Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131394 - 03/28/10 04:39 PM DIY 4.2 oz trekking poles on the cheap
taM Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
So, after a recent trip, wherein I decided I'd give a pair of hiking sticks a try, though they happened to be the natural, formerly alive (read two sticks I found on the trail) version, I decided trekking poles would be a good investment. Add to that, I just purchased a TT Contrail second hand from the classifieds section on here, so it became even more of a requirement.

Being a frugal person of an engineering background, I figured: why not make my own? I didn't feel like paying a fortune, and didn't feel I absolutely needed telescoping of the poles, so I set off making my own Lightrek 3 ripoffs.

Helpful in this endeavor was that a friend of the family is a former golf-club maker, who sort of owes my dad one. My dad is a retired computer systems programmer and as a hobby, takes care of computer problems for friends. This guy had a few pairs of graphite driver shafts lying around collecting dust that he donated to the cause. FREE!

On to the tips, Leki makes tips sold fairly commonly at many outdoors stores for relatively inexpensive. REI down the street sells them for $13, which seemed reasonable enough. I then realized I had my dividend check available, so $13 bucks gets also reduced to FREE!

Onto the grips. I felt in the spirit of keeping with the free thing, I could make my own, and considered it. I found a writeup from another board describing making grips out of "Floam" a kids modeling clay sort of stuff. I decided to forgo that and just purchase a proven piece of gear from Gossamer. I talked to Grant over at GG about dimensions and attachment of their grips and it appeared that they'd work. He recommended they be attached with Gorilla Glue, but it turned out that they went on so tightly with no adhesive that I've decided to leave them simply pressed on. I'm 99% certain they're not going anywhere with how hard they were to get on. Cost: $25 shipped.

So, all-told, my out of pocket cost was $25 bucks. The poles are 48" tip to top, and weigh in at 4.2 ounces. That's 1.7 oz more than the Lightrek 3's but these things are unbelievably stout, and I'm ok with the weight for the cost.

Final Product:

#131430 - 03/29/10 08:53 AM Re: DIY 4.2 oz trekking poles on the cheap [Re: taM]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
They look like they came from the taM factory!

#131434 - 03/29/10 09:53 AM Re: DIY 4.2 oz trekking poles on the cheap [Re: taM]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
They look good. Keep us updated on how you like them. Before I lunge into the trekking pole crowd, I decided to go cheap as well. Those Walmart ones were too expensive for me, so I just went to a thrift store and bought some old ski poles that were the right height for $3.

I haven't weighed them yet, but I am sure yours are way lighter.

#131485 - 03/29/10 09:20 PM Re: DIY 4.2 oz trekking poles on the cheap [Re: finallyME]
taM Offline

I was most certainly skeptical of poles at first, I always thought they looked sort of goofy, and would be a pain to carry, but when you hit big inclines or declines, they're worth their weight in gold, at least my found sticks were, and my initial testing of these indicated the same.

I wish I had done a little more documenting of the assembly process, it really couldn't have been simpler though. Everything is basically interference fit...pressed together with a little bit of elbow grease.

I'm a tinkerer, and get a good deal of fulfillment from using stuff I've made myself, and it's been awhile since I've made something useful. I was long overdue!

#131522 - 03/30/10 01:05 PM Re: DIY 4.2 oz trekking poles on the cheap [Re: taM]
bryanonfilm Offline

taM, they look great!! How'd they end up working for the Contrail?

#131547 - 03/30/10 06:29 PM Re: DIY 4.2 oz trekking poles on the cheap [Re: bryanonfilm]
taM Offline

They seem to work very well, although I've only had the tent up twice, once in the yard outside my apt. and again to run some silicone stripes down the floor to cut down on slippage.

I'm taking it out on a 2-nighter this weekend in the Smokies, so we'll see how I like it after that smile

#131565 - 03/30/10 09:46 PM Re: DIY 4.2 oz trekking poles on the cheap [Re: taM]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Awsome inginuity! I bought a cheap pair of k swiss at the farm ad fleet . so far they are ok but I am sure much heavyer than yours. I machined a monopod adapter on the lathe for my camera to screw to the top when needed. Enjoy the smokies I am going in two weeks as well.

#131570 - 03/30/10 11:05 PM Re: DIY 4.2 oz trekking poles on the cheap [Re: Kent W]
taM Offline

Originally Posted By Kent W
Awsome inginuity! I bought a cheap pair of k swiss at the farm ad fleet . so far they are ok but I am sure much heavyer than yours. I machined a monopod adapter on the lathe for my camera to screw to the top when needed. Enjoy the smokies I am going in two weeks as well.

Where are you from in IL?

I'm an illinoisan myself, but transplanted to TN last year for a job...

#131639 - 04/06/10 12:45 AM Re: DIY 4.2 oz trekking poles on the cheap [Re: taM]
taM Offline

Slight update:

Took the poles out for a 2-night trip in the Smokies this past weekend. Over 7,000 feet of cumulative elevation gain, and nearly 30 miles over 3 days. These babies really performed nicely, with one exception. Grant at GG was correct in his recommendation that the grips really need to be glued to the pole blanks. By mile 15 I could start feeling the grips sliding down the poles, as evidenced by the top of the grips mushrooming up a bit. Nothing a little bit of constant readjustment every few miles couldn't keep in check.

First order of business when I got home was removing the grips and Gorilla-Gluing them back on. They feel MUCH more solid now, and have no doubt they'll continue to be one of my favorite pieces of gear. I'm left wondering how I lived without poles for so long!

#131659 - 04/06/10 04:03 PM Re: DIY 4.2 oz trekking poles on the cheap [Re: taM]
n74740 Offline

Oh good, someone else from IL is on here! I just joined and was afraid that only people from mountain states were here. Must be N. IL if you're referencing Farm and Fleet (one of my fav stores)!

#131779 - 04/08/10 02:49 PM Re: DIY 4.2 oz trekking poles on the cheap [Re: taM]
CamperHiker Offline

Loc: UT
4.2 is light.
I like Finallyme's approach, thrift store cheap.

---------------
www.branchwhipped.com outdoor gear giveaways, reviews, adventures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum