want to be sure to bring some good layering clothing. If the weather turns on you, and you can't get a fire started you need some way to stay warm enough through the night.

#133524 - 05/11/10 09:57 AM Re: survival/day pack. what items do you have? [Re: justme]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Hey justme, its me, finallyME. grin
I have a similar list that I carry for day hikes. I carry it in a small backpack designed for a water bladder that I took out. Anyways, here is my list.

26 oz Stainless Canteen.

Sometimes I also carry this setup with the 26 oz ss water bottle.

I carry chlorine dioxide tablets for purification. They are small and light and work better than iodine.
My first aid kit is probably a little big, but I generally am hiking with boy scouts and they are supper accident prone.
I also carry a pretty extensive fire kit. I have waterproof matches in a water proof cylinder. Then I put those and a fero rod, and a lighter, and as much lint as I can into a small NBC container I picked up cheap at an army surplus store. It is waterproof and fits all my stuff in it. I haven't carried vasoline yet, but plan to. I bought a carmex container that I used up and will fill with vasoline. By the way, carmex works for fire starting as well.

I also put a compass and map of the area.
For food, I have generally used cliff bars. But there are many options here. One thing I have been experimenting with is these guys.

This is a 1200 calorie food bar. I bought one and tried it to see how it tastes. It tastes like a dried lemon bar. But, it was edible.
For rain gear, I generally take my Driducks rain suit. A poncho would also work.
For a knife, I bring a swiss multitool, a Mora, and EMS scissors. Also, something tho sharpen them with. I am excessive in this, but it is my choice.
I have a good quality head lamp, a signal mirror, and a whistle.
I also have some 550 cord, about 50'.
For toiletries, I carry a ziplock with baby wipes. I like to spoil my bum.
I sometimes bring a knitted hat, definitely some leather gloves.
Sometimes I carry a space blanket. But this is to waterproof the ridge of my shelter, not to use as a blanket.

Anyways, I think you are pretty set, as long as you know how to use what you are taking.

#133537 - 05/11/10 02:32 PM Re: survival/day pack. what items do you have? [Re: Cstolworthy]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Many folks aren't aware that you can also use your chlorine dioxide (water purifier) to treat wounds and it will not destroy skin tissuse like peroxide or other commonly used products. We are not always just "provided" with the stuff that works. Sometimes we have to improvise and do a little research. Chlorine dioxide is much less poison than chlorine or peroxide...sabre11004...

#133619 - 05/12/10 09:59 PM Re: survival/day pack. what items do you have? [Re: Cstolworthy]
justme Offline

Originally Posted By Cstolworthy
For small water purification look into the STERIPEN.

For the first aid kit, I would recommend some benzalkonium chloride towelettes. They are a disinfectant that can be used directly in a wound without damaging tissue.

REI Waterproof matches are great. I am a fan of Swedish fire steel.

A small knife does work just fine, but I love my Kabar.

You may want to consider carrying a small ziploc bag with some sort of an electrolyte replacement in it. Just make sure you try it before hand to see if you like it.

You didn't mention what you were going to start out wearing when you are hiking. You will want to be sure to bring some good layering clothing. If the weather turns on you, and you can't get a fire started you need some way to stay warm enough through the night.

when you say electroylte replacement. what would you suggest?

#133620 - 05/12/10 10:09 PM Re: survival/day pack. what items do you have? [Re: justme]
justme Offline

really appreciate all the info guys. making me think more about what should be including in what to change around. I was reading about including large orange garbage bags like the city/goverment use for ditch clean up. they are large enough to climb into to stay dry and highly visable since being blaze orange. I thought this was a great idea so i wanted to share the info.

Im also thinking about looking into one of thoose personal locater units incase the $h!t hits fan and im really screwed.

What do you guys suggest for good insulation? I dont really want to carry a heavy coat and pants but would like some good thermals or something simular for my chest and legs that i wouldnt have to wear all the time.

#133652 - 05/13/10 01:30 PM Re: survival/day pack. what items do you have? [Re: justme]
Cstolworthy Offline

I am partial to gookinade or Gu. I swap between the two for biking / hiking / backpacking. I only mix them to about 1/2 or 3/4 strength because for me they tend to get a little too syrupy at full strength.

#133695 - 05/13/10 10:26 PM Re: survival/day pack. what items do you have? [Re: justme]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I will typically be hiking in a base layer and probably insulating layer with me. I always have trekking poles. My daypack will usually contain.

1) windshirt or light goretex jacket.
2) Primaloft pullover or 200 wt fleece.
3) Ragg wool gloves.
4) Toque
5) Day pack (often MEC alpinelite 30)
6) Integral Designs SilPoncho
7) Small sit pad (in daypack or on top
8) lunch, and extra food (chocolate bars, clif bars, cheese)
9) small first aid kit
10) compass
11) 2 bic lighters, alky stove, alcohol inside small pot
12) Tea bags and/or coffee and/or hot chocolate
13) pristine (aquamira) CL02 water purifier
14) platypus water bottle
15) wax egg carton firestarter + book matches in ziploc
16) 2 black trash bags.
16) petzl elite headlamp
17) PLB

Often there is other specialized stuff with me..(GPS and geocaching stuff, Rifle Ammunition, 5/1 pulleys, rope, and field dressing kit, butterfly collection stuff, etc. etc. etc)

I've spent nights out with that 3-4 times over the last 15 years with variations of that gear (older versions had mini maglite, etc. etc.) Before I had the nice ID silponcho I used to always carry an 8x10 plastic painters tarp instead. Nothing like spending a night like that out will make you appreciate the weight of something like that, and a few trash bags though smile

Browse my pictures

#133696 - 05/13/10 10:28 PM Re: survival/day pack. what items do you have? [Re: phat]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

And yes, I always have a tea brewup kit with me.. It's partly psychological. but It makes me happy smile in past years it wasn't a nice teeny lightweight backpacking pot but a nice black tin can.

Browse my pictures

#133702 - 05/13/10 11:21 PM Re: survival/day pack. what items do you have? [Re: phat]
Cstolworthy Offline

Originally Posted By phat

And yes, I always have a tea brewup kit with me.. It's partly psychological. but It makes me happy smile in past years it wasn't a nice teeny lightweight backpacking pot but a nice black tin can.

To me there is nothing better than watching the sun rise over a mountain range with a nice hot cup of tea. Maybe watch the morning hatch out on the lake.

#133712 - 05/14/10 01:54 AM Re: survival/day pack. what items do you have? [Re: Cstolworthy]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
n/m

Edited by ChrisFol (05/14/10 02:03 AM)

#136468 - 07/17/10 05:37 PM Re: survival/day pack. what items do you have? [Re: ChrisFol]
ouachiski Offline

Loc: South Louisiana
I allays pack benadryl with me because I am allergic to red wasps and they are common in my area.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum