Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130779 - 03/16/10 01:37 AM Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff?
billk Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I think I may have asked this question a few years ago, but I see lots of new names (I haven't been here regularly lately)on the forum, so here goes:

I've always had packs with at least a few pockets, either commercial or homemade, but I notice that many of the lighter packs have very few. To those of you who use near-pocketless packs, where do you put your little stuff? I'm thinking of headlamp, knife, compass, sunblock, first aid kit, fire starter, lip balm, bug dope, stuff like that.

#130780 - 03/16/10 02:07 AM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: billk]
lori Offline

I have a Granite Gear pack - two pockets. I use a hydration bladder.

In one pocket go the gloves, pack cover, denatured alcohol bottle, compass and map. In the other goes the buff, the glasses in case, bug junk, anti skin cancer lotion, headlamp and perhaps a random trail snack.

1st aid kit, personal hygiene items, and random emergency items (extra matches, tinder, sheets of foil, firestarter, a little more cordage) all fit in pint size ziplocs which then all go in a small stuff sack (necessity bag) together. Clothing goes in a seam sealed bag with the quilt. Hammock in its own sack goes in on top of the quilt bag, bear can goes in on top of those, jacket and tarp in small bags get stuffed in around the can, kitchen and necessity bag ride on top, rain gear goes over it all.

Unless it's likely to rain, in which case the tarp and associated necessities plus the poncho/rain jacket will ride on top of the pack outside the main bag, under the cross strap.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#130782 - 03/16/10 07:06 AM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: billk]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
The pack I use now has a lid compartment, so it all goes in there. When I used a Vapor Trail, my water bottle and water filter went in the two outside pockets. First aid kit went in a small zippered Granite Gear pouch (they call them Air Pockets); map, headlamp, glasses, and compass went in a larger pouch; TP, hand sanitizer, and trowel in a third one. Those went inside the main pack, on the top. My knife, spare batteries, and repair items were part of the first aid kit. I also had a second light: a Princeton Tec Pilot light, which clipped nicely onto the webbing on the shoulder strap, so I always knew where it was. Gloves and stocking cap were usually on my hands and head, if they came along; otherwise, they went in a small stuff sack which also lived near the top of the pack, or got shoved into an outside pocket with the water bottle or filter.

#130785 - 03/16/10 08:09 AM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: billk]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
I use a small stuff sack for all the little stuff -- first aid kit, headlamp, glasses, sunscreen, etc. Stow it in the top of my pack.

#130787 - 03/16/10 09:30 AM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: kbennett]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Knife, compass, camera, reading glasses,a small bottle of bug dope (where nedded) and nail clippers are in the pockets of my clothes. First Aid kit, headlamp and other stuff is in the pack---since I won't need that unless I am going to stop on the trail anyway.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#130791 - 03/16/10 11:12 AM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: billk]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Each group of small things (first aid, teeth cleaning, misc, etc.) goes into a zip lock bag. These bags then go into the front bag of my pack.

With the small things in my front pack (along with hats, water, etc.) I can get to them easily while hiking.

The front bag of my pack easily clips on and off my pack. When I get into camp I detach this bag and put it into my tent or hang it from my clothesline. That way it is handy to get any small thing that I need while at camp.

#130794 - 03/16/10 12:01 PM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: DJ2]
Redfacery Offline

Loc: NY
Everything has a precise spot, and it changes practically every trip. That's something I love doing, trying completely new configurations and organizations and by the third or fourth day of a trip, I will have stuff settled into wherever works best. Usually everything is inside a combination of ziplocks and/or small stuffsacks.

I always find, however, that having the hammock, water, and purifier as handy as possible is the best setup. Nothing like a half hour nap swinging lazily by a stream while you wait for water...

#130799 - 03/16/10 12:58 PM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: billk]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By billk
I think I may have asked this question a few years ago, but I see lots of new names (I haven't been here regularly lately)on the forum, so here goes:

I've always had packs with at least a few pockets, either commercial or homemade, but I notice that many of the lighter packs have very few. To those of you who use near-pocketless packs, where do you put your little stuff? I'm thinking of headlamp, knife, compass, sunblock, first aid kit, fire starter, lip balm, bug dope, stuff like that.

I use a G4. In the outside mesh pocket I will stash my rain gear, fleece hat and fleece gloves. My small items (Headlamp, FAK, Toiletries, Skin care, waterproof matches, duct-tape and 50ft spectra cord) are organized into ziplocks and go into what I call my ditty bag, which is a 4L Sea2Summit Ultra-Sil drybag.

Hydration and Filtration consists of two 2L platypus, MicroPur tabs and the Frontier pro, this is very packable on the outside of the pack with rubber bands to stop it all unfolding.

Primary firestarter is a mini-bic and can be found within my cook pot, along with the stove, windscreen, bandana and other cooking items. This all nests together without a problem.

Sleeping bag and night clothes all get stored in a S2S 13L Ultra-Sil drybag. Day clothes get stored in an 8L drybag of the same brand. Food is stored in an applicable container for the area.

Knife, map and compass I carry on me.

Edited by ChrisFol (03/16/10 01:07 PM)

#130800 - 03/16/10 12:58 PM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: billk]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
Things I use regularly (sanitizer, bug juice, chapstick, map, sunglasses, camera in a sandwich bag) all fit in my shirt pocket and my zipper pant pocket.

Also when I’m with a larger group, I keep several Ibuprofen/Tylenol packs in my pant pocket. I become a popular guy on the 2nd day of scout outings whistle.

-Barry

#130812 - 03/16/10 04:24 PM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: billk]
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Most of my "essentials" get put into a small mesh bag and stored in the outside center mesh pocket (like ChrisFol, I use a G4). Compass goes around my neck or in my zippered pant pocket with my map for easy access. Knife gets clipped in one of my pants pockets.

#130815 - 03/16/10 05:04 PM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: billk]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
Worlds greatest thing ever invented. I bought a waterproof stuff sac, will never look back

#130844 - 03/16/10 10:49 PM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: Boomer]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I store it with the items with which it is used. Matches inside the pot. Knife in the food bag. Headlamp with my clothes (because I never need it until the temp drops with sunset). Repair items with the FAK. Gloves, hat, bug juice, sunscreen in a small stuff sack at the top of my pack.

#131303 - 03/26/10 01:19 PM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: gorge_medic]
redroach Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
I still own an old Dana Designs wetrib. They will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands and off of my pack before it will be taken away.

I dread it finally crumbling to dust though

TV

#131419 - 03/29/10 02:33 AM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: billk]
bmwrider Offline

Loc: Michigan, just N of detroit
I use a ultralight stuff sack in the bonnet pocket just to make it easy to get to the small stuff and it gives me something to set the stuff on so it does not dissapear in the grass

#131456 - 03/29/10 03:23 PM the Little Stuff? Aftermarket side pockets [Re: Glenn]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I have 2 REI aftermarket side pockets on my pack and a Dana "Wet Rib" front pocket & water bottle holder.

I use these 3 pockets to keep my "necessaries handy. Front pouch has map, compass, energy bars, electrolyte powder packets, etc.

Side pockets are for 1st aid kit, poop kit, stove kit, fuel canisters and toilet kit.

Top lid of my REI Cruise UL 60 pack houses my GTX parka & mosquito net.

Eric

#131585 - 03/31/10 02:44 AM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: billk]
Peter Offline

Loc: United States
I like the pockets of my clothes when it makes sense; I rarely use my flashlight if I haven't gotten into my camp clothes. YPocketsMV

#131610 - 03/31/10 03:09 PM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: Peter]
OwenM Offline

Loc: AL
Originally Posted By Peter
I like the pockets of my clothes when it makes sense

Now there's a thought!

I have a lot of stuff divided into OR ditty bags that makes it easy to get to and stash related items.
For example, in case of temperature drop and/or getting wet: extra socks, spare base layer top/bottom, beanie, and windproof fleece gloves all fit in one of the small ones.
SS cup, Lexan cup, spork, and Primus stove(not the fuel canister, though) go in a medium with room to spare.

Also have that little bitty TNF Base Camp duffle bag that is a bit bulky, but holds stuff for cleaning/hygiene/toiletry/personal items/batteries/headlamp/first aid kit/emergency firestarting kit, though sometimes it can be a pain getting to individual things without unloading the rest.

#131661 - 04/06/10 04:13 PM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: billk]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
My packs have minimalist pockets:water bottle pockets on the sides and a big center-back open-top pocket with a sleeve pocket under that. Small essentials go in the sleeve pocket. Items that don't fit go in an appropriately sized ziploc. in the larger back pocket.

#131769 - 04/08/10 01:25 PM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: billk]
CamperHiker Offline

Loc: UT
I usually end up putting all my little stuff in a ziplock bag at the top of my bag. Works great, isn't as Convenient, but also offers a bit of water resistance.

----------------
www.branchwhipped.com Outdoor gear giveaways, reviews, adventures

#131826 - 04/09/10 03:48 AM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: CamperHiker]
CJC Offline

Loc: Southern Nevada
I added the belt pockets to my Vapor Trail and the items I need while hiking go into them. Chap stick, camera, trail snacks, compass. Sunscreen clips to the shoulder strap with a small biner. The other items go into a bright orange sil dry bag marked with reflective tape that is one of the last items that goes into the top of the pack. The other last item is the first aid kit sitting beside it.

#132221 - 04/17/10 11:49 AM Re: Where Do You Keep the Little Stuff? [Re: CJC]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Small stuff that I need easy access to I keep on the trail in my hip belt pockets. Small stuff I don't need until I'm in camp, I keep in a stuff sack near the top of my pack.

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum