Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131918 - 04/11/10 09:27 PM lightest coffee pot?
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
In my quest for the lightest cross country ski coffee maker, I have a new set up. A Vargo triad 1 oz stove, an Evernew mug (actually very old), a piece of windbreak, a ti spoon, and a lid from a ti pan to set it on, total 4.5 oz.

its all ti except for the wind break - stay tuned for further detals.

#131920 - 04/11/10 10:02 PM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: Jimshaw]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
At the risk of insulting those of you who are into gourmet coffee I would offer that the easiest/lightest way I have found to "make coffee" is to add freze dried coffee to my granola. It gives me the caffien(sp?) I like and seems to work fine with unheated water.

#131923 - 04/12/10 08:12 AM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: Jimshaw]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Then what? Cowboy coffee? Filters? Instant?

I have an old aluminum perk that I use for car camping that simply makes great coffee but I'm not willing to haul such a piece of hardware around in a pack. So, I use a setup like yours and spoon the grounds either directly into the water (cowboy), or, pre-make some filter packets. If I'm really trying to cut weight and trash, it'll be Folgers instant. I have a friend trying to talk me into Starbucks Via packs but it seems pricy for what you get. Esbit or cook fire for heat.

#131949 - 04/12/10 05:43 PM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: Dryer]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
you can buy filter paper at the grocery store, spoon coffee grounds into them then tie them off.. dunk the pouch into the water, wait 5-10 min and voila you have your coffee. lightest coffee pot hands down

#131957 - 04/12/10 07:50 PM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: Jimshaw]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I use a stainless "Tea Ball" filled with grounds and let it sit in a stainless cup and simmer a few minutes over a penny stove.

The stainless cup is not light, so it can't qualify, but the tea ball works really good, and it can't weigh much, so I offer it to those who, like me, don't like chewy coffee.

I always grind some Eight o`Clock French Roast beans and put them in a baggie before I head out. I ain't givin up good coffee when I'm camping out.

"You want to go where?"

#131967 - 04/12/10 09:39 PM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: Dryer]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Dryer
TI have a friend trying to talk me into Starbucks Via packs but it seems pricy for what you get.

Oh it's pricy - just like the neighborhood Crack dealer.. but once you try it you're hooked.

I've discovered that if you're willing to suffer through the herds at Costco you can get it there sometimes for about half the price you can buy it in Starbucks. I have to lay on a supply
for hiking..
Browse my pictures

#131973 - 04/12/10 10:30 PM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I was at Costco today and the pack of VIA was $15.79 and there was a note about and it that said "$.66 per servicng" and thats too rich for my blood.
I bought two large size boxes of Tasters Choice instead, and some coffee beans.
Jim

#131975 - 04/12/10 10:37 PM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Taster's choice was always what I carried before VIA.

Now having said that, I know VIA gets flavour from both instant and "micro ground" coffee.. Wonder how it would work if I could grind the living heck out of some good expresso beans and mix a little into some tasters choice, how much it would "improve" flavour..

Browse my pictures

#131977 - 04/12/10 10:52 PM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: phat]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I use an MSR filter. Place the grounds in the filter basket. Place the basket in the mug. Pour boiling water through it and let it sit for a few minutes. It works well but many a time I simply take tea bags instead. I find them less messy and easier to handle.

Howie

#131979 - 04/12/10 11:09 PM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: Jimshaw]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
[quote=Jimshaw]In my quest for the lightest cross country ski coffee maker, I have a new set up. A Vargo triad 1 oz stove, an Evernew mug (actually very old), a piece of windbreak, a ti spoon, and a lid from a ti pan to set it on, total 4.5 oz.

I have a pretty similar setup:
- Fancy Feast cat can stove (0.3oz)
- SP 600 (2.8oz)
- Homemade windscreen (0.5oz)
- Foil lid for the pot (0.3oz)
- Folding Ti Spork (0.4oz)
- Mini bic (0.4oz)
- Bandana (saves burning my hands) (0.3oz)
- 8 fluid oz fuel bottle (1oz)
Total = 6oz

I use a bigger mug because I also use it to cook in (holds just over 2cups of water). If I was just using it for coffee (no cooking) then I would switch to my MSR TI mug at 1.9oz, which would bring the total weight down to 5.1oz.

Just by switching out your Vargo stove to a fancy feast would bring your coffee system to under 4oz and only cost you a $1. If you really want to lighten up then change out your mug for a BPL trappers mug at 1.3oz and that should save you another 1.1oz. You could easily get the whole system under 3oz.

#131993 - 04/13/10 07:16 AM Re: lightest coffee pot? - Wimps! [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
All this talk about 3 and 4 ounce coffee sets - you're all wimps! Real men (and women)carry 8-ounce kitchens, and laugh at the extra weight! I've even heard tell of hardy souls who carry kitchens that weigh a full pound, and scoff at all this ultralight nonsense. grin

#131995 - 04/13/10 08:16 AM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: phat]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
grind the living heck out of some good expresso beans and mix a little into some tasters choice, how much it would "improve" flavour..

We re-grind all coffee here. We use a Bunn coffee maker at home. Hills Brothers is our favorite and we found that regrinding for a couple seconds wakes things up a bit and boosts yield. So, yeah, grinding beans to a fine powder and adding to instant might just make instant taste fresher. The sediment sinks anyway. Folgers instant seems richer than others, so that's where I'd start.

#132001 - 04/13/10 11:14 AM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: ChrisFol]
Pat-trick Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
that's a pretty good trick, getting an 8 oz fuel bottle to weigh 1 oz. how'd you do that? freeze dry?

I'm planning to bring one of those filters from REI, put it in an insulated mug, use my pocket rocket, or a wood stove if i can perfect the one i'm workin on.

my coffee: preground french roast from Starbucks, 2 heaping tablespoons per 6 oz cup water. strong is the word. served with honey and nonfat instant powdered milk. King of the Woods.

Chris recommended a mug, I have to go find that post, see what it was. he's always got good suggestions.

Edited by Pat-trick (04/13/10 11:20 AM)

#132003 - 04/13/10 12:05 PM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: Pat-trick]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By Pat-trick
that's a pretty good trick, getting an 8 oz fuel bottle to weigh 1 oz. how'd you do that? freeze dry?

The fuel bottle holds 8 fluid ounces-- the empty bottle weighs 1 dry ounce. A fluid ounce is a measure of volume, a dry ounce is a measure of weight.

I'm planning to bring one of those filters from REI, put it in an insulated mug, use my pocket rocket, or a wood stove if i can perfect the one i'm workin on.

I hope you do not plan on boiling water in that insulated mug wink

Chris recommended a mug, I have to go find that post, see what it was. he's always got good suggestions.

If you are refering to that blue plastic mug, then I wouldn't boil water in that either-- but it is a nice, light and cheap option for a mug. smile

Edited by ChrisFol (04/13/10 02:05 PM)

#132015 - 04/13/10 03:18 PM lightest coffee pot (for car camping) [Re: DJ2]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I was given a great Italian "Italexpress" Pezz Eti coffeemaker. It's a pressurized percolation unit. Makes good coffee taste better and I think it's because the top unit (which unscrews from the bottom) is pressurized.

My version sits on a burner but they make an electric home version too.

Eric

#132048 - 04/13/10 10:37 PM Re: lightest coffee pot (for car camping) [Re: 300winmag]
taM Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
I drink tea

problem solved.

#132060 - 04/14/10 01:45 AM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: Jimshaw]
Pat-trick Offline

I don't see the French Press part. How much does IT weigh?

My French Press is a 9" X 9" square of an old favorite madras shirt that wore out. Put the coffee in, pick up the four corners, put in cook pot with water (not the fingers, unless ya want to show off), dunk it up and down, twirl it all around, get water to every ground, after a minute or two of mashing it and smashing it, pick it up, let it drip out, then squeeze the water out of the rag.

I use these rags to make pots of coffee here at the cabin. I'll use 2-3 to make a regular size pot of 10 cups of coffee, which lasts me about 3 days. But for one cup at a time, one rag will do.

It's a dual use rag: filter, plus I get to recycle. So, filter and recycle effort.

Oh, weight, I estimate at 1 gram. A one gram French Press. I'm French, and I press the thing when coffee's ready. goodjob awesome

it's still heavier than hyours though, 'cause my tin can stove is about 7 oz probably and the Terra Weekend pot/pan is 7.8 oz, which brings my total to 14.8 oz and 1 gram. heh heh. <figuring sounds> uhh.... that would be 14 oz, 26 grams. no wait! grin 4303 g

but i'll be drinking REAL coffee, jim. you'll have to throw your food bag cord in your coffee to give it any flavor, right? Instant? lol guess i'm a weinie, gotta have that dark roast.

to sum up, i'm an oz shy of a pound for a cup of coffee, and that's without a cup! hope i enjoy it... laugh

#132062 - 04/14/10 01:51 AM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: Pat-trick]
Pat-trick Offline

oh, on second thought, that would be a mess. better to get a 1 oz filter from rei

the stove and pots don't count for coffee weight, either, 'cause i had to have them for coocking, so my french set-up would be the filter and whatever cup i bring. i do like the REI Thermo Mug, 6 ounces. It holds 12 oz, and keeps it hot.

#132088 - 04/14/10 01:19 PM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: Pat-trick]
Dryer Offline

Geeez....all this stuff to make coffee. grin

Cowboy coffee, just like in the movies:
Boil water.
Spoon in a couple tablespoons of grounds per cup.
Bring back to boil, then simmer a minute or two.
Stir once (because you're bored).
Let sit for a minute.
Add a glug of cool water to settle the grounds...or don't...they'll settle in the cup.
Drink.
Rinse.
Hike.

I had women fighting me for my cowboy camp coffee a couple weeks ago, at a youth campout. It's quite good.

#132098 - 04/14/10 10:25 PM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: phat]
Dryer Offline

Just received (and tried) a packet of Starbucks Via in the mail from a friend. Yup, they've got something here. Best I can tell, it's about 1 teaspoon of dark instant with 3 or 4 espresso beans ground to dust. I would not have guessed it to be instant. Quite strong considering how little comes in the packet.

#132112 - 04/15/10 08:59 AM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: phat]
Rick Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Try this Instant Expresso (down the page a bit). I get it at an Italian grocery.

#132193 - 04/16/10 11:11 PM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: Dryer]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
I was in WallyWorld last night and found Folger's 'pods' in both medium and dark roast. I also saw some Senseo brand. The cost was $4.24 for 18 pods = 23.55 cents per serving.

They looked pretty convenient. Drop one in your mug and pour boiling water over it and let it sit for awhile.

I'll try them out next weekend and report back.

#132265 - 04/18/10 12:34 PM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: Jimshaw]
oak leaf Offline

Loc: fl
I use the one cup coffee bags,no clean up and it taste better than instant.

#132321 - 04/19/10 12:39 PM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: oak leaf]
TheJD Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I use an aluminum 2 cup percolator for making coffee. It also doubles as my actual cooking pot. I can't seem to find where I bought it from so I don't know the weight, but I've been pondering trying to find a similiar pot made out of TI. Since I use it for boiling/cooking, the only real weight that comes from making coffee is the stand and strainer that goes into the pot, so it adds very little weight.

#132325 - 04/19/10 02:05 PM Re: lightest coffee pot? [Re: Tango61]
Dryer Offline

Tim, we camped at Fairfield SP last weekend. Made Cowboy style...I think I'm sticking with that way. Cleanup was dumping grounds, a rinse and wipedown.

So....are grounds actually trash, compost, good for the earth? What? grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum