Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132222 - 04/17/10 12:48 PM I know nothing about GPS..?
Leep Offline

I am not a high tech person.
Ok, I am not that great at low tech either. eek

I am totally embarassed to say I don't even know how to use a compass.
I am strickly a trail walker/Urban camper and I might walk about 100 feet from the trail.

Anyhow, at its simplest can I say start at one point on the trail using the GPS to walk several miles off trail.
Then use the GPS to get back to the trail?
Or, do I need to know how to use a compass? before being able to navigate back to my original spot.

#132224 - 04/17/10 01:22 PM Re: I know nothing about GPS..? [Re: Leep]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
The short answer is no.

Handheld GPS's are pretty sophisticated devices even in their simplest form. Their is a huge range in the features they have too.

So first you should learn how to use one and spend some in the field testing it at places you are familiar with.

And you should learn how to use a compass and map no matter what, and also take them with you and do some testing of your skills, and again, at places you are familiar with.

But, neither of these are necessary to wonder off trail without getting lost. Bushwhacking around with no map, compass, or GPS, and finding your way back, is yet another skill. It has more to do with reading, understanding, and remembering the terrain, and landmarks both large and significant, and small or insignificant, and a decent sense of direction helps too.

Lacking the above two, I don't see how a GPS will really help you.

"You want to go where?"

#132230 - 04/17/10 04:44 PM Re: I know nothing about GPS..? [Re: Leep]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Do yourself a favor and become comfortable with a map and compass first. Especially the map. After that the GPS will make a whole lot more sense.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#132232 - 04/17/10 06:07 PM Re: I know nothing about GPS..? [Re: Trailrunner]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

+1 to Trailrunner's comments.

Also something to add to Bill's comments. If you do go off trail, every so often turn around and look where you just came from. Study the terrain and look for specific landmarks.
The first few times you may want to use some flagging tape. Just make sure you pick it up on your way out.

There are other ways to mark your trail but you can learn the basics first and then do some research on tracking.

Tango61.

#132234 - 04/17/10 07:15 PM Re: I know nothing about GPS..? [Re: Tango61]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I tuned in here because I, too, am completely clueless as to how to use a GPS. After three years, I'm still struggling with the owner's manual of my digital camera, so I suspect there's not much hope for me!

I have, however, had 68 years' experience with map and compass and have learned a lot of "seat of the pants" navigation as well--finding traces of abandoned trails and "reading" the terrain to determine where they might go next. None of these priceless experiences (thanks to my long-departed parents!) can be compensated for by a GPS, IMHO. Supplemented, yes, but you need to develop manual skills first.

This brings me to Tango61's point about turning around to check your back trail frequently. I can't stress sufficiently the importance of this! I do it even on trails, especially at trail junctions. It's amazing how different a trail can look when you're going the other direction! This fact is, after all, the saving grace of out-and-back hikes--you always see a lot of new things on your way back!

Here's a site I just found that will give you some basic info on map and compass skills. (The one I used to recommend seems to have disappeared from the internet, but this one looks good.)

There are orienteering clubs all over who make a competition out of map-and-compass navigation. This looks like a fun way to learn navigation skills!

#132263 - 04/18/10 10:36 AM Re: I know nothing about GPS..? [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Great advice, guys. IT is easy to get so excited about where you are going that you forget that you have to get back!

Back to the original poster: what you are asking also depends, to a huge extent, on the terrain. You can follow a GPS to recover your exact path---in other words, if you got to where you are, the GPS will tell you exactly how you got there, and you can follow it back.

I have used GPS while sailing, so I am not afraid of technology, but I don't use it in the mountains...because I want to explore, and I use maps to see where I could go, and how to get back.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#132503 - 04/22/10 11:41 AM Re: I know nothing about GPS..? [Re: Leep]
Leep Offline

Thanks for the info.

I have always had a terrible sense of direction.

Have tried to learn compass and map but will try again.

Maybe I can find a Cub scout to show me how. blush

#132558 - 04/22/10 09:47 PM Re: I know nothing about GPS..? [Re: Leep]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Talk to a Boy Scout and not a Cubby. Cubby's don't know jack 'bout navigation. Of course, they do build awesome wooden race cars.

Navigation is part of the 2nd Class rank requirements.
In fact, my old troop in the DFW area is setting up a course this Saturday for the guys to learn/practice. So, you might call around to some of the troops in your area to see if they do something similar.

#132602 - 04/23/10 10:19 PM Re: I know nothing about GPS..? [Re: Leep]
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By Leep

Thanks for the info.

I have always had a terrible sense of direction.

Have tried to learn compass and map but will try again.

Maybe I can find a Cub scout to show me how. blush

Good luck. I made it to Eagle and didn't know diddly about navigation until I started getting into SAR. The adult leaders I had just didn't know how...

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum