Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133049 - 05/01/10 12:09 AM Stuck on tent purchase..
BrandonK81 Offline

Loc: TN
First post here

So I'm having a hard time deciding on our next tent, wondering if anyone with first hand knowledge of any of the 4 might chime in..

Sierra Designs Zeta 3 - like the nice sized vestibule 26sf combined, heaviest of the 4 though. ($137)

Mountain Hardwear Drifter 3 - can get an awesome price ($107), lightest of the 4, but haven't seen many reviews.

Kelty Gunnison 3.1 - largest floor space of 4, 3rd in weight. ($138) Not much in comparison to the zeta, but I noticed some nice venting on the fly that the others here lack.

Alps Mountaineering Chaos 3 - Can't find any reviews anywhere, weight is on par with the drifter, the thing just looks cool..that counts for something right?! ($140) I know they aren't known for being upscale with tents, but this one seems like a more advanced tent compared to their others.

Anyhow, specs are, need something with 2 doors, decent vestibule size, and known for reliability. Traveling with myself (5ft11) wife (5ft4) and a 65 pound golden retriever. 3.5 season trips in the TN/KY area for 2-3 days each.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Those are my main options, trying to stay in the median price range to allow a little more of a budget for down sleeping bags and quality packs. The old army alice pack just isn't going to cut it anymore!

#133085 - 05/01/10 08:22 PM Re: Stuck on tent purchase.. [Re: BrandonK81]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
Sorry, I haven't seen any of these in person to comment. However, I will say that traveling with your wife and a large-ish dog, I would want a fairly large floor area. I would also look for something that has vertical doors -- that is, they don't slope inward, which lets in rain when they are opened to get in and out.

One trick I used when hiking with the family and a small tent was to carry a 5x8 foot silnylon tarp, which I rigged over the door of the tent. It makes a great porch for cooking, hanging out, etc., and it let us keep the door open for ventilation even in the rain.

#133092 - 05/01/10 09:30 PM Re: Stuck on tent purchase.. [Re: kbennett]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I would like to second the importance of a screen door that is upright rather than slanting so you don't have to close the tent up tight in a mere drizzle. In fact, you want to be able to keep the tent at least part-way open for ventilation unless, of course, you're contending with one of those thunderstorms that drives horizontal rain from every direction!

Most of us use lighter tents (this is, after all, a lightweight backpacking site), but they may not be within your budget. For double-wall tents, several folks on this forum use tents from Big Agnes or MSR. There are also a number of single-wall tents, particularly those by Tarptent.com, which are a bit roomier. Their Double Rainbow would definitely be big enough.

With two of you and the dog, you might need to consider a three-person tent. That's especially true of the lighter-weight double-wall tents, where the space has often been trimmed down to save weight! Look at the dimensions and (especially if you have to order the tent) lay them out with masking tape and string on your living room floor to be sure there's room for the three of you.

#133103 - 05/02/10 10:51 AM Re: Stuck on tent purchase.. [Re: OregonMouse]
BrandonK81 Offline

Loc: TN
Thanks for the input here, I'm going to stick with a 3 person, leaning towards the Mountain Hardwear one right now.

And that tarp idea sounds pretty good, would be nice not to have to be zipped up in the event of some rain..

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum