Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132121 - 04/15/10 12:34 PM 2 person tent
Wstrnsky Offline

Loc: Montana, USA
I am looking to update some older heavy gear. And am looking at a tent,(just recently replaced my pack). I have joined the local REI co-op and they have alot of choices. How are peoples experience with Marmot tents? I am looking at a Limelight 2 from Marmot, and it includes a free footprint and gear loft. It fits the budget and the weight I would like to carry. Plus I can get 20% off right now through their current promotion for members. Any suggestions? Thanks!

#132122 - 04/15/10 12:43 PM Re: 2 person tent [Re: Wstrnsky]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
For a 2 person double wall tent I'd look at the new Big Agnes ultralight tent. I forget the name but I think it has "Creek" in it. It's currently the lightest 2 person double wall tent out there.

Eric

#132127 - 04/15/10 02:45 PM Re: 2 person tent [Re: 300winmag]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Fly Creek, I believe.

#132131 - 04/15/10 03:57 PM Re: 2 person tent [Re: Wstrnsky]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I just bought the REI Half Dome 2 plus. It is a little heavier than what I would like but it is larger than most 2 person tents. The only time I will end up taking it is when my gf goes with me. If she is happy then I will be happy smile

#132135 - 04/15/10 05:19 PM Re: 2 person tent [Re: Ewker]
frediver Offline

Look at the dimensions of the tents, nowdays if you really want a real two person tent you better order a 3 person model.
Most all current two person models are really only suitable for two very-very close friends smile

#132137 - 04/15/10 07:56 PM Re: 2 person tent [Re: Wstrnsky]
Andy Offline

Loc: Ohio
We have the Limelight 2P and we like it, it's a pretty nice tent and the two vestibules are nice. It's not terribly light but if you have an extra sack (or not) you can split it up between two people and it's reasonable. It is not a cramped 2P tent. The shape is a little oddball but it really sheds the wind well and it has good ventilation.

Some annoyances - plan on ditching the stakes. And for some reason, Marmot keeps insisting on using a cord-lock instead of a small plastic toggle for the door and fly stays. I appreciate the thought but I haven't needed 4 extra cord-locks on a trip yet. It's hard to secure the fly or door back with those cord-locks when you're wearing gloves. I need to replace them. Finally, the gear loft is a not a selling point. I mean, it's there, but it reduces the headroom by 6 inches right in the center of the tent. You eat it every time you sit up. I moved the attachment points down to the foot end of the tent to make it more of an "attic" over my legs and feet. Much better.

#132139 - 04/15/10 08:07 PM Re: 2 person tent [Re: Wstrnsky]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
The only traditional tents I have direct experience with are the REI Halfdome & something old by Eureka. My wife and I cut back the weight last year by upgrading from the Halfdome to a Tarptent brand Double Rainbow, but it took a tiny bit of getting used to - it's a single wall, non-freestanding tent, and as such it sometimes gets a little bit of condensation inside. Not so much as to create an issue, though. It's rated as a 3-season tent but I upped its windworthiness more by adding a long spectra guyline to each of the two loops on the center ridge, sort of like a Hilleberg Akto.

If I did the whole gear purchase over again I would've skipped the double-wall and gone straight to a tent by Tarptent or Six Moon Designs. I'd still recommend a double-wall for cold weather or car camping, though.

I hope this helps. It pays to at look at a tent in person before buying, but it's harder to do with some of the more obscure brands.

#132141 - 04/15/10 09:26 PM Re: 2 person tent [Re: Wstrnsky]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Welcome! If you haven't already found them, there are lots of excellent articles on lightening your pack and on gear selection listed in the left-hand column of http://www.backpacking.net/, the home page of this site.

Another good site for gear selection is Mark Verber's website. Lots of ideas for gear, from the latest technology to ultra-low-budget alternatives, which is frequently updated (I don't know how Mark does it!). Also tons of links to reviews and other sites.

You will often find better and lighter gear choices if you do considerable research outside retail stores. Unfortunately many outdoor stores (especially the big chains like REI, whose idea of "ultralight" is half again as heavy as I'd ever want to carry) are mostly interested in loading you down with heavy high-priced gear and lightening your wallet! The above sites will help you get started on your research.

I personally prefer a single-wall tent with plenty of ventilation--Tarptent's Squall 2 or Double Rainbow are good places to start, and have a lot more floor space than most 2-person double-wall tents. If you must have a double-wall tent, consider Tarptent's Scarp 2, roomier and lighter than most 2-person double-wall tents and, most important, you can pitch the waterproof fly first and the inner tent underneath so the latter doesn't get wet. Forget tent footprints, too--that's another sales gimmick--they are extremely heavy. I don't use a footprint at all but just make sure stones and sticks are removed from my tent site (something you want to do anyway). If you feel that you must use a footprint, and if you'll be camping on muddy sites it's probably a good idea, cut a piece of plastic painter's dropcloth to the shape of your tent floor but about 2" less on each side (you don't want water running down the side of your tent to get onto the plastic underneath and make puddles under your floor). You can buy many years' worth of these for the price of a commercial footprint. The gear loft is another item you'll undoubtedly never use--again, it adds weight and more important, takes away your head room! Gear not needed in the tent can be stored in the vestibule, and of course anything with food or cosmetics needs to be hung (or in a bear canister if required) well away from the tent.

Most of the best and innovative gear these days is made by small "cottage" manufacturers and sold on the internet. You do have to be prepared to pay return shipping cost if the item isn't what you want, but you're still liable to spend less than you would at the big stores. I frankly buy at REI only if it's a spendy item that I'm a bit dubious about and think I might have to return.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/15/10 09:35 PM)

#132180 - 04/16/10 09:27 PM Re: 2 person tent [Re: Wstrnsky]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
You might also consider the Big Big Agnes Seedhouse 2

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#132184 - 04/16/10 09:36 PM Re: 2 person tent [Re: Wstrnsky]
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
I have to agree with what everyone else has said thus far. But in regards to Marmot's quality, if that's what you're asking about, I've never regretted buying any of the Marmot gear I own. Not the lightest stuff out there, but good quality fabrics, construction, etc. But if you're looking for the lightest stuff out there, check into Tarptent models or the Big Agnes Fly Creek 2.

#132319 - 04/19/10 11:55 AM Re: 2 person tent [Re: Wstrnsky]
ohiohiker Offline

Loc: Ohio
Consider a Tarptent Scarp 2. It's a double wall tent with both mesh and solid interiors available. I have one on order.

Edited by ohiohiker (04/19/10 11:55 AM)

#132333 - 04/19/10 05:51 PM Re: 2 person tent [Re: ohiohiker]
Wstrnsky Offline

Loc: Montana, USA
Wow I really like the Scarp 2. The big agnes tents are also very nice. Decisions decisions ! Thanks everyone for your help it is greatly apreciated.

#132613 - 04/24/10 03:10 AM Re: 2 person tent [Re: Wstrnsky]
countr21 Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
I also recommend the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2. I love mine. Pretty darn light, very roomy for one person, sets up in about 4 minutes (that's from the sack to full set up), and stands up to the Colorado winds.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum