Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132667 - 04/25/10 09:58 AM New to this forum - Solo Gear List
Will King Offline

Loc: A city near you
Figured I'd post my gear list for my upcoming section hike. I don't have a scale with me so I can't weigh everything but everything I have I bought with weight in mind. Please let me know what you think!

GoLite Jam Backpack Large
Umbrella
GPS (haven't decided whether or not to take)

Sleeping:
Western Mountaineering Ultralite Super Sleeping Bag w/ stuff sack
Thermarest RidgeRest 3/4 Length
Space Blanket for Ground Cloth
Homemade Silnylon tarp w/ 8 stakes and 50' para cord

Cooking:
Snowpeak Gigapower Stove
Small fuel cannister
Windscreen
1 Liter Titanium Pot w/ Lid
P-38 Can Opener
16oz. Nalgene bottle for soaking
Titanium Spork
Sierra Cup
Camelbak bladder
32oz. Nalgene bottle

Clothing (no cotton):
Fleece hat
Wide brimmed sun hat
Fleece mittens
2 prs. lightweight long under wear bottoms
1 lightweight long underwear top
1 t shirt
1 short sleeve button up shirt
1 wool sweater
1 pair convertible pants
1 pair spandex shorts
1 rain jacket
1 pair rain pants
1 pair flip flops
1 pair running shoes
3 pairs Merino socks
Sunglasses

Ditty Bag #1:
Bug repellent
Sunscreen
Blistex
10 liter folding bucket
vitamins
lighter
small swiss army knife
toothbrush
toothpaste
floss
compass
flashlight
Iodine tabs

Ditty bag #2:
Emergency lighter, matches, and birthday candles
Signal mirror
Whistle
Spare batteries for flashlight
Sewing kit
First aid kit
small roll duct tape

Hygeine:
TP
Bronner's soap
Purell
Small washcloth
Small Camp towel

Maps
Guidebook
Journal
Pen

Food:
quinoa
tuna packs
mayo packs
tortillas
dried fruit
kippers
smoked oysters
via instant coffee packs
sugar
powdered milk
one head of broccoli
several apples/bananas
pack of some sort of turkey pepperoni
fruit and nut trail mix

Did I forget anything? Am I taking too much? I know weights would help; I'll try to update when I can get my hands on a scale. Please comment!

Will

#132668 - 04/25/10 11:24 AM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: Will King]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Where are going?
When?
Weather expected?
Length of trip?

-GPS, on a well marked tril is probably not going to be needed
-What is the weather going to be like for your trip, no bivy?
-Umbrella, nix. You have a rain-jacket.

-There are lighter stoves
-There are lighter pots
-Can opener, seriously? What the hell are you backpacking in? Consider different food choices and nix this.
-Nalgene bottle for soaking what? Nix.
-Sierra cup. You could eat and drink out of your pot.

-You have a lot of water storage: Camelbak, 10L bucket, 32oz and 16oz Nalgene. In most places 2L is plenty. Consider pairing this down.

-How long is this section hike?
-Are these clothes all packed to start or are some worm when you start?

-Consider nixing the spare underwear
-Consider nixing one pair of merino socks. One to wear and one in the pack is fine
-Any reason that you need the shorts with converible pants? Consider nixing one.
-Flip-flops can easily go.
-Are the rain pants necessary? Most hiking pants and running shorts dry quickly. If they are needed, then I would imagine that a bivy is needed too!

-Bug repellent and sunscreen, this can be repacked into 1oz bottles from REI.
-10L bucket, what for? Consider nixing.
-Flashlight, consider a headlamp.

-Signal mirror can go
-Spare batteries, how long is your hike, do you need these? Put fresh batteries in before you leave.

-Dr. Bs and Purell. Nix one and repackage.
-TP is a personal choice, you can go without.
-Is there a need for both a washcloth and towel
-Sewing kit. Generally there is nothing that duct-tape won't fix.

I am not going to comment on the food.

Edited by ChrisFol (04/25/10 07:58 PM)

#132674 - 04/25/10 04:59 PM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: Will King]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Here are a few more general items. Without knowing where you are from, where you plan to hike and the season of the year, it's almost impossible to make more specific recommendations. Putting more detail into your profile would help us help you!

You really can't control your pack weight without weighing everything. Don't trust manufacturers' weights; they're usually understated, sometimes by several ounces! If you want to lighten up, a postage scale weighing to 0.1 ounce should be your first priority.

In addition to what Chris said (I concur with all his recommendations except possibly the rain pants if you're going to be in a cold environment like the Rockies or northern Cascades):

Mylar "space blankets" make flimsy and relatively expensive ground cloths, since they will probably fall apart after a night or two. There are many better possibilities including a piece of painter's drop cloth (a little heavier than the cheapest kind) or polycro (the stuff they make plastic storm windows out of) or a piece of Tyvek.

Nalgene bottles weigh more than twice as much as Platypus or Evernew. Consider soda bottles, lots cheaper and lighter, although unlike Platy they don't roll up. Whatever you are soaking can be soaked in a zip lock freezer bag.

If you want a bladder, check for ones that are lighter than Camelback. Instead, I'd recommend two (maybe three, if you're in the desert) 2-liter Platypus or Evernew bottles (add a rehydration hose to one of them if you want it), which would be enough capacity for all your water needs, letting you leave the heavy bladder, Nalgenes and bucket at home.

Even Dr. Bronner's soap is harmful to the environment. Biodegradable or not, if it gets into water it will kill aquatic life.

Read the guidebook beforehand and leave it at home. If you must have a piece of it, either cut up or photocopy the book and take only the relevant pages.

I didn't see anything to keep your critical insulating gear (warm clothing and sleeping bag) dry. Stuff sacks are not waterproof (stick one in the bathtub and you'll see what I mean). The simplest is a plastic trash compactor bag (avoid scented ones) used as a pack liner. This will keep everything in your pack dry and eliminate the need for most stuff sacks.

Re the food, some of your options are really heavy. Check out Sarbar's website. She's a regular contributor here, although since she just had a baby she hasn't been posting much lately. It should give you lots of ideas for ditching the canned food (and the can opener!) and traveling a lot lighter.

More on clothing: Two short sleeve shirts are also unnecessary. Consider taking just one long-sleeve shirt instead (protection against bugs and sun) and the long underwear top. Consider if the wool sweater is heavier than a 200 or 300 weight fleece jacket. A pair of lightweight liner gloves is better on frosty mornings because you don't have to keep taking them off to light your stove or do other things that require nimble fingers.

Now it's time for my periodic warning about iodine. A lot of people are sensitive to it, and it can cause permanent injury. After using iodine to purify water for less than a month (and only on weekends), I had a severe reaction: a deep-seated rash (lichen planus) that lasted for months and left permanent scars. After 25 years, I still cannot eat anything containing iodized salt or any seafood. The CDC recommends that iodine be used only in an emergency. Long term use can affect your thyroid even if you don't have a reaction like I did. Iodine is contraindicated for pregnant women and small children, which should tell you something. It is also ineffective against cryptosporidium, which is becoming an increasing problem. Please, please ditch the iodine and get some chlorine dioxide tablets!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/25/10 05:15 PM)

#132679 - 04/25/10 07:42 PM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: OregonMouse]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
A lot of weight can be saved by leaving the broccoli,apples and bananas at home. If you need that as a "morale" boost than it is different.
I don't get the idea of the umbrella for many reasons (I use trekking poles and often have scrub) but some like it, so whatever...
hard cheese is a good source of fat , protein and calories.
To hydrate your veggies (if that is the intention) you could use the wide mouth Nalgene Cantene. Lighter than the hard type.
Good warning about soap. I do use Bronner's but a tiny amounts (literally one drop or two) and well away from water sources.
Definitely look up Sarbar's site . I re-hydrate in the Caddy (that is my Caldera Cone storage container) but essentially practice the "boil in the bag" method.
Very fuel efficient and of course you don't scorch your food, (so I never wash my pot, just the container)
That also means you can happily fiddle with the night set up as the food "cooks"
Franco

#132705 - 04/26/10 09:05 AM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: ChrisFol]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
you say nix alot

#132712 - 04/26/10 10:29 AM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: Will King]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Just so you know, posting a gear list is very brave. People take it as an open invitation to be really picky. It will be a long time before I do it. Although everyone's ideas are great, take them with some caution. Always remember to look at what your trip plan is (you haven't been really specific on this) and plan accordingly. Now, on to the nit picking.

You don't need a P-38 can opener and a SAK. If your swiss army knife has a can opener, then why take two, especially since you should think about not bringing cans.

Keep the umbrella, unless it is really heavy, then trade it for a light one.

You can switch paracord out with something lighter.

You don't need a sierra cup and a titanium pot.

If you need a nalgene because it fits your filter (you didn't say you had one) then you only need one. Otherwise, ditch them both for lighter options.

Personally, I don't like camelback bladders, but if you do, go ahead.

You don't need a 10 liter bucket. Sometimes if I know I need a large water container without carrying the water, I will bring an empty milk container. You can also use a heavy duty plastic bag.

No canned food.

#132716 - 04/26/10 11:57 AM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: Will King]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
HI Will

You are getting a lot of good advice here...don't mistake that advice for criticism. You asked a question, and a lot of very experienced hikers are giving you their best thoughts. And I agree that without knowing where you are going, and for how long, it is hard to give very specific recommendations.

Here are a few of my own, based primarily on summer and fall backpacking in the high sierra:

The umbrella is something I would never carry, but Colin Fletcher swears by them. Fair enough. he hikes more in the desert than I do!

I never take a GPS--maps and compass only. Saves weight, saves money, and the maps never run out of batteries. I do use GPS when I am sailing, so I am not opposed to the concept, just the application for backpacking.

I, too, use a painting tarp for a ground cloth. Space blankets don't hold up well.

We used to take a windshield, now we use a small sheet of closed cell foam that doubles as a cushion to sit on. We use a smaller stove than you do, and we're cooking for two people. We've never taken a can opener, because we've never taken a can. WE hate Sierra Club Cups because they are completely inefficient. Plastic is SO much better in every way. And we've found that two 32oz soda pop bottles per person is plenty of water storage.

You are taking more clothes than I do. I take one long-sleeve poly undershirt, primarily to sleep in--but I'll wear it under everything if it gets cold. One short-sleeve shirt to wear all day when hiking. One fleece top that is lighter than wool, and a light nylon waterproof rainshell just in case. No fleece hat--the rain shell has a hood, and that's enough for me. No mittens, as the fleece has pockets. No long underwear bottoms. My convertible pants are both longs and shorts, do I don't take another pair of anything except nylon swim trunks (also used to sleep in). No rain paints...but I like your flip flops. I take a pair of Crocs that I wear around camp, and to cross streams. I love them.

I don't take the large bucket--although I bought one once. Just never found a need for it. No lighter--I take matches. I don't take a signal mirror, but I do take a water filter (Katadyn) instead of the iodine. And my flashlight is a tiny headlamp that weighs about two ounces. And I only take a very short strip of duct tape, wrapped around my fly-rod tube. I use the sewing kit all the time.

I agree about copying the guidebook pages...but my wife always takes at least one book to read, sometimes two!

As for food, you have a lot of cans here, and cans weigh a lot. I prefer dried salamis and hard cheeses to canned fish...they taste fresher, and don't require extra packaging.

For my full list, and thoughts on all these subjects, you can check out more on our website.

Hope you have a great trip!

I do take both a washrag and a towel.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#132723 - 04/26/10 03:10 PM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: Will King]
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Your phrase "section hike" made me think of the AT for some reason, so my comments are kinda directed to that.

Concerning clothing...well, folks have talked about that already. Typically I'll only take along a pair of baselayer bottoms, hat, light gloves, and an insulating top. My preference is something with a zipper so I can fine-tune my temp while sitting around, but that's just me. I personally like the luxury of that third pair of socks for sleeping only; one pair that stays in the bag, one pair on my feet and one dry spare for wet/funky socks.

Shelter...even if you're indeed hiking the AT(my assumption), I'd still bring along at least a light bivy (Eqinox makes an 8 oz. one for pretty cheap by comparison) to protect your bag from splash. The shelters might be crowded, you might not make it to one, or you might just decide to spend a night out in one.

The food is about as individual as the hiker...personally, were I in your situation I'd opt for instant or freezer-bag cooking type stuff and leave most of the fresh fruits and veggies, with the knowledge that every week or so I'm going to stop at a trail town and do my damnedest to find a buffet and put them out of business smile But that may not be your style, and either is OK.

Navigation...the AT is so well travelled and marked that most of the navigation stuff is unnecessary. If I were going to take one thing, it would be a simple compass instead of the GPS.

Hope this spurs some thinking...but again, I just kind of assumed (for really no good reason) that you're talking about a section hike of the AT. If you're looking at some other trail, some of the above goes right out the window. Just use thy good sense!

#132735 - 04/26/10 06:38 PM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: Will King]
Will King Offline

Loc: A city near you
Thanks so much to all who replied! I guess I should have said where I was going etc. This is for an AT hike, starting at Springer Mtn. and ending somewhere in NC, probably Franklin but possibly Fontana Dam taking around 7 to 10 days. I'm not really on a fixed schedule. I fly to Atlanta Wednesday and I'm getting a shuttle to the trailhead Thursday morning. Weather is supposed to be warmish, highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s, some rain expected.

I've gotten some great ideas about what I might want to leave off or change and some things I'm still kind of confused about.

I hear you about the canned food but what is the alternative? I like the tuna packs but I think tuna might get a bit monotonous. What kind of protein does everyone eat besides tuna?

I tend to think in worst case scenario mode a lot and therefore over pack, especially when it comes to water and clothing. I am going to take less clothes.

As far as water goes, my plan was to have the bladder full so I could drink out of it while I had water in a bottle purifying. How do you folks purify? I had a bad experience with a filter system one time that soured me on the filter. Maybe they're better now; the one I used was so difficult to operate that you had to work up a sweat pumping.

What kind of stoves do you folks use? When I bought my Snow Peak, I thought I was getting one of the lightest out there without going the soda can route.

Thanks again, everybody, and I will post again when I complete my trip.

Will

#132737 - 04/26/10 07:18 PM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: Will King]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Everybody has different cooking styles, personally, I just boil water and use it for re-hydrated meals. There are lots of websites on this forum about trail cooking.

My typical day would be energy bars (Balance, Cliff etc) for breakfast, lunch and snacking. For dinner I have a hot meal (pasta, coos-cous, Mountain House meals, instant mash etc). If I am feel like more gourmet then I may pack in some oatmeal for breakfast. Granola is good also. For protain I have been known to just take the powder (Whey) and add it to my food and drink. If you want to pack in packet Tuna, then they also have other items like packets of chicken etc that you can bring.

For water-- I bring just one 2L platypus, for dryer sections I will add a second 2L. For filtration and purification I use a combination of Micropur tablets and the frontier pro filter.

There is nothing wrong with your stove. I own one and unless you don't want to go the alky (soda) stove route then you are fine with the stove you have.

#132738 - 04/26/10 07:30 PM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: Will King]
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Besides tuna, you can alos reliably find salmon and chicken in foil packets. Add some dried mashed potatoes, instant rice, and some spices like chicken bouillon and chives, and you're in business grin

Good luck! Make sure to stop at the Walasi-Yi for a shakedown smile

#132747 - 04/26/10 09:11 PM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: Will King]
Franco Offline

Will
Yor gear list is pretty good anyway, we are just fine tuning. keep that stove...
For protein I already mentioned hard cheese, something like mature cheddar or if you can Parmesan or at least decent parmesan (this is the US version...)
(Never , ever buy grated stuff, it's expensive crap )
Another type of cheese that last is the one in waxed round shapes.
For the first few days at least, Parma ham will keep. I wrap mine in foil after opening the pack. If you like also salami/cabanossi ( I get an MSG reaction so not for me...)
Extra virgin olive oil is also a good source of calories but kind of expensive in small qty and you need to transfer it to a non glass container, one that does not leak. I use an opaque Nalgene one. (white plastic...)
BTW, over there you have some excellent Pemmican bars . Don't remember the brand, got them from REI. (I make my own here)
Oh, I also bought some freeze dried mince meat to add to my cous cous/pasta meals. That and some dried veggies from the supermarket. Mushrooms are good ...
Franco

#132748 - 04/26/10 09:17 PM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: Will King]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Will King

I hear you about the canned food but what is the alternative? I like the tuna packs but I think tuna might get a bit monotonous. What kind of protein does everyone eat besides tuna?

http://www.trailcooking.com/

I cook mostly Freezer bag "boil and rehydrate" style.

If you're doing a thru hike with frequent resupplies, grabbing a can at a resupply might be ok when you don't carry it too long though..

Quote:

As far as water goes, my plan was to have the bladder full so I could drink out of it while I had water in a bottle purifying. How do you folks purify? I had a bad experience with a filter system one time that soured me on the filter. Maybe they're better now; the one I used was so difficult to operate that you had to work up a sweat pumping.

I use chlorine dioxide ("Aquamira" in the united states) it's pretty fast, doesn't taste (to me). I carry two platypus bottles (2l) but typically only carry about a litre or so in one when hiking. When I stop for water I chug what I have left, fill up a litre, and let it treat.

Quote:

What kind of stoves do you folks use? When I bought my Snow Peak, I thought I was getting one of the lightest out there without going the soda can route.

Actually it is. I typically use a soda can alcohol stove, but I also own a snow peak and it's perfectly fine as long as you can get a canister at your resupply points.

Have a look at my list to see what I'm usually carrying.

Best of luck - have fun and be safe.

Browse my pictures

#132758 - 04/26/10 10:58 PM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: phat]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
The stove is fine. I own one and use it for family camping and when I need quick meals and can't wait the time my alcohol stove would take.

Don't forget nuts for protein. When combined with rice or corn (or maybe pasta?) nuts make a complete protein. Think cashews or peanuts on curried couscous, walnuts with your oatmeal in the morning or crushed with thin pasta, almonds with almost anything. You get the idea.

You can also get spam in individual foil packets.

#132770 - 04/27/10 09:21 AM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: Franco]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By Franco

For protein I already mentioned hard cheese, something like mature cheddar or if you can Parmesan or at least decent parmesan (this is the US version...)
(Never , ever buy grated stuff, it's expensive crap )
Another type of cheese that last is the one in waxed round shapes.

One word.....Gouda.
Oh yeah. Now I am hungry. You can buy it in the states in a little red round shape with wax around it. Very good tasting cheese.

#132795 - 04/27/10 06:19 PM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: finallyME]
Franco Offline

Yes, the one in the red wax is the younger creamier type. Melts well, I use that for mac&cheese at home.
If not that much into cheese, you can get the one bite (sort of) BabyBel (Edam ?)
Franco

#132839 - 04/28/10 01:05 AM Re: New to this forum - Solo Gear List [Re: Will King]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
two words
Road Kill
Jim smile

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum