Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132472 - 04/21/10 02:12 PM bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref.
bmwrider Offline

Loc: Michigan, just N of detroit
A fair number of UL tents are as light as the bivys out there, what do you prefer and why? I own one of each now and can't see many reasons to use a bivy over a tent that is comparable weight, there are tents and bivy sacks in each weight class i.e. 3lb 2lb and lower, would any of you choose a bivy over a tent of the same weight.

#132473 - 04/21/10 02:25 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: bmwrider]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Depends. A bivy had other advantages over a tent, other than being supposedly lighter. It would really depend on where I was going and what I was doing. In high winds, I think I would take a bivy. If I expected heavy prolonged rain I would want a tent. If it didn't matter which shelter was used and weight was the primary concern, I would probably take a tent.

#132474 - 04/21/10 02:25 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: bmwrider]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I prefer a light tent.

I live and hike in Oregon and sometimes the mosquitos are so thick here the only way to stay sane on a long hike is to have a bugproof refuge. A bivy makes a poor refuge. The bald fact of rain in Oregon is another reason I favor a roomier shelter. Sometimes weight savings are not worth what you give up. YMMV.

#132475 - 04/21/10 02:28 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: bmwrider]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Before the advent of Tarptents and tents like the Fly Creek 1 and Carbon Reflex 1, I regularly used an Integral Designs Salathe Bivy - and a silnylon tarp. I found the bivy minimally useful without the tarp, since you had nowhere to cook or change clothes otherwise. Adding the weight of the bivy and tarp, I was at 3 pounds - within a few ounces of the Carbon Reflex 1 tent I use now.

Which do I prefer? Well, the CR1 allows me to sit up inside the shelter, even when it's in bug mode only; the bivy/tarp combo only let me sit up if I unzipped the mesh. The CR1 is better ventilated in the summer, but a bit cooler in the winter; spring and fall are a wash. The tarp/bivy combo allowed me to set up the tarp first, then deploy the bivy out of the rain. The CR1 may be pitchable fly-first, but that may require using the groundcloth (which adds a quarter pound) - I just haven't played with it that way yet, so I can't say for sure. The tarp could be pitched alone to make a lunch shelter; the CR1 fly can be pitched with the ground cloth to do the same (but there's that pesky extra weight again.)

Personally, I've settled on a solo tent in preference to a tarp/bivy combo, but it was a close call, probably driven as much by subjective preference as objective features.

Eliminate the tarp, and the choice becomes much easier: I'll take the tent over a tarpless bivy every time, even if it does weigh more.

#132476 - 04/21/10 02:32 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: aimless]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
I prefer the tent over the bivy for the same reasons as Aimless. I have gone on many hikes in the WA Cascades and the bivy boys are ALWAYS envious of my tent at afternoon nap time. They are cooking in their bivys and getting eaten by mossys.

#132477 - 04/21/10 02:45 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: bmwrider]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Neither anymore. Now it's tarp or hammock. If I'm really trying to cut weight, my tarp system (poncho shelter) is less than half the weight of the hammock (Hennessey Scout). However, for comfort and ease of setup, the hammock wins and I'll leave something else home to make up for the weight difference. I've not used a tent in many years and bivies in Texas are hot in all but the coldest days.

#132478 - 04/21/10 03:03 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: bmwrider]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Just to clarify, by "bivy" do you mean a bivy/tarp combo or just a bivy by itself??? There is a huge difference in weight and function between the two.

For the sake of this discussion I'll assume it's just a simple bivy, by itself with no structure e.i. poles. Some bivy/tarp combos weigh more than some tents. Then of course there are "bivy" tents like the much discussed Nemo GoGo. Is that shelter really a bivy or a small tent? It's complicated and direct comparisons are not simple.

Bivies have their advantages......and limitations. I will always reach for a bivy first unless I expect bugs, rain, cold temps, long nights or high winds. For me those are a lot of limitations. Call me crazy but I like to be comfortable at night. So if conditions are not ideal for a bivy I use something else. But I love it when I can get away with one. There is nothing like sleeping under the stars and packing up camp is so simple....I just stuff my bivy, with my bag/quilt still in it, into the bottom of my pack. Done. There is nothing more simple and for me simplicity is what it's all about when it comes to gear.

Notice I use the words "for me" often? Like I said it's not a simple comparison and it all comes down to whatever butters your popcorn.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#132480 - 04/21/10 03:13 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: Trailrunner]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I should add that, when bugs and stiff winds are not involved, a bivy/tarp combo is actually quite a nice shelter system in the rain. It just isn't any lighter to speak of than a solo tent.

#132481 - 04/21/10 03:45 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: finallyME]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
After seeing a fellow backpacker/bivy user get soaked in a Yosemite thunderstorm getting in and out of her bivy whilst I was dry in my TT Contrail I'm a total tent user.

I now have the even better (IMHO) TT Moment. The new UL solo tents are just so much better for so many reasons, i.e.
>bug proof,
>shelter for your pack,
>a vestibule for rainy/windy weather cooking,
>walls & floors to keep out creepy-crawlies,
>dry entrances,
>ventilation
etc. etc. (meaning that good feeling of having a "safe haven" during a bad storm, where you can sit up, stretch out, roll over and, in short, be comfortable)

Eric

#132482 - 04/21/10 07:00 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: bmwrider]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
For alpine trips where you expect high winds and a flat level spot bigger than a bivy is rare then a bivy works great. I have spent some time on exposed narrow ridges sleeping in a bivy and it worked great.

A bivy works great in a snow cave.

Most of the time hammock under a good tarp works best for me.

#132483 - 04/21/10 08:27 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: bmwrider]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Not me. I prefer the head room and mosquito proof tent. I have gotten soaked just trying to get in and out of a bivy and changing clothes is hard in a bivy. I have used my goretex bivy - Western Mountaineering 21 ounces - exactly once, in late fall in Yosemite in Tuolumne meadows and it worked great - no mosquitoes. no rain or snow, and back then I had n comparable weight tent.
I would never use a bivy under a tarp, thats the worst of two worlds.
Jim

#132485 - 04/21/10 08:51 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: bmwrider]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By bmwrider
A fair number of UL tents are as light as the bivys out there, what do you prefer and why? I own one of each now and can't see many reasons to use a bivy over a tent that is comparable weight, there are tents and bivy sacks in each weight class i.e. 3lb 2lb and lower, would any of you choose a bivy over a tent of the same weight.

I prefer the tarp/bivy combo because I find that they are lighter, cheaper and more versitle than a tent. I use a SpinnTwin (9.8oz), with a Tigoat bivy (6.8oz), total weight is 16.6oz-- I haven't come across a tent that is as light as that, the Contrail is more than 1/2 heavier.

#132486 - 04/21/10 10:49 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: ChrisFol]
Jimshaw Offline

Chris
My silnylon tent has a full floor, doors, and mosquito net. With cord, 4 stakes and a stuff sack it weighs 16 ounces.
Jim

My sleeping bags have goretex or dryloft shells, why would I need a bivy under a tarp?

#132488 - 04/21/10 11:07 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: Jimshaw]
ChrisFol Offline

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Chris
Why would I need a bivy under a tarp?

Jim, you don't-- and I never said that you, or anyone else did. A tarp+bivy is my method.

IMHO a bivy is an optional piece of gear in some parts of the world. Even here in Colorado I will leave my bivy at home during some of the shoulder seasons and at lower elevations and just sleep under my tarp, in my bag, on a piece of tyvek.

I generally only take the bivy if incliment weather is expected or in high bug season.

A bivy, for under 7oz, is just nice to have for my comfort and mainly to protect my down bag when it rains.

Curious, what does a gortex bag weigh?

Edited by ChrisFol (04/21/10 11:12 PM)

#132489 - 04/21/10 11:32 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: ChrisFol]
Jimshaw Offline

Chris
As I think about this, most of gear is ancient. My only "modern" sleeping bag is my WM Iroquois and its maybe ten years old and has a - gasp - non-waterproof shell and weighs 27 ounces. Its my normal summer bag and I sleep in it in my fleece pants and a jacket if its cold. Next is my Marmot Pinnacle with dryloft shell and I'm not certain what it weighs, maybe 42 oz? I'm not sure, but its made with "850" down and conservatively rated at 15 degrees. My 20 year old WM super kodiak goretex winter bag with an extra 4 ounces of down in the draft tube and a couple of mods weighs 56 ounces. A lot (most) of the UL sleeping bags are cut very small, I couldn't sleep in them.

Edited by Jimshaw (04/21/10 11:34 PM)

#132492 - 04/22/10 12:14 AM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: Jimshaw]
CJC Offline

Loc: Southern Nevada
I have used both; ID Silshelter with a homemade bivy and my sons TT Rainbow. I prefer the Rainbow when I can get it but thats only if he is willing to share a tent on a scout bping trip. I also have a BA(2) and a Marmot(3) but those only go if I am sharing a tent.

#132496 - 04/22/10 03:48 AM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: bmwrider]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I have been using a tarp and bug bivy. It worked well for me, but I plan on ordering a Tarptent soon. The bugs are just too bad where I hike, and now I am hiking with my four legged friend I need to make some changes. I will likely still carry my tarp though, as I like cooking in the dry.

Howie

#132499 - 04/22/10 09:40 AM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: ChrisFol]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“I prefer the tarp/bivy combo because I find that they are lighter, cheaper and more versitle than a tent. I use a SpinnTwin (9.8oz), with a Tigoat bivy (6.8oz), total weight is 16.6oz-- I haven't come across a tent that is as light as that…”

$175 + $90 = $265 @ 16.6oz

And then I use this tent setup: the zpack hexamid: http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid.shtml
I paid $249 for mine but I see he’s upping his price to $275. He claims 8.2oz, mine was slightly less at 8.0oz including seam sealing and guylines.
I do use a 1.5oz polycro ground sheet on the inside as recommended.

And now I can sit up and be totally bug proof and rain proof. This is nice when I’m trying to change clothes with an infestation of mosquitoes around. And it has opened up more space in my Murmur.
-Barry

#132512 - 04/22/10 02:07 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: BarryP]
ChrisFol Offline

Originally Posted By BarryP
“I prefer the tarp/bivy combo because I find that they are lighter, cheaper and more versitle than a tent. I use a SpinnTwin (9.8oz), with a Tigoat bivy (6.8oz), total weight is 16.6oz-- I haven't come across a tent that is as light as that…”

$175 + $90 = $265 @ 16.6oz

And then I use this tent setup: the zpack hexamid: http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid.shtml
I paid $249 for mine but I see he’s upping his price to $275. He claims 8.2oz, mine was slightly less at 8.0oz including seam sealing and guylines.
I do use a 1.5oz polycro ground sheet on the inside as recommended.

And now I can sit up and be totally bug proof and rain proof. This is nice when I’m trying to change clothes with an infestation of mosquitoes around. And it has opened up more space in my Murmur.
-Barry

I was actually looking into one of those, but couldn't really find many field reviews-- I was mainly concerned about its dimensions-- it looks very narrow and I was also wondering about the inevitable rain/spray getting in through the netting. How do you like the Hexamid?

The cuben tarp is also temping at $150/3.2oz as a replacement to my SpinnTwinn-- I don't think I could justify it to the Mrs though laugh

#132528 - 04/22/10 06:00 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: finallyME]
CamperHiker Offline

Loc: UT
I agree with finallyME, as far as the wind and rain aspect. Other wise not weight issues I'd take a tent too.

#132546 - 04/22/10 06:56 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: ChrisFol]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
I have been 4 nights in it, including a 5 hour rainstorm. But then I was in the woods so that the trees held back any blowing rain. I leave my sandals outside in the rain so they can get washed.
So far my stuff has stayed dry--- which seems amazing to me as now I have more view of the outside world than I had in my previous tents. This is the fastest tent I’ve ever set up (~60 seconds). In the morning, I just stuff my tent into the bag, keeping the mesh to the center of the ball/wad to protect the mesh more. Maybe I’m over cautious in that respect. Anyway, I keep thinking “What? My tent is already packed?”

So far I’m OK with it, but I need some more nights to give a more in depth review.

-Barry

#132555 - 04/22/10 09:24 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: BarryP]
ChrisFol Offline

Originally Posted By BarryP
This is the fastest tent I’ve ever set up (~60 seconds). In the morning, I just stuff my tent into the bag, keeping the mesh to the center of the ball/wad to protect the mesh more. Maybe I’m over cautious in that respect. Anyway, I keep thinking “What? My tent is already packed?”

So far I’m OK with it, but I need some more nights to give a more in depth review.

-Barry

Besides the weight, the ease and speed of set-up and pack-up is another positive. I have my tarp set-up and am already cooking before some of my hikers have even un-packed their tent-- and in a morning seeing them struggle to stuff their inflateable pads, tents and bags back into their indivdual stuff sacks makes me chuckle as I roll my pad into my pack-frame, throw my bag into the pack liner, put the tarp in my outside mesh pocket all in under 5minutes.

I look forward to a more detailed report on your new tent.

Edited by ChrisFol (04/22/10 09:24 PM)

#132568 - 04/23/10 01:02 AM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: bmwrider]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
I've been pinned down for too many hours due to bad weather to ever use just a bivy. A bivy and tarp is much more doable. I like room to move and can't stand being cramped in little spaces for long periods of time. That is probably why I like to spend so much time outdoors.

-Skippy

#132589 - 04/23/10 07:28 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: skippy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Weighing in here: My main problem is that my hiking companion is an 80-lb. dog. I therefore require a bug-free shelter for him as well as me! In addition, he feels more secure and comfortable in an enclosed space that reminds him of his crate at home. For these reasons, I take a tent. It's a really lightweight tent, the Tarptent/Gossamer Gear Squall Classic, 27 oz. with stakes. From the research I've done, a tarp for two, groundsheet for two plus bug net for two (haven't found any of the last so I'd have to figure out my own) would weigh just as much. The tent goes up really fast and is very comfortable. I can have it up within a couple minutes of stopping for the night. I can see out the back and front, and even the sides if I put my cheek on the ground instead of on the pillow atop my 2.5" thick insulated air pad.

I really would like the freedom of view of a tarp, but not during bug season. They don't appear to make bug nets for dogs, lol! I plan to try it next fall and see how Hysson reacts. If I have to keep him tied up, it won't work. Every couple of hours he stands up, stretches and then turns around three times before lying down. If I have to tie him to keep him under the tarp, I'll be spending the night untangling him.

Re a stand-alone bivy: It weighs as much as a lightweight tent and there's no room for my dog. Plus I have to get up several times a night (old age) and, when it's raining, appreciate the roof overhead so I can crawl out of and into my sleeping bag without getting wet!

Your Mileage, of course, May Vary, especially if you don't have a relatively large dog to fuss over! Of course I very much enjoy fussing over him--he's my best hiking buddy!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/23/10 07:31 PM)

#132599 - 04/23/10 09:31 PM Re: bivy vs. UL tent, whats your pref. [Re: OregonMouse]
ChrisFol Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Weighing in here: My main problem is that my hiking companion is an 80-lb. dog. I therefore require a bug-free shelter for him as well as me!

Besides the wife, my dog is also my main hiking companion and when it is just her and me, she sleeps fine under the tarp. As for bugs, we treat her (the dog, not the wife :D) with Frontline and Heartguard. I have even been switching to the K9 Advantix for the mosquito months and that seems to work fine. I also make sure to check her every night for ticks etc and pack a pair of tweezers in her pack for the occasion.

At night, I use a makeshift tie-out from paracord that attaches from her collar to the neareast tree, or stake if above treeline. Obviously if your dog needs stronger cord or as a tendancy to chew, then use something other than paracord, but my dog just feels the slightest "tug" and stops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum